Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:10 AM

Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed (1886 Views)

Python Automation Programmers Please Help! / Programmers, Please Recommend A Good Laptop For Me. / Python Programmers Please Help Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Haywhy433(m): 9:44pm On May 05, 2020
Good evening NL fam

As skills are deem very important in recent times, I've been trying to settle for one even while searching for a job. I sincerely thought about coding since it's one of the hottest skill of our time. One of the things that has hindered starting the journey is the fear of my poor mathematical background (though I don't know how important this is). I came across UI/UX recently and it sounds cool as well. Please seniors what part of the programming world do you think I can give a go.

Goal: Have a solid skill that'll put food on the table.
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Tastemoney(m): 10:08pm On May 05, 2020
Learn web (front-end )development....
The skills you need are;

HTML
CSS (with boostrap)
JavaScript (with jquery)

no maths needed

1 Like

Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by shegzhkn: 10:23pm On May 05, 2020
Brother if coding ain't your passion, please stand down, you should know that by now.

3 Likes

Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:56pm On May 05, 2020
Op do not listen to the passion nonsense. Passion is something they say to secondary school children. If you want to learn programming you need discipline and consistency. You have to make sure you practice everyday for at least two hours. Not you do one thing today then you come back three weeks later. It's absolutely not going to work. It's hard doing it everyday but the discipline counts. The hunger and prevailing poverty and the world economy post covid 19 should be all the passion you need to learn programming.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Haywhy433(m): 11:54pm On May 05, 2020
Tastemoney:
Learn web (front-end )development.... The skills you need are;
HTML CSS (with boostrap) JavaScript (with jquery)
no maths needed

Thank you
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Haywhy433(m): 11:54pm On May 05, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Op do not listen to the passion nonsense. Passion is something they say to secondary school children. If you want to learn programming you need discipline and consistency. You have to make sure you practice everyday for at least two hours. Not you do one thing today then you come back three weeks later. It's absolutely not going to work. It's hard doing it everyday but the discipline counts. The hunger and prevailing poverty and the world economy post covid 19 should be all the passion you need to learn programming.

Wow you sounded like one of my mentors. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by jesmond3945: 1:33am On May 06, 2020
I would advise you to know which area of coding is hot. Web development is okay but I think data analysis with python pays more. If you want app development, you can learn Java. But go for python is the hottest selling skill now.
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Nobody: 2:25am On May 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
It's a waste of time if you don't have passion for it. When the world is about to go into depression people would hardly think about normal small software development, they will look for the real programmers (the ones with the passion, who live for the game) brother if you no get passion go try your hand for forex programming no be business, no mind me somehow e fit be business but now people go dey find innovative programmers so choose wisely. Nigerians would always argue but the truth remains the truth on quora or a more sane forum they will tell you the same thing.

3 Likes

Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:30am On May 06, 2020
Ausrichie:

It's a waste of time if you don't have passion for it. When the world is about to go into depression people would hardly think about normal small software development, they will look for the real programmers (the ones with the passion, who live for the game) brother if you no get passion go try your hand for forex programming no be business, no mind me somehow e fit be business but now people go dey find innovative programmers so choose wisely. Nigerians would always argue but the truth remains the truth on quora or a more sane forum they will tell you the same thing.

Bullshit. Op learn whatever you want but carry your passion along with you. Besides which one is normal small software development and which one is real programming. How do you know who has passion and who doesn't? How is this passion of a thing recorded? I repeat passion is for secondary school children. An adult who knows what they want can learn whatever provided they are disciplined and consistent.

The same way they are telling op passion is like telling a secondary school they can't become automobile mechanics because they have no passion for automobiles. I repeat any adult can learn anything provided they are disciplined and consistent. No one was born with c++ in their genes.

7 Likes

Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:41am On May 06, 2020
jesmond3945:
I would advise you to know which area of coding is hot. Web development is okay but I think data analysis with python pays more. If you want app development, you can learn Java. But go for python is the hottest selling skill now.
Python isn't the hottest selling skill. If you check job sites, JavaScript still outnumbers python. Freecodecamp still recommends JavaScript as the first language anyone should learn and one of the hottest fields now Blockchain uses solidity as a programming language which is basically JavaScript on steroids.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Nobody: 7:49am On May 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Bullshit. Op learn whatever you want but carry your passion along with you. Besides which one is normal small software development and which one is real programming. How do you know who has passion and who doesn't? How is this passion of a thing recorded? I repeat passion is for secondary school children. An adult who knows what they want can learn whatever provided they are disciplined and consistent.

