Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,028 members, 7,799,510 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k (1724 Views)

Anambra Woman Forced To Walk Over Daughter's Corpse To Prove Her Innocence (Pix) / Benin-ife Relationship Explored / Who Can Prove Benin-ife Myth On Oduduwa With Archeological Fact (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 9:17pm On May 04, 2020
We are still on the benin-ife connection if truly it did happened and am here to find the truth..... If it requires giving out my small money

We just want go seperate the truth from the myth thats all. like me, I believe the ife-benin stuff was just a political stunt, played in the then western region by the various western kings, some people on nairaland think otherwise and have even attacked me for insulting the oba of benin of playing such politics.....

Looking at the royal culture of the benin and ife people they look completely different although they are some similarities shared between benin and yorubas and not necessarily ife persay

So i want to give everyone a doubt i was wrong
Am offering 10, 000 naira for any archeological evidence possible to draw the conclusion benin and ife existed......

Any achaeological evidence presented must not give room for any doubt and even if doubt is to be given it must be given reasonable convincing explanation

We will be needing free minded judges reevaluating answers given
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by samuk: 9:26pm On May 04, 2020
Gregyboy, do you want to give the Yoruba people around here headaches? The people are still scratching their heads around the $1000 dollars challenge, you came up with another assignment.

1 Like

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by TAO11(f): 9:38pm On May 04, 2020
samuk:
Gregyboy, do you want to give the Yoruba people around here headaches? The people are still scratching their heads around the $1000 dollars challenge, you came up with another assignment.

I didn't expect you to openly admit in your own words to being humiliated by your own inane challenge.

The conversation is however there as the internet doesn't forget. It's summary went as follows:

You
I need a writing not later than 1897 showing the names "Oduduwa, "Ife", "Oranmiyan", etc.

Me:
S. Johnson's work was completed in writing by 1897, and it's littered with these names.

You
Eeeerm ... (#scratches head#) ... It wasn't typed and printed until afterwards.

Me:
I won't say a word.   cheesy

Having been humiliated by your own challenge, here is a challenge for you for 2500 whopping dollars.

Provide me a book written between 1475 and 1930 with the mention of the name "Ekalderhan". I will send you $2500 to cushion the effect of the lockdown if you can.

And if you can't, then know that such person does not exist and your ancestors have been deceived

Having said that, João de Barros, Duarte Pacheco Percira, Manuel de Figueirdo, Dierick Ruiters, and Alonso de Sandoval all wrote in the early1500s and the 1600s about the King whom the Binis regard as Oghene who was an overlord to your Benin kings.

Scholars of Benin history, examining those early European writings, conlude unanimously that this Oghene is none other that the Ooni of Ife:

The following are scholars who examined those European writing, and have reached that same conlusion:

Stoll (1902), Roth (1903), Marquart (1913), Talbot (1926), Schurhammer (1928), P. Marti (1960), Mauny (1961), R. Bradbury (1964), I. Akinjogbin (1967), R. Law (1973), F. Willett (1973), A. Obayemi (1976), R. Horton (1979), R. Thompson, H. Drewal, S. Blier, S. Akintoye, et al.

But according to samuk, all these experts of African history are all LyInG. grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by samuk: 9:44pm On May 04, 2020
TAO11:

I didn't expect you to openly admit in your own words to being humiliated by your own inane challenge.

The conversation is however there as the internet doesn't forget. It's summary went as follows:

You
I need a writing not later than 1897 showing the names "Oduduwa, "Ife", "Oranmiyan", etc.

Me:
S. Johnson's work was completed in writing by 1897, and it's littered with these names.

You
Eeeerm ... (#scratches head#) ... It wasn't typed and printed until afterwards.

Me:
I won't say a word.   cheesy

Having been humiliated by your own challenge, here is a challenge for you for 2500 whopping dollars.

Provide me a book written between 1475 and 1930 with the mention of the name "Ekalderhan". I will send you $2500 to cushion the effect of the lockdown if you can.

