Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,961 members, 7,806,780 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? (3421 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / The Ways Of A Bini(edo) / Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 09, 2011
The site might be a lil misinformed or is this really a Yoruba attire/ style?

Looks like a mixture between the edo and yoruba cultural attireundecided

Category: Ethnic Portrait
Title: Yoruba

The beadwork of the Yoruba of western Nigeria reveals a completely different notion of the place of beads within a culture. Among the Yoruba beadwork is reserved for the ruling elite. The use of beads among the Yoruba dates from the mid-17th century when beads were imported as part of the West African slave trade. For the Yoruba beads have helped to shape cultural beliefs, ornament, trade and expressions of status. The beads worn by this Nigerian woman are made of coral, a material acquired through trade.

http://www.africanfineart.co.za/my_FreshofftheEasel.htm

Nevertheless, the portrait is beautiful.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:56pm On Jan 11, 2011
lol, the woman in that portrait has a weird smile

As for the question in the title, Edo are sometimes erroneously referred to as Yoruba by people who aren't all that knowledgeable about Nigeria. I've seen it in about 6 different websites so far.

See these links for example:

http://www.historywiz.com/benin.html

http://exploringafrica.matrix.msu.edu/students/curriculum/m9/activity3.php
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by aljharem11(m): 3:30pm On Jan 11, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

As for the question in the title, Edo are sometimes erroneously referred to as Yoruba by people who aren't all that knowledgeable about Nigeria. I've seen it in about 6 different websites so far.

but was Edo not part of the yoruba empire undecided just asking smiley
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by Akhenaten: 6:25pm On Jan 11, 2011
alj harem1:

but was Edo not part of the yoruba empire undecided just asking smiley

Edo part of the Yoruba Empire? That is quite funny. The Benin Empire has always been a separate entity. And their influence reached as far Lagos, which was a Bini outpost.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jan 11, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

hehehe, her smile is cute.

I believe that the woman COULD be Yoruba, maybe she's wearing our attire of the old days. Remember, back in the days, the Yorubas also decorated their hair with beads.
I just doubt that we did it the way the painting illustrated.

Akhenaten:

Edo part of the Yoruba Empire? That is quite funny. The Benin Empire has always been a separate entity. And their influence reached as far Lagos, which was a Bini outpost.

You're right, the Edo and Oyo ( Yoruba) empire were separate. However, there are some similarities between the two cultures.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by aljharem11(m): 6:45pm On Jan 11, 2011
Akhenaten:

thanks for the information smiley smiley smiley smiley

i mean we learn everyday wink
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by Akhenaten: 6:46pm On Jan 11, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

You're right, the Edo and Oyo ( Yoruba) empire were separate. However, there are some similarities between the two cultures.

There are similarities amongst most Nigerian cultures though. The Igbo clans of Onitsha, Anioma Igbo, Ika, Ukwuani, were heavily influenced by the Edo. Southern Nigeria has it linkages, that people rarely mention.

The Yoruba have been influenced by the Edo and Nupe and vice versa. We need to start recognizing our similarities instead of our differences.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by aljharem11(m): 6:48pm On Jan 11, 2011
Akhenaten:

There are similarities amongst most Nigerian cultures though. The Igbo clans of Onitsha, Anioma Igbo, Ika, Ukwuani, were heavily influenced by the Edo. Southern Nigeria has it linkages, that people rarely mention.

The Yoruba have been influenced by the Edo and Nupe and vice versa. We need to start recognizing our similarities instead of our differences.

i like that wink
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by amazonia(m): 11:27pm On Jan 11, 2011
Akhenaten:

You are right Akhenaten.

