Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,564 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:30 PM

I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise (47139 Views)

Deep Down Inside Me, I Feel Guilt And Hated Myself For What I Have Been Doing / Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise / SUBEB: My Mother Was Cheated And Harassed At Her Workplace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 8:36pm On May 05, 2020
Show us the alert for March or I don't believe this rubbish
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by nedekid: 8:41pm On May 05, 2020
afecgivers:

Bro! Are you ok! They even tried to pay you something.
Employee are always selfish. Do you know if the company has broke even since they commence business or they are operating on loan. Now here come unplanned global pandemic that has melt down economies. I beg which company dey pay you 240k per month? Na oil company? Just move on, you can't do anything at the movement.

Bros, that's why I no gree open my office ohh. Cos I know sales will be poor for the next 2 months or so. Once employees show face for 1 or 2 days, or even de there and no sales they will still expect me to pay them with my blood at the month end. So to avoid wahala. I no open!

2 Likes

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by OOSmilling(m): 8:49pm On May 05, 2020
xandy84:
Please look up Majeure clause and you see company or cooperation can't be help liable for contractual agreement in time of natural disasters like this. I am not making excuses for them but just pointing it out to you.
u mean 'force majeure' GOd help emloyee, always at d receiving end.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by afecgivers: 8:52pm On May 05, 2020
nedekid:

Bros, that's why I no gree open my office ohh. Cos I know sales will be poor for the next 2 months or so. Once employees show face for 1 or 2 days, or even de there and no sales they will still expect me to pay them with my blood at the month end. So to avoid wahala. I no open!

My brother wisdom is profitable!

1 Like

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Memberclub(m): 8:55pm On May 05, 2020
Jokerman:

Lol... Boredom for house ehn... grin... How far Pjanic for Rakitic
Take rackiti free plus 20 million euros as compensation for taking him angry
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by xandy84: 8:57pm On May 05, 2020
Yes. It's not about God help employees but both employees and employers are hurting at the same time. This is difficult times and we all need God cos we are yet to see the real effect of the virus. Demand going to fall and there goes the job. With 30 millions unemployed in America in just 8 weeks, this is worse then great depression and more jobs is about to be lost due to low demand when everybody resume work.

OOSmilling:
u mean 'force majeure' GOd help emloyee, always at d receiving end.

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by CuteYvonne777: 9:05pm On May 05, 2020
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Psoul(m): 9:09pm On May 05, 2020
You're still a staff on probation. Your appointment has not bn fully confirmed.

Your right in the company is limited.
Don't expect that full salary.

Move on bro
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by b5ive(m): 9:12pm On May 05, 2020
Believe me, learning by yourself is hard. If u av the financial means you could enrol for a basic level course n after that keep practicing yourself. Challenges u face would help u improve. Cheers.
ProfDview1:
That's Nigeria for u... Evil people everywhere

Guys pls help me
If I want to learn software programming, is it better I learn it online or go learn it in a center?

Like how much is needed to learn it in ikeja

Actually I av tried learning but I got bored of it learning it myself

Secondly, someone gave me access to a cloud storage, I can find how to learn digital market, seo and so many plus videos.

I don't know which one I shud take up
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Jokerman(m): 9:14pm On May 05, 2020
nedekid:

That clown called zegedit won't see this... Locust employee cry

1 Like

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Dayg88(m): 9:34pm On May 05, 2020
Ffolksy:
Hi Everyone,

I want to run this through this platform, perhaps I would get some useful input.

I switched companies in March. It was basically due to locations. I was doing fine at my former company. I moved to the latter one because it's close to my house and offered a little salary raise. Turned out it would be my worst career decision.

First week in April after the lockdown was announced, the company came up with a work from home policy which stated that staff were meant to work only Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Consequently, only 70 percent of basic salary (without the allowances) would be paid, and worse, computation would be made for only the number of days (I.e, 12 days a month).

We were assured it's just for the lockdown period, and that things would return to normal afterwards.

Surprisingly, by third week of April, about 90% of staff (including I) was laid off, giving us one week notice.

