Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,077 members, 7,807,223 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:17 AM

Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts (51711 Views)

Senator Orji Kalu Reacts As Buhari Re-Appoints Mustapha, Kyari / 2019 VP Debate: Uzor Kalu Reacts To Osinbajo’s Performance, Reveals One Thing Ob / Orji Kalu Reacts After Seeing This At APC Campaign Rally In Ekiti State(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by Kosiso12(f): 11:41am On May 08, 2020
Kalu Reacts, Says Supreme Court Has Affirmed My Right to Fair Hearing

Former Governor of Abia State, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu, whose 12-year jail term was voided by the Supreme Court on Friday has reacted to the verdict saying “the apex court has Apex court of our dear country affirmed my right to fair hearing and equal protection of the law.”

The apex court had on Friday nullified Kalu’s conviction and ordered fresh trial.

In a statement issued shortly after the judgement was delivered, Kalu said his case was a story of initial injustice that was caught and ultimately corrected, a story of restoration, and of how a wrong was righted and how justice and truth prevailed in the end.

Noting that the Nigerian Supreme Court has remained the veritable compass to the highest ideals of justice attainable in the country, he said this long tradition of the court was exemplified in today’s judgment.

“I was humbled by the court’s boldness and sense of justice as shown in my case,” he said.

Kalu commended the Justices of the Supreme Court for their unwavering commitment to rule of law, adding “We all stand reminded of the consistent and strategic relevance of the Nigerian Supreme Court in holding this country together, even in moments of great peril.”

He said he looked forward to rejoining his colleagues in the Senate as soon as possible.

Below is the full statement by the former governor:

STATEMENT BY SENATOR (DR.) ORJI UZOR KALU

Abuja, May 8, 2020

Today, the Supreme Court of Nigeria gave a judgment in my favor, quashing the conviction which the lower court had entered against me. By today’s judgment, the Apex court of our dear country affirmed my right to fair hearing and equal protection of the law.

The past five months have been quite a profound period for me. As challenging as that period has been, it has provided me an opportunity to learn invaluable lessons about our country, our peoples, our justice system and the true meaning of love. I mean love for family, love for our country and love for humanity.

I want to use this moment to thank my family, my colleagues, my friends, my supporters, the people of Abia State, and all Nigerians for their unflinching and unwavering confidence and trust in me through the very testing period. We all know today that their prayers have not been in vain. I also use this opportunity to express my gratitude to the Nigerian Correctional Service for the unalloyed professionalism and sincere humanity extended to me by its staff while I was in their custody.

I must accord a special mention to the Justices of our Supreme Court for their unwavering commitment to rule of law. We all stand reminded of the consistent and strategic relevance of the Nigerian Supreme Court in holding this country together, even in moments of great peril. As far back as in the 1971 case of LAKANMI V. ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE FEDERATION, (the Ademola Adetokumbo-led Court) the Nigerian Supreme Court has severally rescued this country from the precipice. Also throughout the dark era of military rule in Nigeria, the Supreme Court neither wavered nor flinched in its commitment to justice and fairness. And despite some moments of distraction and mass hysteria, the Nigerian Supreme Court has remained the veritable compass to the highest ideals of justice attainable in this country. This long tradition of the court was exemplified in today’s judgment. I was humbled by the court’s boldness and sense of justice as shown in my case.

Overall, my experience tested and reaffirmed my belief and confidence in our country, Nigeria. My case is a true Nigerian story with a bold MADE-IN-NIGERIA stamp on it. It is a story of initial injustice that was caught and ultimately corrected. It is a story of restoration. It is a story of how a wrong was righted and how justice and truth prevailed in the end. It is a story of the power of hope. My case should teach us all that even though we may not get things right at the first attempt, with patience and dedication, we shall get them right eventually. That is the lesson of my case and that is the lesson of our country – that with dedication and patience, we shall place Nigeria in its rightful place eventually.

Before I end, I would like to let it be known that the events of the past five months gave me an added perspective on matters of justice and injustice in Nigeria. I have come to know that the course of justice will not be complete if it stopped at my case. It must continue until it touches the lives of millions of Nigerians who face injustice anywhere in this world. I shall be dedicating my time henceforth to ensuring there will be justice for all Nigerians whether they are in Sokoto or Akwa Ibom or in Lagos or Maiduguri or in Jos or Enugu, or wherever they may be. Justice for one man or for a few people will no longer be enough in this country. A system whereby over 70% of all prison inmates population is made up of people awaiting trial cannot be allowed to continue. Situations where innocent people are falsely charged with murder just to get them out of the way does not dignify our country and cannot continue. Justice must now mean justice for all. That is my pledge to Nigerians.

I look forward to rejoining my colleagues in the Senate as soon as possible.

Thank you and God bless all of you.

Signed by:

SENATOR (DR) ORJI UZOR KALU

(Given on the occasion of the Supreme Court judgment quashing the judgment of a lower court entered against him on December 5, 2019)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2020/05/08/kalu-reacts-says-supreme-court-has-affirmed-my-right-to-fair-hearing/amp/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by dangermouse(m): 12:16pm On May 08, 2020
Go and sin no more. We all know u are guilty before, so are all the other saints in this government.