I was looking at the evolutions of the word OKO few days ago.
The revelations was very interesting. It has some interesting elements
of our unified field.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by amazonia(m): 11:44pm On Jan 11, 2011
The word Edo OKO
OKO means Type of tree
OKO mean canoe made of the wood
OKO means cultivation
OKO means package, potential

idiroko edo
isiloko edo
Isoko isoko
okonedo edo
okoto edo
okosun esan
okotie itsekhere
okolie urhobo
okobor edo
okocha igbo
okonkwo igbo
okomwem edo
etc etc Please add more words with OKO in it, and it meaning if you know.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by amazonia(m): 11:46pm On Jan 11, 2011
made a mistake there.
IDIROKO is yoruba
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jan 11, 2011
amazonia:

You are right Akhenaten.

I was looking at the evolutions of the word OKO [/b]few days ago.
The revelations was very interesting. It has some interesting elements
of our unified field.

Do I want to know?

Akhenaten:

There are similarities amongst most Nigerian cultures though. [b]The Igbo clans of Onitsha, Anioma Igbo, Ika, Ukwuani, were heavily influenced by the Edo.
Southern Nigeria has it linkages, that people rarely mention.

Can you create a thread about the bolded? Sounds interesting. . . . seems like Edo cultures has/had a lot of influences of many Nigerian cultures. Why is that, apart from obvious pre-colonial conquering.

Recognizing similarities should be our goal, but never forgetting our differences should be praised.

A nation cannot move on if differences are set aside.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by amazonia(m): 1:35am On Jan 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Do I want to know?

Can you create a thread about the bolded? Sounds interesting. . . . seems like Edo cultures has/had a lot of influences of many Nigerian cultures. Why is that, apart from obvious pre-colonial conquering.

Recognizing similarities should be our goal, but never forgetting our differences should be praised.

A nation cannot move on if differences are set aside.

Hi lekedi,
I don't known if you want to know.
It seem interesting to me how some root words span across cultures.
I don't know much yoruba words. Can you supply some with OKO in it.
E.G. LOKOJA, OLOKOYA, KOKO, etc.

I agree with you, it is important will honor our differences, just as
necessary will embrace our sameness.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by amazonia(m): 2:04am On Jan 12, 2011
^^^^ I intended to write WE not Will in the above.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by amazonia(m): 5:21am On Jan 12, 2011
okogun
maroko
sokoto
okogie
okomu
okoma
okoho
okoro
okorodudu
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jan 12, 2011
amazonia:

Hi lekedi,
I don't known if you want to know.
It seem interesting to me how some root words span across cultures.
I don't know much yoruba words. Can you supply some with OKO in it.
E.G. LOKOJA, OLOKOYA, KOKO, etc.

I agree with you, it is important will honor our differences, just as
necessary will embrace our sameness.

hehehe, I thought you meant some other oko wink cheesy
They all have different tones o

Oko - farm
oko - dc ik
oko - husband
oko nla - big farm grin
omokomo - any child, or bad child

I'll think of some other later
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by amazonia(m): 9:41pm On Jan 12, 2011
@Ileke-Idi,

Yes, they do have differences in emphasis in pronunciation.
They still retain similarity.

OKo is an eminent or prominent (straight tree)
OLU-OKO is the king or the most prominent of the eminent trees.

Consequently, when oko is used as a prefix to qualify a suffix, it indicates
the prominence of the suffix. The opposite is the same if a suffix oko qualifies a prefix.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by amazonia(m): 10:02pm On Jan 12, 2011
@ Ileke-Idi
please add some more when you can.

@All
Please contribute some of our cultural words
from any, and all ethnic groups that contian OKO.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by amazonia(m): 10:16pm On Jan 12, 2011
Iroko ------The woods or lumbers of Oko trees.
okogie------prominent leader.
okosun-----prominent Osun leader
okogun-----prominent Ogun leader or priest

etc.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by amazonia(m): 11:13pm On Jan 12, 2011
@Ilekedi,
Owan be,

KOKO-----Gathering.: blood for turgidity(d.i.ck).