And if you can't, then know that such person does not exist and your ancestors have been deceived

Having said that, João de Barros, Duarte Pacheco Percira, Manuel de Figueirdo, Dierick Ruiters, and Alonso de Sandoval all wrote in the early1500s and the 1600s about the Ogane who was an overlord to your Benin kings.

Scholars of Benin history, examining those early European writings, conlude unanimously that the Ogane is none other that the Ooni of Ife:

The following are scholars who examined those European writing, and have reached that same conlusion:

Stoll (1902), Roth (1903), Marquart (1913), Talbot (1926), Schurhammer (1928), P. Marti (1960), Mauny (1961), R. Bradbury (1964), I. Akinjogbin (1967), R. Law (1973), F. Willett (1973), A. Obayemi (1976), R. Horton (1979), R. Thompson, H. Drewal, S. Blier, S. Akintoye, et al.

But according to samuk, all these experts of African history are all LyInG. grin

You tried your best but all your references are after 1897, so you failed yet again on this attempt. You can try again.

The Yoruba told us that the Benin people had a fantastic relationship with Ife since 1180AD.

When the European started visiting Benin from 1475 up till 1897, the Benin completely forgot to tell the various Europeans that documented Benin history about Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan. Some of these Europeans were resident in Benin for years. They never saw or hear anything about Benin/Ife relationship. They never saw any message from Benin to Ife or from Ife to Benin.

The Benin remembered to tell the Europeans about everyone else except Ife. Various rulers and people were spoken about and recorded but Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan are missing from the Benin history books and European archives of Benin history between 1475 to 1897.

In 1897, after the fall of the Benin empire, the Benin suddenly woke up and realised that there was one small and very important detail about their history they haven't told anyone for 400 years. That is the Benin/Ife relationship.

Why did Benin forget this very important father and son relationship between Benin and Ife for over 400 years. Was it because there was no relationship in the first place or the Benin were just too busy decimating, conquering, colonising and killing every rebellious rulers around them and in far away lands.

I am throwing an open challenge to anyone here to provide any mention of Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan in Benin written history between 1475 to 1897, a 400 years period. I will send that person $1000, yes one thousand dollars to cushion the effects of these lockdown.

1 Like

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by TAO11(f): 9:53pm On May 04, 2020
samuk:

You tried your best but all your references are after 1897, so you failed yet again on this attempt. You can try again.

The Yoruba told us that the Benin people had a fantastic relationship with Ife since 1180AD.

When the European started visiting Benin from 1475 up till 1897, the Benin completely forgot to tell the various Europeans that documented Benin history about Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan. Some of these Europeans were resident in Benin for years. They never saw or hear anything about Benin/Ife relationship. They never saw any message from Benin to Ife or from Ife to Benin.

The Benin remembered to tell the Europeans about everyone else except Ife. Various rulers and people were spoken about and recorded but Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan are missing from the Benin history books and European archives of Benin history between 1475 to 1897.

In 1897, after the fall of the Benin empire, the Benin suddenly woke up and realised that there was one small and very important detail about their history they haven't told anyone for 400 years. That is the Benin/Ife relationship.

Why did Benin forget this very important father and son relationship between Benin and Ife for over 400 years. Was it because there was no relationship in the first place or the Benin were just too busy decimating, conquering, colonising and killing every rebellious rulers around them and in far away lands.

I am throwing an open challenge to anyone here to provide any mention of Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan in Benin written history between 1475 to 1897, a 400 years period. I will send that person $1000, yes one thousand dollars to cushion the effects of these lockdown.

Of course, 1500s and 1600s European writings (as well Johnson's work completed in 1897) are all aFtEr 1897. grin grin grin grin grin

Challenge For You for a whooping $2500:

And if you can't, then know that such person does not exist and your ancestors have been deceived.

