Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,326 members, 7,808,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? (42067 Views)

Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad / Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? / Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by emmanuelbrown26: 11:08am On May 06, 2020
The mod wey ban my main account na coro 19 go visit u

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by FuckDaMods: 11:09am On May 06, 2020
I have 2 master's degree but i didn't get good job offers after many trials.. I'm self employed now and it's paying more than what any silly job can offer.

5 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by kunlesmiles(m): 11:10am On May 06, 2020
ijaw1stson:
I'm still on it. I'm seriously searching for a job at the moment
2 Masters degree... I hail oooo, d Nigerian situation is really a pathetic one, am also presently running my PhD without a Job.

3 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Onyemaya: 11:10am On May 06, 2020
90% sure

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Ubdavis(m): 11:11am On May 06, 2020
U ask question u already know the answer... Are u not I this country?
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by JPUC: 11:11am On May 06, 2020
Are you sure
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by fergie001: 11:11am On May 06, 2020
robosky02:
First degree never give

You want masters abi you won overthrow the MD before you even get the job
Hahahahaha......I lost one job like that! grin

My friend didn't inform me to strike off my MSc at the time.....ITK, I run go put am.....Mine was the first to be struck off, and I was in pole position for it.

These days I put BE, I don't even add grade sef unless otherwise stated.

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Anadan231: 11:13am On May 06, 2020
The Nigerian situation has crippled everyone’s morale. Running a PhD without a job can be very frustrating though. Nevertheless, one gotta keep pushing.

8 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by kp3tech(m): 11:13am On May 06, 2020
If you are unemployed, it's mostly counter productive to tender a MSc degree in most jobs without equivalent job experience.

Most companies prefer Graduate trainees or an MSc or MBA holder with multiple years working experience.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Brosbeforehoes: 11:14am On May 06, 2020
Buhari get master degree??

5 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by GodPunishBiafra: 11:14am On May 06, 2020
Ayebaeapretai:
Well i have two masters and these days i dont understand why i went for them.
Everybody for Nigeria get two masters grin
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by roladex(f): 11:15am On May 06, 2020
Goke101:
Yes but In Nigeria you will have to wait for almost three years to see a job
jesus
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Nobody: 11:15am On May 06, 2020
Calabar1stSon:
Common sense you no get, how could have two masters degree, I mean not just one but two

First master degree no give you work, then you proceed to another master degree and no work still, you come proceed go do your PhD still no work? Why did you not use the money for business? Guy go and burn those degrees.

Well, the money for the degrees weren't yours actually that's the reason for this recklessness

You have zero ounce of sense. Why didn’t you just focus on the subject? Must you come here to exhibit how poorly you were brought up? Nonsense.
Why do you have to insult him? You’re a bitter person. And I believe jobless too.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by robosky02(m): 11:15am On May 06, 2020
fergie001:

Hahahahaha......I lost one job like that! grin

My friend didn't inform me to strike off my MSc at the time.....ITK, I run go put am.....Mine was the first to be struck off, and I was in pole position for it.

These days I put BE, I don't even add grade sef unless otherwise stated.

Good now you know
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Solatium(m): 11:16am On May 06, 2020
Chuky7:
Since growing up I have always been accustomed to the idea of double up my degree.
Not like it's a bad thing but what purpose does it serve to run a Masters or PhD program in the long run.

My Dad is always telling me to do one program here and there. It gets tiring honestly as I don't consider myself an academic per se and I would only put in effort when I see something is absolutely necessary.

A cousin of mine once went to the UK for her masters, previously working at a brewery. She told me that going for this program would guarantee her an upgrade in department level

Has anyone here gotten any similar experiences, share your story or those you know of. Were you ever selected for a job based on that or a promotion?

It pays when you are already on a job.
it pays at the long run if you like the sound of Msc attached to your name.
it pays when you don't have to spend your savings to acquire one when the prospect of getting a job is not here.
But you will be highly disappointed if you think it will land you an automatic job slot,so many people with Masters.
the only degree I know that you have a job guarantee on is PhD

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by roladex(f): 11:16am On May 06, 2020
ijaw1stson:
It doesn't. At least in Nigeria. I have 2 masters degrees. However, I proceeded to do my PhD as I couldn't get a job.
jesus

