Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,544 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers (79251 Views)

Fuel Subsidy Removal: Lapo MFB Increases Staff Salaries / 'FG Plans To Retrench Workers' - Labour Raises Alarm / Coronavirus: TVC Slashes Staff Salaries - Politics Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Midex88(m): 9:04am On May 01, 2020
Rogues set of management. They want to add misery to the life of the contract staff. May God severely punish the idiot who initiated the idea of contract staff to this country.

2 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Venerable612(m): 9:05am On May 01, 2020
chamber2:

Both the topic and the content is misleading. How can a bank sack 75% of it's workforce? How is that possible? People listened to a video without understanding simple statement.

Herbert said, those auxiliary staff constitute 75% of the entire workforce and their contract will be reviewed with their employers to know the number that is actually needed by Access Bank.

Mind you, the bank might end up disengaging only about 30-40% of the contract staff.

For professional staff, he mentioned that the pay cut will be based on level. If the GMD gets 40% deduction then the lowest officer might get like 5% deduction.

Better way to put it.

I agree!

3 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Idiotmod: 9:06am On May 01, 2020
vikkimimi:
No job security anymore
The banking industry will be worse
Freaky freaky. It’s not about job security in pandemic time, if they sack anyone no law can query them
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by asobo: 9:06am On May 01, 2020
The same Access bank that gave FG 1 billion.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by easzypeaszy(m): 9:07am On May 01, 2020
Who bleeping cares... Am even tired of der contract job...akuku fori se, afi orun se and yet no conversion to full staff..
Una father

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Mikesmd(m): 9:08am On May 01, 2020
9jaRealist:
THE HEADLINE IS A TAD MISLEADING....

Access Bank outsources most of its NON-BANK functions (such as security, cleaners, etc.). Those people are not employed directly by the bank itself, but rather by third-party subcontractors. It is these services that Access Bank intends to rationalize, which would end up presumably disengaging about 75% of such contracted persons. Doubtful that more than a small percentage of actual Access Bank core staff will be disengaged (albeit there are probably several areas of duplication post-merger with Diamond Bank that might be trimmed during this crisis).

Either way, some people are due for pain and an uncertain near-future...
Perhaps all those generous Access Bank Covid donations should have been reserved for these folks. Good luck to all.
>
This really read nd said my very mind jst like a true psychic might av,bro.That CA-Covid fund wud av gone a long way in playin a cuishioni effect now,in of put it out 2 non accountable 9ja govt

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by teepain: 9:08am On May 01, 2020
Asour:

The N1bn is "just a Month's Budget" right ?

Well a Month is a big deal in business. Even for big ones.
How many months have we had the lockdown ?

In fact, in less than 2 weeks into the lockdown, Large Companies were already Complaining of hugely affected by it. So explaining away 1bn as "just a Month expense" doesn't cut it.

Your take on the donations as a PR move is brilliant though. I too have been searching for a reason to explain it. This seems apt.

The donation is not PR.
As a matter of fact, donations made towards covid-19 by corporate bodies and individuals are tax deductible, meaning that when it comes to paying their corporate taxes these donors can (and trust me, they will) deduct the donations made from the tax payable. Hence, most of these donations are actually prepaid taxes in the real sense of it and not "donations".

Simply put, if I advance you #200 and later it is proven that I'm owing you #1000, I will only give you #800. Therefore my #200 is not a gift but a prepayment.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by 9jaRealist: 9:09am On May 01, 2020
Venerable612:
The above is misleading and uncalled for.

75% of workers will be relieved, per Wigwes video. Does it really matter if they are actual or contract staff?

75% is more than some. That’s a majority.
Plus I have a friend that works in their foreign exchange dept who is a contract staff. They are not all cleaners and security men.

Exactly what I mean is that the topic is not misleading and this potential sack calls for worry for lots of families.

Of course, the HEADLINE is misleading (and frankly erroneous)...
Not quite sure what you mean by “the topic” but I specified the HEADLINE.

The factual reality is that NONE (as in ZERO) of those third-party staff are Access Bank employees...
If my landlord lays off staff because many of the tenants cannot pay rent, it’s NOT referred to as the tenants laying off staff.