2 Likes

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by MightySparrow: 9:58pm On May 04, 2020
Either is distorting history or not honest. Each of these kingdoms affected themselves at their peaks. I was doing a research this week on this matter how these kingdoms affected each other culturally. I discovered that Benin worship three principal Yoruba gods: Ogun, Ifa, Olokun. and the name Oba for benin name for their monarch is not seemingly Benin word.
yet Lagos in Yorubaland has such name for their king. There seem to be no time yoruba invaded Benin kingdom but not same for yoruba as Lagos may not have similarities within Benin without a sort of conquest. Ikere in Ekiti has Ogoga as the titular name for their king following a raid of a benin man on the town.
Also, when Oranmiyan was going to revenge misson for the mistreatment of his grandfather, he didn't face benin but moved towards the north. The history of yoruba shows that Gogobiri and Kukawa followed Oduduwa. Their is no evidence Benin has any blood relationship with these tribes. The study is in progres

2 Likes

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by TAO11(f): 3:44am On May 05, 2020
Under the sub-heading "Yoruba Raids and the Nupe Invasions", Dr. R.E. Bradbury writes as follows:

"The whole of the North-West Edo area came under Nupe during the latter half of the 19th century. The Nupe invasions are said to be preceeded by incursions from Ibadan under a leader named Aje ... The Ibadan raids seem mainly to have been confined to the North-West corner of the region, but the Ososo people say their ancestors were driven away and their houses burnt by Yoruba before the Nupe came. Osi, Ebune, Ugbosi, Ibillo, Ekor, Ekpessa, Lankpese, Ibiekuma, and Ekpe are among the communities who were scattered or had their settlement sacked by the Yoruba."

Reference:
R. E. Bradbury, Benin Kingdom and the Edo-speaking people of South-Western Nigeria, (1957), p.112.

Territories of Benin Kingdom; under the government of the Oba of Benin Kingdom, protected by the military of Benin Kingdom; was sacked and raided for slaves by a Yoruba subgroup --- one of the youngest Yoruba subgroup for that matter.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 9:09am On May 05, 2020
The yorubas says the oba of benin worships the various yoruba gods in the palace to show is identity to yoruba heritage

They are ignorant to the fact that the oba of benin is a god on is own and he cant worship a lesser gods and he cant also be possessed by any of this gods, as it is regarded as a taboo. be it ogun, avanuko, asagidi and the others
as a matter of fact the only gods worship in the palace. is the benin god almighty osanubua and the spirit of his deceased ancestors

During the 16c the Portuguese had recorded the various civil war that had took place in benin and as a result benin was reduced to a village
One of the cause of the civil was the fact that the oba who had died wasnt having an heir and a distance relative of the oba was choosen to be oba, and he was later found posed of oromila a goddess of the sea of particular town in benin
This made the chiefs warranted the oba to impeached because it is believed the oba himself is divine a greater god here on earth and shouldn't be possed by small gods and the oba stood his ground not to step down and the civil war happened

The fact here is no trace of even a shared gods between the benin people and the yoruba people are found in the palace worships this shared gods are usually found outside the palace worshiped by a distinct clan in benin and not necessarily by the entire benin populace it is also seen that the oba of benin dont even pay any form of homage or give any annual festival right to this shared gods
unlike the ooni of ife that usually have annual festival of this various gods shared between benin and yoruba

If truly this shared gods had been introduced by oromiyan as the myth claims why no trace of its worship can be found in the palace of the oba benin, and even if it was disgarded from the palace for some reasons why is that no annual accordance was given to it by the palace , even when it's a known fact in the benin - ife myth it was an ancestoral gods introduced to benins by oromiyan

