Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,750 members, 7,806,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos (91692 Views)

Photos Of The Collapsed Ebute Metta Building Before Collapse / How I Survived After Spending 3 Hours Under Lagos Collapsed Building - Survivor / Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Abagworro: 6:29am On May 02, 2020
Abagworo:

Chino Awka is not a shithole like Owerri

Who is chino biko. You are definitely right about what you have written up there. Owerri is such a disgusting sewage shithole that even Aba is now looking better than. See our Owerri to confirm

1 Like

Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Abagworro: 6:33am On May 02, 2020
Abagworo, look at our disgusting dilapidated Owerri . Onitsha and Awka are like London compare to the shithole Owerri and rest of Imo state, no wonder 2/3 of Imolites are resident in Onitsha where they see as their obodo oyibo and greener pasture lol

1 Like

Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Abagworro: 6:38am On May 02, 2020
Abagworo, the condition of Owerri is in shambles with only filth and bad roads

1 Like

Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Abagworro: 6:43am On May 02, 2020
Abagworo, the first picture was what Okoroawusa saw and copied in Awka but the 2nd and 3rd pictures were what he built in Owerri. Okoroawusa even painted the damn Owerri flyover. Lol

Owerri is a disgusting sewage shithole

1 Like

Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Nobody: 8:17am On May 02, 2020
AtikuNetwork:
The contractor probably cut corners while doing the foundation of the building. The foundation just couldn't bear to carry the weights of the floor decks and pillars much longer hence the collapse.
Everything is about about foundation. Tilting tower of Italy has been that way for centuries!
For a lay man everything is foundation. First of all, most so called Engineers don't use standard mix for construction. Even you will not agree if someone tell you he will use 3.5headpan of sand with 6headpan of stone to mix one bag of cement. That is the ideal mix considering the cement people use for working in Nigeria. Most cement used is Unicem which is a actually a cement meant just for block molding. Another popular cement is Dangote which is even more useless than the Unicem when compared with what was written on it as its true strength. Then the issue of steal comes to play. As a matter of fact, if I was the Engineer holding that contract, the steel would come from no other place but Europe. The steel sold in Nigeria has not upto the standard size and strength. Strength for High yield steel is 460N/mm Sq, while most steel in Nigeria is less than 400. Some are as low as 350. If I start writing about the possible causes na thesis e go be Sha. For me, it's not foundation. If all conditions are met and only fault is foundation, the most likely failure would be either sinking, tilting or cracks. But absolute collapse means standard was not met

1 Like

Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by supajizy(m): 12:50pm On May 02, 2020
jcmaiah:

Everything is about about foundation. Tilting tower of Italy has been that way for centuries!
For a lay man everything is foundation. First of all, most so called Engineers don't use standard mix for construction. Even you will not agree if someone tell you he will use 3.5headpan of sand with 6headpan of stone to mix one bag of cement. That is the ideal mix considering the cement people use for working in Nigeria. Most cement used is Unicem which is a actually a cement meant just for block molding. Another popular cement is Dangote which is even more useless than the Unicem when compared with what was written on it as its true strength. Then the issue of steal comes to play. As a matter of fact, if I was the Engineer holding that contract, the steel would come from no other place but Europe. The steel sold in Nigeria has not upto the standard size and strength. Strength for High yield steel is 460N/mm Sq, while most steel in Nigeria is less than 400. Some are as low as 350. If I start writing about the possible causes na thesis e go be Sha. For me, it's not foundation. If all conditions are met and only fault is foundation, the most likely failure would be either sinking, tilting or cracks. But absolute collapse means standard was not met

I agree with you. But you see the thing with construction is that concrete production varies with the member you are casting. Your mix ration you stated here is what it should be based on our standard of structural design here in Nigeria which specifies M25 CONCRETE. Most engineers compromise and use 1:2:4 which is M/C 15 instead (this is less than the required fcu by almost 10n/mm2. You can get away with it for smaller buildings and others structural elements except columns. Many professionals don't know this. Most of us even escape due to structural engineers over design.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by asamaigho(m): 12:57pm On May 02, 2020
AtikuNetwork:
The contractor probably cut corners while doing the foundation of the building. The foundation just couldn't bear to carry the weights of the floor decks and pillars much longer hence the collapse.

