Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,416 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! (10417 Views)

If Peter Obi Win A Single State Outside Southeast I Will Deactivate My Acco / Igbo Investment Outside Southeast Worth $2trillion / We Are Worried About Movement Of Almajiris Into Our Region - SouthEast Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by ProT: 5:19pm On May 06, 2020
Cyberterror:
Enugu is a poor state. Their rural areas are poverty-stricken but some mistakenly believe that Enugu city is representative of Enugu state. Economically, Abians are doing much better than Enuguites though it looks like Abia has been cursed with wicked leaders. Ebonyi is a backward state. Their ruthless governor is busy stealing for himself and his family while poverty and disease kills his people. Anambra state is not where it ought to be but that can change if their people can stop investing in Lagos. Imo is the only state with promise as our IGR and job creation is set to take a leap with the coming on stream of Shell gas and Waltersmith refinery which will create economic boom across the state. Owerri is currently the best city in southern Nigeria.

"Shell gas and Waltersmith refinery."
Interesting!
Could you please throw more light on those?
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by ProT: 5:35pm On May 06, 2020
horsepower102:

How can a state that has 59% poverty rate be developing so rapidly. Thank you for your contributions.

Some poverty!
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by okeyglm: 5:36pm On May 06, 2020
Look at Enugu they are calling poor state. Yemi kale is a concocted fraudster.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by ProT: 5:37pm On May 06, 2020
spyder880:
This is a new settlement in Nike, Enugu, very far from the main Enugu city centre. There's no more lands to buy in Enugu city centre. All has been bought up and are being held tightly.

The owners of these buildings, are they resident in the SE, or outside the SE?
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by spyder880(m): 5:47pm On May 06, 2020
ProT:

Most of them are residents in the south east, the ones not resident have their family members living in the buildings and come back to join their families in times of festivities or holidays.

Property is a constant for people here.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Diffdeef(m): 5:57pm On May 06, 2020
Cyberterror:
Enugu is a poor state. Their rural areas are poverty-stricken but some mistakenly believe that Enugu city is representative of Enugu state. Economically, Abians are doing much better than Enuguites though it looks like Abia has been cursed with wicked leaders. Ebonyi is a backward state. Their ruthless governor is busy stealing for himself and his family while poverty and disease kills his people. Anambra state is not where it ought to be but that can change if their people can stop investing in Lagos. Imo is the only state with promise as our IGR and job creation is set to take a leap with the coming on stream of Shell gas and Waltersmith refinery which will create economic boom across the state. Owerri is currently the best city in southern Nigeria.
owerri is currently the best city in southern Nigeria ? In terms of what ? Be specific.
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Theevilone(m): 6:00pm On May 06, 2020
princdebola201:
maintain it from their boysquarters till oga comes back. Imagine the owner and his family using their facilities daily it means he will need plumbers, Ac technicians for fixing and quartely servicing , electricians, e.t.c diesel suppliers for generators, generator repairers for servicing , dislodging of the suckway when it is filled e.t.c.
All these economic activities add value to the state.

Ur talking about few duplex built for personal use ie a man and his wife and children , u talk as if the millionaires onitsha , Nnewi, Awka are spirit.

Many people don't understand how igbos way of life and u think that the number of igbos outside igbo land is higher than the ones within , well I understand that u guys think like that cos u don't leave ur environment as igbos do thereby assuming what u think .

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Theevilone(m): 6:03pm On May 06, 2020
Diffdeef:
owerri is currently the best city in southern Nigeria ? In terms of what ? Be specific.

Lol owerri is just beautiful to an extent is no where near the best city
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Amumaigwe: 6:04pm On May 06, 2020
superlightning:
According to the recently released figures from National Bureau of Statistics, Anambra is the only state in the southeast with her poverty index within the 0-20% bracket. It has the least poverty index in the southeast.

Imo and Abia follows in the poverty index ranging within 21-40% bracket.

Enugu State surprisingly crashed and is above the 40% poverty index. Theirs is even inching towards 60%!

Ebonyi State Poverty remains the highest and one of the highest in Nigeria with an index inching towards 80%. This is disturbing.

Generally, our geo-political zone ranks third out of the six zones, tailing after South west and South south geopolitical zone.

Please, I plead with igbos all over the country to THINK HOME. Stop aiding in the development Lagos, Kaduna, Kano, etc and start aiding the development of the SOUTH EASTERN STATES. Fine, make your money there but THINK HOME BIKO.