KOKO (town)-----Gathering together of people or
things in space in time for purpose.
Itsekhiri Old export and import terminal.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by amazonia(m): 11:15pm On Jan 15, 2011
okosula------ Ijaw

Oko-Ita------Akwa-Ibon

Okoye-------Yoruba

olokoye------ Yoruba amukoko----yoruba

Okoni-------- Edo omokoro-------Urhobo

Okona------ Edo kokode------ Igbo

okon----- Ika/Rivers/Igbo kokoye

okode---- Ora /Igala/Esakon

okoshodin-----Ijaw
okosula---------Ijaw
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by amazonia(m): 11:23pm On Jan 15, 2011
@ilekedi,

It look like i hijacked your thread here.
sorry about that , I am thinking- out here in writing.
when i get all clear i will open a thread for it.Thanks .
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Nov 21, 2011
^^nah, no prob.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by tpia5: 12:29pm On Nov 21, 2011
Okoye is edo.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Nov 21, 2011
Come to think of it, I dont think "olokoye" is Yoruba either.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by tpia5: 12:35pm On Nov 21, 2011
I beleive the reason why there's so much ambiguity or grey areas concerning the yoruba-benin relationship is due to the portuguese influence. They ( the portuguese) had much more inlfuence and a foothold in benin compared to yorubaland which doesnt seem to have allowed them as much access as benin did.

And some parts of the midwest or southeast as well. It seems there's a town called akassa in one of these areas that was actually founded by the portugues and which contains a portuguese gravestone, if the source i read was correct.

Add the influence of other tribes like nupe, itsekiri, igalla, tiv, hausa, etc on bini and you begin to see the point at which it diverges from yoruba.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by odumchi: 1:21pm On Nov 21, 2011
Theres no such thing as Kokode in Igbo. However Okoye is Igbo and Okon is Efik.

amazonia:

okosula------ Ijaw

Oko-Ita------Akwa-Ibon

Okoye-------Yoruba

okoshodin-----Ijaw
okosula---------Ijaw

Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by Chyz2: 3:51pm On Nov 21, 2011
amazonia:

okosula------ Ijaw

Oko-Ita------Akwa-Ibon

Okoye-------Yoruba

okoshodin-----Ijaw

okosula---------Ijaw

Okoye is Igbo
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by Chyz2: 3:55pm On Nov 21, 2011
tpia@:

I beleive the reason why there's so much ambiguity or grey areas concerning the yoruba-benin relationship is due to the portuguese influence. They ( the portuguese) had much more inlfuence and a foothold in benin compared to yorubaland which doesnt seem to have allowed them as much access as benin did.

And some parts of the midwest or southeast as well. It seems there's a town called akassa in one of these areas that was actually founded by the portugues and which contains a portuguese gravestone, if the source i read was correct.

Don't include SE. Speak of only SW. SE has no portuguese influence unlike certain regions with portuguese names like LAGOS.

Add the influence of other tribes like nupe, itsekiri, igalla, tiv, hausa, etc on bini and you begin to see the point at which it diverges from yoruba.

Yorubas were influenced by the nupe, which conquered them at a point in time. Hausa influenced yorubas as well, heck, they even gave you all your name. What have Tiv got to do with Bini? I thought bini were the ones to influence the igala that were in its backyard.
Why are you steady trying to put claims on bini? Abeg stop with your constant sneeky tribalism.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by tpia5: 10:46pm On Nov 21, 2011
It seems there's a town called akassa in one of these areas that was actually founded by the portugues and which contains a portuguese gravestone, if the source i read was correct.

the source might have been referring to an akassa in the south south i suppose.

the ijaws might have traded slaves with the portuguese before the arrival of the british maybe?

is anyone on nl from that area and is there really a centuries old portuguese gravestone there.
Re: Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? by itstpia8: 4:40am On Nov 19, 2015
this thread was opened by ileke idi I think.

(1) (Reply)

A Short Oduduwa Story! / Painfully True! / Kabbalah Sex Magick & Blood Sacrifice Used To Control Western Religions Exposed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.