Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods (1125 Views)

The concept of Elohim (God/gods) In The Bible / 10 Fallacies Theist and deist Use To Defend The Existence Of God/gods / Demystifying The Confusion - God, Gods God And Creator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by Modo9(f): 7:19pm On May 03, 2020
i am not an atheist but i have noticed people tend to lean towards our emotions when trying to defend god. For example, i was having a discussion with some friends of mine and one guy brought up a point that "it is because i have not suffered that is why i am questioning god"

Dantedasz hakeem4 MJBOLT raptex LordReed CAPSLOCKED hopefulandlord hakeem12 seun hahn GoodBadandUgly

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by ebexofficial: 7:20pm On May 03, 2020
Thats the best appeal for what cannot be seen or proven.
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by ikh777: 7:21pm On May 03, 2020
Modo9:
i am not an atheist but i have noticed people tend to lean towards our emotions when trying to defend god. For example, i was having a discussion with some friends of mine and one guy brought up a point that "it is because i have not suffered that is why i am questioning god"

Dantedasz hakeem4 MJBOLT raptex LordReed CAPSLOCKED hopefulandlord hakeem12 seun hahn GoodBadandUgly

Simply because they do not know the scriptures to use... due to the sad fact that they do not study but rather depend on miracles and prophecies to get buy.

The early church was full of studios people. Today its mostly dramatic performance and cheering.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by butterfly777(m): 7:27pm On May 03, 2020
People use emotional appeal because not everybody is logical. Some people exercise more sentiment than rationality. That's why their way of discussing issues is based on sentiment and emotional appeal, not logical reasoning.

You can easily spot them also when they are discussing football. They cannot put patriotism or club preference side when arguing. They argue blindly.

That's what they also showcase when discussing religious issues. And so many people are like that.

When I was an atheist, and I was in search of the truth, I could hardly hold any helpful discussion on religion with them. Even to answer simple question of how they know there is God, it's either they say that are you wiser than the parents who have been practicing religion, or who created you, and other statements they don't know are not really that rationale.

Thank God that He showed me the way sha. Those people were not of help to me.
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by hakeem4(m): 7:29pm On May 03, 2020
Modo9:

Appealing to someone's emotion is a weak way of arguing. so because you have suffered now makes jesus the son of god or mohammed the last prophet? You should not continue the discussion with those people again. Logic does not work that way.

The only thing your friends are trying to show you is that they are suffering nothing more nothing less!

Now lets assume god exists wont it be right for them to stop worshiping him? Since he only cares about what people do with their private parts rather than him to solve major issues like hunger and diseases!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by LordReed(m): 7:30pm On May 03, 2020
Modo9:

Religion is about emotionally capturing people's minds. It is one of the reasons it it so effective in inspiring people to do all sorts of things.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by hakeem4(m): 7:43pm On May 03, 2020
butterfly777:
People use emotional appeal because not everybody is logical. Some people exercise more sentiment than rationality. That's why their way of discussing issues is based on sentiment and emotional appeal, not logical reasoning.

You can easily spot them also when they are discussing football. They cannot put patriotism or club preference side when arguing. They argue blindly.

That's what they also showcase when discussing religious issues. And so many people are like that.

When I was an atheist, and I was in search of the truth, I could hardly hold any helpful discussion on religion with them. Even to answer simple question of how they know there is God, it's either they say that are you wiser than the parents who have been practicing religion, or who created you, and other statements they don't know are not really that rationale.

But appealing to people's emotion is a wrong way to discuss. As a believer you are supposed to give evidence.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by butterfly777(m): 7:44pm On May 03, 2020
hakeem4:
But appealing to people's emotion is a wrong way to discuss. As a believer you are supposed to give evidence.

Of course. That's what I said.

But some people are not naturally all that logical.
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by MJBOLT: 8:08pm On May 03, 2020
next time they use such line,just tell them the same things that will happen to you will also happen to them,god or no god.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 03, 2020
butterfly777:

Thank God for the salvation of your soul. Make sure you show others the way "sha". smiley
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by Danhumprey: 10:44pm On May 03, 2020
Modo9:

Logodwhiz! undecided
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by kingxsamz(m): 11:00pm On May 03, 2020
Or some would say, "pray something bad does not happen to you, that will make you look for God".
They use this line when they've got no reasonable point.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by Dantedasz(m): 12:41pm On May 04, 2020
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by Kobojunkie: 11:02pm On May 20, 2020
Modo9:
Why defend God? Is God not powerful enough to defend His own self? What does God gain from the mouth of a mere mortal in terms of His security as God? Does God benefit from men placing themselves "in the gap" on behalf God?
Just some of the questions you might have asked them instead, so you can maybe get more appropriate response from them grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by onlyinJESUS: 11:15pm On May 20, 2020
Modo9:

Very Simple answer; they have NO argument.

