Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:35 AM

Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country (9050 Views)

UK People Are Miserable, Nigerians Are 'happy' / U.K Is The 2nd Most Miserable Country In The World - MHQ Study Shows / Woman Upset Over Failed Relationship, Smashes Plane Window Mid-flight In China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by optimusprime2(m): 12:35am On May 01, 2020
Nigeria is not a bad country, in reality Nigeria has the template of a global power house, however Nigeria's problem is more of the leadership and the followership pattern.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Mancala: 1:49am On May 01, 2020
Truth be told, only a very small fraction of Nigerians manage to migrate successfully. I read a UN report that showed that about 1 million Nigerians or less than 1% of the population migrates annually to countries all around the world including Benin republic, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, UK, Ireland, Germany, Canada, USA etc. Net migration in 2017/2018 was about 400k. I sympathize with Nigeria's youth who are facing very difficult times and do not blame anyone for trying to leave. If you can successfully migrate and establish yourself in another country, you stand the chance of having the best of both worlds. Earning a decent living stress free in another country which will then enable you to visit and enjoy Nigeria without being beholden to the system.
Having said that, realistically, migration will not be and is not the solution for majority of the population. I really hope things turn around without blowing up completely.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by segzyndpep(m): 2:41am On May 01, 2020
Suspectzero:

I'm not gonna tell you anything direct, but ask yourself this, what will people still be in need of in perilous times like this when they are on lockdown from Corona Virus and are afraid to go out to get it themselves? Then you'll have a good idea what kind of contractor business i got into to make bank wink.

You try but i still cant decode it anyway.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Nobody: 5:57am On May 01, 2020
codeigniter:

Why are u lying 4,400 dollars a month for an emigrant, I think this guy want to sell u something, scam alert
i have ex colleagues in canada in the IT field earning over 6000 CAD a month before tax. Forget o

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Nobody: 5:58am On May 01, 2020
Suspectzero:

I'm not gonna tell you anything direct, but ask yourself this, what will people still be in need of in perilous times like this when they are on lockdown from Corona Virus and are afraid to go out to get it themselves? Then you'll have a good idea what kind of contractor business i got into to make bank wink.
weed, tissue paper, food and alcohol

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by cronsberg: 5:59am On May 01, 2020
segzyndpep:

You try but i still cant decode it anyway.
It seems like he is into those weed smuggling operations across the U.S - Canadian border, if not what will fetch you that amount so quickly. They show them on national geographic. Please don't get into that line of work. The west is truly lands of opportunities though. I have seen crane operators earning 150k dollars a year, that's like 60million naira year, or 5million naira a month. That kind of work is what we in nija will consider undesirable because we think it's low grade or degrading when in the real sense, it's actually high skilled job. Thats how the Nigerian system messes up it's youth with so much theoretical education and completely ignoring hands on or technical education which is in fact the bedrock of development. Most of the developed world owe their development on the backs of technical schools. In the west, to earn a million naira a month is actually extremely easy. Forklift operators, truck drivers, machine tool operators in factories, even construction workers earn that, you just need a few months of training. If you have the means, seriously plan to leave this mess of country. The future is bleak here mehn

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Nobody: 6:08am On May 01, 2020
cronsberg:
It seems like he is into those weed smuggling operations across the U.S - Canadian border, if not what will fetch you that amount so quickly. They show them on national geographic. Please don't get into that line of work. The west is truly lands of opportunities though. I have seen crane operators earning 150k dollars a year, that's like 60million naira year, or 5million naira a month. That kind of work is what we in nija will consider undesirable because we think it's low grade or degrading when in the real sense, it's actually high skilled job. Thats how the Nigerian system messes up it's youth with so much theoretical education and completely ignoring hands on or technical education which is in fact the bedrock of development. Most of the developed world owe their development on the backs of technical schools. In the west, to earn a million naira a month is actually extremely easy. Forklift operators, truck drivers, machine tool operators in factories, even construction workers earn that, you just need a few months of training. If you have the means, seriously plan to leave this mess of country. The future is bleak here mehn
sure there is dignity in labour but also high cost of living. In canada a mini flat in many areas is like 1100 CAD a month. Truck drivers, plumbers, welders, machine operators earn more or equal to most lucrative white collar jobs. Nigeria is bleeped up bro.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by EgunMogaji2: 6:39am On May 01, 2020
Kekereekun123:
sure there is dignity in labour but also high cost of living. In canada a mini flat in many areas is like 1100 CAD a month. Truck drivers, plumbers, welders, machine operators earn more or equal to most lucrative white collar jobs. Nigeria is bleeped up bro.

You mentioned one thing that most do not account for, cost of living. It’s not as if you commute from Oju Elegba to Toronto to work. One has to factor in the high cost of living.