A RECONSIDERATION OF BENIN-IFE MYTHOLOGY

1 Like

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by lawani: 10:56am On May 05, 2020
MightySparrow:
Either is distorting history or not honest. Each of these kingdoms affected themselves at their peaks. I was doing a research this week on this matter how these kingdoms affected each other culturally. I discovered that Benin worship three principal gods: Ogun, Ifa, Olokun. and the name Oba for benin name for their monarch is not seemingly Benin word.
yet Lagos in Yorubaland has such name for their king. There seem to be no time yoruba invaded Benin kingdom but not same for yoruba as Lagos may not have similarities within Benin without a sort of conquest. Ikere in Ekiti has Ogoga as the titular name for their king following a raid of a benin man on the town.
Also, when Oranmiyan was going to revenge misson for the mistreatment of his grandfather, he didn't face benin but moved towards the north. The history of yoruba shows that Gogobiri and other tribe followed Oduduwa. Their is no evidence Benin has any blood relationship with these tribes. The study is in progres
thank you for the mention of oranmiyan moving towards the north when moving an army to avenge his grandpa. This was what led to the establishment of oyo when the bariba refused to let him pass on to mecca. That put paid to the ekharledian story.
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 11:34am On May 05, 2020
MightySparrow:
Either is distorting history or not honest. Each of these kingdoms affected themselves at their peaks. I was doing a research this week on this matter how these kingdoms affected each other culturally. I discovered that Benin worship three principal gods: Ogun, Ifa, Olokun. and the name Oba for benin name for their monarch is not seemingly Benin word.
Also, when Oranmiyan was going to revenge misson for the mistreatment of his grandfather, he didn't face benin but moved towards the north. The history of yoruba shows that Gogobiri and other tribe followed Oduduwa. Their is no evidence Benin has any blood relationship with these tribes. The study is in progres

Thank you....

I dont know the tribe you are from but you seem to want the truth and not necessarily afraid to say it the way it is, gone are the days the truth was hidden because of lack of information to the populace

I personally dont know the Yoruba story it would have helped me better in explaining the benin-ife myth

The truth is the closest neighbor to the benins were the yorubas followed by the igbos, the benin shores were surrounded by the yoruba people i would say yorubas make up some percentage of benin population

Again the title oba was an abbreviation of the full title omo n' oba( the shinny child) to a third party like the yorubas who dont know the etymology would easily equate it as simply meaning king

Omo n' oba(shinny child) was the original full title of the oba of benin it shouldn't be interpreted as
Meaning kings child by the yorubas,
Kings child in benin will be called ovioba
The benin title omo n' oba was a praise title
Which the full name is omo n' oba nedo ukwakpolopolo the word oba was later shortened by the Portuguese for easy pronunciation

The word oba was recently used from 1960 to adress the yoruba obas before this time no yoruba kings were adressed as oba

The issue is if the world for king was oba and the language of Yoruba emerged from ife like they say then the ooni should have been crowned oba and not ooni

Your quest should be did oromiyan really reach benin or was it the benin influence on yorubas thst brought this similarities between both party

Check my comment here

https://www.nairaland.com/5835965/prove-benin-ife-connection-archeological#89203443

Samuk
Davidnazee
Ghostwon
AreaFada2

1 Like

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by lawani: 11:45am On May 05, 2020
gregyboy:

Thank you....

I dont know the tribe you are from but you seem to want the truth and not necessarily afraid to say it the way it is, gone are the days the truth was hidden because of lack of information to the populace

I personally dont know the Yoruba story it would have helped me better in explaining the benin-ife myth

The truth is the closest neighbor to the benins were the yorubas followed by the igbos, the benin shores were surrounded by the yoruba people i would say yorubas make up some percentage of benin population

Again the title oba was an abbreviation of the full title omo n' oba( the shinny child) to a third party like the yorubas who dont know the etymology would easily equate it as simply meaning king

Omo n' oba(shinny child) was the original full title of the oba of benin it shouldn't be interpreted as
Meaning kings child by the yorubas,
Kings child in benin will be called ovioba
The benin title omo n' oba was a praise title
Which the full name is omo n' oba nedo ukwakpolopolo the word oba was later shortened by the Portuguese for easy pronunciation

The word oba was recently used from 1960 to adress the yoruba obas before this time no yoruba kings were adressed as oba

The issue is if the world for king was oba and the language of Yoruba emerged from ife like they say then the ooni should have been crowned oba and not ooni

Your quest should be did oromiyan really reach benin or was it the benin influence on yorubas thst brought this similarities between both party

Check my comment here

https://www.nairaland.com/5835965/prove-benin-ife-connection-archeological#89203443

Samuk
Davidnazee
Ghostwon
AreaFada2
Oba is the word for king in Yoruba language while Ogie is the Benin equivalent. Omonobanedo in yoruba means the child is king in edo in remembrance of when oranmiyan left his young son eweka to be oba in Benin. Your statement that oba usage started after 1960 in Yoruba land is totally wrong. Oba is a Yoruba word.