They don't know that atheists are as clueless as themselves

1 Like

Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by onlyinJESUS: 11:17pm On May 20, 2020
kingxsamz:
Or some would say, "pray something bad does not happen to you, that will make you look for God".
They use this line when they've got no reasonable point.
True.
But we have noticed that atheists tend to look for some Creator whenever they are facing problems
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by onlyinJESUS: 11:18pm On May 20, 2020
Eulalia:

Thank God for the salvation of your soul. Make sure you show others the way "sha". smiley

Have you ever been able to clearly prove the existence of our great God to an atheist?
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by CAPSLOCKED: 11:21pm On May 20, 2020
onlyinJESUS:

SO WHO ISN'T CLUELESS ABOUT THESE THINGS?

THE BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN US ALL IS THAT ONE GROUP CONTINUES TO LOOK FOR CLUES AND EXPLANATIONS FOR THINGS, THE OTHER GROUP BELIEVES INVISIBLE PERSONS UP ABOVE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR IT ALL.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by Nobody: 11:24pm On May 20, 2020
onlyinJESUS:

Have you ever been able to clearly prove the existence of our great God to an atheist?

Have you?
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by onlyinJESUS: 11:28pm On May 20, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

SO WHO ISN'T CLUELESS ABOUT THESE THINGS?

THE BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN US ALL IS THAT ONE GROUP CONTINUES TO LOOK FOR CLUES AND EXPLANATIONS FOR THINGS, THE OTHER GROUP BELIEVES INVISIBLE PERSONS UP ABOVE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR IT ALL.

"The other group believes invisible persons" you are wrong sir, the Bible wasn't written by spirits. It was written by men who actually existed.

"THAT ONE GROUP CONTINUES TO LOOK FOR CLUES AND EXPLANATIONS FOR THINGS" yes! And some of their discoveries could be very contradictory.
Some atheists don't even believe in freewill, I mean, the best of atheists. Another group believes there's a freewill.

Atheists go against logic in saying that there is no God
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by onlyinJESUS: 11:30pm On May 20, 2020
Eulalia:

Have you?

Even nature teaches us something. There are people who were born blind and have never seen the sun. How in the world would you convince such people that the sun exists. If light is the one attribute of the sun?
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by CAPSLOCKED: 11:38pm On May 20, 2020
onlyinJESUS:

"The other group believes invisible persons" you are wrong sir, the Bible wasn't written by spirits. It was written by men who actually existed.
PEOPLE THAT EXISTED WROTE A BOOK ABOUT TALKING ANIMALS AND INVISIBLE PERSONS. UNTIL THE END OF ALL OF US ALIVE RIGHT NOW ON EARTH, WE MAY NEVER WITNESS BOTH.

"THAT ONE GROUP CONTINUES TO LOOK FOR CLUES AND EXPLANATIONS FOR THINGS" yes! And some of their discoveries could be very contradictory.
THE WORLD HAS PROGRESSED THIS MUCH BECAUSE PEOPLE LOOKED FOR CLUES AND EXPLANATIONS FOR THINGS. WE MAY NOT HAVE HAD IT 100%, BUT AT LEAST, WE CAN NOW EXPLAIN LEPROSY AND LIGHTNING, AND SEVERAL OTHER THINGS WHICH MADE US KILL GOATS IN APPEASEMENT OF GODS.

Some atheists don't even believe in freewill, I mean, the best of atheists. Another group believes there's a freewill.
ATHEISTS, JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE HAVE THE UNDENIABLE FREEDOM TO BELIEVE WHATEVER THEY WANT. BUT FACT WILL ALWAYS BE FACT, AND LEGENDS WILL ALWAYS BE LEGENDS.

Atheists go against logic in saying that there is no God.
LOGIC IS WHEN YOU TELL AN ATHEIST THERE'S A HORN ON YOUR HEAD AND HE SAYS "SHOW ME".

1 Like

Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by LordReed(m): 11:39pm On May 20, 2020
onlyinJESUS:

We agree we are clueless it's much better than deceiving yourself into claiming you know what you can't possibly know.

Our cluelessness allows us the opportunity to ask questions and grow in knowledge while your self deceit makes you wallow in dogmatic nonsense that blinds you to your humanity.
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by LordReed(m): 11:43pm On May 20, 2020
butterfly777:

What convinced you a god exists and this god is the one the bible describes?
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by onlyinJESUS: 11:48pm On May 20, 2020
LordReed:

We agree we are clueless it's much better than deceiving yourself into claiming you know what you can't possibly know.