Yesterday, i got N36,000 from them as my salary for April. My agreed net salary before accepting their offer was N240,000, and that's what I got in March

Considering I'm being laid off, shouldn't they have at least paid the full salary for the month? I feel greatly cheated. Any advice, please?

Thank you.

Same happened to me too. I was surprised. The company, an oil company thinking they would even stay a month before enforcing termination of contracts immediately sacked people a week into the lockdown.

Things like this can only happen in Nigeria. I was paid half of my monthly salary.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 05, 2020
Ffolksy:
Hi Everyone,

I want to run this through this platform, perhaps I would get some useful input.

I switched companies in March. It was basically due to locations. I was doing fine at my former company. I moved to the latter one because it's close to my house and offered a little salary raise. Turned out it would be my worst career decision.

First week in April after the lockdown was announced, the company came up with a work from home policy which stated that staff were meant to work only Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Consequently, only 70 percent of basic salary (without the allowances) would be paid, and worse, computation would be made for only the number of days (I.e, 12 days a month).

We were assured it's just for the lockdown period, and that things would return to normal afterwards.

Surprisingly, by third week of April, about 90% of staff (including I) was laid off, giving us one week notice.

Yesterday, i got N36,000 from them as my salary for April. My agreed net salary before accepting their offer was N240,000, and that's what I got in March

Considering I'm being laid off, shouldn't they have at least paid the full salary for the month? I feel greatly cheated. Any advice, please?

Thank you.

A little bit of diversion, how did you expect Microfinance Bank to pay salaries in Lagos? Some major markets have been closed for 8 weeks in Lagos. Those women can never pay back when they are not operating. How will they pay salary?
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by MiniMiniPoPoPo: 9:42pm On May 05, 2020
Jokerman:
Sorry about this bro...

this guy dey fear ban. na sharp sharp the guy take edit em comment grin

fear fear man grin
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Ffolksy: 9:43pm On May 05, 2020
SpecialAgent:

Dude you really screwed up with the switch, especially in March when covid dey naija. But anyways it was meant to happen.
I know this might not mean much, but am very sorry, I know how painful this kind of thing is.
Better days ahead

Thanks for stopping by. Interview was actually concluded by end of January. Then, I had to give one month notice at my former company, which was February. At the time corona got to Nigeria, we already found my replacement. I was even part of the interview panel.

2 Likes

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Notifydamdam: 9:48pm On May 05, 2020
ProfDview1:

Will ask the person first

Ok. Thanks prof
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by alexvatt(m): 9:51pm On May 05, 2020
Nigerian workers are very greedy. U want ur employer to pay u full salary, when the company is losing heavily. U are not thinking about the survival of the company, rather ur salary. Greedy Nigerian employee.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by LegalOpinion: 9:57pm On May 05, 2020
Peterobi90:
But CBN said no company should lay off without its approval...

And who is CBN to instruct a private business owner how to employ and sack?
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Wendybrown(f): 10:00pm On May 05, 2020
ProfDview1:
That's Nigeria for u... Evil people everywhere

Guys pls help me
If I want to learn software programming, is it better I learn it online or go learn it in a center?

Like how much is needed to learn it in ikeja

Actually I av tried learning but I got bored of it learning it myself

Secondly, someone gave me access to a cloud storage, I can find how to learn digital market, seo and so many plus videos.

I don't know which one I shud take up

hello dear, do you know how much it costs to learn it?
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Waterlrd: 10:12pm On May 05, 2020
Ishilove:
Sometimes the grass is not always greener on the other side. If you had known you would have just quietly stayed with your former company.
His decision to leave the other company is not bad, perhaps he would have contracted corona from there.

