Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,039 members, 7,807,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:53 AM

Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One (42263 Views)

I Lost A Colleague To An Explosion At Work In Kogi (Graphic Photos) / My Bitter Experience Doing A Security Guard Job / Am I Doing The Right Thing In My Workplace? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Rapmoney(m): 10:15pm On May 04, 2020
Cladez:
Are you wiser than the people who made this statement??

"" when in Rome behave like a Roman""

"" if you can't beat them,join them""

Though examinations are just a measure of intelligence and not knowledge actually.

See your sick reasoning!!! Smh.
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by paulGrundy(m): 10:18pm On May 04, 2020
codeigniter:

Then why didn't u take the offer, not taking the offer for moral sake won't do anything, others would take it and life goes on.

I am not criticising u but assuming not taking it would had a great impact then that is when I will not take it after all they are driving money into the economy and that is good, and ur expense would be other people income

what are you saying? "driving economy" with ones sweat? how will you feel if all your life savings and investments were stolen from you?

let's be honest with ourselves there is no justification for doing evil bro.

2 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by jc4real(m): 10:19pm On May 04, 2020
evilive:

Commenting early on a thread is like having a shop at the only entrance into a market. Such comments (in most cases) determine the flow of a thread; if you know what it feels like to be a landlord. Yeah, a laaandLORD.

Most importantly, commenting earlier on a thread increases your chances of getting 'likes'; the new currency stronger than pound and euro combined. I think that's something worth dying for.

As it is in the real world, so it is in the virtual world. It's all about competition; a morbid crave for attention; a silly race to nowhere; a rat race.

I think we all have the trait in our DNA, but the density varies.

So true.
I've noticed this crazy trend on most social media platforms especially Twitter and Instagram. People sleep and wake up there.

Honestly, to be popular on the virtual space is a full time job, and I'm too lazy for that.

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by olumide4christ: 10:23pm On May 04, 2020
dangermouse:
As a HOD, there are these two deligent, beautiful and married ladies working under me. They have been confiding in me, one after the other, pertaining our GM, who wants to forcefully bed them. i tried all i could then to make them ignore and face there duties.Not until the GM mandated me to sack the ladies. Which i refused and after some months, a board meeting was called and the issue pertaining the sack was raised. I stood my ground insisting that if the ladies should be sacked for just no reason, i was going to resign. A month later the ladies were sacked and i made good my threat. Till Today the coy still wants me back with better incentives to the extent of calling the ladies back so as to entice me to come back. Of course they did not go back as i made sure to fix them where i am today with better working condition and incentives.

Well done sir...I look forward to seeing many more stories like yours in our country. If we can have just 1000-5000 of such people like you in our country, Nigeria will never remain the same again but will progress astronomically, bad leaders or not!

Keep it up! I'm encouraged that there are quite a number of us!

2 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by olumide4christ: 10:24pm On May 04, 2020
membranus:

Leave God out of it, He is not a permissive Father, He has never and will never condole illegality.

True!
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by tonididdy(m): 10:27pm On May 04, 2020
Yes I have.
I think few days ago I thought of sharing a similar topic, well now that you did. I will just share my own story here.

Many years ago, I was working in a pure water factory owned by a member of the Edo state house of assembly. My job description was to pack pure water bags in the truck and sometimes act as a motor boy.
The motor boy part was my favorite because it meant extra cash and the company truck driver happened to be my friend from a filling station I used to work before.

On the day I was fired lol from pure water company grin, my phone rang and it was the company truck driver ("my friend" ), he called to tell me, to tell the manager the truck had broken down (engine issues), so I passed the message to the manager and the manager was furious lamenting how the driver is always full of bad luck and excuses. When the driver was asked his location, he said outskirts of EDo... This made the manager and also the supervisor even angrier. They said it wasn't water he had gone to sell otherwise what is he doing near Delta State.
Now this driver friend does go very far, I mean very far into villages and communities just to sell water and meet the days target so for me I wasn't surprised his location.
I was just afraid they would use his location as an excuse to blackmail him for using the truck for other outside company activities hence the truck repairs maybe on him.
I called my friend back in secret and told him the manager was claiming he didn't go to sell water, that he went on some other activities and he should be careful the way he talks with them.