For me in the USA my federal income tax rate was 25% and my state income tax rate was 10%. So for every $100 I make I only take home $65 theoretically. Out of that same $65 I pay for medical insurance, dental insurance and other deductions so at best my take home is around $50 out of that $100

Good luck to all intending travelers but make sure you have the full picture.

I have 3 personal friends (native born Americans) that are waiting for all the Covid stuff to pass so they can migrate out of North America.

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by codeigniter(m): 8:34am On May 01, 2020
Suspectzero:

lol was waiting for someone to call me a liar and a fraud. When you are working the gig economy, the opportunities can be limitless. It's now about how long, hard and smart you are willing to work to make what ou want. You can't imagine it because you are trapped over there in Naija. I feel for you. I get paid every week, no dulling.
Sorry if I sounded rude, it just seem unrealistic. But u can work gigs here in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by segzyndpep(m): 8:43am On May 01, 2020
cronsberg:

Thank you for this deep message,i have read about the truck and forklift drivers,infact during lockdown truck drivers that move essential goods are still working..i wouldnt mind having your email or something i will love to chat or talk with you sir.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 11:30am On May 01, 2020
I don read this thread sotey vex won blow me up. I swear Nigeria can and will never give u want u desire, if truth be said.

Imagine all the stress going to school for fucking 16 years. Only to end up jobless. Let ask our self is this RIGHT?

It only when we take credible step b4 Nigeria can change for better. But till then, we will keep suffering.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Etinosa1234: 12:15pm On May 01, 2020
Asquare84:

Please just go we are tired of Nigeria is bad, life is frustrating and things are not working. Of truth be told how I wish I am in a position to make you a local government chairman let me see how you will turn things around in your community. People like you are only good in portraying Nigeria in a bad light to the whole world only to live Nigeria and go out and be doing drugs, prostitution and internet scam

True Bro... Nigerians are only good at complaining..

This same guy who might not be able to handle a councillors position would be the one complaining about the state governor...
They say.. Nigerian leaders are bad...where are they from... Are they not Nigerians also..
For years .. we've been recycling and using New set of leaders and all we get is still the usual complaint that Nigeria is bad.. Isn't it clear that the problem is no longer the leaders but the people.. The people are the main cause of the problem...they know what the issue is and have decided to close their eyes to it..If the person they voted into Power is doing bad... they'll close their eyes to the nonsense the govt did and even go ahead to defend them sef... but if another govt of which they are not in support. does it.. They'll start accusing vehemently...

Look at this Lockdown for example.. after criticizing the govt for not closing down borders early enough, they still violated the lockdown..This Same pple will still come out and criticise the govt another day
This Op that is criticizing Nigeria like dis...tell him to bring ideas that will lift the country... he'll keep mute...
The same person that has not head any organisation ..Even as little as boyscout will think to rule is very easy...

They complain that Nigeria is bad...but when they finally move abroad.. they'll commit all sorts of evil...
It's because of pple like dem dat Nigeria has strict visa and migration rules
The more we complain...we close our eyes to the opportunities that we can create

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Suspectzero(m): 12:24pm On May 01, 2020
Kekereekun123:
weed, tissue paper, food and alcohol

Only one of those people will die without.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Suspectzero(m): 12:26pm On May 01, 2020
codeigniter:

Sorry if I sounded rude, it just seem unrealistic. But u can work gigs here in nigeria

Lmao of course you have gigs in Naij. You also have bricklayers, and plumbers. Are they smelling the kind of money bricklayers and plumbers are making here? You can't compare the economy here to there which is why i say you can't fathom the difference. Ordinary gig worker here is making more than your local M.D. It's insane. No comparison.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Futuragetty: 12:34pm On May 01, 2020
We will wake up one day and understand that Nigeria has
been mortgaged via loans and that those who did it have
bought citizenship elsewhere.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Nobody: 12:35pm On May 01, 2020
codeigniter:

Why are u lying 4,400 dollars a month for an emigrant, I think this guy want to sell u something, scam alert

Don't mind the thief!! He thinks there aren't experienced people here. He show stop converting shit and use that money according to the standard of life there. What will remain after paying all the bills won't be much.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Nobody: 12:42pm On May 01, 2020
Suspectzero:
Lol i left for Canada last December. My salary at my suit and tie job back in Naij ( i won't call it home) was just under N200k per month.

I just calculated the income i received this month after taxes. Your boy netted N1,700,000 (6,200 CAD). I'm not even doing a professional job. I don't have a boss. I sleep and wake up when i want. I go to work when i want. I can take a month off ( not any time soon tho wink ) and return and still continue making money.

One caveat tho is that i worked every single day to make this. Day and Night. But i enjoy the job so it's nothing to me. Plus making good money is so addicting. I don't anticipate i'll clear this much after tax going forward but i can still net over 1 mill a month if i choose to.

The West is truly the land of opportunity. Dream come true.

