Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,742 members, 7,802,263 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:43 AM

John Chapter 1:1 And The Trinitarian Dogma - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / John Chapter 1:1 And The Trinitarian Dogma (328 Views)

The TRINITY And The TRINITARIAN. / Logical Fallacies Employed In Trinitarian Theology 3 / Logical Fallacies Employed In Trinitarian Theology 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

John Chapter 1:1 And The Trinitarian Dogma by mcthewills: 9:06am On Apr 30, 2020
One particular bible verse always presented in defense of trinity is John 1:1. Does this bible verse lead credence to the believe in trinity?

First of all, I have carefully considered the words of the scripture because I very well believe that the identity of christ is a very valuable christian truth. To be a christian means to be christ like. It gets difficult to claim christianity when the identity of christ we proclaim is obscured to us.

This articular desires to answer the question, Does John 1:1 prove that Jesus Christ is God almighty?

Before I proceed, I want to clearly point out that everyone has the right to his believe and everyone should also weigh his believe in the light of objective thinking. Please lets whoever who desire to comment refrain from name calling. There is also no need to be aggressive over others who share a different believe from ourselves. Also atheist amongst us, please respect our right to believe in God. You dont need to comment if this doesn't interest you.

The issue of trinity have been of heated debate for centuries. Here are some bible verses put forward by those who holds this beleive
1. John 1:1 : In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (New International version)
2. Philipian 2:5,6 : You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
3. Isaiah 9:6 : For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Here are some verses by those who oppose trinity

1. 1 cor 11:3 : But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.
2. John 14:28 : "You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.
3. Rev 1:1 The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him [/b]to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John

[b]John 1:1

In order to understand John 1:1 we must first see how the word God is used in the Bible. God is not a person. God is a title. That is why there are many gods. The word god means mighty one.

1 Corinthians 8: 5 For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” 6 there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him“.

While one can see the separation of the person Jesus from God the father here in this scripture, I used the scripture to point out that the word God was a title.

Man can be called gods. The True God called men gods.

Psalm 82: 5 “They do not know, nor do they understand;They are walking about in darkness;All the foundations of the earth are being shaken. 6 “I have said, ‘You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High. 7 But you will die just as men do; And like any other prince you will fall!”.

Now that we know that the word God is a TITLE, we may have greater understanding of John 1: 1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him; and without him was not anything made that hath been made. King James Version rendered today.

Translations by James Moffatt, Edgar J. Goodspeed and Hugh J. Schonfield render part of the verse as "...the Word [Logos] was divine". Murray J. Harris writes,

[It] is clear that in the translation "the Word was God", the term God is being used to denote his nature or essence, and not his person. But in normal English usage "God" is a proper noun, referring to the person of the Father or corporately to the three persons of the Godhead. Moreover, "the Word was God" suggests that "the Word" and "God" are convertible terms, that the proposition is reciprocating. But the Word is neither the Father nor the Trinity … The rendering cannot stand without explanation."[15]

Look at how this scripture was rendered in some other bible translations
1808: "and the Word was a god" – Thomas Belsham The New Testament, in an Improved Version, Upon the Basis of Archbishop Newcome’s New Translation: With a Corrected Text, London.
1822: "and the Word was a god" – The New Testament in Greek and English (A. Kneeland, 1822.)
1829: "and the Word was a god" – The Monotessaron; or, The Gospel History According to the Four Evangelists (J. S. Thompson, 1829)
1911: "and [a] God was the word" – The Coptic Version of the New Testament in the Southern Dialect, by George William Horner.[17]
1924: "the Logos was divine" – The Bible: James Moffatt Translation, by James Moffatt.[18]
1935: "and the Word was divine" – The Bible: An American Translation, by John M. P. Smith and Edgar J. Goodspeed, Chicago.[19]
1955: "so the Word was divine" – The Authentic New Testament, by Hugh J. Schonfield, Aberdeen.[20].

Knowing that men are called gods or mighty ones, it is no small measure to call Jesus a god, but he is not the one True God. Jesus admits this himself and this is the message that John promoted by writing this verse.

John 20: 17 Jesus said to her: “Stop clinging to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.’”. And also is
1 cor 11:3 : But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

To say that Christ is equal to Almighty God will be to go against several verses in the scripture such as those above and many others

1 Like 1 Share

Re: John Chapter 1:1 And The Trinitarian Dogma by Aeman(m): 1:05pm On Apr 30, 2020
My lord and my God
Re: John Chapter 1:1 And The Trinitarian Dogma by Janosky: 12:10am On Aug 05, 2020
Aeman:
My lord and my God

Jesus Christ himself quashed that FRAUD yakata. @ Revelations 3:5,12 and John 20:17.

