Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,927 members, 7,803,008 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? (17072 Views)

Ever Since I Bought A Mercedes Benz, It's Been One Trouble To Another / 10 Important Tips On Inspecting A Car You Want To Buy / What The Car You Drive Says About You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by BusterG: 7:46am On May 07, 2020
It’s really crazy when you save up or get a loan and end up buying a car you really wish you hadn’t most likely after driving it for a short period.

Okay so far I have personally purchased 6 vehicles over the years and I only regret buying 1.

My wife’s birthday was coming up back in 2012 and I had about 600k to buy her a present. Since she didn’t have a car yet, I decided to go buy a Nigerian used car.

I searched online and found a car I think here on Nairaland. A brown Toyota Corolla 2001. It was looking neat and all and was being used by a lady banker at eco bank, akin adesola. So since my office was close by I went to check and it looked “okay”. I checked out some basics, did a test drive and left. I paid I think the second day.

First two months the car was smooth as I went to Ibadan twice from Lagos with it. My wife used it lightly too as she wasn’t working at that time. Regular maintenance was done and all until one day I think around the 3 months after purchase.
I started the car and saw plenty white smoke behind. When my mechanic came he said the engine was previously ringed and plenty stories that didn’t touch.

I remember selling it off for 400k.

Share yours?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by akinreals: 7:55am On May 07, 2020
My first car was KIA, I regretted from heaven to earth, after that was VW Polo it nearly sent me to my early grave grin grin

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by DaddyGngeess(m): 7:57am On May 07, 2020
akinreals:
My first car was KIA, I regretted from heaven to earth, after that was VW Polo it nearly sent me to my early grave grin grin

Hahahahaha, That VW polo, hhmmm, that brand of car na die

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by BusterG: 7:58am On May 07, 2020
akinreals:

Heaven to Earth. I don laff tire oo.
Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by dicksonadams(m): 7:58am On May 07, 2020
BusterG:
It’s really crazy when you save up or get a loan and end up buying a car you really wish you hadn’t most likely after driving it for a short period.

Okay so far I have personally purchased 6 vehicles over the years and I only regret buying 1.

My wife’s birthday was coming up back in 2012 and I had about 600k to buy her a present. Since she didn’t have a car yet, I decided to go buy a Nigerian used car.

I searched online and found a car I think here on Nairaland. A brown Toyota Corolla 2001. It was looking neat and all and was being used by a lady banker at eco bank, akin adesola. So since my office was close by I went to check and it looked “okay”. I checked out some basics, did a test drive and left. I paid I think the second day.

First two months the car was smooth as I went to Ibadan twice from Lagos with it. My wife used it lightly too as she wasn’t working at that time. Regular maintenance was done and all until one day I think around the 3 months after purchase.
I started the car and saw plenty white smoke behind. When my mechanic came he said the engine was previously ringed and plenty stories that didn’t touch.

I remember selling it off for 400k.

Share yours?

That wasn't that bad, simply replacing the engine 150k job or rebuilding 50k job and life for continue.

Well this is one I almost made but na God save me, I saw an hybrid Honda Civic 2006 here on nairaland for 100k, my plan was to buy and change to conventional engine based on mechanic recommendations for 500k, luckily I met a guy who did same... He said he had spend up to 700k and still issue with electrical etc

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by dicksonadams(m): 7:59am On May 07, 2020
akinreals:
always try not to buy naija used car, they have problems

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by BusterG: 8:01am On May 07, 2020
dicksonadams:

That wasn't that bad, simply replacing the engine 150k job or rebuilding 50k job and life for continue.