Long story cut short... They tow the truck back to the factory after many hours and I noticed the stare both the manager and the supervisor gave me. Few minutes later the supervisor returned from his office and handed me an envelope. It was a sack letter. In his words he said "I couldn't keep company secrets and I am a threat to the existence of the business ".

At that moment it dawned on me the driver, my supposed friend had betrayed me or angrily spoke of what he had heard and went as far as giving details of who told him what he had heard.

That was it... Job lost.

9 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by olumide4christ: 10:27pm On May 04, 2020
CrazyOptimist:
Wow!!!
Lots of saints on Nairaland.

Would you people do the same thing if you see correct money on the table, and knowing that you'll never get a caught?

That is when I can believe your sincerity, no be ontop primary school or WAEC expo runs where you are afraid you might be caught.

A person of integrity will maintain his/her stand in all situations, money, exam, job, etc.

What is correct money People have returned millions of Naira to the rightful owners before...
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by paulGrundy(m): 10:28pm On May 04, 2020
Psoul:

The same way back after connive with Criminals and fraudsters to defraud a customer and the bank will protect the identity of the fraudsters (internal and external)

your scenario is false because the bank would not want to do anything that works against her interest of which one of them is to retain as much deposit as possible.

cases like these is usually the case of lone wolf e.g

1 An unscrupulous bank official conniving with fraudsters.
2 A hacker that has access to sensitive details of customers.

usually when perpetuators are caught, the bank wastes no time in dealing with them.

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by danielistics(m): 10:34pm On May 04, 2020
Roon9:
Yea! I once got a contract job as a civil engineer. It was a federal project. Omo there were using 14 headpan of sand to 1 bag of cement.

First day on the job i was quoting BS codes upandan. It wasnt upto 1hour i got a call from Abuja (The contractor).

I hail naija

During my SIWES last year I was surprised BS codes were not used at all at site.

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by codeigniter(m): 10:40pm On May 04, 2020
paulGrundy:

what are you saying? "driving economy" with ones sweat? how will you feel if all your life savings and investments were stolen from you?

let's be honest with ourselves there is no justification for doing evil bro.

I understand, but at that point the deed has already been done anyways I don't support crime, but it's part of human nature to cheat, and it is not going anywhere

There nothing like evil or good, it depends on your perspective something that is truly evil might geniunely be good for another person

All in all I don't support crime but I will do things with logic, the great guys will all look up to today are the shadiest people to deal with and most of them are tough and dont give a damn about other people, they are selfish and don't mind cheating to get advantage over the competition, yet we hail they because they drive value to other people bad and evil to there competition but good to there shareholders,
All in all theworld is full of evil or whatever u choose to call it

My write may not correlate with ur argument but I hope u understand thing from my point of view
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by verifiedlegacy: 10:42pm On May 04, 2020
Roon9:
Yea! I once got a contract job as a civil engineer. It was a federal project. Omo there were using 14 headpan of sand to 1 bag of cement.

First day on the job i was quoting BS codes upandan. It wasnt upto 1hour i got a call from Abuja (The contractor).

I hail naija

bro I need us to talk about something.. about civil engineering,.. can we
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by tonididdy(m): 10:43pm On May 04, 2020
dangervu:
I was taught in a school where examination malpractice was the order of the day! I taught introtect ,I took it upon my self to impact knowledge not just teach! Junior waec came the principal told me to solve the questions on the board, I bluntly refuse, told him I had confidence in my pupil, I was just in the hall to give little assistance, like formulas they forget , 85 percent of them passed my subject my salary was increased , years after I left the school my student with meet me on the road and ask me to define ohms law ! I was nicked name uncle ohms law ! Most teachers teach without impacting knowledge ... besides I did education
And what Myopic school did you teach?
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by olumide4christ: 10:46pm On May 04, 2020
codeigniter:

U are not that good, you are just afraid of taking risk, you had sleepless night because u are weighing the pros and cons before u finally decided.

This is a country where everybody takes fraud as an opportunity.

Speak for yourself, not everybody.
I have never stolen a dime from any of my previous 8 employers, talkless of my numerous clients.

