Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? (42066 Views)

Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad / Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? / Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by DonroxyII: 9:50pm On May 06, 2020
veave:

Keyword: *was*

I don't have the energy to argue with or prove anything to you.
Was was just recognised...
I'm sorry Ma'am!
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Polchiz(m): 9:52pm On May 06, 2020
Walexz02:
It's all assumption brother.
Many for go it to avoid being idle after searching for job with no success
Very soon, getting a lucrative job without M. SC will be damn difficult. If you have the money and the passion, go for it.
Even if you decide to go into business after Master's degree, you will do the business in a different way.

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by edrys(m): 9:53pm On May 06, 2020
DonroxyII:
M.sc is more rigorous, time demanding and even more expensive ....

I'm reading ICAN on my own but MSC equipped me with the maturity to read OMO .... I think I made a mistake of undergoing MSC before ICAN ... I would have preferred to be chartered first before M.sc ..... ICAN would have made my M.sc more easier and my Dissertation more easier.

Thanks !!

I appreciate your prompt response. May I know if your career path is Academics? I am sending you a PM.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by DonroxyII: 9:58pm On May 06, 2020
Polchiz:

You are welcome dear
In my very eyes I lost a lecturing position in a Federal monotechnic because I didn't have an M. SC.
I had to buy the form and start immediately. Fortunately, M. SC is compulsory for the job I have now and it is not a lecturing job neither is it a Research position but a Management position in a multinational.
I wouldn't have forgiven myself if I didn't go for my Masters because this job is my dream job.
I hope when I finished up my ICAN, I can have a Multinational too .... I lost a Technical Assistant Job with a Program sponsored by DFID due to lack of MSC.... I was even part of the logistics for the recruitment .... Imagine , I wonder why not me ... Organising CVs and making photocopies this was during my NYSC days .... My fellow colleagues that graduated from Abroad already had their Masters ... They all nabbed the job ... some of us Naija grads were the photocopy dudes and serving tea for the recruitment exercise....

I dusted myself up and heed the call of my folks singing MSC song for me since I graduated ...

I even had to jettisoned UBA job for my own ... grin Bank and their wahala cheesy ... Many people think I dey craze but never again should one be hindered.

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by chloride6: 10:01pm On May 06, 2020
Polchiz:

Where I work now, you can't even apply if you don't have a B. SC 2:1 + M. SC in some selected fields.

Na you sabi..

It's not an IoC sha
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by DonroxyII: 10:06pm On May 06, 2020
edrys:

I appreciate your prompt response. May I know if your career path is Academics? I am sending you a PM.
Nope , I'm freelancing presently ... getting equipped for the Bombing grin ....

Maybe Academic later , maybe not ... I'm eyeing the field though ... Maybe Career auditor !!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by highness25(m): 10:07pm On May 06, 2020
saponda249:
Good day Fellow Nairalanders,

During the Lockdown, I earned a total of N19,000 in the month on April.

Yes, It's not much but its something during this trying times of Covid 19 Pandemic.

I was offered 10% daily on my investment and a whooping 20% on referrals.

want to know more about ??

After you register, Join the Telegram for better info

Check my signature Below for Link
Oga, register all your family members and stop constituting nuisance here. Or you don't want them to make money?

2 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Deepocean(m): 10:09pm On May 06, 2020
DonroxyII:
Very Apt. This is the problem ... if you actually passed through the rigorosity of M.sc , You can never remain the same ....

I went back in as a Dunce Head but 3 months after I knew they have strucked something in me ... a resources I knew where there but don't even know how to find my way around it.

Every course outline per course was a term paper or empirical paper , you present it individually 15pages maximum .... we were just 11 in d class.

Imagine, That presentations alone has eliminated crowd phobia from my life as you would present your dissertation too facing Professors, PhDs and ITK fellow students grin ... Throwing Questions at you all angles ... You and your supervisor in hot seat pitying each other cheesy

I cursed my B.sc Supervisor for awarding me C grade but after my M.sc , I revisited my B.sc Project... I awarded myself E grade infact ... I was suppose to rewrite that nonsense because it was grade less.... No head no tail ... I just wrote newspapers.... I remember all the effort I put into my B.sc Project ... we were not properly guided.

Same school, Same Lecturers changed it for us during M.sc .... Probitas Doctrina cheesy

Cc: Edrys

Sorry for these questions.
Please which school?
What's the course?
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Polchiz(m): 10:37pm On May 06, 2020
chloride6:

Na you sabi..