Well this is one I almost made but na God save me, I saw an hybrid Honda Civic 2006 here on nairaland for 100k, my plan was to buy and change to conventional engine based on mechanic recommendations for 500k, luckily I met a guy who did same... He said he had spend up to 700k and still issue with electrical etc

You see my brother, when it comes to engine overhauling or rebuilding. I have a serious phobia for it.
Dunno why tho.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by BusterG: 8:04am On May 07, 2020
dicksonadams:

No be lie my brother but when your budget no reach to buy toks, what do u do?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by justiniyke29: 9:18am On May 07, 2020
My Worst Car Was A Ford Explorer I Bought Toks From A Friend. It Was My First Suv And The Car Showed Me Pepper. The First Problem Started After About 3weeks When I Went To Church And The Car Started Having Problem Changing To Second Gear, I Got My First Ford Mechanic And Parted With 25k And The Gear Looked Like It Was Ok Again Only For Me To Take It To My Viewing Center To Watch Ball And The Car Refused To Enter Drive Again, I Had To Use Reverse And Get Home After Waiting Till 11pm. I Spent Money Repairing The Gear And The Gear Started Working Again But Not Entering Reverse. Finally I Closed My Eyes And Bought Tok Gear For Around 130k Minus Money I Spent Moving The Gear From Ladipo To Akute With Mechanics O. After They Fixed It I Traveled With It And Got The Biggest Disgrace Of My Life, I Used 3 Days To Drive From Owerri To Lagos Back. I Later Sold It To Ladipo Boys For 100k And Am Still Been Owed 10k. As For That My So Called Friend Who Sold That Curse To Me, Hmm

59 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by Larwin(m): 9:57am On May 07, 2020
justiniyke29:
My Worst Car Was A Ford Explorer I Bought Toks From A Friend. It Was My First Suv And The Car Showed Me Pepper. The First Problem Started After About 3weeks When I Went To Church And The Car Started Having Problem Changing To Second Gear, I Got My First Ford Mechanic And Parted With 25k And The Gear Looked Like It Was Ok Again Only For Me To Take It To My Viewing Center To Watch Ball And The Car Refused To Enter Drive Again, I Had To Use Reverse And Get Home After Waiting Till 11pm. I Spent Money Repairing The Gear And The Gear Started Working Again But Not Entering Reverse. Finally I Closed My Eyes And Bought Tok Gear For Around 130k Minus Money I Spent Moving The Gear From Ladipo To Akute With Mechanics O. After They Fixed It I Traveled With It And Got The Biggest Disgrace Of My Life, I Used 3 Days To Drive From Owerri To Lagos Back. I Later Sold It To Ladipo Boys For 100k And Am Still Been Owed 10k. As For That My So Called Friend Who Sold That Curse To Me, Hmm

Chai cry cry cry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by BusterG: 10:12am On May 07, 2020
justiniyke29:

My brother,
Una go tear my belle with laff oooo.......

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by nurey(m): 10:18am On May 07, 2020
Bought a Hummer H2 Jeep because of the hype, big, luxurious and V8 engine, thought the world of it and was convinced it is the best thing after ewa agoyin. Lo and behold, it is the slowest car I have ever driven, very big that I can maneuver through some space and don't let me get started with parking space that one nah wahala grin

I abandoned it in my garage and bought a Bentley continental flying Spur V12 GT from the money I made doing a nasty job. White on cream, voice assistance, driving sensor assist, 21inch chrome wheels, custom built finger ID door unlock. Ignition keycard. The summary of the story is that the Bentley is to heavy and not very smooth in driving, the understeer at high speed is violation of the right of a driver, customization is zero as it comes with special suspension parts.
Both vehicles are in my garage in Need4speedMW grin gathering dust

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by justiniyke29: 10:25am On May 07, 2020
BusterG:

My brother,
Una go tear my belle with laff oooo.......
Its Not Funny, I Became A Gear Mechanic, I Cant Count How Many Times I Heard Valve Body, Parker, Gasket Gum Abi Na Blue Gum, Mobil Atf To Oando To Dextron 3. What About When It Started Pissing All My Oil

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by BusterG: 10:28am On May 07, 2020
nurey:
Bought a Hummer H2 Jeep because of the hype, big, luxurious and V8 engine, thought the world of it and was convinced it is the best thing after ewa agoyin. Lo and behold, it is the slowest car I have ever driven, very big that I can maneuver through some space and don't let me get started with parking space that one nah wahala grin

I abandoned it in my garage and bought a Bentley continental flying Spur V12 GT from the money I made doing a nasty job. White on cream, voice assistance, driving sensor assist, 21inch chrome wheels, custom built finger ID door unlock. Ignition keycard. The summary of the story is that the Bentley is to heavy and not very smooth in driving, the understeer at high speed is violation of the right of a driver, customization is zero as it comes with special suspension parts.