If you believe your employees have authority over you, their employer who employs them , na your own problem be that. grin
Re: John Chapter 1:1 And The Trinitarian Dogma by DrLiveLogic(m): 5:22am On Aug 05, 2020
JWs, you've been made to believe so many lies. I will make sure I have you guys' time shortly so that I'll deal with all heresy. For now, chew this and respond to these claims.
Understand that Toby McGuire may act as Peter Parker and Spiderman in a movie but if for that, when watching the movie, you now say he's no more Toby McGuire, it means you're uninformed and in denial. The Word came to act the role of son of Man and son of God to make men sons of God but He will always be the only true Word and God. So no matter how many scriptures you quote of he's role as son of Man and son of God, separating Him from His Godhead, you can never take away His Godhead and the worship of Him. Now read and understand the following six posts and tell if the bible is lying

#1 NUMBER OF GOD
It is obvious that in order, God is the only Being who can be "First and Last/Beginning and Ending/Alpha and Omega" at the same time because he existed before every created thing and is the only One who will remain when he decides to end all existence.
The Simultaneous "First and Last" is a number only the Uncreated can have.

Isa 44:6 Thus saith YAHWEH, the King of Israel, and his Redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

We see here that YAHWEH, the God of Israel is "First and Last" and is the only true God. Follow me now.

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, Who is, and Who was, and Who is to come, the Almighty

He further calls himself here, the Almighty/Omnipotent (El-Shaddai), an OT title of YAHWEH. Angels are mighty, even Michael is very mighty but only YHWH is Almighty/Omnipotent. From the OT text and in this part of Apocalypse, It is clear that YHWH Almighty's number is "First and Last"

Now, observe:
In the beginning of the apocalypse, John meets with Jesus Christ, who introduces himself as
Rev 1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last...
Rev 1:17-18 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

We see that this is Jesus Christ who was dead and resurrected. By his number here, "First and Last/Alpha and Omega/Beginning and Ending", we see that YAHWEH Almighty of OT and Jesus Christ of NT are one Being.

Little wonder that even when the Word became flesh, he testified he was on earth as Son and in heaven in the Father at once, a bilocation impossible with any being but God himself.
Joh 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Q.E.D. Let's move to another prerogative of God.

N.B: The gospel is simple. God became a man. And acted as both God and man at the same time. To teach men how to worship God right and to make it possible for and show men how to become sons of God. So quoting scriptures that reveal God's humanity which happened only about 2000 years ago takes nothing away from the Word's original existence as one Being with the Father.
Re: John Chapter 1:1 And The Trinitarian Dogma by DrLiveLogic(m): 5:23am On Aug 05, 2020
#2 JUDGMENT OF GOD

We know that YAHWEH, the God of OT revealed Himself to Israel as the one who will judge both living and dead.
Now notice in the verse below, it is God who gave the commandments to Moses, YHWH, who is to be feared, who will also judge every work.
Ecc 12:13-14 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil

Also here,
Psa 96:13 Before YAHWEH who comes, for he comes to judge the earth: he will judge the world in justice, and the people with his truth.

Also observe another verse in the same letter that shows the same YAHWEH is the one who will judge righteous and sinners alike.
Ecc 3:17 I said in mine heart, God shall judge the righteous and the wicked: for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work.

But who are we told will judge all men?
2Ti 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick(righteous) and the dead(wicked) at his appearing and his kingdom;

Clearly answered. Paul says Jesus will judge the living and the dead. Comparing with OT texts, clearly Jesus and YAHWEH as one Being will judge all men. Now, reading again, its clear to see that Paul called God(YAHWEH) and Jesus as the same Being.

N.B: The gospel is simple. God became a man. And acted as both God and man at the same time. To teach men how to worship God right and to make it possible for and show men how to become sons of God. So quoting scriptures that reveal God's humanity which happened only about 2000 years ago takes nothing away from the Word's original existence as one Being with the Father.

Re: John Chapter 1:1 And The Trinitarian Dogma by DrLiveLogic(m): 5:24am On Aug 05, 2020
#3 THE THRONE OF GOD
It is evident that God owns the sovereign throne in the whole universe and every other is subservient to His. We also know that Jesus is enthroned at the right hand of the Father. This statement has made the carnal mind think that the Father sits on one throne and the Son sits located beside Him at the right.
But does the bible teach that Jesus is literally seated at the right hand of the Father or does the bible teach it is figurative as both Father and Son as One Being have one throne?
Let's find out:

In the apocalypse, John is given the clearest revelation of the heavenly administration in all the scripture. In Revelation 4, he describes the throne of God surrounded by elders' thrones. Notice he doesn't describe any throne located at the literal right of God's throne because there is no such throne.