2 Likes

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 12:16pm On May 05, 2020
lawani:
Oba is the word for king in Yoruba language while Ogie is the Benin equivalent. Omonobanedo in yoruba means the child is king in edo in remembrance of when oranmiyan left his young son eweka to be oba in Benin. Your statement that oba usage started after 1960 in Yoruba land is totally wrong. Oba is a Yoruba word.

And i said the third party yorubas will equate it as directly meaning king.....
I never said the word oba is not king in Yoruba

I also believe the word oba came to yoruba through benin influence over yoruba people

Unless you want to prove oromiyan existence in benin

Even some yorubas belived oromiyan didn't step in benin and that oromiyan was a warlord who had fought the people who overthrown Oduduwa

1 Like

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by AreaFada2: 1:47pm On May 05, 2020
lawani:
Ogie means Lord. While a king can be addressed as Lord but usually Ogie is reserved for chiefs. A Duke is called Enogie (The Lord roughly).

Being that Enigie/chiefs/chieftains (plural) are way below the King, Oba or Omonoba since centuries became the king's unique distinguishing title nobody else within Benin territories could use.

You have to thoroughly understand Benin language to get the logic. Just reading what people write about titles in Benin won't give you the full sense of it.
When prince Iginuwa was sent to the seaside now Warri, his father Oba Olua made him Ogie Ame (Lord or Duke of the sea or seaside). Ogiame remains the main title. Olu is just a later addition.

That's the normal Benin culture of making the Oba's younger sons or younger brothers or those who will not be Oba the dukes in the provinces.
An Oba does not make his son another Oba in his life time. No two obas reign at the same time. So Oba Olua made him Ogie, not king. Though he was the first son, the nobility already made it clear that Iginuwa will never be king due to his "character".

Oba Olua decided to settle him on the seaside and avoid inevitable succession crisis in the future.

While Eweka l became the first Omo n' Oba (shinning child), Oba title already existed in Ogiso dynasty. Like Obagodo.

Oba means shining like heavenly bodies: stars, moon, sun, etc. In common speak it can mean bright red or such shiny colourful reddish stuff.

Many countries have or had the culture of calling princes and princesses child or daughter or son of the land.
Infante or Infanta of Spain, Fils or Fille of France, etc.
Nothing at all difficult to understand there.

3 Likes

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 2:09pm On May 05, 2020
lawani:

Ogie doesn't mean king

Here is it etymology

Ogie(sent)

The word ogie removing its etymology can stand for meaning king, royalty and what have you
This is to say the etymology of a word does not describe it meaning

The etymology of the world king means family

King (family)

Derived from kin
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by lawani: 3:04pm On May 05, 2020
gregyboy:

And i said the third party yorubas will equate it as directly meaning king.....
I never said the word oba is not king in Yoruba

I also believe the word oba came to yoruba true benin influence over yoruba people

Unless you want to prove oromiyan existence in benin

Even some yorubas belived oromiyan didn't step in benin and that oromiyan was a warlord who had fought tethe people who overthrown Oduduwa
It is the other way round. the word oba came to Benin through Yoruba influence. The Benin empire didn't speak edo as lingua franca but Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 3:27pm On May 05, 2020
lawani:
It is the other way round. the word oba came to Benin through Yoruba influence. The Benin empire didn't speak edo as lingua franca but Yoruba.

Ok you have to prove it.....

You also have to prove benin have any connections with ife

If not run along
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by lawani: 3:48pm On May 05, 2020
gregyboy:

Ok you have to prove it.....

You also have to prove benin have any connections with ife

If not run along
Do you know that agenebode is ago onibode is a Benin town with a Yoruba name?. So also ogotun. Benin kings were Yoruba people until recently when the edo people overwhelmed the town. The ugbodu people in delta state came from Benin and they are Yoruba's speaking olukunmi a Yoruba dialect today.

