Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:55 PM

Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) - Crime (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) (309538 Views)

Picture Of Would Be Boko Haram Suicide Bomber (warning Disturbing Image) / Face Of The Kaduna Suicide Bomber....warning Disturbing Graphic Material / Father Accused Me Of Witchcraft, Bathed Me With Acid (WARNING:disturbing Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by VictorFegal: 11:54am On Feb 27, 2015
aljharem11:

why not post pictures of the bomb in obalende

why not post pictures on how the biafran army killed a pregnant woman and her unborn baby

why not post pictures of the atrocities committed by biafran soldiers in edo state

why only biafran victims
. Biafran soldiers did no such tin, by d way hope u still remember what started did fight, how can you say u have conscience and support evil. men were been killed,harrased, properties destroyed just because they live in other part of their country.
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by preciousswett: 6:31pm On Feb 27, 2015
Akhenaten:
Biafran Children
People that agitate for war,unrest and violence all in the name of power struggle and politics obviously haven't seen this picture.
Imagine being a parent in this situation,no access to food,water,clothes for your starving and sick child.
Dear Lord may the plans of the enemies of Nigeria never prosper

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by zimoni(f): 8:08pm On Feb 27, 2015
What a thread.
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by BinghiNya(m): 8:48am On Feb 28, 2015
Gory pictures, I don't pray for war cos the sights are unpleasant. The Igbos started the whole mess by killing ahmadu bello, tafawa balewa and other leaders and sparing igbo leaders, may ojukwu rot in hell for starting the war out of his selfish desire to be a head of state,

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by zendy: 11:17am On Mar 02, 2015
My father was a captain in the Biafran army and has told all about the war. One thing that should be noted here is that freedom is always purchased in blood. Liberation costs lives and suffering to get. All the Igbos and their brothers in the south-South asked is to be accorded their God given right to decide if they want to be Nigerian or not. But the Yorubas and the northerners were far more interested in the oil to care about that. Nigeria is a nation built and sustained on one big lie,that we are a United people. The Igbo,Yoruba and Hausa man can't even stand each other let alone unite. One day,my people the Igbos will once again be free of the bondage known as Nigeria and when that time come,what a glorious moment it shall be.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by tonychristopher: 1:24pm On Mar 02, 2015
Signature: ...........“Before I came to Biafra, I heard that Biafrans fought like heroes, but after my visit to Biafra, I can tell you that Heroes fight like Biafrans. John De St. Jorre reported the words of a French deputy who visited Biafra during that war ......

I am so proud of my igbo roots
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by tonychristopher: 1:26pm On Mar 02, 2015
Akhenaten:
Biafran child soldier said to be about 13, and one of the Onumonus, and former French Legionnaire Rolf Steiner awaiting orders

.........“Before I came to Biafra, I heard that Biafrans fought like heroes, but after my visit to Biafra, I can tell you that Heroes fight like Biafrans. John De St. Jorre reported the words of a French deputy who visited Biafra during that war ......
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by zendy: 10:58am On Mar 06, 2015
chichiman:
It's nice to post all this pictures (my unreserved sympathies to all) showing how the starvation policy of the Nigerian government impacted seriously on the Biafrans. It's also fitting to want to ask what the problem was for the Igbos to want to break away from Nigeria. The reality was and still is, the Igbos, under the leadership of Ojukwu, ought to have given serious consideration to a number of issues before declaring their secession from the Federal Republic of Nigeria. These issues which were succinctly highlighted, four years ago, by a Nairalander are as follows.

"1) The declaration of secession was invalid and unconstitutional, having been reached by military fiat, as opposed to measurable democratic participation.

"2)The decision to secede was made without commensurate investment in weapons and weapons sources, a pre-requisite for any military conflict, particularly against a major African power supported by global powers like the USA, Britain and the (then) USSR.

"3)The decision to secede was made without commensurate investment in food and agricultural production, food import sources and entry routes, thus placing the Igbos at a distinct disadvantage, and at the mercy of the Nigerian govt - 'the enemy'. In fact the foolhardiness of such lack of strategic preparation accounts for the embarrassing statements recently credited to Chinua Achebe about Awo's conduct during the war. The failure of Biafran strategic thinking is evinced by Achebe's inadvertent admission that Biafra's survival was contingent upon Awo's sense of morality or lack thereof. The unwarranted power over Igbo lives thus granted Awo by this clumsy admission of his pivotal role in the conflict ought not to be lost on Achebe. Question is, WHY should Awo have had that power over Igbo destiny? He wouldn't have, had the Igbo leadership apriori done its homework.

