Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

Igbo Philosophy: The Traditional Concept Of "Ibo Chi/chi Ifo Na Chi Iji. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Igbo Philosophy: The Traditional Concept Of "Ibo Chi/chi Ifo Na Chi Iji. (814 Views)

Burial Of Man, 2 Daughters Who Died After Taking Traditional Medicine In Anambra / Traditional Doctors Forcing A Child Out Of A Woman 'Pregnant For 7 Years' (Video / Causes And Way To Handle Eczema(ifo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Philosophy: The Traditional Concept Of "Ibo Chi/chi Ifo Na Chi Iji. by PericomaNwankwo: 10:33pm On May 03, 2020
In the Igbo traditional "costume", Dawn and dusk greetings/pleasantries hold a deep connection to the Igbo philosophy of life.

In Igbo traditional setting, "Good morning, good night or good afternoon" do not carry the emotionality of "wishing someone a good time" instead it carries the emotionality of a prayer for a certain phenomenon to occur in the sense that the occurance of this phenomenon gives us the assurance of tomorrow. Igbos are naturally spiritual people which is very evident in the concept of Chi.

Good morning is translated as ututuoma in Igbo, which is an anglacized Igbo with English as the origin of definition. But in the traditional setting, the morning greeting in Igbo is "I boola chi?" While the Night version is " ka chi foo" with a response "ka o boo".

Now I want you to understand the words that make up this greeting and the root logic behind the Igbo adoption of it as their mode of greeting.

Chi: Chi in this context, doesn't mean a person's personal god, chi doesn't mean day. Chi in this context means a phenomenon that ought to occur for nature to experience change in the natural process of timing. I boola chi? Literally translates to "have you awoken?" But a word by word breakdown translates to "have you opened chi?" Boola means to open, to uncover or to unearth. When you unearth your chi (the chi phenomenon can also be personal or compound, for instance, a person that couldn't unearth his chi means the person died at night ) , the chi will last from the time of unearthing (that is why you say "chi ka di, chuo ewu ojii mgbe chi ka di, because chi is like the sun that will still fade to rise again) until your chi fades (chi ijii, chi ejiele ?means chi has darkened) after darkening, you say "ka chi foo" which means "may chi grow, or may chi sprout with a response "ka o boo" which translates to "may it unearth" or "may it harvest".

This teaches us the progress our ancestors made in their learning and understanding of timing and how the process of timing affects our daily life. The Igbos believed that the natural process of timing affects a person's day to day life.

Onye odee ihe ogugu bu

www.facebook.com/chibuzor11

More on the comment section......

https://www.nairaland.com/5833885/igbo-philosophy-traditional-concept-ibo

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Philosophy: The Traditional Concept Of "Ibo Chi/chi Ifo Na Chi Iji. by ibksiv(m): 10:46pm On May 03, 2020
Ayam coming

1 Like

Re: Igbo Philosophy: The Traditional Concept Of "Ibo Chi/chi Ifo Na Chi Iji. by PericomaNwankwo: 10:55pm On May 03, 2020
Ndi Igbo smiley
Re: Igbo Philosophy: The Traditional Concept Of "Ibo Chi/chi Ifo Na Chi Iji. by Nmeribe17(m): 11:02pm On May 03, 2020
its a nice write-ups.... jisike.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Philosophy: The Traditional Concept Of "Ibo Chi/chi Ifo Na Chi Iji. by Ojiofor: 11:02pm On May 03, 2020
Educative.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Philosophy: The Traditional Concept Of "Ibo Chi/chi Ifo Na Chi Iji. by IduNaOba: 11:07pm On May 03, 2020
PericomaNwankwo:
In the Igbo traditional "costume", Dawn and dusk greetings/pleasantries hold a deep connection to the Igbo philosophy of life.

In Igbo traditional setting, "Good morning, good night or good afternoon" do not carry the emotionality of "wishing someone a good time" instead it carries the emotionality of a prayer for a certain phenomenon to occur in the sense that the occurance of this phenomenon gives us the assurance of tomorrow. Igbos are naturally spiritual people which is very evident in the concept of Chi.

Good morning is translated as ututuoma in Igbo, which is an anglacized Igbo with English as the origin of definition. But in the traditional setting, the morning greeting in Igbo is "I boola chi?" While the Night version is " ka chi foo" with a response "ka o boo".

Now I want you to understand the words that make up this greeting and the root logic behind the Igbo adoption of it as their mode of greeting.

Chi: Chi in this context, doesn't mean a person's personal god, chi doesn't mean day. Chi in this context means a phenomenon that ought to occur for nature to experience change in the natural process of timing. I boola chi? Literally translates to "have you awoken?" But a word by word breakdown translates to "have you opened chi?" Boola means to open, to uncover or to unearth. When you unearth your chi (the chi phenomenon can also be personal or compound, for instance, a person that couldn't unearth his chi means the person died at night ) , the chi will last from the time of unearthing (that is why you say "chi ka di, chuo ewu ojii mgbe chi ka di, because chi is like the sun that will still fade to rise again) until your chi fades (chi ijii, chi ejiele ?means chi has darkened) after darkening, you say "ka chi foo" which means "may chi grow, or may chi sprout with a response "ka o boo" which translates to "may it unearth" or "may it harvest".

This teaches us the progress our ancestors made in their learning and understanding of timing and how the process of timing affects our daily life. The Igbos believed that the natural process of timing affects a person's day to day life.

Onye odee ihe ogugu bu

www.facebook.com/chibuzor11

More on the comment section......

https://www.nairaland.com/5833885/igbo-philosophy-traditional-concept-ibo
Do not cast treasure to swine.
Most people today take Igbo cosmology for granted.
I commend you for this great post however... Those who will receive it will receive it.
I already stopped doing too much...
The Igbo AFA system holds the key to obtaining every information in the world. It is the proof that igbos are futuristic super race in fact
Aliens
God's
Titans
You decide.
Igbo Amaka!
Gwazie ndị yard Ụnụ

1 Like

Re: Igbo Philosophy: The Traditional Concept Of "Ibo Chi/chi Ifo Na Chi Iji. by smileyoo: 11:13pm On May 03, 2020
Igbo amaka.
one thing I like about our Igbo people is that we are highly civilized people, highly peaceful and appreciative of life. we hate the un-necessary wasting of innocent lives.
only in ibo land, if you're proven to have committed muder, even you own family 'll be the ones that ' ll hunt you down, so as to appease the anger of the land, unlike some other people that supports their people killing innocent children, for whatever reasons.
I wish other tribes in Nigeria can be as peaceful as the ibos, nigeria for sweet no be small.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Gunshot: What Happens When a bullet hits Someone / Man Pulls 17ft Long 'Alien' Tapeworm From His Bum After Stomach Pains (Graphic) / Surrogacy: I Am Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.