OAM4J, Mynd44....over to you sirs

The confused Nigeria state rejected the statistics of highly rated Transparency International on corruption index.The same country, which is not even sure of their population size, is busy bandying statistics of poverty index derived perhaps through a crude method of checking those that load maximum of #100 recharge card in a month. This is in addition to their terrible reputation for partisanship and lies.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Osaze007: 6:05pm On May 06, 2020
pazienza:

The scenario you described happens every where. I served in Yoruba land too, our NYSC camp was full of Yoruba poor people washing our boxers, singlets, sweeping our rooms, fetching us water for peanuts.

The difference is that the town is surrounded with mud houses. Its in Yoruba land I saw people building a story building with mud. I was shocked, never seen that before in Igboland.

Looool

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Theevilone(m): 6:05pm On May 06, 2020
ProT:

U can only see these empty building in the villages and is most times occupied by the family members
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Osaze007: 6:07pm On May 06, 2020
horsepower102:

I remember those days when they used to claim Osun sate GDP is bigger than the whole south east until recession hit. Thats the thing about propaganda, it vanishes once reality strikes.

Yorubas have never said that Lagos, Ogun, Oyo are ahead of all of igbo land
Osun skiti are ahead of all Igbo land except maybe Anambra
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Nobody: 6:11pm On May 06, 2020
till the methodology behind the stats are published I would doubt it.
Personally, I think the SE is in the best place ever post the civil war. our people are investing heavily back home also-for instance the igbo man behind market square in the last 2 years built a mall in owerri and aba (that of aba comes with a cinema)
,an mbaise man with the aid of the state government of abia revamped the golden guinea brewery in umuahia last year, an Anambra man is behind the proposed Abia airport -and their are many more.
With shell completing it's gas pipeline expansion in aba(down to Ariaria ipp and the osisioma industrial cluster) which has led to new heavy industries springing up along the express, the ongoing Anambra airport, the possible take off, of the enyimba economic city, the completed modular refinery in imo and possible construction of shell's assa north gas project, the second Niger bridge and modernisation of some SE cities and most importantly, the synergy between leaders of the zone I believe the future is bright

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by IDENNAA(m): 6:12pm On May 06, 2020
Ndigbo, you guys are rejecting this statistics that put your region on the same level with NW and NE, but you on the other hand accepted some statistical study that portrayed your region in good light. This single act shows how hypocritical and a bad loser you are.

What did you think your governors have done so exceptionally well that others haven't. From the onset , the south south and south west had good start up with a lot of advantages over you. Over 70% of your budgets still go to recurrent expenditures....salary , bonus , kitchen budget , security vote.

Igbo land is not blessed with expansive land mass , we dont have coast line , our soil is not as arable as some of our neighbors, we dont have crude oil in abundance.....but what do we have ? Human capital. Have we put them in good use ? No.

Please, stop crying over NBS reports and roll up your sleeves. A good example of wrong priority is erecting gigantic edifices in the name of markets, bridges like you have in Ebonyi while your masses are dying of hunger. Like Ehonyi

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Osaze007: 6:19pm On May 06, 2020
manuelreports:

Thank you my Brother
I am a Realtor equally, shuttle between Lagos and the South East. The demand for Land in the South East right now is very high more than that of Lagos. A lot of Igbos are heavily investing at home. This emergence of Nnamdi Kanu has really opened the eyes of Igbos and they are not relenting in correcting their mistake. As for the NBS statistics let us see it as a blessing in disguise, let us now work harder to make sure that poverty is wiped out in Igbos Land entirely.

Op Sorry for Callling you a Yoruba guy earlier
Aku rue Ulo policy or campaign must go on.

Ka Olisa bi na Igwe gozie Igbo

IPOB PROPAGANDA
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Osaze007: 6:20pm On May 06, 2020
SpecialAdviser:

Whether you believe or not is not the issue here. The issue here is that there should be a revolutionized thinking from us. Nwanne, before you build your or industry anywhere, first think of Igboland. Aku ruo ulo ka anacho. There is no denial in the fact that Igbos have invested their wealth in locations outside Igboland.

Hardly do we see others do the same. How long shall we continue to invest outside Igbo land. Igbos own almost 50% of houses in Abuja, yet are seen as settlers. Those houses can be a big turn around in Igbo land. At least whoever want to build will pay some stipends to the state government.

