Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,807 members, 7,798,723 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:17 AM

How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips (24967 Views)

Are You Jobless? Sell Yourself / 5 Tips To Help You Sell Yourself For A Job / How To Sell Yourself In An Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:50am On May 06, 2020
Selling yourself at an interview is a skill in itself. It’s also an art especially when you consider the fact that many people get it wrong. Their thoughts are all over the place when they have to answer certain interview questions.

Yes, interviews can be a difficult prospect. But rather than go into one accepting any fate that befalls you, you can actually prepare. Short of cramming what to say, and actually sounding arrogant or desperate, you can use these 5 powerful tips to sell yourself in any interview.

1. Look and Dress the Part

First impressions matter, and there’s no better place to show that than at an interview. Think of your looks and how you dress as a CV on its own. This is because employers are always keen to see if you look the part. What you can do is check if there’s a company tradition with attires they wear. Other than that, you can wear something classy like their current employee or above that.

2. Emphasize your Achievements

Employers want to know why they should hand you that special job. When you’re answering questions put to you, lay emphasis on how you solved problems. For instance, let them know how successful you were at developing content that led to great sales, or how you were a key element in various bodies in college.

Avoid empty words and phrases that have become the norm such as “I’m a team player” or “firm leader.” Sell yourself by showing what your skills can accomplish working for the organization.

3. Use Formal or Proper Words

Your choice of words also matter. In fact, it’s a great selling point for your skills especially in a formal setting. Saying words like “yeah” instead of yes, and “nahh” instead of no won’t help you. You’ll sound colloquial and informal all at the same time. Further, there’s a time and place for everything. If you’re familiar with such words at home or with friends, it’s time to drop the act with an interview lined up.

4. Wow the Interviewers with Your Knowledge of the Company

Nothing quite beats a bit of ‘insider’ information when you’re front of a panel of interviewers. However, it takes some research, and willingness to learn about your prospective workplace.

Before applying for a job, gain some knowledge about how the organization operates. This includes key departments, top executives, mission statement, values, and objectives. When you’re asked questions along such lines, leave them awed with the keen knowledge you display about the organization.

5. Be Confident

Even if you don’t feel physically up to it, project confidence. Let your body language blend with what you’re trying to say. Sit upright, make eye contact, use hand motions where necessary, and maintain a balanced tone of voice.

You don’t want to shout or whisper your answers. It’s very important in your bid to sell yourself, that you’re seen to be confident. Although, you shouldn’t overdo it, so you don’t sound cocky. Neither should you drink alcohol or take enhancements to boost your chances.

On a final note, ask questions where it’s permissible, prepare as best you can, and sound natural.

https://patrickokunima.com/how-to-sell-yourself-in-a-job-interview-5-powerful-tips/

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:50am On May 06, 2020
PROMO! PROMO!! PROMO!!!

Order for a professional CV @ Patrick Okunima CV Writing Services (www.patrickokunima.com) and Get a FREE Cover Letter!

Promo Ends 11:59pm 06 May, 2020.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by Nettybrown(m): 7:06am On May 06, 2020
PatrickOkunima:
Feel free to add yours.

Add what? undecided

5 Likes

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by olamidedivotee(f): 7:12am On May 06, 2020
Helpful though
Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:22am On May 06, 2020
Nettybrown:

Add what? undecided
Your input.

1 Like

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by Slawormir: 9:38am On May 06, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by countryfive: 9:39am On May 06, 2020
Only God can help you find a job, even without the above mentioned criteria
Even university graduates are scrambling for 20k jobs
The situation before the lockdown was terrible
How much more in times like these , surely no one saw it coming , let's depend on God for help his the only one who makes way where there is none, he alone can make a river out of the desert he specializes in making impossible cases possible
If you are heavy ladened and weary he will give you rest

19 Likes

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by ogawriter(m): 9:40am On May 06, 2020
Go and learn a high income skill

Go and learn a high income skill

Try YouTube

Thank me later.

