Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,924 members, 7,802,999 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) (83934 Views)

The Grasscutter And Bush Rat We Caught During Hunting / The Big Fish We Caught During Our Lockdown Expedition. / Hugely Successful Hunting Expedition At Olori Near Oyo Town And Odo Ogun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by 2016v2017: 2:08pm On May 05, 2020
dataking:
Africa is just too blessed but full of useless leaders
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by amiskurie(m): 2:39pm On May 05, 2020
coins501:

Wild Buffalo apparently!!
You need to travel and read more... and please stop commenting on issues you know next to nothing about. Its annoying reading comments like yours.
As you have seen hundreds of thousand of the said endangered animals in the Nigeria's wildlife parks, why don't you provide videos you made yourself, since it's not shown by NAT GEO WILD.

Don't you have camera phone at least?
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by Moukman: 6:27pm On May 05, 2020
First of All big game hunting is a legal recreational activity. Some people don't like hunting, that is a matter of choice but that doesn't make it illegal.

This is the African forest buffalo one of the four species of African Buffalo. It is not as large as the Cape Buffalo which is what you see on Nat Geo wild (what most people think of when referring to the African Buffalo) but it is twice as dangerous and can kill you very very easily.

The African forest buffalo range is from Senegal to Cameroun and parts of the Congo. It is present in South west, south south, north central and south eastern Nigeria. It is not in any way endangered. It's conservation status is LC or least concern.

A least concern species is a specie that has been categorized by IUCN the international union for the conservation of nature, as not being the focus of species conservation. They do not qualify as threatened, near threatened or conservation dependent. Google African forest buffalo.

This Buffalo was shot in January of 2019 and not on the 4th of May 2020.
It was shot in a free range forest abutting into a large industrial farm. Buffalo there are numerous and constitute a nuisance, destroying crops of plantain and cocoa and threatening lives of farm workers and residents of surrounding communities and killing at least one person last year.
This was a sort of problem animal control.

The hunters are members of Safari Hunters Association of Nigeria (SAHAN) the pre eminent hunting club in Nigeria. It is made up of professionals that cuts across all strata of Nigerian society. Engineers, architects, pilots, lawyers, very top ranking military and police officers doctors etc.

SAHAN promotes sustainable hunting and wildlife conservation, and is also involved in hunter education in local communities.

SAHAN was the first to raise awareness when a large herd of elephants left the Omo forest reserve crossing the Sagamu/ Ore /Benin Expressway to several communities near Epe. SAHAN worked with the Nigerian Conservation Foundation NCF and the Ogun State Government in sensitizing the public not to harm the elephants.

Its website is www.safarihunters.com.ng

2 Likes

Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by Moukman: 6:40pm On May 05, 2020
Moukman:
First of All big game hunting is a legal recreational activity. Some people don't like hunting, that is a matter of choice but that doesn't make it illegal.

This is the African forest buffalo one of the four species of African Buffalo. It is not as large as the Cape Buffalo which is what you see on Nat Geo wild (what most people think of when referring to the African Buffalo) but it is twice as dangerous and can kill you very very easily.

The African forest buffalo range is from Senegal to Cameroun and parts of the Congo. It is present in South west, south south, north central and south eastern Nigeria. It is not in any way endangered. It's conservation status is LC or least concern.

A least concern species is a specie that has been categorized by IUCN the international union for the conservation of nature, as not being the focus of species conservation. They do not qualify as threatened, near threatened or conservation dependent. Google African forest buffalo.

It was shot in a free range forest abutting into a large industrial farm. Buffalo there are numerous and constitute a nuisance, destroying crops of plantain and cocoa and threatening lives of farm workers and residents of surrounding communities and killing at least one person last year.

The hunters are members of Safari Hunters Association of Nigeria (SAHAN) the pre eminent hunting club in Nigeria. It is made up of professionals that cuts across all strata of Nigerian society. Engineers, architects, pilots, lawyers, very top ranking military and police officers doctors etc.

SAHAN promotes sustainable hunting and wildlife conservation, and is also involved in hunter education in local communities.

SAHAN was the first to raise awareness when a large herd of elephants left the Omo forest reserve crossing the Sagamu/ Ore /Benin Expressway to several communities near Epe. SAHAN worked with the Nigerian Conservation Foundation NCF and the Ogun State Government in sensitizing the public not to harm the elephants.

Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by Kingsteve(m): 7:59pm On May 05, 2020
Moukman:

All those forming animal rights activists...una don hear the real tory, abi?
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by kcbaba007: 8:28pm On May 05, 2020
Op, you or the hunter ought to have seen that the animal is pregnant before killing it, i'm not against hunting, but, we need to consider things like this before killing these animals, that animal is a she and is heavily pregnant, this ia very cruel of you, even God will not be happy with you for killing that animal and it's unborn children.

It is also very wrong to kill baby and unmatured animals, this also is very cruel.....