1 Like

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 4:46pm On May 05, 2020
lawani:
Do you know that agenebode is ago onibode is a Benin town with a Yoruba name?. So also ogotun. Benin kings were Yoruba people until recently when the edo people overwhelmed the town. The ugbodu people in delta state came from Benin and they are Yoruba's speaking olukunmi a Yoruba dialect today.

The outskirts of edo are mixed with not just benin but yoruba, igala, nupe and Fulani

You calling a mix of benin and yoruba makes you look foolish to me

Go back and bring more valif point......

1 Like

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by TAO11(f): 5:30pm On May 05, 2020
gregyboy:

The outskirts of edo are mixed with not just benin but yoruba, igala, nupe and Fulani

You calling a mix of benin and yoruba makes you look foolish in my eyes......

Go back and bring more valif point......

Oga, Yoruba was the lingua-franca in your Benin Kingdom. Stop fighting history. cheesy

Your Obas were Ife-Yoruba. So who born the subjects make dem no learn Yoruba?

Who dash monkey banana?

See attached! cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 6:47pm On May 05, 2020
MightySparrow:
Either is distorting history or not honest. Each of these kingdoms affected themselves at their peaks. I was doing a research this week on this matter how these kingdoms affected each other culturally. I discovered that Benin worship three principal Yoruba gods: Ogun, Ifa, Olokun. and the name Oba for benin name for their monarch is not seemingly Benin word.
Also, when Oranmiyan was going to revenge misson for the mistreatment of his grandfather, he didn't face benin but moved towards the north. The history of yoruba shows that Gogobiri and Kukawa followed Oduduwa. Their is no evidence Benin has any blood relationship with these tribes. The study is in progres

Again the tilte of the lagos monarch was eleko n eko the British couldnt pronounce his title and since he traced his origin to benin the British decided to call him oba of lagos

Dont get this missed up oba was recently adopted by your people to mean king......

If the world meant king the ooni should have originally be crowned oba of ife and not ooni

Am still looking for the trace of oromiyan in benin

1 Like

Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 6:55pm On May 05, 2020
MightySparrow:

And our original history of ekaladeran said he died at ughoton aint you beging to see the political play here
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 7:05pm On May 05, 2020
AreaFada2:

Ogie means Lord. While a king can be addressed as Lord but usually Ogie is reserved for chiefs. A Duke is called Enogie (The Lord roughly).

Being that Enigie/chiefs/chieftains (plural) are way below the King, Oba or Omonoba since centuries became the king's unique distinguishing title nobody else within Benin territories could use.

You have to thoroughly understand Benin language to get the logic. Just reading what people write about titles in Benin won't give you the full sense of it.
When prince Iginuwa was sent to the seaside now Warri, his father Oba Olua made him Ogie Ame (Lord or Duke of the sea or seaside). Ogiame remains the main title. Olu is just a latter addition.

That's the normal Benin culture of making the Oba's younger sons or younger brothers or those who will not be Oba the dukes in the provinces.
An Oba does not make his son another Oba in his life time. No two obas reign at the same time. So Oba Olua made him Ogie, not king. Though he was the first son, the nobility already made it clear that Iginuwa will never be king due to his "character".

Oba Olua decided to settle him on the seaside and avoid inevitable succession crisis in the future.

While Eweka l became the first Omo n' Oba (shinning child), Oba title already existed in Ogiso dynasty. Like Obagodo.

Oba means shining like heavenly bodies: stars, moon, sun, etc. In common speak it can mean bright read or such shiny colourful reddish stuff.
In many countries have culture of calling princes and princesses child or daughter or son of the land.
Infante or Infanta of Spain, Fils or Fille of France, etc.
Nothing at all difficult to understand there.