"4)Ojukwu's claim that he declared secession out of a need to ''protect Igbo lives'' was a dishonest and disingenous rationalisation, since there was no advance of federal troops towards the south or Igbo territory in the months leading up to the declaration. The political dispute in fact centred on the alleged failure of the FG to bring to justice the perpetrators of the northern massacres of Igbos in 1966. The immediate political event preceding the secession declaration was the announcement of the 12 state creation by the FG in May 1967. This meant Ojukwu's powers became territorially limited to the much smaller East-Central State Igbo heartland, as opposed to the entire East, which he ruled in his former capacity as military governor of the Eastern Region. The day after the FG announced the 12 state solution, Ojukwu declared secession. WHAT was the connection between the 12 state announcement and Ojukwu's declaration of secession? Why should we continue to be fed the line that he seceded in order to protect Igbo lives, if, as appears to be the case, he seceded because he could not countenance himself being limited to the East-Central State courtesy of his arch-enemy, Gowon's 'machinations'??

"5) Why did the Biafran leadership bank on nations like France to provide military support to her secessionist bid, knowing full well that France was a staunch ally of the United Kingdom, who supported the Nigerian federation?

"Why were they so naive as to count on French support? Why were they so naive as to discount the fact that Nigeria had military and diplomatic support from the USA as well as the Soviet Union? Meaning they couldn't take advantage of the Cold War rivalry involving those two nations? Why were these factors NOT taken into account before taking steps that would lead to military conflict?"
https://www.nairaland.com/1068029/somebody-needs-write-book-foolishness

To your 5 points I say this.(1) The secession of eastern Nigeria as Biafra was far more valid and sacrosanct than the existence of Nigeria because unlike Nigeria where the British used superior military power to force different ethnic groups together without their consent,Ojukwu sought and obtained the permission of the Eastern Nigeria consultative forum (the body representing all the districts in eastern Nigeria) before he declared Biafra.

(2) You should remember that the timing of the secession. Ojukwu declared Biafra in line with Gowon reneging on the Aburi accord by dividing eastern Nigeria into states. It left Ojukwu without the ample time to arms as he would have wanted to before war erupted.

(3)There was enough investment in food production,infact,there was an initiative for aggressive food production to feed the masses however,in the war situation it was not sustainable. The largest food producing area like Abakilki was lost early in the war.

(4) Ojukwu did not declare Biafra just because of defence alone although just the fact that over 30,000 easterners were massacred under Gowons administration was enough reason to seceed. What kind if person stand by and watches over 30,000 people murdered but still chants 'one Nigeria'? Ojukwu was forced to seceed by a combination of Gowon breaking the Aburi accord he signed in Ghana by creating States,the continued massacre of easterners and the overwhelming mandate given to him to pull the eastern region out if Nigeria. Either way you look at it,Ojukwu had the moral high ground to declare Biafra.

(5)remarkably,countries like France and Portugal did lend support to Biafra although it was no where near the huge support Gowon and Nigeria got from Britain,Russia and the Arab league. Despite all that,Biafra still fought on for 3 years. You can imagine what would have obtained if the support had been equal. Biafra represented the right of a people to be free and it still does.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by kikuyu1(m): 5:37pm On Mar 08, 2015
Wow! This thread has modified my knowledge on Biafra. Things aren't as clearcut as I had thought. In Kenya, Moi's people were openly calling for Kikuyus to be 'cut down to size like Ibos' in the early 90s at the onset of multipartyism. I honestly think Biafra's history and the Ibo condition today is what avoided all out civil war for which I thank older Kikuyus wholeheartedly.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by venatus25(m): 5:43pm On Mar 09, 2015
Akhenaten:
You foolish people, while you all are dealing with hypothetical situations, you all should be discussing these pictures I have posted.

I have shown you all a rich catalog of the Nigerian Civil War.

Are you currently a military official. Bro you be mr. no nonsense. I admire this attitude of yours.
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by delsuontop(m): 6:18pm On Mar 09, 2015
I very bad, Imaging what will happen if such occurs again in Nigeria.
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by biminiflash: 10:22am On Aug 08, 2015
Sad and sickening biminiflash.com.ng
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by shady26(m): 10:17pm On Oct 24, 2015
They murdered all those Biafran Children because of oil.......no wonder the same oil became a curse to them,impoverishing more the region that held unto its wells.....Blood oil......
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by theDEVILisHERE: 11:01am On Oct 25, 2015
shady26:
They murdered all those Biafran Children because of oil.......no wonder the same oil became a curse to them,impoverishing more the region that held unto its wells.....Blood oil......