2 Likes

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by Smartwave: 9:40am On May 06, 2020
PatrickOkunima:
Feel free to add yours.
sell yourself at which interview? When those with work are even praying now. You better go and find a trade.

12 Likes

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by cbrezy(m): 9:40am On May 06, 2020
wink
Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by mikendie(m): 9:40am On May 06, 2020
Noted
Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by seniormallam(m): 9:41am On May 06, 2020
The topic should read "how to get job in bank & multinationals companies without using leg"

If na government work, you must pay to get a slot.

3 Likes

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by tonididdy(m): 9:42am On May 06, 2020
tongue

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by iCauseTrouble: 9:43am On May 06, 2020
Really, anybody preparing to get a job rather than learning a skill in this generation is a lazy fool sad

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by Davidzy23(m): 9:43am On May 06, 2020
Nice one Op...
Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by EdiskyHarry: 9:43am On May 06, 2020
Nice write up, but all these things doesn't work in Nigeria.
Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by paulolee(m): 9:44am On May 06, 2020
good bt u didnt include maintaining good n accurate social distancing between u and any oda person u see around d company n even the board of comittees interviewing u n u can go with measuring tape to mk it accurate
2..go with customized nose mask n it would be a nice idea if u creast or print d firm name on it n gv some to them as gifts...the list is onpoint then

4 Likes

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by Abaman001(m): 9:44am On May 06, 2020
As an Aba man wey I be, nothing concerns me wirh job seeking oo, as an Aba man, I rather be an employer of labour than being a job seeker...thank God na me be my Bose, I set my own standard for afunja job seekers in their own parlour.

1 Like

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by jericco1(m): 9:46am On May 06, 2020
It could work tho
Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by betterman22(m): 9:46am On May 06, 2020
Nice one though
Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by tym92(m): 9:46am On May 06, 2020
Nettybrown:

Add what? undecided

sign of hunger

1 Like

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by CapitalHYC(m): 9:47am On May 06, 2020
Thanks a lot OP.. It's always good to pick one or two Useful information even from the Trash Can. Many don't know this

2 Likes

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by mastar111: 9:47am On May 06, 2020
I keep seeing threads on how to get jobs in front page these days. I don't think these threads are timely. This is a period when most jobs will be lost. Use your head. This is the time to learn some skills. Skills that that will be in need post corona.

3 Likes

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by Burchester: 9:47am On May 06, 2020
Nice
Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by eleko1: 9:47am On May 06, 2020
sad better Nor go kee yourself on job interview...Dnt kill yourselves on top of white collar job.Dnt go borrow suit.wear fade trouser and shoes wey sole don bend cos of job.Hang ur Pali and learn trade

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by StrikeBack(m): 9:52am On May 06, 2020
Okay. Next
Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by Nobody: 9:52am On May 06, 2020
rubbish.... work in 9ja is man know man

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by IsraelOA(m): 9:55am On May 06, 2020
ok
Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by husmernsheriff: 9:55am On May 06, 2020
Now, The lockdown is taking longer than expected all over the world
The best thing to do is to take advantage of the pandemic by learning how to make money.
As far as am concerned, Youtube is one of the most trusted and reliable way to make money.

I am an experienced Youtuber that make my living through YouTube channel.
[b]I am willing to teach anyone who is interested in Growing a YouTube channel or making money from youtube.

NOTE: There is a little price attached.

Kindly call or Whatsapp this number

1 Like

Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by IsraelOA(m): 9:56am On May 06, 2020
ok,
Re: How To Sell Yourself In A Job Interview: 5 Powerful Tips by Okortor: 9:56am On May 06, 2020
Pray for God's grace to get connected..aside dat, it will only end in vain struggle.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

He Lost A Job Interview Because No NEPA Light To Press Clothes / Is This N25,000 For A 6.30am To 10pm Cleaner Job Worth It? / Npower: Payment Of Stipend Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.