Furthermore, even though Access Bank may no longer want/need these third-party staff...
It does not mean that their employers necessarily have to dismiss them or that someone else may not require their services.

Nonetheless, while you were busy MAJORING in the MINOR...
I actually noted in the final analysis that, regardless, the affected are due for an uncertain future and wished them all GOOD LUCK.
>

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Nobody: 9:09am On May 01, 2020
don4real18:

Are you selling a duplex for 6m or you are selling the land?
grin grin grin
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by nickxtra(m): 9:10am On May 01, 2020
These useless people don start

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Gadafii: 9:13am On May 01, 2020
DonMustafa:
It is better to cut staff salaries than to sack them. Even if the staffs will hunt for other jobs, at least something still comes in monthly to pay bills. Complete sack is terrible.

Those of you begging bankers money, you see it is not easy anywhere in Nigeria. That is why I recommend online dating for people who need financial assistance. White people have good hearts. They have pity. They will help you if they have. You never know until you try. If it is only $500 the person sends, this is N200,000. Imagine what N200,000 will do in your life now.

This is what I did last year December when I was broke. I got a white lady through online dating and begged her. She help me and I opened a betting shop that is feeding me up to today. If I did not do online dating in December, by this lockdown, I would being eating sand. Don't just eat all the money you get. Start something small.

For those people sending PM and asking me which dating site I used, it is Bit Mistress. See the link in the pic below
Bab a beg check ur mail make we relate proper for WhatsApp,he red for your guy, I wan venture into this dating site, abeg
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Investnow2017: 9:13am On May 01, 2020
9jaRealist:
THE HEADLINE IS A TAD MISLEADING....

Access Bank outsources most of its NON-BANK functions (such as security, cleaners, etc.). Those people are not employed directly by the bank itself, but rather by third-party subcontractors. It is these services that Access Bank intends to rationalize, which would end up presumably disengaging about 75% of such contracted persons. Doubtful that more than a small percentage of actual Access Bank core staff will be disengaged (albeit there are probably several areas of duplication post-merger with Diamond Bank that might be trimmed during this crisis).

Either way, some people are due for pain and an uncertain near-future...
Perhaps all those generous Access Bank Covid donations should have been reserved for these folks. Good luck to all.
>

Whether outsourced, direct, indirect staff, the reality is that those that will be affected are human beings with families, responsibilities and feelings.

It's pathetic. We are hearing this because it has been made public, most CEOs must have been brainstorming along this same line, which means Nigeria's unemployment status is sure worsening. The story is the same for most countries if the world: developed, under-developed or developing.

The pain is that clueless governments around the world now have an easy excuse in Covid-19 for abysmal performances.

While we mourn the Covid-19 casualties, life may well become even more challenging for survivors because it will take sacrifices to adjust to the new normal.

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Horlamidei(m): 9:16am On May 01, 2020
tasceige:
Access bank is not alone in this, even my company.

If you have your job intact after this pandemic, you don't know what God had done for you.

I tell you! In my company, we don't know what we are going to face come monday because we all know they want to retrench..! My hopes are on GOD

5 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Zinpat: 9:17am On May 01, 2020
Just imagine money dat banks were supposed to use n pay their workers, they gave to FG who claims to be giving palliatives to poor masses. Now poor masses didn't see any palliatives n at d same time poor masses are loosing their jobs. Creating more unemployment n hardship. What a wicked, selfish, mean political leaders we have. O God! Come to our aid!

3 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Reference(m): 9:17am On May 01, 2020
Midex88:
Rogues set of management. They want to add misery to the life of the contract staff. May God severely punish the idiot who initiated the idea of contract staff to this country.

You simply cannot question economic decisions of private enterprises in a capitalist system.

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Investnow2017: 9:17am On May 01, 2020
Kingrefreshed:

75% is too much naaa. Na to start to the bomb be dey koko now !

Nigeria is a mess !

