Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,768 members, 7,798,559 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

"I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read (744 Views)

Should I Have Minded My Business? Did I Do Wrong? / Am I Wicked Or Did I Do The Right Thing? / Her Husband Died, Then Her People Did This To Her.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by RaymondFantasy(m): 11:41am On May 07, 2020
"I don't buy cigarette for people, I'm sorry Sir I can't help you" I said.

Earlier today I was in my aunt's shop when it started to rain. I had an umbrella with me and was trying to put away some things from the rain when a man ran into the shop. Judging from his features and physique, he should be in his late sixties.
I greeted him and asked him to move inside the shop and he did. He sat for a while and engaged me in a chat. He asked why young Guys loved playing Xbox cos I was playing Xbox Game (God of war). I gave him a smile and was about to go get something from a shop across when he called me back an asked me to get him cigarette. I was confused and couldn't find the right words to tell him that I don't buy cigarettes for People irrespective of who you are. I stood for a while and gave him that reply above. I expected him to get angry like others do but he just smiled. I went across, bought what I wanted and went back.
It stopped raining and he left.
A guy who has been sitting in the shop all these while, turned to me and said " you should have just bought the cigarette for him. Seeing you turn him down without any feeling of remorse changed my thoughts about you"
" WTH!!! Did youjust say remorse? Why should I feel remorseful?? I don't buy cigarettes for People, is that too hard to understand? Besides I apologised to him and he understood. And you said it changed your thoughts about me, ( I laughed) it's alright."
He stood up and left and I wondered how his thoughts about me affected me.

Please oo, I want to ask, what's so wrong in deciding not to go against my principles?
Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by uzedo1(m): 11:42am On May 07, 2020
No, it's your choice.

Modified

However, do you mind sharing reasons you feel it was wrong to buy the cigarettes for him? I know you don't owe anyone any explanation

I want the younger ones to see some good reasons (health, pressure) why they too can refuse buying cigarettes for older people

2 Likes

Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by RaymondFantasy(m): 11:44am On May 07, 2020
uzedo1:
No
okay would love to hear more opinions
Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by belcom10(m): 4:32pm On May 07, 2020
You did nothing wrong , you stand by your principle.

I have a principle, I can't give you what I don't take. alcohol or cigarettes or any other thing that is against my principle. Even my friends know this.

RaymondFantasy:

Earlier today I was in my aunt's shop when it started to rain. I had an umbrella with me and was trying to put away some things from the rain when a man ran into the shop. Judging from his features and physique, he should be in his late sixties.
I greeted him and asked him to move inside the shop and he did. He sat for a while and engaged me in a chat. He asked why young Guys loved playing Xbox cos I was playing Xbox Game (God of war). I gave him a smile and was about to go get something from a shop across when he called me back an asked me to get him cigarette. I was confused and couldn't find the right words to tell him that I don't buy cigarettes for People irrespective of who you are. I stood for a while and gave him that reply above. I expected him to get angry like others do but he just smiled. I went across, bought what I wanted and went back.
A guy who has been sitting in the shop all these while, turned to me and said " you should have just bought the cigarette for him. Seeing you turn him down without any feeling of remorse changed my thoughts about you"
" WTH!!! Did youjust say remorse? Why should I feel remorseful?? I don't buy cigarettes for People, is that too hard to understand? Besides I apologised to him and he understood. And you said it changed your thoughts about me, ( I laughed) it's alright."

Please oo, I want to ask, what's so wrong in deciding not to go against my principles?

2 Likes

Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by crackkhaus: 4:44pm On May 07, 2020
Intereting stuff...

A case of morality versus kindness, which can be a tricky situation to be in.
Personally, I will say it depends on the relationship I have with the person asking.

A random stranger asking me to help him pay for a cigarette, I can very well refuse on the grounds of his own lack of civility...not on the grounds of personal principle.

Alternatively, if it were a friend and if this was the first time he's asking, I'll pay for it and then use the opportunity to talk to him about the dangers of smoking, right there or at a later time.
The idea here is, people are more amenable to your advise/suggestions when they feel you're not judging them...and by getting him the cigarette, I would have broken past the first and most important barrier.

Even if he decides not to stop smoking after the talk, he surely won't want to ask me to pay for his cigarette at another time simply to avoid giving me the chance to talk to him about smoking.

6 Likes

Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by Nobody: 2:00pm On May 10, 2020
RaymondFantasy:

This story has made me not to like you! lipsrsealed cry
Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by bukatyne(f): 2:09pm On May 10, 2020
RaymondFantasy:

Good one.