So just where in heaven is the throne of the Son, the Lamb of God?
Rev 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
Rev 22:3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:

The answer is clear here that it is only one throne, not two different thrones, belonging to God and also to the Lamb. Both are one Being and have just one throne in heaven and his servants serve him.
Now watch again!

Rev 20:11-13 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Furthermore, notice that it is this same Being, God who sits on the throne that will judge both the living and the dead. Some say this is the Father because the heaven and earth fled from his face. True, but it is Father and Son in one Being more precisely.
Remember we have shown in #2 that it is both YAHWEH of OT and Jesus Christ in one Being who will judge the dead and living.(2Ti 4:1, Ecc 3:17)
Again watch!

Rev 11:16-18 And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God, Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned. And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou should give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and should destroy them which destroy the earth.

Finally, we see even more clearly here that its the same god who sits on the single sovereign throne who all the elders worship. Surely this is the Father, YAHWEH whose throne was described in the midst of the elders in Revelation 4.
But its also he who will judge the dead(unrighteous) and the living,(the prophets whom he will reward with his saints). Of course we know who it is that judges the dead and living by now. Surely it is the Lord Jesus(2Ti 4:1). Again, we see here Father and Word, as one Being, bearing the title "Who is and was and is to come"(as shown in the #1) in one Being sits on the single sovereign throne and will reign.

Clearly, the right hand of the Father is not literal since there is no throne at his geographical right in John's heavenly vista or any portion of the bible but it is figurative of his Omnipotence. I can treat this separately from the bible after we have all agreed that YAHWEH is Jesus.

Q.E.D. Let's move to another prerogative of God

Re: John Chapter 1:1 And The Trinitarian Dogma by DrLiveLogic(m): 5:25am On Aug 05, 2020
#4 WORSHIP OF GOD
To Hebrews, worship and service of any heavenly being are one and the same thing. Also, some christian sects today claim that there are many gods apart from YAHWEH. Even if we claim God's angels or men are also called gods, at least we can agree that YAHWEH commanded that He is the only god among all the "gods" to be worshipped and served.

Exo 20:2-5 KJV I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

The Lord Jesus himself said to Satan:
Mat 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve

Clearly worship/service of god belongs only to YAHWEH.

Heb 1:6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him

But above, we see that YAHWEH who commanded that He alone be worshipped and no created god also commanded that all the angels worship Jesus Christ because the Father and Word are one Being. Obviously, God is not contradicting Himself.
Now watch again!

Isa 45:21-23 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I YAHWEH? and there is no God else beside Me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

YAHWEH who also calls himself Saviour, the same title with Jesus, declared that unto him alone all must bow the knee and confess to for no there is other god besides Him. The Romans adopted this very concept and made people worship their emperor's by bowing the knee and confessing to the Emperor/King. This worship which includes the knee bowing and tongue confessing is only for YAHWEH, the emperor of the Universe.
But to whom will all knees bow and all tongues confess?

Phi 2:10-11 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

It can be no clearer that YAHWEH and the the Word are one Being as god as by comparing the two above texts. And to bow and confess to Jesus as Lord/Supreme is to glorify/worship the Father at the same time because they are One Being as god.
We see also in the following text that the Father and Word bearing the title "Who is , was and is to come" (shown in #1), who as one Being will judge both the living and the dead, (shown in #2), that are on one sovereign throne (shown in #3). It is this Father and Word who are worshipped by the elders in heaven as One Being and both called the Almighty.

Rev 11:16-18 And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God, Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned. And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou should give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and should destroy them which destroy the earth.

We also know Israel worshipped and served YAHWEH. A good question is who did the apostles worship and serve? Should they serve an angel or any created being. If so, they are idol worshippers.

Jas 1:1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.
James boldly declares that he is a servant of God and Jesus Christ because they are One Being and he is not an idol worshipper therefore.

See also who Paul served
Phi 1:1 Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:
Paul served Jesus Christ (Also Romans 1:1, Tit 1:1)

Once again it is clear that YAHWEH who alone is to be worshipped and served is One Being with the Word who is also worshipped and served at the same time.

Re: John Chapter 1:1 And The Trinitarian Dogma by DrLiveLogic(m): 5:27am On Aug 05, 2020
#5 Creator of Heavens and Earth vs created angels (is Jesus an angel?)