Only few things are as frustrating as when as a graduate you settle for a less than a honorable job in these establishments and you are even asked to go because your services are no longer needed.
In the first place you were just managing, and now voom, you are asked to go. And to think that with such contract of employment, it's often a clean wage, no payoff!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by thundafire: 9:19am On May 01, 2020
Working in a bank is always a disaster,with all their money on profit after tax,running in billions yet dey can't have permanent staff,so it means banks have less than 10% of permanent staff
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by cococandy(f): 9:19am On May 01, 2020
75%? That sounds like days of pain ahead

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by drealzum(m): 9:19am On May 01, 2020
Reference:

You simply cannot question economic decisions of private enterprises in a capitalist system.
The silly thing is Access bank was donating billions to COVID-19. Why engage in that when you have paucity of funds?

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Nobody: 9:23am On May 01, 2020
Wow, always the poor and low paid staff that suffer for the sins of the rich.

Thank God a day of reckoning is coming when the tables will be turned.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by layzie: 9:24am On May 01, 2020
Hmm, someone leaked an internal video to the press. shocked shocked. That's very bad.

Anyway, let me see their quarter 1 result before I comment on the topic. If they have made double digits in billions PAT as the other Banks that have published, then this will be hypocrisy. Doing philanthropy outside while throwing your workers out in the streets.

4 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by contigiency(m): 9:25am On May 01, 2020
Please, it will be better for the government to return the one billion naira Access bank donated for corona virus, so they can retain their workers.

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by tobijas001(m): 9:26am On May 01, 2020
This is a silly act, why donate 1billion naira when u know u will end up doing this trash, useless bank, Infact i'm closing sown my acct in dis stupid bank

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by noziz(m): 9:26am On May 01, 2020
DonMustafa:
It is better to cut staff salaries than to sack them. Even if the staffs will hunt for other jobs, at least something still comes in monthly to pay bills. Complete sack is terrible.

Those of you begging bankers money, you see it is not easy anywhere in Nigeria. That is why I recommend online dating for people who need financial assistance. White people have good hearts. They have pity. They will help you if they have. You never know until you try. If it is only $500 the person sends, this is N200,000. Imagine what N200,000 will do in your life now.

This is what I did last year December when I was broke. I got a white lady through online dating and begged her. She help me and I opened a betting shop that is feeding me up to today. If I did not do online dating in December, by this lockdown, I would being eating sand. Don't just eat all the money you get. Start something small.

For those people sending PM and asking me which dating site I used, it is Bit Mistress. See the link in the pic below

Pls how do I go about betting shop biz. Pls guide me on the cost- benefit analysis. Is it something worth venturing into?

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by jeeqaa7(m): 9:27am On May 01, 2020
Return my money thieves
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Reference(m): 9:28am On May 01, 2020
Horlamidei:

I tell you! In my company, we don't know what we are going to face because we all know they want to retrench..! My hopes are on GOD

If you are out there as a worker in any company whether unionised or not what I suggest is to be proactive and meet to make offers to your management before they act.

That was a suggestion I gave a lady in employment last week who feared disengagement. Rather than sit back in fear, get on the offensive in a cerebral manner and offer discounts in a graduated manner and with set parameters.

There are few establishments which will not be willing to listen to their staff at this point in time. The realities of this pandemic are that it will affect everyone economically. No worker out there should pretend it will not because those of us privileged to run businesses see the figures and know what will happen.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by noziz(m): 9:30am On May 01, 2020
DonMustafa:

For the bit mistress dating site, is it completely free? Won't u be asked to pay for membership like premium member to be able to chat with the ladies?
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by olumide3367(m): 9:31am On May 01, 2020
Jesus.. Many more will follow.
Why not learn a skill?

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by CodeTemplar: 9:33am On May 01, 2020
Half bread is better than none.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by OdefaGirl(f): 9:35am On May 01, 2020
What difference would it make when you probably donated money for palliatives during this period and turn around to sack your workers, especially the most vulnerable ones.......they are also part of those hit by the pandemic.....they don't deserve that at least not now....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Debby Johnson: Nigerian Lady In The US Army (Pics) / Female Soldier 'Who Is Too Pretty' For The Work She Does Speaks (Video) / Lady Loses A Job Because She Celebrated On Facebook (Lesson To All)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.