It's not an IoC sha
International Oil Company is not for jokers.
Shell may likely employ only 6 people worldwide and you may likely be competing with foreign graduates some of them even have PhD at a young age of 25 years with brain-cracking skills and certifications.
I know a young man that completed a degree in Engineering at 19 years and obtained a Masters degree at 21 years, all in the UK. You will be competing with people like this in IOC.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by AlphaT1(m): 10:38pm On May 06, 2020
Honeydenz:

I don't understand what you guys mean by having '2' Masters degrees. Please can someone explain better....you go for 1 MSC program, come out and instead of upgrading to a PhD, u decide to go for another masters? I don't get it, please explain. Anyone is allowed to explain it, lol
Lolz. I have two masters and currently running a third. I was in the academia and had one in that line....left academia for occupational safety and got a sponsorship to do another MS in OSH.....now doing one in data science.....reason: I worked on a project 2geda with a dubious data analyst who almost messed up my career in safety auditing and safety systems implementation.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Polchiz(m): 10:41pm On May 06, 2020
AlphaT1:

Lolz. I have two masters and currently running a third. I was in the academia and had one in that line....left academia for occupational safety and got a sponsorship to do another MS in OSH.....now doing one in data science.....reason: I worked on a project 2geda with a dubious data analyst who almost messed up my career in safety auditing and safety systems implementation.
Data Science is the future. I wish I have the opportunity to go for one.

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Urchmanc(m): 10:49pm On May 06, 2020
Not in Nigeria
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Polchiz(m): 10:50pm On May 06, 2020
DonroxyII:
I hope when I finished up my ICAN, I can have a Multinational too .... I lost a Technical Assistant Job with a Program sponsored by DFID due to lack of MSC.... I was even part of the logistics for the recruitment .... Imagine , I wonder why not me ... Organising CVs and making photocopies this was during my NYSC days .... My fellow colleagues that graduated from Abroad already had their Masters ... They all nabbed the job ... some of us Naija grads were the photocopy dudes and serving tea for the recruitment exercise....

I dusted myself up and heed the call of my folks singing MSC song for me since I graduated ...

I even had to jettisoned UBA job for my own ... grin Bank and their wahala cheesy ... Many people think I dey craze but never again should one be hindered.
Such experience could be painful but thank God you didn't relent.
Opportunities will always come for sure.

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by TheManOfTheYear: 11:37pm On May 06, 2020
winj:
It is stupid that Nigerians still consider silly bachelor degrees like sociology and Mass COMM Or some masters programs as job earners.

Most Western countries with less degree holders are light years ahead of Nigeria in the job market because of their skills training.

How does one get it into the heads of stupid Nigerians that what they need are not necessarily degrees but skills training like...Electrician, specialized farming, Wind Turbine Technician, dietitian, Iron and Steelworker, Plumber, landscaping, Computer Programmer, or Security Analyst, Tool-and-Die Maker, Pharmacy Technician and many more!!!
Aptly put.
Too much sense will not kill you
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by chloride6: 11:40pm On May 06, 2020
Polchiz:

International Oil Company is not for jokers.
Shell may likely employ only 6 people worldwide and you may likely be competing with foreign graduates some of them even have PhD at a young age of 25 years with brain-cracking skills and certifications.
I know a young man that completed a degree in Engineering at 19 years and obtained a Masters degree at 21 years, all in the UK. You will be competing with people like this in IOC.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by ijaw1stson: 11:50pm On May 06, 2020
Frankicent:

Chai nawa... The thing is most undergraduate don't want to hear the truth.. So how you coping now?
yes o... Most undergraduates don't understand the true world out there.

Well, I'm not doing bad, just one or two side hustles. Thanks alot
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by bularuz(m): 12:10am On May 07, 2020
In Nigeria even a PhD will not guarantee you a job
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Polchiz(m): 12:12am On May 07, 2020
chloride6:

grin

So when did I get an Msc ?

My boss doesn't have an Msc, same as most of my team members.

People create false ideas about what goes on in HR in IoC not knowing that companies are looking for a basic intelligence and capacity to deliver which have no correlation to Msc.

Hell, my GM has no Msc

And yes i work in an IoC

When was your GM employed?
When were you employed and for which position?
We are talking about what is obtainable today.
You can be employed in Shell with SSCE but the question is which position?
I am referring to Shell Graduate Trainee recruitment. The basic requirement is B. SC 2:1. However, be rest assured that you will be competing with guys who have intimidating skill and qualifications.
If you can do better than them, congratulations.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Hausaboy239(m): 12:13am On May 07, 2020
DonroxyII:
Professional Masters doesn't qualify you for PhD only M.sc qualifies you for PhD ...

For instance if you plan to advance your academic career and you stuck on Your professional Master, (No job mantra) you won't be able to use it to progress further in academic pursuits...

That's the only technical reason I see .... any other reason is an Allusion caused by Nigerian Mindset of always working for somebody in somebody's business....

