Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,019 members, 7,799,477 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? (8092 Views)

Samuel Okonta And Blood Thirsty Rivers State Politicians. / How Effective Are Lagos Laws To Lagosians(photo) / Most Kidnappers In The South East Are Lagos Returnees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 9:11pm On Jan 09, 2011
fstranger1:

The Oyo dialect. Also spoken by the Modakekes ans some other people.

What differenciates them from the "mainstream" yoruba? What is the difference in pronounciation?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ekubear1: 9:11pm On Jan 09, 2011
@kalokalo: Interesting. I think this is true of many other groups, though. I doubt Yoruba in Lagos will easily understand whatever dialect of Yoruba is spoken in some village in Kogi State.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

Thank you for the clarification. If you do not mind this question, do ijebus see themselves as yorubas?

I'll say we are yorubas for the fact that we bear yoruba names and have cultural affinity and common ancestry with other yorubas. However our dialect is not understood by other yorubas.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

grin grin grin grin. Even I can understand the ekiti yoruba (if that is what you have been typing on NL). Its the same as the normal yoruba so what is the difference?

Nah, Ekiti barely sounds like the "normal" Yoruba lol. Very unique and beautiful. If you hear it, you wont understand it.
I've been typing the "normal" Yoruba on NL.

Mi ni ki o mo a s'ule ria mon . . . . Ekiti for "I told you not to come to our house anymore".

Mo ni ko ma wa s'ile wa mon . . . "Normal" Yoruba.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jan 09, 2011
fstranger1:

The Oyo dialect. Also spoken by the Modakekes ans some other people.
You shut up. Ekiti Yoruba is one of the most ugly version I have ever heard.  Calling Ile, Ule.   .   .   who does that?

A beg soffry, soffry o. Unless you want to start an inter-tribal warfare o.  grin

Calling Ile, Ule.   .   .   who does that?"  I do.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

So what is the real version of yoruba?

Yoruba spoken by the people we call ara-oke i.e. Oyo, Ogbomosho and those areas
jason123:

Thank you for the clarification. If you do not mind this question, do ijebus see themselves as yorubas?

I believe they do know but they really do not consider Oduduwa as their progenitor
kalokalo:

This is not true. The Ijebu language is just a dialect of yoruba. However ijebu is completely unintelligible to non-ijebus. I sometimes think it should be its own language since I can be speaking Ijebu and a regular Yoruba person will have no clue what I'm saying. This is analogous to Ngwa dialect and mainstream Igbo.

I really struggle to under Ijebu Yoruba myself and I speak both mainstream and Awori Yoruba fluently. Ijebu Yoruba maybe an evolution of Yoruba and whatever their previous language. As I said before I'm just repeating what I heard from the Ijebus themselves and I don't think it can get any truer if the person telling you is the Awujale of Ijebu land
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 09, 2011
Aigbofa:

A beg soffry, soffry o. Unless you want to start an inter-tribal warfare o.  grin

No mind am. . . I no get that pepeye's time today grin
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 9:17pm On Jan 09, 2011
kalokalo:

I'll say we are yorubas for the fact that we bear yoruba names and have cultural affinity and common ancestry with other yorubas. However our dialect is not understood by other yorubas.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. However, is it not possible for yorubas to drop their dialects and adopt a single dialect (whichever dialect I personally do not mind) or do we have to wait for the culture to SLOWLY evolve by itself as it is doing now?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

Okay, thanks for the clarification. However, is it not possible for yorubas to drop their dialects and adopt a single dialect (whichever dialect I personally do not mind) or do we have to wait for the culture to SLOWLY evolve by itself as it is doing now?

I think this is happening already
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ekubear1: 9:19pm On Jan 09, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Don't mind him. Igbos own 70% of the properties in Abuja according to El Rufai and not 70% of the population. Many half illiterates in NL.

Err, is this true? Or are they all absentee landlords? 70% of the properties, yet well under 20% of the pop? Not saying it is impossible, but just seems weird.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 9:21pm On Jan 09, 2011
naijababe:

I also speak the mainstream yoruba as well as the awori yoruba (because of my stay in lagos). However, I am just happy all the dialects are dying out and we are speaking a mainstream language we all understand.

