Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,788 members, 7,802,461 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise (47125 Views)

Deep Down Inside Me, I Feel Guilt And Hated Myself For What I Have Been Doing / Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise / SUBEB: My Mother Was Cheated And Harassed At Her Workplace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by cray91(m): 7:16pm On May 05, 2020
So believe those CBN and FG shits?
Peterobi90:
But CBN said no company should lay off without its approval...

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by xandy84: 7:17pm On May 05, 2020
Please look up Majeure clause and you see company or cooperation can't be help liable for contractual agreement in time of natural disasters like this. I am not making excuses for them but just pointing it out to you.

ooohoo:

Ffolksy

In my own opinion - I may be wrong - a company's policy does not supercede the terms of employment. And as it is clearly stated in the Nigerian labour act, the company is required to either give you two weeks notice (if on probation), one month notice (if confirmed) OR one month salary payment (in lieu) if termination is immediate. I'd advise you to check your letter of employment again for the terms you signed.

After this, I'd also advise you - this worked for a friend - to approach a lawyer who will write a letter to the company. The law firm will most definitely ask for full payment of your salary and all its associated allowances from the said company, referencing the terms of agreement you have with them, failure in which a lawsuit will be filed. If the company fail to acknowledge or do something about it (in my friend's case, the salary was transferred to the designated salary account at about 6:00 AM a day after the company received the letter), the law firm may threaten a lawsuit worth millions with accrued interest and litigation expenses, this will be filed with the National Industrial Court (NIC).

I am 60% sure that the company will want to avoid litigation.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by SweetyZinta(f): 7:17pm On May 05, 2020
Ffolksy:
Hi Everyone,

I want to run this through this platform, perhaps I would get some useful input.

I switched companies in March. It was basically due to locations. I was doing fine at my former company. I moved to the latter one because it's close to my house and offered a little salary raise. Turned out it would be my worst career decision.

First week in April after the lockdown was announced, the company came up with a work from home policy which stated that staff were meant to work only Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Consequently, only 70 percent of basic salary (without the allowances) would be paid, and worse, computation would be made for only the number of days (I.e, 12 days a month).

We were assured it's just for the lockdown period, and that things would return to normal afterwards.

Surprisingly, by third week of April, about 90% of staff (including I) was laid off, giving us one week notice.

Yesterday, i got N36,000 from them as my salary for April. My agreed net salary before accepting their offer was N240,000, and that's what I got in March

Considering I'm being laid off, shouldn't they have at least paid the full salary for the month? I feel greatly cheated. Any advice, please?

Thank you.

I am sorry about this misfortune that befell you. If you have an appointment letter from them, you should approach a lawyer. Good luck
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by joey150(m): 7:20pm On May 05, 2020
iHart:
I don't really get this sacking of a thing. Why don't they suspend the staff? When things return to normal, the reabsorb them. Or are they saying they will start afresh to recruit and train staff when things get back to normal?

Suspend staff with or without pay?
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by ooohoo: 7:23pm On May 05, 2020
afecgivers:

They have paid 34k out 240k so what is next! You both can team up to sue the company. I'm thinking on how to cut my staff strength from 31 to 10 this month. I'm an employer that is why I'm myopic.

So far you do that based on the contractual agreement you have with your employees, you are good to go, else, they are free to drag you to any point they want to drag you, legally.

Even if you want to lay off employees and do not have enough to pay, you engage them, not act like a demi god.

He worked for that money and a sensible management would have engaged him and others like him, even if they do not have enough to clear the bills, not lie!

1 Like

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Femeto: 7:25pm On May 05, 2020
Just ba kamu. You can report them to NECA sha.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Nobody: 7:26pm On May 05, 2020
afecgivers:

Bro! Are you ok! They even tried to pay you something.
Employee are always selfish. Do you know if the company has broke even since they commence business or they are operating on loan. Now here come unplanned global pandemic that has melt down economies. I beg which company dey pay you 240k per month? Na oil company? Just move on, you can't do anything at the movement.

I fear when him say him dey collect that amount as salary.Wetin him dey do for the company wey dem dey pay am that amount?
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Onuels(m): 7:26pm On May 05, 2020
ProfDview1:
That's Nigeria for u... Evil people everywhere

Guys pls help me
If I want to learn software programming, is it better I learn it online or go learn it in a center?

Like how much is needed to learn it in ikeja

Actually I av tried learning but I got bored of it learning it myself

Secondly, someone gave me access to a cloud storage, I can find how to learn digital market, seo and so many plus videos.

I don't know which one I shud take up

Please Bro can we learn together. I really won't mind adding such skills
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Kobicove(m): 7:29pm On May 05, 2020
neferttiti:
Speak to a lawyer .. one that has empathy. The truth is there are some lawyers who love such cases and will gladly fight for you. They will find loophole in the contract and use it in your favor. The company might decide to settle outside court. If you can't find justice you can at least drag the mofos on social media angry angry

OP, before you take this course of action please do a cost-benefit analysis undecided
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Xclusiveme: 7:29pm On May 05, 2020
Here is a very wrong place to seek advice
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Resurgent2016: 7:30pm On May 05, 2020
Ffolksy:

There's nothing like that. The work from home policy was via email. My concern is shouldn't they have paid my full salary as agreed, considering that's what's on my contract? Can I take them up? If yes, how can I?