The same way they are telling op passion is like telling a secondary school they can't become automobile mechanics because they have no passion for automobiles. I repeat any adult can learn anything provided they are disciplined and consistent. No one was born with c++ in their genes.
I laugh go on its a free world. Discipline ha just go on tell this to hardcore computer science students they will look at you like what? Only those with pass n can go far. This is one thing I've learnt in life like Charles Bukowski said "Don't try" what he meant was that if you don't feel a strong connection with what you are doing just forget about it because you won't go far. Do you want to be exceptional or you just want to be part of the crowd. The crowd is not what people will find during this time when there is a depression facing us straight up. To measure passion ask yourself how do you feel when you program, when you get an error do you do everything possible to fix it by yourself before going to the internet or do you just lazily go to the internet or run to libraries written by others, do you always have a nice feeling when programming is being discussed? I am a pessimist and I would tell you straight up that you will fail if you try discipline that is why I dropped architecture a very boring course to me but it gives money. Don't try but we'll it's your life your business failure is the best teachergrin

3 Likes

Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:19am On May 06, 2020
Ausrichie:

I laugh go on its a free world. Discipline ha just go on tell this to hardcore computer science students they will look at you like what? Only those with pass n can go far. This is one thing I've learnt in life like Charles Bukowski said "Don't try" what he meant was that if you don't feel a strong connection with what you are doing just forget about it because you won't go far. Do you want to be exceptional or you just want to be part of the crowd. The crowd is not what people will find during this time when there is a depression facing us straight up. To measure passion ask yourself how do you feel when you program, when you get an error do you do everything possible to fix it by yourself before going to the internet or do you just lazily go to the internet or run to libraries written by others, do you always have a nice feeling when programming is being discussed? I am a pessimist and I would tell you straight up that you will fail if you try discipline that is why I dropped architecture a very boring course to me but it gives money. Don't try but we'll it's your life your business failure is the best teachergrin

Masa no one is passionate about what they suck at. Every beginner would suck at programming. It's the discipline and consistency you need to stay the course, get better and eventually become passionate. It's hard and many people give up easily. As for using the internet. Part of being a good programmer is learning to use the internet. Even advanced programmers still use stack overflow everyday. The guys at Google, Facebook and Amazon have stack overflow open on their computers everyday. No one is an island of knowledge.

Op wants to learn he can learn but it's gonna be hard. Many people give up anyway. It's not easy but if he stays the course and is consistent and disciplined he would get it eventually.

As for computer science, you do realise that graduating with a degree in computer science doesn't make you a badass programmer. The only advantage I see most computer science students have over others who are self taught is the knowledge of data structures and algorithms and how to apply it to write programs. Data structures and algorithms can also be self taught. The best programmers didn't do any computer science. The guy who founded node.js studied mathematics at the university.

There are tons of first class and 2 1 computer science graduates in Nigeria who are unemployed and can't even write a single line of code in any programming language and they are "passionate".

I started learning to code in February. I used freecodecamp and finished the curriculum quickly and realised I didn't know shit got a udemy course and though the lady explained things well, I realised I didn't still know shit. By the time I got to the bootstrap section of the course, I had built like 4 projects but deep down within me I knew this weren't my projects. So I took up a hotel website and tried to replicate it and believe you me I had learnt more from just building the home page of that site that from the first 14 modules of the course. Infact just building the Navbar let me know I didn't know anything as I was using bootstrap. I quit using bootstrap downloaded more CSS courses learnt CSS deeply including responsive design, grid and flexbox which wasn't covered in the website and you need to see what I have done with basic CSS. As for JavaScript, I have over 10 JavaScript projects on my GitHub and everyday I try to at least build one project. That one project can take a week to complete depending on the complexity.

