Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,518 members, 7,801,386 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment (531 Views)

Breaking: U.S Officially Approve Drug for Coronavirus Treatment / BREAKING!!! Breast Milk Is Now Studied As Possible Cure For Coronavirus Cure / Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by sarrki(m): 7:35pm On Apr 30, 2020
Lactating mothers in the New York City area, as well as around the country, are signing up for a study that may lead to a breakthrough in finding a treatment for the COVID-19 coronavirus.

Dr. Rebecca Powell, assistant professor of medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, is actively gathering breast milk to study the antibodies.

She put out an online call for volunteers in early April and says she’s been inundated with responses—right now there are about 900 women involved and she expects that number will continue to grow.

Breast pump next to baby
null GETTY

“The hypotheses is generally that there would be antibodies in the milk against COVID-19 because there is some proportion of antibodies in milk that comes from blood,” explains Dr. Powell.

“We hope that the antibody levels are high and have protective function. This is important for breastfed babies, obviously, Beyond that, if there are high levels of protective antibodies, those antibodies could be purified and used in treatments in severe cases of COVID-19.”

She cautions that she’s not talking about people buying breast milk off the Internet and drinking it. “I’m don’t recommend anyone to buy bodily fluids online and ingest them. Any bodily fluid can also carry other illnesses. I’m talking about purifying specific antibodies from the milk and using therapeutically.”

Dr. Powell’s research is similar to current studies on the antibodies of blood plasma, but the collection of breast milk is non-invasive and looks at a particular population—lactating women.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marlamilling/2020/04/24/breast-milk-studied-as-potential-coronavirus-treatment/#68be05377db8
Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by sarrki(m): 7:36pm On Apr 30, 2020
Lalasticlala have you heard about this ?

Seriously I can’t take it

embarassed
Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by SeverusSnape(m): 7:38pm On Apr 30, 2020
They should not worry, We Nigerians are ready to carry out this test.

Is it not breast?... We will suck and tell them the result.

All the patriotic huge breasted girls are advised to visit all the various isolation centres and breastfeed all the patients.

Such a good time to be a Corona patient. Hehehehehehe...
Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by u11ae1013: 7:38pm On Apr 30, 2020
Yeah,

mix with semen +menses +lemon +garlic and ginger
Shake it together, add honey for taste, cover it inside bottle for 5 days

Thank me later
OH, I forgot cow urine
Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by GodPunishCorona: 7:38pm On Apr 30, 2020
Ok
Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by Bossontop(m): 7:43pm On Apr 30, 2020
undecided
I wash my hands off this weirdness

Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by Jakumo(m): 7:48pm On Apr 30, 2020
Well, we all know where to find the milk, so get busy.

Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by zionmde: 7:48pm On Apr 30, 2020
grin grin grin grin

Great news

I heard the fallen heroes have stronger antibodies
Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by HeadShot: 7:53pm On Apr 30, 2020
Time to look for Bobbi
Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by delugajackson: 7:59pm On Apr 30, 2020
Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by Nobody: 7:59pm On Apr 30, 2020
But na the same breastmilk our elders talk say if we drink we go poor die. Me no like poverty o. Make I kuku prevent the virus ni o. For if them put poverty and corona make I choose one I dive hug corona o.
Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by DontCough: 8:07pm On Apr 30, 2020
Meaning am free from Corona virus? I take the BB milk everyday.

Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by DanseMacabre(m): 8:09pm On Apr 30, 2020
Really

I know most people won't see disclaimer that says it's inadvisable to ingest bodily fluids...
Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by FryMosquito: 8:30pm On Apr 30, 2020
Bwest kwa...
Now it will be one the costliest liquid..
Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by alizma: 8:39pm On Apr 30, 2020
Women should be classified as endangered species immediately else......
Re: Breast Milk Studied As Potential Coronavirus Treatment by canDy4eva(f): 9:51pm On Apr 30, 2020
A little sense in this. One reason baby friendly is a powerful gift you can give your child.

(1) (Reply)

Covid 19- WHO Confirmed PST Adeboye Prediction On Coronavirus / 587 New Cases Of #covid19nigeria 17 June 2020 / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.