Biafra is unquenchable
Its restoration is imminent
No body can stop it
No matter what they do
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by j1mmy: 3:29pm On Oct 25, 2015
if the job was completed IGBO criminals will not be destroying nijja passport today

2 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 25, 2015
I am Yoruba but I think the Igbos have been unfairly treated. Perhaps the sufferings of the war was compounded by the greed and stubbornness of some of their leaders, especially towards the end of the war. But I think it was wrong the way igbos were slaughtered in the North for sentimental reasons. I believe most Yorubas that fought in the war did it because of Awolowo and because of the attempted invasion of Ore. However, we should not blame ourselves, since none of us young, ordinary Nigerians participated in the decisions then but we should not forget the horors of war but rather strive towards love and unity. If any tribe doesn't want to be part of Nigeria, they should have a referendum and be allowed to leave. God will punish all those who deliberately punished innocent people.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by bidexiii: 7:24pm On Oct 25, 2015
atmy:
I am Yoruba but I think the Igbos have been unfairly treated. Perhaps the sufferings of the war was compounded by the greed and stubbornness of some of their leaders, especially towards the end of the war. But I think it was wrong the way igbos were slaughtered in the North for sentimental reasons. I believe most Yorubas that fought in the war did it because of Awolowo and because of the attempted invasion of Ore. However, we should not blame ourselves, since none of us young, ordinary Nigerians participated in the decisions then but we should not forget the horors of war but rather strive towards love and unity. If any tribe doesn't want to be part of Nigeria, they should have a referendum and be allowed to leave. God will punish all those who deliberately punished innocent people.

God bless you for your contribution.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Rotimi47: 8:17pm On Oct 25, 2015
zendy:

To your 5 points I say this.(1) The secession of eastern Nigeria as Biafra was far more valid and sacrosanct than the existence of Nigeria because unlike Nigeria where the British used superior military power to force different ethnic groups together without their consent,Ojukwu sought and obtained the permission of the Eastern Nigeria consultative forum (the body representing all the districts in eastern Nigeria) before he declared Biafra.

(2) You should remember that the timing of the secession. Ojukwu declared Biafra in line with Gowon reneging on the Aburi accord by dividing eastern Nigeria into states. It left Ojukwu without the ample time to arms as he would have wanted to before war erupted.

(3)There was enough investment in food production,infact,there was an initiative for aggressive food production to feed the masses however,in the war situation it was not sustainable. The largest food producing area like Abakilki was lost early in the war.

(4) Ojukwu did not declare Biafra just because of defence alone although just the fact that over 30,000 easterners were massacred under Gowons administration was enough reason to seceed. What kind if person stand by and watches over 30,000 people murdered but still chants 'one Nigeria'? Ojukwu was forced to seceed by a combination of Gowon breaking the Aburi accord he signed in Ghana by creating States,the continued massacre of easterners and the overwhelming mandate given to him to pull the eastern region out if Nigeria. Either way you look at it,Ojukwu had the moral high ground to declare Biafra.

(5)remarkably,countries like France and Portugal did lend support to Biafra although it was no where near the huge support Gowon and Nigeria got from Britain,Russia and the Arab league. Despite all that,Biafra still fought on for 3 years. You can imagine what would have obtained if the support had been equal. Biafra represented the right of a people to be free and it still does.
The igbos got lots of support in terms of arms,training & foreign fighters, even some Yoruba military experts fought on the biafran side but the reason they lost is as a result of Biafra invading Ore a Yoruba town in Ondo State; this resulted in many Yorubas who initially sat on the fence to enlist in military that went on to win the war.

If the igbos can stop all these hate against the Yorubas & simply channel the energy towards legally fighting for what they believe; they will be far better for it as more people might support them because you cannot win a fight like this by hating on people but you rather need all the support you can get.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by bidexiii: 7:30pm On Oct 27, 2015
Video shows Radio Biafra’s Nnamdi Kanu soliciting for ammo to fight Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XU2JtlUF6M
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by murphyibiam15(m): 9:33pm On Oct 27, 2015
oderemo:
all these pictures is making me hate your hero ojukwu more. i ve now lost all love for the guy.even @ my age grin grin grin
i beg u please dont spoil the thread with tribalistic statements.