Very sorry bro, man up and move on, workers rights are rarely protected in Nigeria and employers get away with a lot of bull shit. I have seen a situation where someone resigned to joined a new co and the new co rescinded his appointment shortly before he resumed stating that they changed their mind.

You should just do them an email nicely asking that they should consider respecting the terms of your engagement. However if this fails, you can still push on to more assertive ways (e.g the NIC or report to NLC if unionised) but being that the salary in salary in dispute is just (240,000+, no insult intended), it may not be worth the stress, cost and possible career damage.

My advice to you, do just the email. Some industries are quite are smaller or well informed ,once you have serious issues with your last employer, other ones will run from you, then you may need to leave the industry entirely or take a bad offer.

Also, your major concern also is explaining losing 2 jobs in the space of 2 months to your next employer. Many employers are wary of non-loyal employees and will suspect it points to a character flaw in the applicant.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by ooohoo: 7:32pm On May 05, 2020
xandy84:
You are right but in times of emergencies like natural disasters, etc, laws do not count much. JCPENNEY went under and stopped paying wages the first week of locked down. Coca-Cola lay off some staff right from the start of locked down cos demand is largely affected. I am not making excuses for the company but being he is a new staff, you are the first to let go when company fall into difficult times. You can sue them but I doubt you going to win cos the lay off is not their fault either and they have little option. Companies are into business of making money and the moment they ain't making it, all hell is lose.

I understand this bro, but a sensible organisation would have been straightforward with him and others like him. Going by his post, he, like many others, was lied to. And of course he has a contract, which must be respected.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Onebyonedead: 7:33pm On May 05, 2020
That is so sad

Employees got no rights in Nigeria

It is indeed a zoo
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by afecgivers: 7:36pm On May 05, 2020
[quote author=ooohoo post=89224938]

So far you do that based on the contractual agreement you have with your employees, you are good to go, else, they are free to drag you to any point they want to drag you, legally.

Even if you want to lay off employees and do not have enough to pay, you engage them, not act like a demi god.

He worked for that money and a sensible management would have engaged him and others like him, even if they do not have enough to clear the bills, not lie![/quote

Lol
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by bellosulaiman(m): 7:38pm On May 05, 2020
@OP, God is testing your faith. First of all, praise and give glory to God for giving you good health. Now, pray to God to deliver you from this trouble.
For the mean time, based on your analysis you should be mobile you may wish to join the cab hailing riders (I don’t want to advertise) for you to be able to break even in your expenses. Or you may wish to do any other profitable business you have ideas about.

I pray to God to answer your prayers and set your career back on track - amen �.

Stay calm and be safe too.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by ooohoo: 7:38pm On May 05, 2020
xandy84:
Please look up Majeure clause and you see company or cooperation can't be help liable for contractual agreement in time of natural disasters like this. I am not making excuses for them but just pointing it out to you.

Thank you for bringing this up, I'd look that up. But that aside, since the op has nothing to lose, he may go with a legal letter, it would have been great if op has a lawyer friend who can help with this kinda letter FOC, at least to try something; a non-threatening stance to "pacify/rock" the employer.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 7:39pm On May 05, 2020
I
ProfDview1:
That's Nigeria for u... Evil people everywhere

Guys pls help me
If I want to learn software programming, is it better I learn it online or go learn it in a center?

Like how much is needed to learn it in ikeja

Actually I av tried learning but I got bored of it learning it myself

Secondly, someone gave me access to a cloud storage, I can find how to learn digital market, seo and so many plus videos.

I don't know which one I shud take up

Pls i'am also interested!!!
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by K4daniel: 7:40pm On May 05, 2020
This guy take look at yourself in a mirror and say to yourself relax It Shall be well ijn ..your sack letter could be a blessing in disguise for you, just be courageous and look inward. Try and draft out next plan i beleive your plan B of having your own business is next, look out for what people will need and how you can solve their problems. FOOD, HOUSEHOLD THINGS,SERVICIES THAT ARE CLOSE TO NECESSITIES AND BASIC DAILY MAN'S NEED. let your business solve people's problem. Go study biography of great successful business men.

Get your self a business plan and what is left is financing.

look inward family members, friends and uncle's that could help you with loans or any aunty that has a house you could use for collaterial and approach any of the banks. It's time for you too to become employer of labour. It's a though one but when you get a breakthrough you will be celebrated.

Everything works together for GOOD MAN.

I pray God made it clearer to you and you succeed in jesus name.

Go and prosper and thank me later.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by GamalNasser: 7:42pm On May 05, 2020
Ffolksy:

There's nothing like that. The work from home policy was via email. My concern is shouldn't they have paid my full salary as agreed, considering that's what's on my contract? Can I take them up? If yes, how can I?