I try to code everyday for at least 3 hours. There are some days I am so hyped up and there are days I wanna watch movies or play games but no matter what I must do that 3 hours. I wouldn't call myself passionate in anyway, I would only say I am disciplined and I am consistent.

Lastly, you are disciplined but dropped architecture. You couldn't stay 4 years to finish a supposingly money printing degree and you are disciplined cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by shegzhkn: 1:10pm On May 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Masa no one is passionate about what they suck at. Every beginner would suck at programming. It's the discipline and consistency you need to stay the course, get better and eventually become passionate. It's hard and many people give up easily. As for using the internet. Part of being a good programmer is learning to use the internet. Even advanced programmers still use stack overflow everyday. The guys at Google, Facebook and Amazon have stack overflow open on their computers everyday. No one is an island of knowledge.

Op wants to learn he can learn but it's gonna be hard. Many people give up anyway. It's not easy but if he stays the course and is consistent and disciplined he would get it eventually.

As for computer science, you do realise that graduating with a degree in computer science doesn't make you a badass programmer. The only advantage I see most computer science students have over others who are self taught is the knowledge of data structures and algorithms and how to apply it to write programs. Data structures and algorithms can also be self taught. The best programmers didn't do any computer science. The guy who founded node.js studied mathematics at the university.

There are tons of first class and 2 1 computer science graduates in Nigeria who are unemployed and can't even write a single line of code in any programming language and they are "passionate".

I started learning to code in February. I used freecodecamp and finished the curriculum quickly and realised I didn't know shit got a udemy course and though the lady explained things well, I realised I didn't still know shit. By the time I got to the bootstrap section of the course, I had built like 4 projects but deep down within me I knew this weren't my projects. So I took up a hotel website and tried to replicate it and believe you me I had learnt more from just building the home page of that site that from the first 14 modules of the course. Infact just building the Navbar let me know I didn't know anything as I was using bootstrap. I quit using bootstrap downloaded more CSS courses learnt CSS deeply including responsive design, grid and flexbox which wasn't covered in the website and you need to see what I have done with basic CSS. As for JavaScript, I have over 10 JavaScript projects on my GitHub and everyday I try to at least build one project. That one project can take a week to complete depending on the complexity.

I try to code everyday for at least 3 hours. There are some days I am so hyped up and there are days I wanna watch movies or play games but no matter what I must do that 3 hours. I wouldn't call myself passionate in anyway, I would only say I am disciplined and I am consistent.

Lastly, you are disciplined but dropped architecture. You couldn't stay 4 years to finish a supposingly money printing degree and you are disciplined cheesy
I wouldn't like this convo to go further, you started learning coding few weeks ago and you r here arguing with ur grandfathers.

Now go and read about dunnings kruger effect.

2 Likes

Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:16pm On May 06, 2020
shegzhkn:

I wouldn't like this convo to go further, you started learning coding few weeks ago and you r here arguing with ur grandfathers.

You a grandfather based on what. How many operating systems have you created? How many Robots have you built? How many programming languages have you created? Duning Kruger effect with response to programming. You guys on this section really overestimate yourselves. I can bet you don't even know what you are yapping about.

Op learn whatever you want to learn if you are waiting for a spark to do anything in life forget it. Just take your passion along with you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Nobody: 1:58pm On May 06, 2020
Learn java.
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by pajosh(m): 2:58pm On May 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

You a grandfather based on what. How many operating systems have you created? How many Robots have you built? How many programming languages have you created? Duning Kruger effect with response to programming. You guys on this section really overestimate yourselves. I can bet you don't even know what you are yapping about.

Op learn whatever you want to learn if you are waiting for a spark to do anything in life forget it. Just take your passion along with you.

No quarrels gentleman ... I hate to see a situation like this .. But bro that was a kinda compound statement ... chai ... programmers have their ethics and discipline is on of them ... We're all one .. learning never ends
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:00pm On May 06, 2020
pajosh:

No quarrels gentleman ... I hate to see a situation like this .. But bro that was a kinda compound statement ... chai ... programmers have their ethics and discipline is on of them ... We're all one .. learning never ends
Bros it's a very stupid statement. See how he just discouraged the man immediately. If you don't have passion, stand down. Black people are so wicked. If it was on Reddit or quora you would see encouragement from everyone. People even giving him steps to take and all. Here the first comment is stand down if you don't have passion. Them that have passion what have they created?
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by pajosh(m): 3:02pm On May 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Bros it's a very stupid statement. See how he just discouraged the man immediately. If you don't have passion, stand down. Black people are so wicked. If it was on Reddit or quora you would see encouragement from everyone. People even giving him steps to take and all. Here the first comment is stand down if you don't have passion. Them that have passion what have they created?