Aigbofa:

grin grin grin grin.

Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by fstranger1: 9:22pm On Jan 09, 2011
naijababe:

In your dreams!

If you think we Ifes will ever speak the Oyo version, You are sorely mistaken!
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Katsumoto: 9:23pm On Jan 09, 2011
eku_bear:

Really? What do you mean by this? It is only recently that this concept of "Yoruba" came about. But long before then was an acknowledgement of Ile Ife/Oduduwa as a common origin.

So do you mean they don't think they are from Ife originally?

Yoruba did not originate from Oduduwa. When Oduduwa got to Ife, there were Yoruba people there and the ruler was called Oreluere. There were at least 5 rulers before the Oreluere that Oduduwa met. Oduduwa himself may have been a Bini prince called EKALADERHAN, the run away son of the Ogiso of Igodomigodo (Benin). The rulers at Ife were from Ugbo (Ilaje); after the uprising, they returned to Ugbo and Oduduwa was asked to become ruler at Ife.

According to oral traditions, Orunmila is the progenitor of the Yoruba race. He had 16 children whom he sent to rule over 16 towns including Benin (then called Ado).
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by fstranger1: 9:23pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

I[b] also speak the mainstream yoruba as well as the awori yoruba[/b] (because of my stay in lagos). However, I am just happy all the dialects are dying out and we are speaking a mainstream language we all understand.

No you dont speak mainstream Yoruba

What you speak is some ghettorised Yoruba.

Stop insulting the intelligence of the Yorubas.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jan 09, 2011
I have had no problem understanding other Yoruba dialects. My mom used to do business with the Aworis and I used to go with her.  I picked up the awori dialect in less than a month. I have no problem picking up other Yoruba dialects with the exception of owo, ondo, ekiti etc. Those ones are tough for us.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jan 09, 2011
Katsumoto:

Yoruba did not originate from Oduduwa. When Oduduwa got to Ife, there were Yoruba people there and the ruler was called Oreluere. There were at least rulers before the Oreluere that Oduduwa met. Oduduwa himself may have been a Bini prince called EKALADERHAN, the run away son of the Ogiso of Igodomigodo (Benin). The rulers at Ife were from Ugbo (Ilaje); after the uprising, they returned to Ugbo and Oduduwa was asked to become ruler at Ife.

According to oral traditions, Orunmila is the progenitor of the Yoruba race. He had 16 children whom he sent to rule over 16 towns including Benin (then called Ado).

Interesting. . . .never knew. . . . I wish they taught Yoruba history over here.
No, I am not going to read some books. . . .yet.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

Adopt a single dialect? There's no reason for that. Things will gradually change and evolve in a way no one can predict. I suspect though, more and more people will speak the bastardized Lagos version.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by fstranger1: 9:26pm On Jan 09, 2011
Katsumoto:

Yoruba did not originate from Oduduwa. When Oduduwa got to Ife, there were Yoruba people there and the ruler was called Oreluere. There were at least rulers before the Oreluere that Oduduwa met. Oduduwa himself may have been a Bini prince called EKALADERHAN, the run away son of the Ogiso of Igodomigodo (Benin). The rulers at Ife were from Ugbo (Ilaje); after the uprising, they returned to Ugbo and Oduduwa was asked to become ruler at Ife.

Sorry, Are you Yoruba?

It is important because your version of Yoruba history is simply not true!
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 9:26pm On Jan 09, 2011
fstranger1:

In your dreams!

If you think we Ifes will ever speak the Oyo version, You are sorely mistaken!

grin grin grin.

Katsumoto:

Pls, where did lamurudu stuff come from?

fstranger1:

No you dont speak mainstream Yoruba

What you speak is some ghettorised Yoruba.

Stop insulting the intelligence of the Yorubas.