Do ur passion , once it's done you won't regret a damn thing.
Actually I don’t even have plans on advancing for Phd just want to add a bit of an advantage to my C.V, so i guess its okay if i stick with my plans.
Thanks very much for the advice
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by chloride6: 12:43am On May 07, 2020
Polchiz:

When was your GM employed?
When were you employed and for which position?
We are talking about what is obtainable today.
You can be employed in Shell with SSCE but the question is which position?
I am referring to Shell Graduate Trainee recruitment. The basic requirement is B. SC 2:1. However, be rest assured that you will be competing with guys who have intimidating skill and qualifications.
If you can do better than them, congratulations.

I was hired less than 6 months ago as a Graduate Engineer, so your argument isnt valid.

Recruiters dont care if you have an Msc, that kind of thinking is dead..

My friend too just got a job with world bank and he has 2.1 from Unilag..
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Cousin9999: 2:13am On May 07, 2020
I'm not aware of anything that guarantees a position other than daddy owning the company, or maybe some sort of criminal activities.

The important thing is you're acquiring more training and education. That alone is valuable.

However, I think you should try to pursue studies that have personal and professional value. Keyword: try. If you have that luxury, try to align studies with your interests, talents, and career. Otherwise, get a master's in engineering, a (internationally recognized) medical profession, or a (internationally recognized) legal profession.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Minxie(f): 2:23am On May 07, 2020
I think it's a good thing to get another degree, however, it doesn't guarantee a job. You need experience. And unfortunately you will only gain that experience when you start from the bottom. Intern or volunteer. I know the pay would suck but it's experience. Build your CV. I know Masters students who are working intern jobs. Work hard from the bottom and keep proving yourself in the workplace. Make sure you are an asset to whoever you work for. smiley Don't just rely on those degrees
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by ikeasogwa: 3:04am On May 07, 2020
None that I know of.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Liliantalks: 6:30am On May 07, 2020
Solatium:

It pays when you are already on a job.
it pays at the long run if you like the sound of Msc attached to your name.
it pays when you don't have to spend your savings to acquire one when the prospect of getting a job is not here.
But you will be highly disappointed if you think it will land you an automatic job slot,so many people with Masters.
the only degree I know that you have a job guarantee on is PhD
doing my PhD is compulsory

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Liliantalks: 6:34am On May 07, 2020
NaijadrivaCars:
Except you want to be a lecturer or have plans to emigrate abroad, use that millions you spend abroad in the name of acquiring a Masters Degree to start up a business.
I totally disagree , my friend did this and the business did not flourish, u all talk like anyone who starts a business will definitely excel in that area , and that’s not true ,, today he’s regretting and wishing he did he’s masters , he was to be sponsored by his parents but he said he wanted the money , then he was given 2m . Till today he got no business n yes cV hasn’t been upgraded

4 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Liliantalks: 6:41am On May 07, 2020
If u are an educationist , doing ur masters will give u a higher chance of getting a job , education is about knowledge, so hving an MSc will help out . MSc also upgrades ur CV, if u hv the money do it ! Regardless of job or not , u can gain that degree n that experience, which place on a higher level. Finances should be the only reason u shouldn’t get another degree . The degree is a plus to ur persona .
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Liliantalks: 6:45am On May 07, 2020
NigPatriot:
A master's degree is very significant. Especially in cases, where the student didn't do so well at the undergraduate level. A master's provides a boost. Big companies like Mobil, Nnpc etc don't normally send invites to 2.2 and below. But they concede if you have a 2.2 plus a master's (with distinction).
Also, in more recent times, BSc has become as popular as leaving school certificate, hence the need to step up your qualifications which will ultimately give you the edge. Don't listen to people saying, MSc is a waste of time. Trust me it's just one year sometimes 18months, but the certificate stays with you for life. Think about it. If you want to lecture, it's almost a must you have one too.
Without further ado, if you have the chance to up your qualifications, please do.
someone was arguing with me about having a masters as an engineer. I just laughed at their ignorance, engineering student do masters even more than educationists . If they didn’t see the relevance will they ?
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Liliantalks: 6:56am On May 07, 2020
Eddynut:
Note that I’m Nigeria, you’re only being promoted based on the qualification you applied with, if you like go and study post masters in heaven during the course of your job , you will still be considered based on your entry qualification
so u are unaware u can use ur masters to boost ur promotions and salary as a civil servant in Nigeria ?
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Liliantalks: 7:01am On May 07, 2020
Ilekokonit:
NOTHING guarantees an income ANYWHERE on earth.

Your qualification can not always feed you in Nigeria.

Even a visa does not guarantee that they will allow you to enter their country at their airport.

We have to think MORE of using our brains to earn a living meaning that we have to work smarter and not harder.