I don't give people what I do not take/use except if it is out of personal choice.
Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by crackkhaus: 2:18pm On May 10, 2020
merahki:

This story has made me not to like you! lipsrsealed cry
Lol, mon catty... cheesy

Anytime you tell someone you don't like them, what reaction are you expecting exactly? grin
Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by Nobody: 2:22pm On May 10, 2020
crackkhaus:

Lol, mon catty... cheesy

Anytime you tell someone you don't like them, what reaction are you expecting exactly? grin

I dunno...nothing really, at least I would have let it out? cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/5841694/craziest-thing-partner-ever-asked/22#89355809 is a lot of fun.
Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by crackkhaus: 2:34pm On May 10, 2020
merahki:

I dunno...nothing really, at least I would have let it out? cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/5841694/craziest-thing-partner-ever-asked/22#89355809 is a lot of fun.
I started following it before it got to front page, haven't gone through the entire thing though cheesy
Almost every reply has to do with sex... grin

2 Likes

Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by ibkayee(f): 2:37pm On May 10, 2020
Nothing wrong with what you did if it goes against whatever principles you have...some people may think you're overdoing it/it's a bit overkill though, but I don't see anything wrong in it as long as you weren't rude

Why do you have an issue with buying cigarettes for people? Where do the principles stem from? Is it a moral thing? Religious thing? Not wanting to be complicit in enabling an unhealthy lifestyle thing? Don't want to be associated with cigarettes because of the way you may be perceived thing?

I've come across a lot of Nigerians who act like smoking is a personality trait, whenever they 'go against it', you'd think they just stood up to trafficking or something lol

Jokes aside, it's your personal decision, no big deal
Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by sisisioge: 2:57pm On May 10, 2020
Well, I know people who do not touch alcohol or cigs for religious reasons, they won't even work in companies that produce same. So, no problem there. However, I hope you said it as nicely as....

Sorry sir, due to my religion (or whatever reasons) I do not touch cigs. I hope you understand sir.

Life gets simpler as we experience it more. May time leave pleasant marks in us.
Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by Nobody: 3:13pm On May 10, 2020
crackkhaus:

I started following it before it got to front page, haven't gone through the entire thing though cheesy
Almost every reply has to do with sex... grin

One was about guns and cults though cheesy
I nearly did “pass out” from laughing. Some posts are sick too and just leave you astounded.
I wish the family section people had threads like these.
But I am on a search for more romance threads like this one!
Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by crackkhaus: 4:22pm On May 10, 2020
merahki:

One was about guns and cults though cheesy
I nearly did “pass out” from laughing. Some posts are sick too and just leave you astounded.
I wish the family section people had threads like these.
But I am on a search for more romance threads like this one!
Lol, please share yours. grin

Surely, you must have more than one of such crazy things asked of you by your partner...no?
Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by PureGoldh(m): 4:41pm On May 10, 2020
Not at all.... it's your life..you are free to live it anyhow you want.

1 Like

Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by worworbabe: 6:05am On May 11, 2020
It's good to be principled. You did well.

1 Like

Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by chii8(f): 7:44am On May 11, 2020
It's good to always stand your ground when dealing with people,if not,they will push you around

1 Like

Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by akaahs(m): 10:07am On May 11, 2020
Nothing is wrong with you op.
I have done it severally to my friends who always ask me to buy either ogogoro, beer or cigarette. My respond is if I can't stop U from destroying yourself then I won't be part of destroying you.

1 Like

Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by Lamanii22(f): 11:17pm On May 11, 2020
Same here too.... I'd simply tell you I can't and say I'm sorry afterwards. No matter how old you may be I don't care, it's my principle and I live by it!

You did nothing wrong jare, don't mind that other guy he just wants you to feel bad... He should have offered to help the said man then...
Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by jeff1607(m): 4:00am On May 12, 2020
stopped reading when I saw God of War on Xbox
Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by RaymondFantasy(m): 8:38am On May 12, 2020
jeff1607:
stopped reading when I saw God of War on Xbox
so God of war nor dey Xbox ni?
Re: "I Don't Buy Cigarette For People,did I Go Against My Principle? Must Read by jeff1607(m): 9:22am On May 12, 2020
RaymondFantasy:
so God of war nor dey Xbox ni?

God of war on Xbox, it is an exclusive to Sony just as halo to xbox

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Earn Every 10days From Home Without Referral In Chy Mall / After 4 Kids, Mercy Johnson Says She Hasn’t Even Started Giving Birth Yet -video /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.