How cheesy
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by bestads(m): 9:27pm On Jan 09, 2011
You have all digressed from the topic in question as to why there more moslems of lagos state origin holding political offices than their xtian brothers. we are not talking of an igbo man or hausa man being the governor but i want to find out if those of you living in lagos have noticed that most of the political office holders in lagos state are mostly moslems,

1 THE governors have always been moslems

2 the commissioners have more moslems

3 the LG chairmen have more moslems

4 the counsellors have more moslems

5 the state house of assembly has more moslems

6 their senators are mostly muslims

7 their indigens in federal house of reps are mostly moslems

lastly you must have noticed that about 80% of their OBAS are moslems.

please let us be focused
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 9:28pm On Jan 09, 2011
Aigbofa:

Adopt a single dialect? There's no reason for that. Things will gradually change and evolve in a way no one can predict. I suspect though, more and more people will speak the bastardized Lagos version.

True!
fstranger1:

Sorry, Are you Yoruba?

What is your version?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by fstranger1: 9:28pm On Jan 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Interesting. . . .never knew. . . . I wish they taught Yoruba history over here.
No, I am not going to read some books. . . .yet.

Stop posting

Just watch Ok

You seem to be more confused than our igbo brother, Jason!

Let me handle Katsumoto.   .  .
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ekubear1: 9:28pm On Jan 09, 2011
Aigbofa:

Yep. Lagos version has numerical and economic might to support it.

@Katsumoto: Interesting.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 9:29pm On Jan 09, 2011
bestads:

You have all digressed from the topic in question as to why there more moslems of lagos state origin holding political offices than their xtian brothers. we are not talking of an igbo man or hausa man being the governor but i want to find out if those of you living in lagos have noticed that most of the political office holders in lagos state are mostly moslems,

1 THE governors have always been moslems

2 the commissioners have more moslems

3 the LG chairmen have more moslems

4 the counsellors have more moslems

5 the state house of assembly has more moslems

6 their senators are mostly muslims

7 their indigens in federal house of reps are mostly moslems

lastly you must have noticed that about 80% of their OBAS are moslems.

please let us be focused

Yorubas like it that way! WETIN BI YOUR OWN?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 9:31pm On Jan 09, 2011
fstranger1:

Stop posting

Just watch Ok

grin grin grin grin ROMFL!!! I am the itsekiri group of yoruba! KO DE SI ENI TO LE SO FUN MI PE MO KIN SE OMO YORUBA! angry
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jan 09, 2011
fstranger1:

Stop posting

Just watch Ok

Hehehe that would be the day  cheesy
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Katsumoto: 9:31pm On Jan 09, 2011
fstranger1:

Sorry, Are you Yoruba?

Are you sure you want to engage me?

What version of Yoruba origins do you know? I do not want to digress too much from the original topic. You can open another thread.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

I don't think that will happen.  Language variations occur due to location of speakers. As long as all yoruba speakers do not live in the same area and come in contact with each constantly to maintain uniformity of tongue, dialects (language variations) will continue to exist.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ekubear1: 9:32pm On Jan 09, 2011
@Katsumoto: Reverend Johnson had some theory about how the Yoruba are some descendants of Gnostic Christians. Do you remember reading about this? It sounded pretty fake/suspect to me. Just wondering what you thought of it.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by fstranger1: 9:34pm On Jan 09, 2011
eku_bear:

Yep. Lagos version has numerical and economic might to support it.

Everything is not about economics! Where do you think the people in Lagos come from? If at all, the language is going to eveolve into one language, the Oyo version aka the one spoken by the ara okes, would eventually be the dominant one.

@Katsumoto: Interesting.

Believe those who seek the truth, doubt those who find it; doubt all, but do not doubt yourself

Katsumoto's version is not accurate! But I can understand why you think it is interesting!
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 9:35pm On Jan 09, 2011
eku_bear:

@Katsumoto: Reverend Johnson had some theory about how the Yoruba are some descendants of Gnostic Christians. Do you remember reading about this? It sounded pretty fake/suspect to me. Just wondering what you thought of it.

I read that book. Its quite good
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ekubear1: 9:36pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

I read that book. Its quite good

I sorta want to Wikify it (copyright has expired, I believe.) I showed it to the Kabiyesi of our town. He has a copy himself too.

It would be pretty useful if all of it were online in a nice, accessible format for anyone to read. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Fire Raging At Makoko Ebute-Meta / Soldiers Retreat As Angry Biafra Protesters Barricade Onitsha Headbridge(Pictur) / Police Take Over Edo Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.