Our cluelessness allows us the opportunity to ask questions and grow in knowledge while your self deceit makes you wallow in dogmatic nonsense that blinds you to your humanity.

You probably forgot the meaning of 'atheist'. Could it be that you misunderstand it to mean agnostic?

Atheists don't claim that they are clueless as regards the existence of God. They affirm that there is no God ANYWHERE. Now, that's even contrary to logic. You must know all things before you can correctly say that, "this or that doesn't exist".

The more consistent natural view is agnosticism.

Also, to say that, "your self deceit makes you wallow in dogmatic nonsense that blinds you to your humanity" is also contrary to logic. That a man can't see or feel the sun doesn't mean its not in existence.

Some men were born blind and with Many others when various deformities. It would be unreasonable for a disabled person to say that, because I can't do this or that therefore, such acts don't exist.

Atheists should understand that it's possible that diety only reveals himself to some
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by onlyinJESUS: 12:06am On May 21, 2020
[quote author=CAPSLOCKED post=89780689][/quote]

"PEOPLE THAT EXISTED WROTE A BOOK ABOUT TALKING ANIMALS AND INVISIBLE PERSONS. UNTIL THE END OF ALL OF US ALIVE RIGHT NOW ON EARTH, WE MAY NEVER WITNESS BOTH"

Why is it considered impossible for animals to have talked at some point in time? By what standard do you deem something impossible?

Isn't the concept of talking animals as ridiculous as a causeless cause.
But atheists affirm "causeless cause"
which happened at some point in time and we have never witnessed any such thing again. That we don't see such things happen now doesn't discredit the fact that they could have happened sometime ago.

"THE WORLD HAS PROGRESSED THIS MUCH BECAUSE PEOPLE LOOKED FOR CLUES AND EXPLANATIONS FOR THINGS. WE MAY NOT HAVE HAD IT 100%, BUT AT LEAST, WE CAN NOW EXPLAIN LEPROSY AND LIGHTNING, AND SEVERAL OTHER THINGS WHICH MADE US KILL GOATS IN APPEASEMENT OF GODS" the problem with atheism is that they want to make sense out of what is nonsense (according to their world view).
I am not arguing for all religion but Christianity. Now, we believe that sin is the cause of all misery on Earth.

But, the atheist. Thinking he is wiser says that parasites feasting on humans is the cause of sickness. But they themselves have never been able to answer the ultimate question. Which is WHY? why should parasites feed on living things? Isn't this a destructive process, why are atoms in the world trying to self destruct. Since the big bang was a creative process, why should a product of it be destructive?
It turns out that any atheists that trys to make sense out of this nonsense called the world isn't consistent with himself.

"ATHEISTS, JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE HAVE THE UNDENIABLE FREEDOM TO BELIEVE WHATEVER THEY WANT. BUT FACT WILL ALWAYS BE FACT, AND LEGENDS WILL ALWAYS BE LEGENDS. "
Where does this concept of freedom of the will comes from? Those born blind, did they choose to be born that way? If atheists are consistent with their worldview, they'd acknowledge that nothing can possibly be random. A particle behaves they way it does because something cause it to behave that way. Not that it choose to do so.
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by LordReed(m): 3:48am On May 21, 2020
onlyinJESUS:

You probably forgot the meaning of 'atheist'. Could it be that you misunderstand it to mean agnostic?

Atheists don't claim that they are clueless as regards the existence of God. They affirm that there is no God ANYWHERE. Now, that's even contrary to logic. You must know all things before you can correctly say that, "this or that doesn't exist".

The more consistent natural view is agnosticism.

Also, to say that, "your self deceit makes you wallow in dogmatic nonsense that blinds you to your humanity" is also contrary to logic. That a man can't see or feel the sun doesn't mean its not in existence.

Some men were born blind and with Many others when various deformities. It would be unreasonable for a disabled person to say that, because I can't do this or that therefore, such acts don't exist.

Atheists should understand that it's possible that diety only reveals himself to some

You have your definitions mixed up. An atheist says "I don't believe" while an agnostic says "I don't know".

When you can show that your beliefs are congruent with reality then you claim that atheists are being illogical. In the mean time all we can see you do is play acting a role with no basis in reality.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by butterfly777(m): 4:38am On May 21, 2020
LordReed:

What convinced you a god exists and this god is the one the bible describes?

Does God exist?

I used to believe that God does not exist, until one day. That day, I read an article which opened my eyes.

That article was about the design in nature. It explains that behind the simless ways our body function and the organs interact with each other, there is an entity that programmed the operation.