Thought it was 70%

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by KC031: 6:27pm On May 06, 2020
Often times,we Igbos try to follow this their GDP and concocted statistics whatever, Let me enlighten us small on this issue of GDP,A governor in Lagos may decide to tax a 5 star hotel 2M in a month comfortably but a governor in Enugu for example might end up taxing a hotel of that calibre 1M or thereabouts coz he knows that such hotel is owned by an Igbo Man and he will rather wish a follow kinsman grow than taxing him into the government cofers.
On issue of Enugu, most people in Enugu are civil servants, small scale business men and women,and elderly people having their children residing in the cities and mostly Asian countries which is the most in invoke now which might not really favor the statistics but having lived and schooled in Enugu,my dear Enugu indigenes can't be poorer than Kaduna as purported by that list despite federal government presence and projects going on there.That's all I have to say for now.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Osaze007: 6:29pm On May 06, 2020
manuelreports:

You don't know anything about Lagos
Land is costlier in the East than in Lagos
If you are ready I will take you to Ibeju-Lekki, Epe, Ikorodu, Badagry where you can buy a plot of Land for 600,000 k you can never see such cheap land in South East not even in the most remote Village.
You are not even exposed even in your own Land. Lagos has vast un developed Lands

Land is costlier in the east than Lagos loooooool omg you igbos are truly delusional

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by manuelreports: 6:31pm On May 06, 2020
Osaze007:

Land is costlier in the east than Lagos loooooool omg you igbos are truly delusional
Small boy grow up that is a fact everyone knows. Probably you don't know much about Lagos Rea Estate

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Jman06(m): 6:32pm On May 06, 2020
Cyberterror:
Continue deluding yourself over some cooked up stats that don't reflect the reality on ground about Enugu state. Does any family from Enugu depend on you for anything I am sure none does!
But like a typical Imo guy who likes to show a larger-than-life disposition about himself, you're here bragging and typing jargons about a people that are better than you.

I have being to Imo and I know that you're not any better in terms of individual wealth!
Forget all the hotels(brothels) littered all over Owerri that generate only meager income, there's no tangible economic ventures in Owerri. On many occasions in this forum, pictures of wretched families from Imo state have graced the front page as they solicit for help. Some you'll see and start shedding tears! So stop the braggadocio and face reality!

While I agree that the entire southeast needs to up their economic activities, I'll not hesitate to expose your silly assesz when bigots like you try to put other states down just to feel good about yourselves.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Inteltower: 6:33pm On May 06, 2020
superlightning:
According to the recently released figures from National Bureau of Statistics, Anambra is the only state in the southeast with her poverty index within the 0-20% bracket. It has the least poverty index in the southeast.

Imo and Abia follows in the poverty index ranging within 21-40% bracket.

Enugu State surprisingly crashed and is above the 40% poverty index. Theirs is even inching towards 60%!

Ebonyi State Poverty remains the highest and one of the highest in Nigeria with an index inching towards 80%. This is disturbing.

Generally, our geo-political zone ranks third out of the six zones, tailing after South west and South south geopolitical zone.

Please, I plead with igbos all over the country to THINK HOME. Stop aiding in the development Lagos, Kaduna, Kano, etc and start aiding the development of the SOUTH EASTERN STATES. Fine, make your money there but THINK HOME BIKO.

OAM4J, Mynd44....over to you sirs

Solomon because of his wisdom attracted many kings, Queens and merchants..I don't see why igbos can't invest in their region even if its partially landlocked and far away from international waters of Lagos. still we can create or invest in something collectively that will bring many from other States and other countries if we believe its possible.
no matter how unfair the FG treats us

1 Like

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by manuelreports: 6:35pm On May 06, 2020
KC031:
Often times,we Igbos try to follow this their GDP and concocted statistics whatever, Let me enlighten us small on this issue of GDP,A governor in Lagos may decide to tax a 5 star hotel 2M in a month comfortably but a governor in Enugu for example might end up taxing a hotel of that calibre 1M or thereabouts coz he knows that such hotel is owned by an Igbo Man and he will rather wish a follow kinsman grow than taxing him into the government cofers.
On issue of Enugu, most people in Enugu are civil servants, small scale business men and women,and elderly people having their children residing in the cities and mostly Asian countries which is the most in invoke now which might not really favor the statistics but having lived and schooled in Enugu,my dear Enugu indigenes can't be poorer than Kaduna as purported by that list despite federal government presence and projects going on there.That's all I have to say for now.
Kaduna and Enugu are almost mate, the issue is how can Enugu be poorer than Osun State.
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 06, 2020
Jman06:
Continue deluding yourself over some cooked up stats that don't reflect the reality on ground about Enugu state. Does any family from Enugu depend on you for anything I am sure none does!
But like a typical Imo guy who likes to show a larger-than-live disposition about himself, you're here bragging and typing jargons about a people that are better than you.