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by valentineuwakwe(m): 11:00pm On May 04, 2020
Dotng:

There is the need to exercise wisdom in handling cases like this. You do it on your own terms. It is their choice to be dubious and it is his choice to respond whichever way it pleases him. He does not owe them any response.

my dear he owe them an explanation to either accept to be part of it or not,mots a meeting called by the head of the school.of you are not going to be a part of it, you signal it there and let them know your stand.keeping mute signals your agreement with them. so on the d day you reneged on the agreement of yes which you agreed earlier in the staff room by keeping mute...well the end justifies it all.
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by CrazyOptimist: 11:08pm On May 04, 2020
olumide4christ:

A person of integrity will maintain his/her stand in all situations, money, exam, job, etc.

What is correct money People have returned millions of Naira to the rightful owners before...

Your definition of a person of integrity is right but incomplete. You should include the phrase 'even though he knows he wouldn't get caught'.

I can give several examples of people who claim to be saints and Angel's, but when opportunity came and the chances of 'nobody will know' came. My God!!! They did what a known devil wouldn't even do.

I'm not a supporter of illegality. May God help us
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Roon9(m): 11:17pm On May 04, 2020
verifiedlegacy:

bro I need us to talk about something.. about civil engineering,.. can we

Yes sir
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Roon9(m): 11:17pm On May 04, 2020
danielistics:

During my SIWES last year I was surprised BS codes were not used at all at site.

Lols! Which yeye bs grin those concrete women go use mud as sharp sand
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Roon9(m): 11:18pm On May 04, 2020
ArcFresky:

14 headpans?
That's a crime against humanity.

Sometimes its up to 18
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Dotng: 11:22pm On May 04, 2020
valentineuwakwe:

my dear he owe them an explanation to either accept to be part of it or not,mots a meeting called by the head of the school.of you are not going to be a part of it, you signal it there and let them know your stand.keeping mute signals your agreement with them. so on the d day you reneged on the agreement of yes which you agreed earlier in the staff room by keeping mute...well the end justifies it all.

If they chose to propose deals that they know will not seat well with him, then they had it coming. If they feel want answers to their questions then they should chose their questions well and who they ask. It is the sense of being entitled to an answer because of their exalted position that gave them a false sense of expectation. He does not owe them anything other than what was expected by both parties when he began working with them.
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Legendguru: 11:28pm On May 04, 2020
I quit jobs several jobs never got sacked I made myself a millionaire by myself after
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by paschal47(m): 11:41pm On May 04, 2020
dangermouse:
As a HOD, there are these two deligent, beautiful and married ladies working under me. They have been confiding in me, one after the other, pertaining our GM, who wants to forcefully bed them. i tried all i could then to make them ignore and face there duties.Not until the GM mandated me to sack the ladies. Which i refused and after some months, a board meeting was called and the issue pertaining the sack was raised. I stood my ground insisting that if the ladies should be sacked for just no reason, i was going to resign. A month later the ladies were sacked and i made good my threat. Till Today the coy still wants me back with better incentives to the extent of calling the ladies back so as to entice me to come back. Of course they did not go back as i made sure to fix them where i am today with better working condition and incentives.

May God continue to bless you
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by paschal47(m): 11:48pm On May 04, 2020
faithfull18:
Kudos to you OP, I did lose a job because I wanted to do the right thing.

That was when I realized the world punishes the good and promotes the dishonest.

It can be painful but knowing the fact you pleased God, your conscience is clear gives relief.

Don't relent my dear. Keep doing the right thing, it would definitely pay off
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by ogajoe(m): 11:56pm On May 04, 2020
am not sure it is. just as exam malpractice is prevalent in secondary schools. so it is also prevalent in banking. many of my colleagues do it. its like an open secret. management implicitly indirectly encourages it because it helps them meet their liquidity drive.

one of my line managers used to say this:

bring any type of money to the bank from any source, we will accept it, but do it smartly and don't allow the regulatory authorities catch you, or we deny you!

To let you know how prevalent it is in banking, a colleague of mine was implicated in a fraud scheme busted by the FBI all the way from USA that made headlines last year. her crime was that she did not do due diligence when opening the fraudsters account. the bank hired the best lawyers and fought her case, indirectly protecting the interest of the fraudster. after the whole ordeal she was promoted instantly to a branch manager. grin cheesy[/quote] Clean and upright individuals are now endangered species, lmao cool cool
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by ogajoe(m): 11:57pm On May 04, 2020
am not sure it is. just as exam malpractice is prevalent in secondary schools. so it is also prevalent in banking. many of my colleagues do it. its like an open secret. management implicitly indirectly encourages it because it helps them meet their liquidity drive.

bring any type of money to the bank from any source, we will accept it, but do it smartly and don't allow the regulatory authorities catch you, or we deny you!