Dont mind the yorubas they will call

Olu lord and not king

And they will come and say the word ogie means king

Dont argue

Some even said oromiyan was a conqueror who conqured yoruba areas while approaching benin he heard his grandfather Oduduwa has been dethroned and he abandoned his trip to benin and face ife and never returned to benin

The benin changed the ekaladeran story of dieing at ughoton to migrating to ife to rule them so the oba can control ths entire western regions since he had controlled a part before
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by MightySparrow: 7:33pm On May 05, 2020
gregyboy:

Again the tilte of the lagos monarch was eleko n eko the British couldnt pronounce his title and since he traced his origin to benin the British decided to call him oba of lagos

Dont get this missed up oba was recently adopted by your people to mean king......

If the world meant king the ooni should have originally be crowned oba of ife and not ooni

Am still looking for the trace of oromiyan in benin
You probably have read wrong history or you can't analyse history with common sense or read my response carefully. The Yoruba version says Oduduwa came to Ife with a piece of material with Quranic verse. Samuel Johnson said it is Biblical verse. Whatever, none of the debated people had any writing skill before the advent British in 18th century. Ekaledan couldn't have taken a written document to Ife. Again, Oromiyan missing in the annals of Benin is something to think about. There mighit not be any Oranmiyan or Izoduwa.
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by MightySparrow: 7:40pm On May 05, 2020
gregyboy:

And our original history of ekaladeran said he died at ughoton aint you beging to see the political play here
Is ughoton the same as Ife?
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 8:16pm On May 05, 2020
MightySparrow:
You probably have read wrong history or you can't analyse history with common sense or read my response carefully. The Yoruba version says Oduduwa came to Ife with a piece of material with Quranic verse. Samuel Johnson said it is Biblical verse. whatever, none of the debated people had any writing skill before the advent British in 18th century. Ekaledan couldn't have taken a written document to Ife. Again, oromiyan missing in the annals of Benin is something to think about. There mighit not be any Oranmiyan or Izoduwa.

Yea, i want to believe there is no ekaladeran
But ekaladeran established a village in benin called ughoton anual right and ascension of the oba are been done at ughoton were ekaladeran had lived and died.....

benins didn't write but they were very organized
They motalized thier dead in a very organized manners

They were introduced to writings by the Europeans they felt no need because thier form of documentation was unique and they felt no need for writing

So there was ekaladeran who died at ughoton and not ife
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 8:29pm On May 05, 2020
MightySparrow:
Is ughoton the same as Ife?

Nope is a village in benin
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by MightySparrow: 9:23pm On May 05, 2020
gregyboy:

But ekaladeran established a village in benin called ughoton anual right and ascension of the oba are been done at ughoton were ekaladeran had lived and died.....

If benins didnt write but they were very organized
They kept all motalized thier dead in an organized manners

They were introduced to writings by the Europeans they felt no need because thier form of documentation was unique and they felt no need for writing

So there was ekaladeran who died at ughoton
Agreed, the written scripture talked about is from what Benin religion?
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by MightySparrow: 9:28pm On May 05, 2020
gregyboy:

If benins didnt write but they were very organized
They kept all motalized thier dead in an organized manners

So there was ekaladeran who died at ughoton
Agreed, the scripture talked about at Iledi in Ife is written in what language and what Benin religion?
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 9:39pm On May 05, 2020
MightySparrow:
Agreed, the scripture talked about at Iledi in Ife is written in what language and what Benin religion?

I dont know any scripture ooh what scripture is that
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by MightySparrow: 9:45pm On May 05, 2020
gregyboy:

I dont know any scripture ooh what scripture is that
So, your arguement is about myths and not facts and logic? You are supposed to be educated right?
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 9:53pm On May 05, 2020
MightySparrow:
So, your arguement is about myths and not facts and logic? You are supposed to be educated right?

Nigga am not understanding you anymore

What fucking scripture
Re: Prove Benin - Ife Connection With Archeological Findings And Get 10k by gregyboy(m): 10:00pm On May 05, 2020
MightySparrow:

In your previous comment i read you talking about writing and scriptures i guess it what you're trying to communicate here

If it is am sorry i have heard of this version of history before

You need to enlighten me on this one

(1) (2) (Reply)

Virginity And Chastity In Ancient African Tradition / Igbo Series (beauty Kings & Queens, Pageant Winners And Models) / Igbo Language London Conference 2012 Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.