Let's look at the digestive system alone. When. You want to eat, the mouth is designed to salivate. Something triggers the body to secret the hormones or enzymes necessary for digestion. Then you start putting the food in your mouth. The mouth is designed by that person to function like a grinding machine, with different types if teeth and your saliva functioning as liquid to mix the food.

Right there in the mouth, some enzymes will also be secreted to aid the breaking down of the food in your body. From the mouth, the entity that designed it has made a conduit - the lungs- to carry the food from the mouth to the intestines. Some food will go through the small intestine, some, will go to the large intestine. Yet, the food does not miss road. They engineering made by someone in our body to takes care of that.

Lest I forget, remember that there are two passages from the mouth area to the internal organs, yet the food knows which passage is its own. It doesn't take the passage meant for oxygen.

The food goes down through our intestines, and the maker has kept some enzymes inside there to further digest that food. After doing that, the engineer who made the body has made some sieves or organs like foam in the body to absorb the nutrients the body will use, and sieve away unwanted food substances.

The way the body absorbs and converts nutrients from food into useful forms is another highly technical process, that cannot happen by accident. Someone or something arranged it to function seamlessly.

Then, the body transports the rejected food waste through some organs ( I'm not a scientist, so don't mind my layman explanation) that will lead it to the anus.

At this stage, the person's brain is made by the maker to make the person feel tht he wants to pass out on the food waste - faeces. The person looks for a nearby restroom and pours out the food materials rejected by the body.

Hence, the body has successfully taken the energy it needs to stay alive from food, and has removed the rest from the body, so that it doesn't cause problem inside the body.

This is just one of the many highly complex arrangements somebody put in our body for it to work well. You may choose to call that somebody creator, or any name you like. But it is clear that someone somewhere made this human body and arranged how it will work.
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by Dantedasz(m): 7:26am On May 21, 2020
butterfly777:

Does God exist?

I used to believe that God does not exist, until one day. That day, I read an article which opened my eyes.

That article was about the design in nature. It explains that behind the simless ways our body function and the organs interact with each other, there is an entity that programmed the operation.

Let's look at the digestive system alone. When. You want to eat, the mouth is designed to salivate. Something triggers the body to secret the hormones or enzymes necessary for digestion. Then you start putting the food in your mouth. The mouth is designed by that person to function like a grinding machine, with different types if teeth and your saliva functioning as liquid to mix the food.

Right there in the mouth, some enzymes will also be secreted to aid the breaking down of the food in your body. From the mouth, the entity that designed it has made a conduit - the lungs- to carry the food from the mouth to the intestines. Some food will go through the small intestine, some, will go to the large intestine. Yet, the food does not miss road. They engineering made by someone in our body to takes care of that.

Lest I forget, remember that there are two passages from the mouth area to the internal organs, yet the food knows which passage is its own. It doesn't take the passage meant for oxygen.

The food goes down through our intestines, and the maker has kept some enzymes inside there to further digest that food. After doing that, the engineer who made the body has made some sieves or organs like foam in the body to absorb the nutrients the body will use, and sieve away unwanted food substances.

The way the body absorbs and converts nutrients from food into useful forms is another highly technical process, that cannot happen by accident. Someone or something arranged it to function seamlessly.

Then, the body transports the rejected food waste through some organs ( I'm not a scientist, so don't mind my layman explanation) that will lead it to the anus.

At this stage, the person's brain is made by the maker to make the person feel tht he wants to pass out on the food waste - faeces. The person looks for a nearby restroom and pours out the food materials rejected by the body.

Hence, the body has successfully taken the energy it needs to stay alive from food, and has removed the rest from the body, so that it doesn't cause problem inside the body.

This is just one of the many highly complex arrangements somebody put in our body for it to work well. You may choose to call that somebody creator, or any name you like. But it is clear that someone somewhere made this human body and arranged how it will work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdKzpV7sa10
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by LordReed(m): 8:09am On May 21, 2020
butterfly777:

Does God exist?

So basically you became convinced that a supernatural entity created natural processes, correct?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by butterfly777(m): 8:36am On May 21, 2020
LordReed:

So basically you became convinced that a supernatural entity created natural processes, correct?

Yes.
Re: Why Do Believers Use Emotional Appeal To Defend Their God/gods by hakeem4(m): 8:49am On May 21, 2020
onlyinJESUS:

So is god, Jesus, and demons not invisible made up entities?

atheism is just a lack of belief! that's all. the only thing that joins all atheist together is their lack of belief. we do not have any authority guiding us on how to live our lives

Atheists go against logic in saying that there is no God
I think the theist goes against logic in this case. It is only a stupid fellow that would believe in something without evidence

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Will We Ever Feel Safe And Secure? What Does The Bible Have To Say? / Google Has Built A Human Robot / Altars And Shrines: Power Is Greater Than Power.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.