Take heart dear. It will be alright soon.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Emmanuelvictor: 10:19pm On May 05, 2020
So he should be laid off because the company is losing heavily. When the company was making profit heavily, did they increase employees salaries heavily? Just wish the guy well and move forward. Do you think it’s easy to cope with being sacked? Why did you think CBN stepped in when they heard ACCESS BANK plans to sack staffs. Infact it’s better you should just pass than this your derogatory comments.

alexvatt:
Nigerian workers are very greedy. U want ur employer to pay u full salary, when the company is losing heavily. U are not thinking about the survival of the company, rather ur salary. Greedy Nigerian employee.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Nobody: 10:43pm On May 05, 2020
iHart:
I don't really get this sacking of a thing. Why don't they suspend the staff? When things return to normal, the reabsorb them. Or are they saying they will start afresh to recruit and train staff when things get back to normal?

The corona virus have revealed other ways of doing business with lesser staff and cost. Nobody employer ever considered working from home...now they’ve realized it’s possible.... u think bank lost money.... no.....
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by blank(f): 10:45pm On May 05, 2020
Ffolksy:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you.

If you feel hard done by, take them to National Industrial Court for arbitration. You might get a better package. Good luck.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by NaijadrivaCars: 11:05pm On May 05, 2020
I had the same issue some years ago but what saved me is that I didnt quit my first job (cant work because you may be needed to report to the office daily). The new job paid well but I only got one month salary, they owe us two moths afterwords and we were told to hold on. Hold on till date o. I just went back to my first job immediately they told us to 'hold on'
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Nobody: 11:12pm On May 05, 2020
Dude, count your losses and move on. You are even lucky you got paid, a lot of people got laid off or furloughed without any pay. Covid-19 has screwed up 2020 for everyone! So many companies and individuals are struggling to stay afloat. You don't know what they are going through at the back end! You are probably an IT guy and will definitely get another job once everything begins to normalize again! Cheers buddy!
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by onegig(m): 11:12pm On May 05, 2020
Focusmind:
I always advise employees, if you have a good boss, stick with the company even if the company is toxic. Your good boss will always fight for you.

If you are in a good company but with a bad boss, you will regret your career.

Employees don't leave companies. They leave bad bosses.

I will pick good boss, bad company above bad boss, good company.

Your boss has a great role to play in your career progression.

Your current boss must have donated you for exit on the basis of LIFO - last in first out.

Anyone jumping coys in these uncertain period must be doing that fully aware of all the risks. A business would like cut new employers than their experienced and loyal employees. As much as what they did isn't "humane" but i guess they have contracts that you must have signed giving them leverage to do such.

He can seek redress in a court of law but he is likely going to be wasting money given how long cases take in Nigeria.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by biafraisdead(m): 11:16pm On May 05, 2020
Ffolksy:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you.
U get money o! 240k + 36k = 276k, na real big boy u be.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by iHart(m): 11:19pm On May 05, 2020
1StopRudeness:

The corona virus have revealed other ways of doing business with lesser staff and cost. Nobody employer ever considered working from home...now they’ve realized it’s possible.... u think bank lost money.... no.....
Plenty jobs you can't do from home. If they could do it from home, no need of sacking them. Just instruct them to work from home. At most, you reduce their salary.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by Teegelop(f): 11:19pm On May 05, 2020
showafrica:

You even get something.. Our own penny we no get and they promised us half salary from the time Coro was still in China because, somehow it affected us. Since January, we never get any kobo. I have noticed that private companies always want to cheat there staffs, i dont know why. I would have preferred they lay us off and pay us off.

This means some of us are lucky for been fully paid without working for it. Infact, we even querried the management for delaying payment for 2days to the scheduled payment date.
Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by showafrica(m): 11:24pm On May 05, 2020
Teegelop:

This means some of us are lucky for been fully paid without working for it. Infact, we even querried the management for delaying payment for 2days to the scheduled payment date.

Oh yea.. You have a good management system or a selfless CEO

1 Like

Re: I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise by dnawah(m): 11:29pm On May 05, 2020
Ffolksy:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you.
just take them go Court,at least they give u ur 3 months basic salary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady, Olabisi Is A Carpenter & She's Very Proud Of It (Pics) / Fulani, Abubakar Adamu 'Ano' Promoted To Brigadier General In Nigerian Army / How I Got Fired From Chevron By A Gay Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.