That’s not so bad bro.
At least both cars are still running.

1 Like

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by buygala(m): 10:30am On May 07, 2020
I haven't bought a problematic car yet Sha....

But make I gist una Tori grin

So we were all young boys fresh out of school employed in the same office...So we kinda made a bet one day on who will be the first to buy a car...

That's how this my colleague on top say he wan win bet of 5k went and bought one Nigerian used Peugeot 307 for 350k...He told us he didn't buy it to win the bet...but we knew he bought it to win the bet and carry his girlfriend upandan grin

Anyway, the car started displaying Ogbanje symptoms almost immediately...first off, the car radio was dead and nothing the guy did could bring it back to life...Baba was using earpiece and his phone to listen to music while driving cry

One day when he decided to buy us lunch in celebration of his new car, all the car windows refused to wind up and it was raining heavily...We had to go help him source those thick nylon yam sellers use to cover their wares in the rain.. That's how four young lawyers were busy covering car with nylon inside heavy rain outside Jevniks Abuja...People were just passing and shaking their heads at us....Till now, one of the waiters there still looks at me with amusement whenever I go there to eat sad

Next thing...Car will just be on its own and refuse to Start...It stranded bros and his girlfriend along Gwagwalada Express one evening...and he could not even lock it and leave as the windows refused to wind up sad...I had to help him carry waterproof to where the car packed up to cover the car before he could leave the area ..since then Bros drives around with big nylon in his boot..

Bros has changed brain box, fuel pump and all what not...He calls Mechanics and rewires more times than he calls his girlfriend..in fact, he has them on speed dial in case car strands him anywhere..in fact he doesn't go out with the car at night or when it is raining or for any journey more than 50 kilometres....he has been complaining recently that the car slips out of gear and won't enter gear until the car is parked for a full day...Wahala eveeywhere cry

That car has made me really terrified of Peugeot 307s...

104 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by justiniyke29: 10:31am On May 07, 2020
nurey:

I Thought It Would Be That Your Nissan Almera

1 Like

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by BusterG: 10:33am On May 07, 2020
justiniyke29:
Its Not Funny, I Became A Gear Mechanic, I Cant Count How Many Times I Heard Valve Body, Parker, Gasket Gum Abi Na Blue Gum, Mobil Atf To Oando To Dextron 3. What About When It Started Pissing All My Oil

Hahahahahaha.

Person don see something oooo.

I know how if feels bro trust me.

4 Likes

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by nurey(m): 10:35am On May 07, 2020
justiniyke29:
I Thought It Would Be That Your Nissan Almera

I don't regret buying it, I learned a lot about Nissan through it

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by Aaaaarghmed(m): 10:40am On May 07, 2020
dicksonadams:
not all the time baba,some are actually good as far as u do ur due checks and u no rush buy am.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by justiniyke29: 11:06am On May 07, 2020
nurey:

Hmm, I Just Hate Been Kept On The Road By A Car

1 Like

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by nurey(m): 11:15am On May 07, 2020
justiniyke29:
Hmm, I Just Hate Been Kept On The Road By A Car

Sh1t happens, best is not to panic, worst case leave the car and get to a safe place.

Toyotas too do get owners stranded so no big deal

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by akinreals: 11:17am On May 07, 2020
BusterG:

Heaven to Earth. I don laff tire oo.
Bro, u go pity me by force that period, u no go too laff, after the bitter experience, I don learn now, na rest of mind I dey now

6 Likes

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by 2felix(m): 11:32am On May 07, 2020
nurey:

Will u recommend Nissan Almera to somebody? And which year model is best?
Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by nurey(m): 11:47am On May 07, 2020
2felix:

Will u recommend Nissan Almera to somebody? And which year model is best?