To let you know how prevalent it is in banking, a colleague of mine was implicated in a fraud scheme busted by the FBI all the way from USA that made headlines last year. her crime was that she did not do due diligence when opening the fraudsters account. the bank hired the best lawyers and fought her case, indirectly protecting the interest of the fraudster. after the whole ordeal she was promoted instantly to a branch manager.

Clean and upright individuals are now endangered species, lmao cool cool
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by ogajoe(m): 11:58pm On May 04, 2020

To let you know how prevalent it is in banking, a colleague of mine was implicated in a fraud scheme busted by the FBI all the way from USA that made headlines last year. her crime was that she did not do due diligence when opening the fraudsters account. the bank hired the best lawyers and fought her case, indirectly protecting the interest of the fraudster. after the whole ordeal she was promoted instantly to a branch manager.

Clean and upright individuals are now endangered species, lmao cool cool
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by ghettochild4u(m): 12:20am On May 05, 2020
Mike4S:

As usual, it is not how far but how well. After promoting her, she will forever have her conscience pricking her until she do the needful
You think it's everyone that has a conscience.. Did she follow fraudster to go steal the money??
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by ghettochild4u(m): 12:28am On May 05, 2020
Mine happened last year here in South Africa,
Was teaching Life Sciences(Biology) and Geography at a private school in a town in the province of KwaZulu-Natal.
The grade 12(final year) students are unserious and you would know they were purposefully promoted..
Anyways I did the first term, 2nd term and third term.. Meanwhile 3rd term exams used to be paper1 and paper 2...
These kids failed sha..
And theres always moderation at the beginning of every term.. So I resumed 4th term in early October and started preparing for moderation..
Meanwhile the director who owns the school never called me to add marks for the learners before going for moderation by the department of education... Well if he did, I would simply hand over everything to him to do it himself..
The annoying things is.. This man is a pastor.
Anyways I did take that poor result for moderation and this man was pissed.. He said I want to spoil his business....
Anyways story cut short he terminated my contract at the end of October..
Well I hear its a norm.. No wonder South Africa produces half baked/half qualified graduates even in their tertiary institutions..
Anyways still looking out for a job..
I don't feel bad tho.. Cos i upheld the belief that I had....
I hate nonsense.. If u want to fail.. Fail judiciously.

4 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by obaro85: 12:30am On May 05, 2020
Shit happens in the work environment.

Anyways

Join the free jobberman training to learn soft skills and get certified after the training.

Register for free before the training commence

https://newsonthegotoday.com/q785ei
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by ghettochild4u(m): 12:31am On May 05, 2020
Roon9:

I hail naija
How many headpans was the standard...
I remembered when I use to do pounpoun work after sec sch...
Na 11 to 1 bag
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by ghettochild4u(m): 12:40am On May 05, 2020
dangermouse:
Wow
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by sketcherJ(m): 12:48am On May 05, 2020
evilive:

Commenting early on a thread is like having a shop at the only entrance into a market. Such comments (in most cases) determine the flow of a thread; if you know what it feels like to be a landlord. Yeah, a laaandLORD.

Most importantly, commenting earlier on a thread increases your chances of getting 'likes'; the new currency stronger than pound and euro combined. I think that's something worth dying for.

As it is in the real world, so it is in the virtual world. It's all about competition; a morbid crave for attention; a silly race to nowhere; a rat race.

I think we all have the trait in our DNA, but the density varies.

I like your analysis bro
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by MrCork17: 12:55am On May 05, 2020
pocohantas:

How am I sure you guys know what you were marking? Nigerian graduates are not so smart either. grin grin

Please can u accepts 1000 naira cash for kiss,hug,romance & extra hug n kiss please? I will pay u cash up front sir wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Doctors' Call Duty Bed At UDUTH Accident & Emergency Department!!! / Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs. / Nwabueze Eucharia, A Graduate Of UNIZIK Paints & Tiles (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.