Pls, let's be guided. Thanks
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by sacajawea: 9:07pm On May 05, 2020
Masonkaycares:
Your picture? Sorry m taking it down. Reason I posted it is cos I wanted to search it. One stupid wanted to play games with me
No it's not my picture. I was wondering what posting of that picture has to do with the Topic
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by Moukman: 9:30pm On May 05, 2020
kcbaba007:
Op, you or the hunter ought to have seen that the animal is pregnant before killing it, i'm not against hunting, but, we need to consider things like this before killing these animals, that animal is a she and is heavily pregnant, this ia very cruel of you, even God will not be happy with you for killing that animal and it's unborn children.

It is also very wrong to kill baby and unmatured animals, this also is very cruel.....

Pls, let's be guided. Thanks
I'm surprised at your apparent knowledge or lack off" thereof. The African forest buffalo is very robust, fatter than a regular cow, lyin on its side, it presents exactly that profile. That animal was not pregnant and besides you cannot be looking to check for pregnancy when you are facing death. It is apparent that you do not know anything about the bush. I doubt you have ever stepped 2 kilometers off a major expressway. You will not survive for 6 hours if you're stranded in the bush. So don't say what you know nothing about.

1 Like

Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by saintneo(m): 9:36pm On May 05, 2020
ProjectNaija:
This Forrest buffalo was felled earlier today on a hunting expedition grin and it's not an endangered species in case some hypocrites who "don't eat" meat want to make noise about killing a so called endangered animal again here. angry angry angry
What's your location bros?
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by dragunov: 11:36pm On May 05, 2020
luminouz:

Water cow?

Seriously undecided

Yeah. Maalu odo.
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by Moukman: 3:44am On May 06, 2020
dragunov:

Yeah. Maalu odo.
Oga mi, there's nothing like water cow, go to Australia if you want to see a water buffalo; and it doesn't live in water either.
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by Moukman: 12:37pm On May 06, 2020
saintneo:

What's your location bros?
Lagos
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by dragunov: 1:09pm On May 06, 2020
Moukman:
Oga mi, there's nothing like water cow, go to Australia if you want to see a water buffalo; and it doesn't live in water either.

Oga moukmanu, what those guys killed is not a buffalo. Period.
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by ProjectNaija(m): 1:16pm On May 06, 2020
dragunov:

The sensible thing to do would have been to do your research before coming here to argue.

Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by dragunov: 1:24pm On May 06, 2020
ProjectNaija:

The sensible thing to do would have been to do your research before coming here to argue.

Will your research put food on your table? Ehn, Oga sensible?
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by saintneo(m): 3:05pm On May 06, 2020
Moukman:
Lagos

No be you kill Buffalo na! No come spoil my groove. I want chop Buffalo. �
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by Moukman: 5:38pm On May 06, 2020
Chukazu:
Nigerians spend foreign exchange to go to Kenya to admire wildlife but we can't even preset our own wildlife
Educate yourself, properly. There is practically no wildlife left in Kenya. That is the Kenya people knew before 1977 when legal regulated safari hunting was banned. After that they poached nearly all the wildlife in Kenya
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by Moukman: 5:40pm On May 06, 2020
dragunov:

it's a buffalo
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by Moukman: 5:50pm On May 06, 2020
dragunov:

Will your research put food on your table? Ehn, Oga sensible?
If you had done your research like Projectnaija suggested, you will know that the animal is an African forest buffalo and you will not be yarning opata
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by Moukman: 6:38pm On May 06, 2020
I have just been laughing here, at the various comments I've been reading. Let me try to condense some of the comments and address them.

Someone says the Buffalo is endangered otherwise we would see herds of them. I wonder if he has ever visited any wilderness area or national parks in Nigeria for him to form that opinion. Go to Kamuku wildlife reserve Kaduna state you will see herds of Buffalo ; or does he expect to see them strolling along Ikorodu road before he will believe there lots of Buffalo in Nigeria.

Go to Okhomu national park Edo state you talk to park officials they will tell you buffalo there are several hundreds.

My advice; talk from experience or educate yourself properly on a subject before you comment otherwise someone will make you look like a fool.

On wildlife in other African countries ; everyone seems to think Kenya is a wildlife paradise. That was before 1977. it is no longer the case today. In 1977 in a misguided attempt to stop poaching Kenya banned all comsumptive use of wildlife which is regulated sport/safari hunting. In less than 20 years they lost 90% of all large mammals.

Why? Because safari hunting gave wildlife an economic value, in banning hunting, wildlife stopped being a resource and lost its value. It became a pest competing for space with man. With no economic value, it virtually disappeared overnight. Poached nearly to extinction because there was no insentive to protect it.

Tanzania allows regulated hunting, it has the largest Lion population in Africa and the 2nd largest elephant population. Over 130,000 elephants.
Botswana allows regulated hunting of elephant and the other members of the big five - lion leopard Buffalo rhino. It has over 160,000 elephants the largest in Africa.

So if you want to think African wildlife, think Tanzania South Africa Botswana Namibia Zimbabwe Zambia Mozambique not Kenya.