Guy stop talking shit!! And factor that your chicken amount to the cost of living in Canada (which is expensive). Yes! That money u make is big compared to the standard of living in Nigeria but shit in Canada!!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Nobody: 1:02pm On May 01, 2020
Suspectzero:

Only one of those people will die without.
tell us na lol. Food?
Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by themaestro08(m): 4:13pm On May 01, 2020
Well, that's quite damming really. I quite agree with much of what you said except that of electricity - here in NY area( Kaduna) I pretty much enjoy up to 17 hours of power. Though I am aware of how deprived some areas are. All in all Nigeria is a joke. And yes if one has the means I suggest emigrating to a better country.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by themaestro08(m): 4:29pm On May 01, 2020
Etinosa1234:

[s][/s]True Bro... Nigerians are only good at complaining..

This same guy who might not be able to handle a councillors position would be the one complaining about the state governor...
They say.. Nigerian leaders are bad...where are they from... Are they not Nigerians also..
For years .. we've been recycling and using New set of leaders and all we get is still the usual complaint that Nigeria is bad.. Isn't it clear that the problem is no longer the leaders but the people.. The people are the main cause of the problem...they know what the issue is and have decided to close their eyes to it..If the person they voted into Power is doing bad... they'll close their eyes to the nonsense the govt did and even go ahead to defend them sef... but if another govt of which they are not in support. does it.. They'll start accusing vehemently...

Look at this Lockdown for example.. after criticizing the govt for not closing down borders early enough, they still violated the lockdown..This Same pple will still come out and criticise the govt another day
This Op that is criticizing Nigeria like dis...tell him to bring ideas that will lift the country... he'll keep mute...
The same person that has not head any organisation ..Even as little as boyscout will think to rule is very easy...

They complain that Nigeria is bad...but when they finally move abroad.. they'll commit all sorts of evil...
It's because of pple like dem dat Nigeria has strict visa and migration rules
The more we complain...we close our eyes to the opportunities that we can create
[s][/s]

Load of nonsense

Nigeria has failed its citizens take it or leave it.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Suspectzero(m): 5:14pm On May 01, 2020
GreenKalada:

Guy stop talking shit!! And factor that your chicken amount to the cost of living in Canada (which is expensive). Yes! That money u make is big compared to the standard of living in Nigeria but shit in Canada!!!

lmao i dont even know what to say to this lool. No point trying to rebut people like you. Believe whatever helps you keep sane in Naij.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Gerrard59(m): 5:17pm On May 01, 2020
cronsberg:
It seems like he is into those weed smuggling operations across the U.S - Canadian border, if not what is in fact the bedrock of development. Most of the developed world owe their development on the backs of technical schools. In the west, to earn a million naira a month is actually extremely easy. Forklift operators, truck drivers, machine mehn

Una don come again. Are you spending in dollars or naira in the west? Have you checked what is the meaning of PPP in economics?

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Suspectzero(m): 5:21pm On May 01, 2020
Kekereekun123:
tell us na lol. Food?

Lol yea, couldn't be more obvious.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Raalsalghul: 5:22pm On May 01, 2020
cronsberg:
This is the main reason why I hold a grudge against my parents. Back then in the 80s and 90s, they travelled to this Yankee like say it was the easiest thing ever. some of them were even offered juicy jobs there, but for some reason, they believed the lies of the previous regimes and came back home. Now 30yrs later, things have only gotten worse.mtseeeew. the unfortunate thing now is that to get Visa to almost any country is one of the most difficult things ever. nevertheless I will Never give up, my children will not grow up in this country. haba

Are you presently in Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Raalsalghul: 5:24pm On May 01, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
I have vowed myself that if I can't leave this country they call Nigeria I would get a vasectomy. I would never bring an innocent soul into this shithole. Op this country is even good now. In the next 10 to 15 years Nigeria of today would be paradise compared to what is coming. Nigeria of the future would be just one massive sea of poverty and hopelessness. I would advice anyone who can get out now to do so. It would be so bad that even getting to another African country from Nigeria would be almost impossible and mind you the population would be double.

I mean during Obasanjo's tenure, Nigeria was shit but Nigeria then was like heaven compared to today. We had a middle class, we had Nigerians in the diaspora coming back home to set up businesses. GDP was growing 10 percent yearly despite low oil prices but what do we have today? A shrinking middle class that is less than 3 percent of the total population. An economy in recession. It's gonna get worst. Just find ways to leave.

Your first two statements shows that you are smart.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Gerrard59(m): 5:41pm On May 01, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

You mentioned one thing that most do not account for, cost of living. It’s not as if you commute from Oju Elegba to Toronto to work. One has to factor in the high cost of living.

For me in the USA my federal income tax rate was 25% and my state income tax rate was 10%. So for every $100 I make I only take home $65 theoretically. Out of that same $65 I pay for medical insurance, dental insurance and other deductions so at best my take home is around $50 out of that $100

Good luck to all intending travelers but make sure you have the full picture.