2 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by edoairways: 11:17am On May 06, 2020
NigPatriot:
A master's degree is very significant. Especially in cases, where the student didn't do so well at the undergraduate level. A master's provides a boost. Big companies like Mobil, Nnpc etc don't normally send invites to 2.2 and below. But they concede if you have a 2.2 plus a master's (with distinction).
Also, in more recent times, BSc has become as popular as leaving school certificate, hence the need to step up your qualifications which will ultimately give you the edge. Don't listen to people saying, MSc is a waste of time. Trust me it's just one year sometimes 18months, but the certificate stays with you for life. Think about it. If you want to lecture, it's almost a must you have one too.
Without further ado, if you have the chance to up your qualifications, please do.
Absolutely

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Calabar1stSon: 11:18am On May 06, 2020
mikezuruki:

You have zero ounce of sense. Why didn’t you just focus on the subject? Must you come here to exhibit how poorly you were brought up? Nonsense.
Why do you have to insult him? You’re a bitter person. And I believe jobless too.
Too much foolishness written all over this writeup!

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by CrazyMan(m): 11:18am On May 06, 2020
ijaw1stson:
I'm still on it. I'm seriously searching for a job at the moment
Stop searching...as a PhD holder you're automatically more qualified than most CEOs HRM, MD... etc. So in reality no employer would hire someone whose more qualified than him.

I'll suggest you try lecturing job, your double Msc along with a PhD in view should boost your chances.

Good luck.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Jokerman(m): 11:19am On May 06, 2020
Lol... It doesn't... Except it give more knowledge.

Someone now told me to go for PhD... I just dey laff... If you know what it is to have Msc Mechanical Engineering, and still no job... Thank for simulation and design softwares helping man out grin

9 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Nobody: 11:19am On May 06, 2020
Enables you to flee to canada
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Apostolate(m): 11:20am On May 06, 2020
I think here in Nigeria its the higher the qualification the higher opportunity
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by NaijadrivaCars: 11:22am On May 06, 2020
Let me ask Tunde that spent millions to get his from the UK. He is unemployed since 3yrs.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by skedman(m): 11:24am On May 06, 2020
My friend was working in one of the Apex bank in Nigeria however he applied for a study leave to go and study for his master programme abroad .he was given but when he came back the job was no longer available for him
He as been searching for job and won't mind taking an offer of employment that pays 40,000 - 60,000
This is Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by NaijadrivaCars: 11:25am On May 06, 2020
Except you want to be a lecturer or have plans to emigrate abroad, use that millions you spend abroad in the name of acquiring a Masters Degree to start up a business.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by fergie001: 11:26am On May 06, 2020
robosky02:

Good now you know
Yap.....lesson learnt.

That was 2years ago sha/
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by arherfish(m): 11:29am On May 06, 2020
Chuky7:
Since growing up I have always been accustomed to the idea of double up my degree.
Not like it's a bad thing but what purpose does it serve to run a Masters or PhD program in the long run.

My Dad is always telling me to do one program here and there. It gets tiring honestly as I don't consider myself an academic per se and I would only put in effort when I see something is absolutely necessary.
Going to school is important but doesn't guarantee you getting a job

A cousin of mine once went to the UK for her masters, previously working at a brewery. She told me that going for this program would guarantee her an upgrade in department level

Has anyone here gotten any similar experiences, share your story or those you know of. Were you ever selected for a job based on that or a promotion?
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Nazgul: 11:29am On May 06, 2020
CrazyMan:

Stop searching...as a PhD holder you're automatically more qualified than most CEOs HRM, MD... etc. So in reality no employer would hire someone whose more qualified than him.

I'll suggest you try lecturing job, your double Msc along with a PhD in view should boost your chances.

Good luck.
well said
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by pelumzy007(m): 11:29am On May 06, 2020
Calabar1stSon:
Common sense you no get, how could have two masters degree, I mean not just one but two

First master degree no give you work, then you proceed to another master degree and no work still, you come proceed go do your PhD still no work? Why did you not use the money for business? Guy go and burn those degrees.

Well, the money for the degrees weren't yours actually that's the reason for this recklessness
Bros are you God.... years from now contact him and you would hear a different story and you would understand why it is good to always make hay while sun is still shining

4 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Walkingkilo(m): 11:29am On May 06, 2020
skedman:
My friend was working in one of the Apex bank in Nigeria however he applied for a study leave to go and study for his master programme abroad .he was given but when he came back the job was no longer available for him
He as been searching for job and won't mind taking an offer of employment that pays 40,000 - 60,000
This is Nigeria

So he expected the bank to keep his position vacant for 2 years till he return?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

YABATECH Recalls Student From NYSC Camp / Three ‘Missing’ Female-Undergraduates Found In Dubai / Trouble Looms In OAU As Men In Uniform Get Ready To Zoom Into Action !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.