I have being to Imo and I know that you're not any better in terms of individual wealth!
Forget all the hotels(brothels) littered all over Owerri that generate only meager income, there's no tangible economic ventures in Owerri. On many occasions in this forum, pictures of reached families from Imo state have graced the front page as they solicit for help. Some you'll see and start shedding tears! So stop the braggadocio and face reality!

While I agree that the entire southeast needs to up their economic activities, I'll not hesitate to expose your silly assesz when bigots like you try to put other states down just to feel good about yourselves.

Which entire SE?

Start with your state and leave SE.
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Okoroawusa: 6:36pm On May 06, 2020
SpecialAdviser:
Thanks OP.

Ife Ikwuru amaka. Oya mere anyi bu ndi Igbo ji di iche.

Ifele adi eme anyi oge obula anyi choputara no mmiri aba opi ugboguru.

Odiro mma na anyi ga arukisiba ulo na be ndi ozo rapu be anyi ka ona emebi.

Ejim naka na ihe mere poverty index ji di obere nala ndi South West bu maka na ndi Igbo emego invest na be ha nke ukwu.

Oka mma na anyi bidoro mebe invest na be anyi ka ndi be anyi we nwe indostri fa gana aru oru.
Yana ndi ochichi kwesiri igba mbo fu na securiti di nke ukwu ka mmadu we nwe obi ime invest nala IGBO.

Ejikwam oherea ario ndi ajo mmadu, ndi nto, ndi nsi, ndi na achusa onye obula biara ime ihe nala Igbo.
Ha nwe obi ncheghari maka na ejiko onu nyuo amiri, ogbo ufufu.

Ekelem unu.

Ndewo nnam. Okwu gi kwu oto ka amu nwoke.

Biko kedu afa otutu gi ka m tue gi ya?

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Jman06(m): 6:40pm On May 06, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Which entire SE?

Start with your state and leave SE.
If you don't up your game, then remain stagnant!
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Okoroawusa: 6:40pm On May 06, 2020
Osaze007:

Thought it was 70%
Hahahahaha!

You don dey find trouble abi?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 06, 2020
Jman06:
If you don't up your game, then remain stagnant!

Which game again?

You lots are the one drawing us back?

Instead of working on yourselves, you guys are here creating threads upon threads.

Those states ranked as poor should go and work on themselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by ProT: 6:43pm On May 06, 2020
Golan007:

I mean the houses were built in the last six years implies he boosted their economy.

You can't win that argument.

Either he did badly such that no development came to the east or he did so well that easterners are building houses in such numbers as never witnessed before since 2015.

I think it's more of "Lions not eating grass no matter how tough the jungle gets," than Buhari doing nada.
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Jman06(m): 6:46pm On May 06, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Which game again?

You lots are the one drawing us back?

Instead of working on yourselves, you guys are here creating threads upon threads.

Those states ranked as poor should go and work on themselves.
Don't let that stat deceive you. Your state is not any better in terms of per capital income and other economic indices. Go deep into villages in your state and you'll see many families still languishing in abject poverty!
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Golan007: 6:47pm On May 06, 2020
ProT:

I think it's more of "Lions not eating grass no matter how tough the jungle gets," than Buhari doing nada.

There's nothing like that.

Can't eat your cake and have it.

Either times are hard or you are progressing.

If you are progressing then it means government's policy is paying off.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 06, 2020
Jman06:
Don't let that stat deceive you. Your state is not any better in terms of per capital income and other economic indices. Go deep into villages in your state and you'll see many families still languishing in abject poverty!

Akiko Mike Ejeagha.

Ijiro okwu.
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by horsepower102: 6:51pm On May 06, 2020
KC031:

So basically you agree that the list is making false claims right?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

San Drowns In Lagos Beach Trying To Rescue Secretary / Youth Alliance Group Supports Fuel Subsidy Removal / 104 Dapchi Girls Arrive Yobe To Reunite With Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.