u cant really conclude on dat,...several settlement checks has to be made before such conclusion.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 2:19pm On May 02, 2020
Stop using blocks and cement to build. The quality of these items re not as credible as they use to be... Use shipping containers for better structure.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 02, 2020
supajizy:

I agree with you. But you see the thing with construction is that concrete production varies with the member you are casting. Your mix ration you stated here is what it should be based on our standard of structural design here in Nigeria which specifies M25 CONCRETE. Most engineers compromise and use 1:2:4 which is M/C 15 instead (this is less than the required fcu by almost 10n/mm2. You can get away with it for smaller buildings and others structural elements except columns. Many professionals don't know this. Most of us even escape due to structural engineers over design.
Exactly, the excess reinforcement most times average out the poor concrete mixture. The sad thing is most people parading as Engineers know nothing about structural design. Including some Civil Engineering graduates.

1 Like

Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 02, 2020
INDUSTRIALFAN:
Stop using blocks and cement to build. The quality of these items re not as credible as they use to be... Use shipping containers for better structure.
The shipping container stuff isn't common on this side yet. However, I love the idea of Engineers in this area to start exploring that. The biggest challenge here would be the exterior. We in this part of the world are so much in love with exterior designs.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 7:38pm On May 02, 2020
jcmaiah:

The shipping container stuff isn't common on this side yet. However, I love the idea of Engineers in this area to start exploring that. The biggest challenge here would be the exterior. We in this part of the world are so much in love with exterior designs.
go on YouTube boss... There are a lot of beautiful container structures.. So beautiful you wouldn't even know they are made of containers... Below is one beautiful one in abuja.. Construction phase and finished

1 Like

Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by supajizy(m): 9:09pm On May 02, 2020
jcmaiah:

Exactly, the excess reinforcement most times average out the poor concrete mixture. The sad thing is most people parading as Engineers know nothing about structural design. Including some Civil Engineering graduates.

Exactly.you are very right. Many engineers aren't even bothered about bar arrangement. Lack of proper lapping and return bars. Na God they save us for this country o. I remember when I told a contractor to use 1:2:4 for a job. He was like he has never used that before. Claiming waste of cement. For a job I was supposed to be using at 1:1.5:2, but my oga no go gree. Construction is filled with plenty cracks in Nigeria.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Nobody: 5:47am On May 03, 2020
INDUSTRIALFAN:
go on YouTube boss... There are a lot of beautiful container structures.. So beautiful you wouldn't even know they are made of containers... Below is one beautiful one in abuja.. Construction phase and finished
Wow! This is beautiful. What was used for the exterior cladding:The part that's whitish? I can see it was not roofed, was the corrugated upper surface covered?
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Nobody: 5:54am On May 03, 2020
supajizy:

Exactly.you are very right. Many engineers aren't even bothered about bar arrangement. Lack of proper lapping and return bars. Na God they save us for this country o. I remember when I told a contractor to use 1:2:4 for a job. He was like he has never used that before. Claiming waste of cement. For a job I was supposed to be using at 1:1.5:2, but my oga no go gree. Construction is filled with plenty cracks in Nigeria.

