|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,716,596 members, 6,422,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 August 2021 at 01:42 AM
Jonathan, Atiku, Saraki Remember Umaru Musa Yar'adua 11 Years After His Death / MC Tagwaye Meets Abdul’aziz Musa Yar’adua, Umaru's Younger Brother / Buhari: Shehu Musa Yar’adua And I Wrote WASCE In 1961 (2) (3) (4)
|Remembering Umaru Musa Yar’adua – Ten Things You Should Know About Him by semasir: 6:39am On May 05, 2020|
On this day, 10 years ago, 5th of May 2010, Nigeria lost her 13th President Umaru Musa Yar'adua.
He once said: dead or alive, Nigeria will become one of the greatest on earth.
Former President Umaru Musa Yar'adua with his wife, Turai and daughter in the late 70s when he was a University lecturer
Here are ten (10) things you should know about him:
1. He was born on 16th August 1951 into a titled Fulani family in Katsina; his father, Musa Yar'Adua, was a Minister for Lagos in the First Republic
2. Umaru Musa Yar'Adua was the first Governor to declare his assets in 1999 and remains the only Nigerian Head-of-State to publicly declare his assets on his own free will.⠀
3. He had ₦856,452,892 in assets, ₦19 million of which belonged to his wife. He also had ₦88,793,269.77 in liabilities.
4. He went to Saudi Arabia in 2009 to receive treatment and returned on 24th February 2010 but he died on 5th May 2010 at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa, Abuja.
5. Umaru Yar'Adua married Turai Umaru Yar'Adua of Katsina in 1975 with seven childrenand (five daughters and two sons) and was married to Hauwa Umar Radda from 1992 to 1997; they had two children.
6. Three of his daughters are married to former Governors - Zainab is married to Kebbi State governor Usman Saidu Nasamu Dakingari; Nafisa is married to the former Isa Yuguda the former Governor of Bauchi State; Maryam is married to Ibrahim Shema the former Governor of Katsina State.
7. Yar'Adua's first employment was at Holy Child College in Lagos (1975–76). He later served as a lecturer at the College of Arts, Science, and Technology in Zaria, Kaduna State, between 1976 and 1979.
8. During the transition programme of General Ibrahim Babangida to the Third Republic, Yar'Adua was one of the foundation members of the Peoples Front of Nigeria with other members such as Atiku Abubakar, Baba Gana Kingibe, Bola Tinubu, Sabo Bakin Zuwo, Wada Abubakar, Abdullahi Aliyu Sumaila and Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso.
9. He defeated his closest rival, Rochas Okorocha on 16 - 17 December 2006 as the presidential candidate of the ruling PDP for the April 2007 election, receiving 3,024 votes from party delegates; Okorocha received 372 votes.
10. He won the 21st April 2007 Presidential Election, with 70% of the vote (24.6 million votes) against Muhammadu Buhari and Atiku Abubakar
Yar'Adua proposed a government of National Unity when he assumed office hence two opposition parties, the ANPP and the Progressive Peoples Alliance (PPA), agreed to join his government. His new cabinet was sworn in on 26 July 2007. It included 39 ministers, including two for the ANPP.
His tenure also had the following positives:
-Increased Minimum wage
-Increased Armed Forces and the Nigeria Police Force salary
-increased NYSC allowance
-Reduce petroleum price
-Gave amnesty to the Militants
Former President Goodluck Jonathan eulogised him thus:
"Nigeria has lost the jewel on its crown and even the heavens mourn with our nation tonight.
|Re: Remembering Umaru Musa Yar’adua – Ten Things You Should Know About Him by hucienda: 6:42am On May 05, 2020|
Your presidency despite its obvious challenges - like any other - ingrained in national lexicon the term "servant leader". You and your #2, later also president, are kind, gentle and humane.
23 November 2009 to 5 May 2010 was a period of confusion in the country. Parliament had to invoke the Doctrine of Necessity for the VP to act as president from 9 February after more than two months of stasis.
Nigerians would recall with fond memories one of your first acts in office - your reversal of PMS back to N65 per litre - after your predecessor hiked it a week to his departure from the Aso Villa.
All in all, no one is perfect. You played your part, Mr President.
Respect, President Yar'Adua.
|Re: Remembering Umaru Musa Yar’adua – Ten Things You Should Know About Him by Akizygimba(m): 6:42am On May 05, 2020|
Rest In Perfect Peace Yar'Adua,
We were waiting for the Vision2020 you promise us, until China brought the Corona n [s]5G[s/]
1 Like 1 Share
|Re: Remembering Umaru Musa Yar’adua – Ten Things You Should Know About Him by IceLip: 6:44am On May 05, 2020|
Maan who has great vision for 2020, but his vice have been working with the grace of
1 Like 1 Share
|Re: Remembering Umaru Musa Yar’adua – Ten Things You Should Know About Him by sarrki(m): 6:47am On May 05, 2020|
One of the best if not the best
|Re: Remembering Umaru Musa Yar’adua – Ten Things You Should Know About Him by dangermouse(m): 6:49am On May 05, 2020|
A detribalised Nigerian who has the national well being and development at heart and was mourned by all. Rest on mr president.
|Re: Remembering Umaru Musa Yar’adua – Ten Things You Should Know About Him by paqman(m): 7:12am On May 05, 2020|
The day the man died even the angels in heaven cried and mourn for nigeria. Since that time nigeria as no sensible president
|Re: Remembering Umaru Musa Yar’adua – Ten Things You Should Know About Him by Akurakambe(m): 7:50am On May 05, 2020|
One of the best presidents to have ever led us. His good deeds cut across all the length and breath of the country and not the TRIBAL AND RELIGIOUS BIGOT we currently have as a president.
BTW I'm an igbo and I had wished Yar'adua would've still been alive to finish his lofty programs.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51