Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry (57133 Views)

Rashidi Yekini Was Murdered – Segun Odegbami Reveals Why He Thinks So / Sikirat Yekini, Rashidi Yekini Mother Living In Poverty. Petty Goods Not Upto 5k / It Is 7 Years Since Rashidi Yekini Passed Away (Tribute Videos And Pictures). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by engroyekan(m): 5:41pm On May 06, 2020
The Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development has placed the mother of late Super Eagles striker, Rashidi Yekini, Alhaja Sikiratu, on a monthly stipend of N10,000.

Mr Olaitan Shittu, a representative of the Minister of Sports, Mr Sunday Dare, disclosed this at Ijagbo, near Offa in Kwara on Wednesday, when he donated Ramadan gifts on behalf of the minister to the aged mother.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the minister donated the sum of N50,000 as part of the Ramadan gifts to Yekini’s mother.

Some of the items donated with the cash included a 50 kg bag of rice, 10 kg bag of wheat and six tins of Milo beverage drink.

Shittu explained that it was not the first time the minister was reaching out to Alhaja Yekini as he was also at her residence in September, 2019.

He said that the Ministry would also be extending the same gesture to the mother of late Super Eagles player, Samuel Okwaraji.

Responding, Alhaja Yekini, who spoke in her local dialect (Yoruba), thanked the minister and prayed fervently for him.

“I have been abandoned for a long time and have not seen any help from anyone.

“I was hospitalised for few days some months ago and I did catered for myself despite scarce resources: even last month, I received treatment from the hospital.

“I need help from Nigerians, but this minister has done very well, especially remembering me in this holy month of Ramadan.

“Since my son died, it has been very tough for me because I do not have any help from people.

“Rashidi’s siblings are not doing well too, so, I was left to struggle for life everyday,” she said.

NAN recalls that late Yekini died eight years ago in Ibadan after retiring from football.

His professional career spanned more than two decades and was mainly associated with Vitória de Setúbal in Portugal.

Besides playing for Nigeria, Yekini also played in six other countries including Ivory Coast.

Yekini scored 37 goals as a Nigerian international from 58 games and represented the nation in five major tournaments, including two World Cups where he scored the country’s first-ever goal in the competition against Bulgaria in the USA ’94 World Cup.

He was also named the African Footballer of the Year in 1993.(NAN)

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/sports-ministry-places-late-rashidi-yekinis-mother-on-monthly-stipend/

38 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by lonelydora: 5:49pm On May 06, 2020
I would have said 10,000 only? But then, I remembered she's not their responsibility. It's just a help to her for having a son who scored the first ever goal for Nigeria in World Cup.

So I say, Well done to Ministry of Sports.

402 Likes 31 Shares

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by BOOOMNAIJA: 5:49pm On May 06, 2020
BETTER LATE THAN NEVER.

Meanwhile, gone are the days when we bragged about arriving from abroad....brag about it now and get quarantined. grin

#COVID-19

Show me some likes guys, today is my birthday.

326 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by SWORD419(m): 5:49pm On May 06, 2020
Such a nice gesture
Kudos to buhari's minister

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 06, 2020
Nice gesture but still

In block => EUROPE OR NOTHING

7 Likes

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 06, 2020
This mama again grin. He should have moved mama abroad. She for be senior citizen today

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by TeaJay6692(m): 5:50pm On May 06, 2020
see how dis one spoil ftc for me!!! crysee how dis one spoil ftc for me!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by signature2012(m): 5:50pm On May 06, 2020
Ok

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by ionsman: 5:50pm On May 06, 2020
We no just get shame for this country.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by Jsucre(m): 5:50pm On May 06, 2020
Hmmmm.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by SweetJoystick(m): 5:50pm On May 06, 2020
Good but what of other bereaved player families? Isn't this ........

1 Like

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by Lamanii22(f): 5:51pm On May 06, 2020
Awwwwn but it took 'em so long.... It's a nice gesture anyway

5 Likes

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by tropaz(m): 5:51pm On May 06, 2020
This life no get manual...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by Nikepucci1: 5:51pm On May 06, 2020
This should be done to all Old people especially Soldiers and their wives not because she is a mother of a footballer.....

Yekini was a proffessional footballer who was paid handsomely by his club,the fa,sports ministry and the Nigerian govt,whatever he did with his money was his business...

If players like iheanacho failed to invest wisely when they are earning megabox but instead use it to carry Instagram hoelosho,naija celebrities and actress then why should them and their parents be favourited for bailout by taxpayers money....

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by Owolabi10: 5:51pm On May 06, 2020
10k a month.. That is quite small.. What can that do for someone in today's economy

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by kafibiz(m): 5:51pm On May 06, 2020
Na wa oh

1 Like

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by lloyds(m): 5:51pm On May 06, 2020
That's how to treat a legend's mother.

Good gesture.

7 Likes

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by momodub: 5:51pm On May 06, 2020
Nice one

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by Hillsautos: 5:51pm On May 06, 2020
Good gesture from the minister.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by Mohammedbodija(m): 5:51pm On May 06, 2020
Wetin be 10k?

12 Likes

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by mallorca(m): 5:51pm On May 06, 2020
Nigeria isn't a country.....sets of unserious and disgraceful people

10 Likes

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by Vlibray: 5:51pm On May 06, 2020
10k to do what ??

13 Likes

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by Chekwube1989(m): 5:51pm On May 06, 2020
What is 10k for a whole month am tire of this country undecided

11 Likes

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by Prechgold1180(m): 5:51pm On May 06, 2020
Space booked

1 Like

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by Nobody: 5:52pm On May 06, 2020
shocked
Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by cuddling44(f): 5:52pm On May 06, 2020
Good move...

1 Like

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by signature2012(m): 5:52pm On May 06, 2020
$25/Month.

Naija Govt wicked pass wickedness.

20 Likes

Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by Birdeyeview: 5:52pm On May 06, 2020
what a kind gesture.
Re: Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry by TotoNaRubber: 5:52pm On May 06, 2020
Are you guys kidding me, I spend N20k per day and you are giving her just N10k per month, come on guys
!!!

23 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obafemi Martins Buys 2017 Bentley Bentayga / David Beckham And His Three Sons Pose In New Manchester United Jerseys / Kelechi Iheanacho And Ogbodo, His Best Friend In A Club In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.