When it comes to my columns, I don't compromise on that mix ratio thing ooo. As a matter of fact, I discovered most Artisans and some builders waste a lot of reinforcement on slabs. And under reinforce columns. I did a job some time a ago and used a spacing of 200mm and the Iron fitter complained to me that my reinforcement is too wide! I decided to burst his brain, I used 10mm to reinforce the smaller room, the bathrooms and the kitchen as their span was small. The man almost faint. To them standard slab reinforcement is 12@150mm spacing. The same man complained that my column spacing is too close, it was 175mm. This just shows that using a quack never saves cost. It only results in average waste of material in unneeded areas
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by rotecch77(m): 6:42am On May 03, 2020
jcmaiah:

When it comes to my columns, I don't compromise on that mix ratio thing ooo. As a matter of fact, I discovered most Artisans and some builders waste a lot of reinforcement on slabs. And under reinforce columns. I did a job some time a ago and used a spacing of 200mm and the Iron fitter complained to me that my reinforcement is too wide! I decided to burst his brain, I used 10mm to reinforce the smaller room, the bathrooms and the kitchen as their span was small. The man almost faint. To them standard slab reinforcement is 12@150mm spacing. The same man complained that my column spacing is too close, it was 175mm. This just shows that using a quack never saves cost. It only results in average waste of material in unneeded areas

You are very correct my brother.
It just that most clients will tell you haaaaa you are wasting material no no no I don’t have much money like that, like that, meanwhile you given best approach to his or her building.

More so Nigeria 12mm iron rod is not up to the said size again it’s either 11 or 10plus in size, so if the structural details says 10mm the best field practice is to use 12mm for slab noting less.

Also most Nigeria building might be later convert to another design which will require more load on the said slab.
Thanks may God safe us all.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 12:53pm On May 03, 2020
jcmaiah:

Wow! This is beautiful. What was used for the exterior cladding:The part that's whitish? I can see it was not roofed, was the corrugated upper surface covered?
you can either use pop or you could screed the walls... Yes the top was also covered. It's a perfect finish.. Container buildings allow for better and limitless, more futuristic designs
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Nobody: 9:28pm On May 03, 2020
rotecch77:

You are very correct my brother.
It just that most clients will tell you haaaaa you are wasting material no no no I don’t have much money like that, like that, meanwhile you given best approach to his or her building.

More so Nigeria 12mm iron rod is not up to the said size again it’s either 11 or 10plus in size, so if the structural details says 10mm the best field practice is to use 12mm for slab noting less.

Also most Nigeria building might be later convert to another design which will require more load on the said slab.
Thanks may God safe us all.
I buy this steel RYNL. It's of good strength and complete size
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by supajizy(m): 11:16pm On May 11, 2020
jcmaiah:

Lmao. This artisans are a big problem actually. They are just used to patterns. They know nothing about designs. All you hear is na so we dey so am. One told me nobody used 20 and 25mm for columns and it was specified in the drawing in his possession. It's good to know your onions
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Nobody: 8:10am On May 15, 2020
supajizy:

Lmao. This artisans are a big problem actually. They are just used to patterns. They know nothing about designs. All you hear is na so we dey so am. One told me nobody used 20 and 25mm for columns and it was specified in the drawing in his possession. It's good to know your onions
LOL, I tell you. Can you believe that someone built 4 storey building without column base in Aba. The house cracked like mad. Some of the cracks wide like express.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by supajizy(m): 3:49pm On May 16, 2020
jcmaiah:

LOL, I tell you. Can you believe that someone built 4 storey building without column base in Aba. The house cracked like mad. Some of the cracks wide like express.

Lmao. This is crazyyy. What where they thinking?? I can bet it was even still done with normal hollow sandcrete blocks ��
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by supajizy(m): 3:51pm On May 16, 2020
jcmaiah:

Exactly. They don't know 10mm is still slab reinforcement likewise 12mm column reinforcement. We are too sterotyped and it leads to so many issues. Most times overloading.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Nobody: 7:05pm On May 16, 2020
supajizy:

Lmao. This is crazyyy. What where they thinking?? I can bet it was even still done with normal hollow sandcrete blocks ��
Sure na

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bizarre 'Pyramid-Shaped' 18-Storey Building In China Becomes Internet Sensation / Don't Bother Building A Family Swimming Pool If It Is Not Like This (PICS) / Femi Osibona's Lifeless Body Recovered From Collapsed Building Rubble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.