But since you were retrenched during the lockdown the smart HR is is assuming 36k is the full pay as per work from home pay
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by cpmconsultingltd: 7:45pm On May 05, 2020
watch these video for tips on how to deal with heart breaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W5a0u4Qkrg
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by adomuwiner(m): 7:50pm On May 05, 2020
Take your case to public complaint commission
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by vivalavida(m): 7:52pm On May 05, 2020
barrwebilor:
Maybe, they are to owe you and pay subsequently. I am lawyer, you can brief me on 09037165674. Cheers

U are Gini with this English you wrote there?
Lmao
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by KGREAT(m): 7:55pm On May 05, 2020
You are entitled to one full month salary, but laying you off is legal since you are still on probation. just wait first and let them give you letter of termination, then you can ask your lawyer to write the company. i'm sue they will not want to go to court. Apart fro, this, I'm not aware of any other thing you can do.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by joefelin2345: 7:57pm On May 05, 2020
The lockdown is what is called Force Majeure i.e. Act of God. As an HR Consultant I have been advising my clients to be including that paragraph in their Letter of Offer of Provisional Employment henceforth. Thank you.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Abdul10234040: 7:57pm On May 05, 2020
Sorry for intruding, the company where u were laid off, what particular job are u doing there.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by showafrica(m): 8:01pm On May 05, 2020
frugal:

I empathize with you. Paying salaries isn't easy, especially when income isn't happening for the company. Let's say I have N30m in my company account as a small private business, and my total staff salary is N5m/mo. What would you do if you were me, the owner of this company?

Well, I think about that, but we are not labourers. At least someone worked for you and the company to reach 30m. How can you seize the salary immediately the income seized. Some worked for 10yrs some 15 yrs and immediately income seized, salary seized, thats not fair. I will understand or all staffs will understand if company was downsizing, thats understandable. Not when company is making stable profit and suddenly catastrophe hit, you seize salary. Lets assume the lockdown did not happen, your company that had 30m might have 50m after one month, would you now say you cant spare 5m for them if the lockdown eventually happened later?

1 Like

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Mires: 8:01pm On May 05, 2020
Ffolksy:
Hi Everyone,

I want to run this through this platform, perhaps I would get some useful input.

I switched companies in March. It was basically due to locations. I was doing fine at my former company. I moved to the latter one because it's close to my house and offered a little salary raise. Turned out it would be my worst career decision.

First week in April after the lockdown was announced, the company came up with a work from home policy which stated that staff were meant to work only Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Consequently, only 70 percent of basic salary (without the allowances) would be paid, and worse, computation would be made for only the number of days (I.e, 12 days a month).

We were assured it's just for the lockdown period, and that things would return to normal afterwards.

Surprisingly, by third week of April, about 90% of staff (including I) was laid off, giving us one week notice.

Yesterday, i got N36,000 from them as my salary for April. My agreed net salary before accepting their offer was N240,000, and that's what I got in March

Considering I'm being laid off, shouldn't they have at least paid the full salary for the month? I feel greatly cheated. Any advice, please?

Thank you.

It's painful. Move on. At the same time, the firm like a lot of firms might be operating on lost.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by ehinmowo: 8:06pm On May 05, 2020
Ffolksy:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you.

Bro talk to a lawyer. If he feels you were unjustly dismissed, then ask him to prepare papers for the company. Don't offer to pay him. Offer to share the proceeds 50:50. Request for damages. I can feel it in my bones that you have millions (at least 2m) in damages waiting for you. But talk to a lawyer first.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by saxxyb: 8:10pm On May 05, 2020
Its possible to sue them, communicate to senior professionals for advice, unfortunately this is what we have in Nigeria
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by vivalavida(m): 8:17pm On May 05, 2020
Resurgent2016:

Very sorry bro, man up and move on, workers rights are rarely protected in Nigeria and employers get away with a lot of bull shit. I have seen a situation where someone resigned to joined a new co and the new co rescinded his appointment shortly before he resumed stating that they changed their mind.

You should just do them an email nicely asking that they should consider respecting the terms of your engagement. However if this fails, you can still push on to more assertive ways (e.g the NIC or report to NLC if unionised) but being that the salary in salary in dispute is just (240,000+, no insult intended), it may not be worth the stress, cost and possible career damage.

My advice to you, do just the email. Some industries are quite are smaller or well informed ,once you have serious issues with your last employer, other ones will run from you, then you may need to leave the industry entirely or take a bad offer.

Also, your major concern also is explaining losing 2 jobs in the space of 2 months to your next employer. Many employers are wary of non-loyal employees and will suspect it points to a character flaw in the applicant.

Best comment so far
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by jimcaddy(m): 8:20pm On May 05, 2020
You know how Nigerian companies are. That is when they will claim "company policy states". So they have the upper hand in that they can even quickly draft a quick policy to defend themselves. So just leave them to God and work on getting another job..
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by nedekid: 8:31pm On May 05, 2020
Peterobi90:
But CBN said no company should lay off without its approval...

And cbn says they will pay companies their loss of business so they can retain staff..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

This Crippled Man Decides To Work Instead Of Begging (photos) / How I Got Fired From Chevron By A Gay Boss / Nigerian Lady, Olabisi Is A Carpenter & She's Very Proud Of It (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.