Animal rights activists are a dishonest bunch of people. They may genuinely care about animals but they go about it with one thought in mind. To make money from donors, in so doing, they make biased studies, falsify results obtained in the field when it does not suit them. They deny that hunting has any conservation benefits in spite of studies to the contrary. They present hunters as mindless cruel killers and nothing can be further from the truth. Don't swallow their rhetoric hook line and sinker. Do your own research and form your own opinion.

The first people to think in terms of wildlife conservation were hunters. Hunters created the first wildlife hunting regulations in Africa; in Kenya Uganda and the Sudan. They were the first to petition governments to set aside public land for conservation. People don't know and appreciate what hunters and hunting has done and is doing for conservation. They only hear the loudest voice. The voice of the animal rights activists. Yet that is only one side of the coin.
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by ProjectNaija(m): 8:03pm On May 06, 2020
Moukman:
I have just been laughing here, at the various comments I've been reading. Let me try to condense some of the comments and address them.

Someone says the Buffalo is endangered otherwise we would see herds of them. I wonder if he has ever visited any wilderness area or national parks in Nigeria for him to form that opinion. Go to Kamuku wildlife reserve Kaduna state you will see herds of Buffalo ; or does he expect to see them strolling along Ikorodu road before he will believe there lots of Buffalo in Nigeria.

Go to Okhomu national park Edo state you talk to park officials they will tell you buffalo there are several hundreds.

My advice; talk from experience or educate yourself properly on a subject before you comment otherwise someone will make you look like a fool.

On wildlife in other African countries ; everyone seems to think Kenya is a wildlife paradise. That was before 1977. it is no longer the case today. In 1977 in a misguided attempt to stop poaching Kenya banned all comsumptive use of wildlife which is regulated sport/safari hunting. In less than 20 years they lost 90% of all large mammals.

Why? Because safari hunting gave wildlife an economic value, in banning hunting, wildlife stopped being a resource and lost its value. It became a pest competing for space with man. With no economic value, it virtually disappeared overnight. Poached nearly to extinction because there was no insentive to protect it.

Tanzania allows regulated hunting, it has the largest Lion population in Africa and the 2nd largest elephant population. Over 130,000 elephants.
Botswana allows regulated hunting of elephant and the other members of the big five - lion leopard Buffalo rhino. It has over 160,000 elephants the largest in Africa.

So if you want to think African wildlife, think Tanzania South Africa Botswana Namibia Zimbabwe Zambia Mozambique not Kenya.

Animal rights activists are a dishonest bunch of people. They may genuinely care about animals but they go about it with one thought in mind. To make money from donors, in so doing, they make biased studies, falsify results obtained in the field when it does not suit them. They deny that hunting has any conservation benefits in spite of studies to the contrary. They present hunters as mindless cruel killers and nothing can be further from the truth. Don't swallow their rhetoric hook line and sinker. Do your own research and form your own opinion.

The first people to think in terms of wildlife conservation were hunters. Hunters created the first wildlife hunting regulations in Africa; in Kenya Uganda and the Sudan. They were the first to petition governments to set aside public land for conservation. People don't know and appreciate what hunters and hunting has done and is doing for conservation. They only hear the loudest voice. The voice of the animal rights activists. Yet that is only one side of the coin.

I agree with all your points except your position on Kenyan wildlife. My brother still went on a wildlife expedition in Kenya a couple of years ago and he came back with several pictures of wildlife animals he personally took on the expedition.
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by dragunov: 11:44pm On May 06, 2020
Moukman:
If you had done your research like Projectnaija suggested, you will know that the animal is an African forest buffalo and you will not be yarning opata

I say that research go put food for una table?
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by Moukman: 4:17am On May 07, 2020
ProjectNaija:

I agree with all your points except your position on Kenyan wildlife. My brother still went on a wildlife expedition in Kenya a couple of years ago and he came back with several pictures of wildlife animals he personally took on the expedition.
Your brother went game viewing, he didn't go hunting, you can't hunt in Kenya and Kenyan wildlife is no longer the top draw in Africa. It's Kruger national park South Africa or Seringeti national park Tanzania
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by BillionaireTalk: 4:56am On May 07, 2020
Omo, see meat
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by Abbeyme: 1:16pm On May 07, 2020
Great catch
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by kemmylove101: 10:26pm On May 09, 2020
ProjectNaija:

Where did this expedition took place. it look like old oyo national park
.Am i right
Re: African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) by Chukazu: 5:00pm On May 12, 2020
Moukman:
Educate yourself, properly. There is practically no wildlife left in Kenya. That is the Kenya people knew before 1977 when legal regulated safari hunting was banned. After that they poached nearly all the wildlife in Kenya
If I mentioned south Africa would you say same thing? Understand the context of statement before trying to argue

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

An Affordable Meal Services With Free Delivery To All Nairaland Menbers / Akara I Bought For N250 At Ikoyi. / See What Was Killed In My Compound Yesterday Evening!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.