Chapters 1&2 of Hebrews were written particularly to point out that the Word is not and never was an angel but the creator who took flesh of mankind and became the only begotten son. It is a shame that after Paul's painstaking effort, some mischievous fellows still dubiously claim that the Word is angel Michael. I have already begun treating this but will continue where I left off. Paul quites the OT prophecy below

Psa 102:22-27 ...when the people are gathered and united, and the kingdoms, to serve YAHWEH who subdued His power in His way and cut short His days. They will say, "O God, who were taken up in the middle of your days, yet your years are from generation to generation for in the beginning, you laid the foundation of the earth and the heavens are the product of your hands. They'll perish, but you'll remain. Yes! They'll all wear out like a cloth and as a vesture you'll change them, and they'll be changed while you are the same, and your years will have no end"

Here, the psalmist describes how the nations gathered to worship God, YAHWEH saying that though his earthly days were cut short, in reality, he lives on because he cannot possibly die who is creator of the heavens and the earth and the psalmist also shows that rather than creation putting an end to Him through the cross, he is the one that will rather put an end to his creation and change it like we change clothes i.e. you can expect Him at anytime he chooses to put an end to all he has created including angels and create afresh like how we take off old clothes and put on new clothes.

Paul cites this prophecy by the psalmist, to prove the son is the uncreated creator while the angels were only created, as he shows that to the son, it was said that he is the creator but of the angels it was said that they are created beings
Heb 1:7-12 ...and in fact concerning the angels was said, "who makes his angels spirits and his attendants a flame of fire" but to the Son was said...also, you, Lord, in the beginning laid the foundation of earth and the heavens are a product of your hands: They'll perish but you'll remain and they'll all wear out like a cloth and as a vesture you'll fold them up, and they'll be changed but you are the same, and your years will not fail"

So Paul proves that the Word who became flesh and then the son of God, who was also crucified is obviously the YAHWEH worshipped by the nation's gathered in the psalm and fulfilling the prophecy
According to Paul and the prophets, the Word is one Being with YAHWEH
Re: John Chapter 1:1 And The Trinitarian Dogma by DrLiveLogic(m): 5:30am On Aug 05, 2020
Meanwhile, let's do a quick one on whether Jesus is angel Michael.

Joh 1:1-3 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made

So we know from above the history of Jesus from before creation, we see that He was with God and created all things in one Being with God (I'm coming to this creation part when I clear my table, lols.)
Do we find in any part of his history that he was made an angel. No.
He had never manifested anywhere at all but remained hidden in God's bosom. When you go down this history and get to verse 14, we find what happened next.

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Does anyone see anything about the Word being an angel in his history here before he became flesh because I don't. All I see is He was with and in God and from the bosom of the Father, he came out as flesh through a virgin. He never manifested before then and surely he never manifested as an angel.
But we know Michael has always commanded the warring faction of angels and had always been visibly active.
And what does Paul say about if he manifested as an angel?
Also, learn to look at the context of verses to get the meaning the author intended.
Now read this slowly again and stop robbing your poor soul.
Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil
Heb 2:16 Because doubtless he did not take on the angels'(meaning angel's flesh from the context); but he took on the seed of Abraham(Human flesh)

The point clearly being made is that he never took the flesh of angel's but of men. Sheesh!
Yep. Paul didn't mince words about it, he never took the form of an angel but only the seed of Abraham. Just as John said, from being with God in the bosom of the Father straight to taking on flesh or becoming flesh. Why that? Because God wanted to put the world in subjection to man and not angels. That's why he never manifested as an angel but only as a man.

Heb 2:5-7 For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come, whereof we speak. But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him? Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:

Some of us need to carefully read the bible. The whole of Hebrews 1&2 was written to show that Jesus is not an angel but greater, the only-begotten from the Father's bosom for that matter. Only means only, duh!

How then can Jesus be angel Michael who has and will always be an angel and who was never called by that name when we know the Word only took on flesh of men and never angels.

I also see many aren't tired of the shallowness of quoting verses of after Jesus became a Son and using those to separate him from Father. There was no such distinction when He was the Word before he became flesh as the Son.
Re: John Chapter 1:1 And The Trinitarian Dogma by Dtruthspeaker: 6:58am On Aug 05, 2020
Most people do not really understand that The Lord God is Truly "the Word or Words that The All-Mighty Spoke!

When The Mighty Spoke, "Let there be Light" Christ Came Forth out!

The Holy Spirit is the Countenance of the The Mighty!

Therefore, Both The Word which Proceedeth from the Mouth of the Mighty (Spoken Word) and the Countenance of the Mighty, are One, because They Come from One, The Mighty Himself!

Just as You are you already, your word or words is still you (hence, why we say "I took You, by your words") and your countenance is still you.

And naturally, your word is less than you and you are greater than your countenance!

(1) (Reply)

The Time To De-judaize Christianity Is NOW! / Coronavirus: Churches Resume Services In Osun (photos) / A Beautiful Rendition Of This Evergreen Song

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.