I have 3 personal friends that are waiting for all the Covid stuff to pass so they can migrate out of North America,

Honestly, I have done similar calculations here and it's largely the same. You paid taxes for what you are currently paying your personal fees for and at the same time taxes. Which implies you are double taxed living in Nigeria. As I'm, I run generators on daily basis (personal and business use), pay all sort of taxes/levies, cannot sleep with both eyes closed due to the prevailing insecurity worsened by the lockdown, doing God's grace for sickness etc. If there was constant electricity, one wouldn't have worried too much. But no constant electricity coupled with the low purchasing power of the populace implies that there's a limit to doing things on scale as an entrepreneur.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by EgunMogaji2: 6:02pm On May 01, 2020
Gerrard59:

Honestly, I have done similar calculations here and it's largely the same. You paid taxes for what you are currently paying your personal fees for and at the same time taxes. Which implies you are double taxed living in Nigeria. As I'm, I run generators on daily basis (personal and business use)y all sort of taxes/levies, cannot sleep with both eyes closed due to the prevailing insecurity worsened by the lockdown, doing God's grace for sickness etc. If there was constant electricity, one wouldn't have worried too much. But no constant electricity coupled with the low purchasing power of the populace implies that there's a limit to doing things on scale as an entrepreneur.

The USA is the land of double taxation cheesy

The money I have left after paying employment tax is also taxed when I buy petrol, grocery, cellular bills, all other bills.

I’m better off in Nigeria.

PS: I as in EgunMogaji is better of in Nigeria. Your mileage may and should probably vary cool

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Beautyaddy: 7:05pm On May 01, 2020
optimusprime2:
Nigeria is not a bad country, in reality Nigeria has the template of a global power house, however Nigeria's problem is more of the leadership and the followership pattern.

Very Correct Analogy.

Nigeria as a Country is Blessed with abundant natural resources and good weather...but the Main problem with Nigeria are its Citizens.

Nigerians are the main curse of Nigeria. embarassed

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Beautyaddy: 7:15pm On May 01, 2020
themaestro08:

Load of nonsense

Nigeria has failed its citizens take it or leave it.

Lol!...You meant to say that it's Nigerians that have failed themselves as well as the Country. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by optimusprime2(m): 7:37pm On May 01, 2020
Beautyaddy:

Very Correct Analogy.

Nigeria as a Country is Blessed with abundant natural resources and good weather...but the Main problem with Nigeria are its Citizens.

Nigerians are the main curse of Nigeria. embarassed

On point there.

I remember talking to a Dutch guy once and he told me if all Dutch people were emptied into Nigeria, within 5 years, the world would become envious of Nigeria... My response was: if all Nigerians were emptied into Holland, in 2 years time, Holland would get kicked out of the EU.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Mancala: 7:39pm On May 01, 2020
Here's my humble 2 cents. The collectivistic system, even with all its flaws and inequities in the western world that emphasizes the needs and goals of the group as a whole is a more effective, beneficial and efficient system. In fact, this is what was practiced historically in Nigeria before colonial rule.
I will give a couple examples. On my street in Nigeria, everyone has a generator and private security. This is after we could not come to agreement as a landlords association on getting a single 250kva gen along with professional security to service the entire street. If we add up individual costs for all today, it would far exceed the collective solution, not even considering other hidden costs like noise, 3 gates on a small street... stupid inconvenience.
Yes, we pay high taxes in the U.S.! But the returns are great. To me, one of the biggest paybacks is in retirement. We pay into social security and medicare insurance that guarantees retirement income and a floor for medical care in old age. In Nigeria, a large majority in retirement have to rely on their children for survival. I would not even touch on the other benefits of an effective tax system like 'FREE" primary and secondary education, good roads, a link to accountable governance etc.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is A Failed Miserable Country by Futuragetty: 7:43pm On May 01, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

The USA is the land of double taxation cheesy

The money I have left after paying employment tax is also taxed when I buy petrol, grocery, cellular bills, all other bills.

I’m better off in Nigeria.

PS: I as in EgunMogaji is better of in Nigeria. Your mileage may and should probably vary cool
Same as Nigeria.
We pay more tax now. Even borrowing credit from MTN, You are being charged, NEPA bills, making huge transfers, buying gas and petrol too, in fact, The meters in most stations are tampered with.
There are few Jobs in Nigeria, for selected few.
Some of us do not mind, being taxed thrice so long as we have a good life
I really hope you have made some informed investments. tbh I do not see how anyone can be better off in Nigeria.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FAAN Suspends Akure Airport Manager Over Cows Invasion / Going To Greece By March / "Abuja-kaduna Train Records 900,000 Passengers In 2 Years" - NRC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.