Any year model before 2012 is Good. I don't know much about the 2012 upwards, I fear that engine like mad

2 Likes

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by excanny: 11:52am On May 07, 2020
Naija used vehicles are notorious for problems.
This is why I will never buy one again.

Bought one neat looking naija used Corrolla for 500k. Had to sell off after 3 weeks for 300k, thats after dashing over 150k to mechanics and rewires.(The idiots were annoyed that I sold it grin They turned me to customer)

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by BusterG: 12:09pm On May 07, 2020
buygala:
I haven't bought a problematic car yet Sha....

But make I gist una Tori grin

So we were all young boys fresh out of school employed in the same office...So we kinda made a bet one day on who will be the first to buy a car...

That's how this my colleague on top say he wan win bet of 5k went and bought one Nigerian used Peugeot 307 for 350k...He told us he didn't buy it to win the bet...but we knew he bought it to win the bet and carry his girlfriend upandan grin

Anyway, the car started displaying Ogbanje symptoms almost immediately...first off, the car radio was dead and nothing the guy did could bring it back to life...Baba was using earpiece and his phone to listen to music while driving cry

One day when he decided to buy us lunch in celebration of his new car, all the car windows refused to wind up and it was raining heavily...We had to go help him source those thick nylon yam sellers use to cover their wares in the rain.. That's how four young lawyers were busy covering car with nylon inside heavy rain outside Jevniks Abuja...People were just passing and shaking their heads at us....Till now, one of the waiters there still looks at me with amusement whenever I go there to eat sad

Next thing...Car will just be on its own and refuse to Start...It stranded bros and his girlfriend along Gwagwalada Express one evening...and he could not even lock it and leave as the windows refused to wind up sad...I had to help him carry waterproof to where the car packed up to cover the car before he could leave the area ..since then Bros drives around with big nylon in his boot..

Bros has changed brain box, fuel pump and all what not...He calls Mechanics and rewires more times than he calls his girlfriend..in fact, he has them on speed dial in case car strands him anywhere..in fact he doesn't go out with the car at night or when it is raining or for any journey more than 50 kilometres....he has been complaining recently that the car slips out of gear and won't enter gear until the car is parked for a full day...Wahala eveeywhere cry

That car has made me really terrified of Peugeot 307s...

Una go tear belle today ooo.

I don laff tire.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by 2felix(m): 12:09pm On May 07, 2020
nurey:

Any year model before 2012 is Good. I don't know much about the 2012 upwards, I fear that engine like mad
Thanks
Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by BusterG: 12:12pm On May 07, 2020
excanny:
Naija used vehicles are notorious for problems.
This is why I will never buy one again.

Bought one neat looking naija used Corrolla for 500k. Had to sell off after 3 weeks for 300k, thats after dashing over 150k to mechanics and rewires.(The idiots were annoyed that I sold it grin They turned me to customer)

My brother u see ehn. Those Mechos and rewire guys ehn. Anytime I see dem working on broken down cars I go just shake my head.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by dicksonadams(m): 12:15pm On May 07, 2020
nurey:

Sh1t happens, best is not to panic, worst case leave the car and get to a safe place.

Toyotas too do get owners stranded so no big deal

I Remembered when my Honda Civic 2008 didn't start late at night in a rough bus stop close to ifako ogudu ... Omo na so area bus dey show face small small... Oga wetin happen...them go walk away... Come again ask same question different guys, Me just say no worry... Then as time dey approach 11pm omo na so all of them come out oh... Surrounded my car, scary shit.. Imagine Hard black faces,

Men thank God my friend was with me... Last last we settle dem like 3k...to help us use danfo drag am with rope come house.

Knowing how to deal with this sort of thing before hand was helpful thank to my friend, him Sabi them language

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by 2felix(m): 12:23pm On May 07, 2020
nurey:

Who of the Nissan Almera tino?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? by Praxtech: 12:26pm On May 07, 2020
dicksonadams:

So you didn't buy that car?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Know If You Have Been Under-dispensed At The Fuel Filling Station / Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) / Kawasaki Reveals Futuristic Superbike With Incredible Shape-shifting Tech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.