An option many people ignore is to start a small scale business or a few small scale businesses and see how it goes and forget what people around you may say.

If the global Covid19 pandemic has taught us anything, it is that FOOD SELLERS WILL NEVER RUN OUT OF BUSINESS AND INCOME.

If you know the number of people in Nigeria that can open a mama put with just N50,000 you will marvel.

The simplest guaranteed business one can start that trumps any INSECURE job as an employee with minimal funds is a restaurant / Mama Put or just a pepper soup joint and if it means relocating to a cheaper state in Nigeria to open it then do so and if it means moving away / distancing yourself from close friends / family that may laugh at you then do so after all, in Genesis 12 God told abraham to move away from his family, his kindred, and from his father's house and in return he will bless him.

The biggest deliverance we need as Nigerians is not from demons but from other peoples opinions yet when you are dying of hunger these same people who hold you back from opening a "supposedly" lowly business choice will turn around and mock you even if you don't beg them for money.

Apart from those in the medical field anf food business, there is no job security any where in the world anymore and this is a price all employees have to pay.

If you insist onmore intellectual pursuits, what you can do to mitigate job insecurity is to find a skill that is in high demand (i'e where there is a shortage of people with that skill) and aim to MASTER that skill and pass the certification exams and then start applying for jobs.

Any intellectual skill where there are no barriers to entry becomes over subscribed sooner or later.

A Masters degree "may" be a waste of time and money when you can use a fraction of that money to do and MASTER an "in demand" IT certification course and once you pass the certification exams you are halfway to securing a good paying IT job.

There is too much theory in Masters degrees but if you knuckle down you can prepare and pass a "practical" hands on IT certification course in 3 months or less and start applying for jobs there after.

But you will have to put in a LOT of hours (maybe 14 hours flat per day) studying and practicalizing in those 3 months if you want to pass the certification exams which averagely have a pass mark of 70%.

Some "in demand" IT skills you can do your research on include C#, Java, C++, Big Data, Oracle Dba, Microsoft SQL Server, Hadoop, Mungo DB, Internet Security, Etc, Etc, Etc but search job boards online and pick a skill set you are comfortable with and then look into each one and see which of them will be a natural fit for you and that will use some of the transferable skills you already have.

BUT because the IT field is so wide and is still growing daily and will continue to do so till eternity you can never go wrong if you proceed to master an "IN DEMAND" IT skill and pass its certification exams.

All the best.
people keep talking business like everybody can do business, there r some workers earning way more than business owners ... this open business talk has recked so many people!!!

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Liliantalks: 7:05am On May 07, 2020
Ibechris2:

My brother,there was a guy who I worked with some years back in a mortgage company in Nigeria. The guy had a degree and a master from Birmingham's university in England, I came with our local degree and yet my salary was bigger and this guy earned just 70k as monthly salary.

One day,I called and asked him why he used huge sum of money to travel abroad only to secure a 70k job,he said,only if he had known the trend in the country he wouldn't have tried it. After I left them and moved to another job,I heard he had started a business.

Nigeria is frustrating,the merit system has been bastardised and no one can be so certain of getting a job these days and I wonder what our children will go through if we dont correct certain things in this country.

if u want to do ur masters out Nigeria , that should be because u wish to base there ,, if not , do ur masters in Nigeria , if u hv too much money go to a private university to reduce stress . There is no need traveling to get a masters degree and returning to Nigeria .

4 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Liliantalks: 7:08am On May 07, 2020
iamclime:
A Bachelor's, a Master's, and even a Doctorate does not guarantee ANYTHING, not only in Nigeria, but anywhere in the world. It can only enhance your chances in some cases. It all depends on what you want. I was running a Master's programme in 2010 but left for more important things. Then, in 2018, I completed my Master's programme after starting all over again. Professors have been on my neck telling me to enroll for my PhD, due to my performance on the programme and my passion for research and teaching. That I am yet to consider.
One thing you should know, though, is that when the time comes to get that job, that promotion, that appointment, and you need a Master's or higher degree and you don't have it, boom! The opportunity is gone and given to the one who has. Talking from experience. Do what you can, while you can.
well said
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by GentleNaaz(m): 7:08am On May 07, 2020
FreshBoss007:
Nope

You are better off having a B.Sc in a professional course than a PhD in a useless course like botany

Atleast with a professional course you can still practice what you learnt prior to a dream job

Hello dear. You are totally wrong in your baseless claim. Every degree course is a professional course. No course is useless. All serve different areas of professionalism. You need to get your intellect articulated.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

YABATECH Recalls Student From NYSC Camp / Three ‘Missing’ Female-Undergraduates Found In Dubai / Trouble Looms In OAU As Men In Uniform Get Ready To Zoom Into Action !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.