124 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by olasco18(m): 12:16pm On May 08, 2020
So
Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by PericomaNwankwo: 12:16pm On May 08, 2020
Nawaooooooo, this man deserves more than 12 years but when you consider politicians that have done worse but got away with it, justice seems useless

Meanwhile the Presidency have been trying to stop Mazi Nnamdi Kanu from speaking the truth, they have even reached out for a compromise but MNK insists on referendum .

They should know that releasing the corrupt Orji Kalu won't stop MNK from crushing the zoo(toilet trash can) called Nigeria.

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by Balaxx: 12:16pm On May 08, 2020
Ehen mk we fry granite??

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by sharonihemena: 12:16pm On May 08, 2020
Their interest is the jurisdiction of the judge who gave the judgment, and not if the Thief actually stole his State dry. Hope the reassigned case will also be given accelerated hearing? Shame on Tanko led Supreme Court.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by BecomeALandLord(m): 12:16pm On May 08, 2020
Haaaaaaaaaa...!!
Naija my country, I hail una..!!
So Orji Uzor will gradually walk home a free man? grin
See levels ooh..!! grin

Meanwhile we sell genuine lands and houses within estates at various locations across Nigeria.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by SpaceX: 12:17pm On May 08, 2020
Hmm, meaning all I have to do is join politics, loot the government pocket and spend some months in jail and get free for stealing. Bravo! I love this country.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by Kingpele(m): 12:17pm On May 08, 2020
Ok shame on u, u weren't aquited of your crimes against your own state, they ordered re trial on the basis that the judge who put u behind bars are not qualified to be on the seat, so you might still end up in jail, but even if u escape man justice there is one judge up there whom no one can bribe on your behalf, he will treat u as you treated public funds

71 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by peter6441(m): 12:17pm On May 08, 2020
It is well

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by HajiMT: 12:17pm On May 08, 2020
It is not yet over senator. All I know is that a crook will not go unpunished

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by hezy4real01(m): 12:17pm On May 08, 2020
Well.... This is Nigeria! We have many dangerous people like Kalu who are walking freely sha

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by Fosterica(m): 12:17pm On May 08, 2020
And handset snatchers are lavishing in pit called jail...

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by Shuggaa: 12:17pm On May 08, 2020
Ritualist

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by ETWs: 12:17pm On May 08, 2020
Dem: To make it look real, you have to go to jail first. Then later you will be out.

OUK: OK no problem if you are sure.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by manforgu: 12:17pm On May 08, 2020
Good for him
Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by ruffhandu: 12:18pm On May 08, 2020
The judgment has simply been Rigged.
Fresh trial indeed, why not Kuku aquit him of all charges. The fresh judgement will be ready to be delivered perhaps after 10 years. If not in his favour, the appeal court will rule after another 10 years or so (if he still lives). If still not in his favour, Supreme Court court will hold back judgement because he would have died of "natural causes" before they are ready.

Scam of a country.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by peter6441(m): 12:18pm On May 08, 2020
It is well.
Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by Thecvbankng: 12:18pm On May 08, 2020
Welcome back. Nothing beats being free.

Check my signature for resume, cover letter, business plan & proposal writing.
Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by Nobody: 12:18pm On May 08, 2020
what a joke of a country!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by Ijawwomaninoyo: 12:18pm On May 08, 2020
No jail term anywhere joor!
Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by constant1960: 12:18pm On May 08, 2020
Abeg who get African China music

"Food no dey Water no dey"

Omo, we are on our own in this country

Hit like for me Is my baby birthday

31 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by SmartProf(m): 12:18pm On May 08, 2020
From what I read up there, the supreme Court has not acquitted him, but only ordered that the case be reassigned for trial

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by Covidhunger20: 12:19pm On May 08, 2020
Fresh trial again. Happy legal team.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by PortHarcourt1st: 12:19pm On May 08, 2020
Abia people and their state are the losers.This man single handedly looted Abia state and set the tone that brought other incompetent failures and looters like TA Orji and now Okezie.

These people are responsible for making Abia state the shithole of Nigeria and also the worst state in Nigeria. See the face of Aba, which is the main town of Abia state.

With this court ruling Abia state leaders are empowered even more to continue wrecking Abia state.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by ignis: 12:19pm On May 08, 2020
I am usually surprised on the level of boldness and confidence exhibited by criminals who loot public funds without apology in Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by kolafolabi(m): 12:19pm On May 08, 2020
Join APC and be freed from all sins

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Victory: Orji Uzor Kalu Reacts by ebujany(m): 12:19pm On May 08, 2020
Nigeria , what a joke of a country. We knew it, orji uzor going to prison is impossible

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Simon Ekpa, 96 Others Declared Wanted By DHQ (Names & Pictures) / Fayose Stops His Convoy To Interact With An Old Woman In Ekiti / APC's Reaction To The Signing Of The 2016 Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.