@op God bless u for this info
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by tboynaija: 8:17pm On Dec 28, 2015
No matter what Buhari do Biafra Army and Biafra Defence Academy new Mossberg MVP LC.,The first firearm Biafra Government are ready to export is O. F. Mossberg & Sons firearm, Biafra army will ever handled was a pump-action shotgun. While more than 10 million Mossberg 500s have been sold, my first from this 96-year-old icon was the larger Model 835. Read links
http://arcevacobiafralatestcnnnews..in/
www.biafraarmy.com
www.biafragovernment.com{still on constrution}
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by tboynaija: 8:19pm On Dec 28, 2015
Rotimi47:
The igbos got lots of support in terms of arms,training & foreign fighters, even some Yoruba military experts fought on the biafran side but the reason they lost is as a result of Biafra invading Ore a Yoruba town in Ondo State; this resulted in many Yorubas who initially sat on the fence to enlist in military that went on to win the war.
If the igbos can stop all these hate against the Yorubas & simply channel the energy towards legally fighting for what they believe; they will be far better for it as more people might support them because you cannot win a fight like this by hating on people but you rather need all the support you can get.
No matter what Buhari do Biafra Army and Biafra Defence Academy new Mossberg MVP LC.,The first firearm Biafra Government are ready to export is O. F. Mossberg & Sons firearm, Biafra army will ever handled was a pump-action shotgun. While more than 10 million Mossberg 500s have been sold, my first from this 96-year-old icon was the larger Model 835. Read links
www.biafraarmy.com
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by tboynaija: 8:19pm On Dec 28, 2015
murphyibiam15:

i beg u please dont spoil the thread with tribalistic statements.

@op God bless u for this info
www.biafraarmy.com
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by tboynaija: 8:20pm On Dec 28, 2015
delsuontop:
I very bad, Imaging what will happen if such occurs again in Nigeria.
who told u,,,No matter what Buhari do Biafra Army and Biafra Defence Academy new Mossberg MVP LC.,The first firearm Biafra Government are ready to export is O. F. Mossberg & Sons firearm, Biafra army will ever handled was a pump-action shotgun. While more than 10 million Mossberg 500s have been sold, my first from this 96-year-old icon was the larger Model 835. Read links
www.biafraarmy.com
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by tboynaija: 8:21pm On Dec 28, 2015
shady26:
yes evil hausa people we need No matter what Buhari do Biafra Army and Biafra Defence Academy new Mossberg MVP LC.,The first firearm Biafra Government are ready to export is O. F. Mossberg & Sons firearm, Biafra army will ever handled was a pump-action shotgun. While more than 10 million Mossberg 500s have been sold, my first from this 96-year-old icon was the larger Model 835. Read links
www.biafraarmy.com
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by wexyee: 6:32am On Dec 29, 2015
Akhenaten:
An Igbo soldier captured by Nigerian troops near Owerri in Biafra throws up his hands in anguish as his captors tell him he will die as a traitor, Sept. 1968.
how do you know what they told him... iranu oshi...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by wexyee: 6:35am On Dec 29, 2015
Akhenaten:
Company of Biafran soldiers leave their positions to advance on a Nigerian position 100 yards away during the Aba offensive, Aug. 1968.
where are the idiots that claim biafran soldiers fought Nigerian troops with hand made guns?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by showmedmoney: 6:45am On Dec 29, 2015
Ask am if he has ever seeen war b4 and sey him fit carry gun
Or sleep inside bush.use your brain
e author=Akhenaten post=7496291]

First of all, as the thread creator, I am not trying to glorify anything, I am simply posting pictures of the civil war, which is part of Nigerian history. Why are you afraid of looking at history? That is the problem with this generation. And I find that PATHETIC. [/quote]
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Nature8(m): 9:54am On May 19, 2016
My people really suffered a lot during the Biafra war..
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by lexiyandra(f): 4:04pm On Jun 28, 2016
"your only response to this is "So yeah, it sorta sucks, but that is the way life is". Sociopath you are murderer you will soon be.

ekubear1:
^-- In general, states don't like losing territory. And some of the parts of the Eastern region had large amounts of oil.

So yeah, it sorta sucks, but that is the way life is.
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by bqlekan(m): 7:39pm On Jun 28, 2016
This thread is quite informative.. For 0 - 11, threads like this should be recycled. Maybe some will learn their lessons..

Lalasticlala, mynd44 what do you say?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Cults/gangs: Their Code Name And Orientation. Beware! / My Story As A Cult Member........initiation Phase Included...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.