What's your stack
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by pajosh(m): 3:04pm On May 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

You are Right but it's just that you're saying it in a wrong way ... Not as a programmer at least
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by pajosh(m): 3:16pm On May 06, 2020
Cakephp:
Learn java.

Wooow ... This Advice Would have been better if OP said he wanted to learn Object Oriented Programming Sir
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:17pm On May 06, 2020
pajosh:

You are Right but it's just that you're saying it in a wrong way ... Not as a programmer at least
Bros I am still learning o. If I had come to nairaland then and saw that comment maybe I would have stopped. I am actually enjoying it. I started with HTML, CSS and I am presently learning JavaScript. I would probably learn JavaScript till August and build a lot of projects alongside. I would pick up react and angular once I am really comfortable with JavaScript before going over to the backend.

I really want to pick up one higher level language between Java and c++ but I don't think it would be possible this year at all.
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by pajosh(m): 3:42pm On May 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Bros I am still learning o. If I had come to nairaland then and saw that comment maybe I would have stopped. I am actually enjoying it. I started with HTML, CSS and I am presently learning JavaScript. I would probably learn JavaScript till August and build a lot of projects alongside. I would pick up react and angular once I am really comfortable with JavaScript before going over to the backend.

I really want to pick up one higher level language between Java and c++ but I don't think it would be possible this year at all.

Bro ... JS Is a blast ... Just gain mastery in it .... you're okk somehow
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by pajosh(m): 3:51pm On May 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Bro ... JS Is a blast ... Just gain mastery in it .... you're okk somehow ... Because data structures and algorithms ..and Object Oriented Programming plus other little things can't be left out
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:53pm On May 06, 2020
pajosh:

Bro ... JS Is a blast ... Just gain mastery in it .... you're okk somehow ... Because data structures and algorithms ..and Object Oriented Programming plus other little things can't be left out
Oh yeah I do data structures too. I use weekends for that.
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by pajosh(m): 3:59pm On May 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Oh yeah I do data structures too. I use weekends for that.
Kudos man .. what about OOP??
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:15pm On May 06, 2020
pajosh:

Kudos man .. what about OOP??
I already covered the module with my courses but I haven't built any project with it yet so I would say I don't know it. until I can apply it to projects, before I can say yes I have grasped that concept.
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by pajosh(m): 4:49pm On May 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I already covered the module with my courses but I haven't built any project with it yet so I would say I don't know it. until I can apply it to projects, before I can say yes I have grasped that concept.

Keep climbing mahn ... the sky will be the beginning of your limits
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Mathematicians are programmers too. Love what you said about comp science students sorry for saying that rubbish about them. They just come out of school with egos. But yes you are right you have to be disciplined too to get the passion for itgrin though I code for about six hours or even longer. You can't develop the passion until you start.
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Nobody: 4:54pm On May 06, 2020
shegzhkn:

No need for insults na calm down.
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Nobody: 4:59pm On May 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

People at quota would still say try it first if there's no spark drop it. Don't waste your life on one thing you could be bad at programming but good at writing, or maybe some other skill like drawing, if you come to programming mostly for money there will be no difference between you and the others but well not everyone thinks like me, I would like to leave a mark on the computer world you may not its choice whatever makes you happy.

1 Like

Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by shegzhkn: 6:42pm On May 06, 2020
Ausrichie:

No need for insults na calm down.

Lol, Affirmative.
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Haywhy433(m): 6:45pm On May 06, 2020
Thanks to all contributors. I really appreciate you all inputs
How's the best way to start? Your top tips

(1) (2) (Reply)

SCDJWS Or SAP - Netweaver 04 Certification. Please Advice Me? / Help With Python Program (simple While Loop) / What's The Easy Way To Learn Programming?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.