Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,842 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship (24672 Views)

The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by illicit(m): 3:27pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

So why weren't Yoruba kings called Oba till recently? the title Oba was adopted by the Yorubas in the 20th century..

you are still confused.

any king in Yoruba land is an Oba no matter the title adopted.

Oba simply means the presiding one. it is as old as the language.

the only place where oba is specifically used as a title in Yoruba land is in Lagos. Oba of Lagos, the previous title for the king of Lagos island was Eleko of Eko. ( The owner of Eko)

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 3:30pm On May 10, 2020
illicit:

you are the confused one here.

Oba means king.

Now kings have different titles.

you should understand now

No its Yorubas that are confused..
now u saying Oba is not a title in Yoruba it just means ruler?
I'm saying its a title Yoruba kings adopted from Benin..

can you explain why Yoruba kings were not refered to as Oba till around the 20th century?

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 3:34pm On May 10, 2020
TAO11:

Gay-boy! cheesy

He hates to be exposed!

I won't stop exposing you until you stop lying!

transgendered
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:34pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

So why weren't Yoruba kings called Oba till recently? the title Oba was adopted by the Yorubas in the 20th century..
was the title otunba, oja oba,abobaku also adopted in the 20th century. Can u prove it. How can a word adopted mean something in the language but u that claimed u own the word doesn’t mean shit in ur language. Is there any word relating to oba in Benin language except the omo noba nedo.

5 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by illicit(m): 3:35pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

can you explain why Yoruba kings were not refered to as Oba till around the 20th century?

what does oba mean in ur language.

Oba is as old as Yoruba language.

3 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:36pm On May 10, 2020
illicit:

you are still confused.

the only place where oba is specifically used as a title in Yoruba land is in Lagos. Oba of Lagos, the previous title for the king of Lagos island was Eleko of Eko. ( The owner of Eko)
oba of Lagos is English derived just like oba of Benin. His real title is eleko of Eko.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 3:36pm On May 10, 2020
illicit:

you are still confused.

If Oba means ruler but Yoruba kings never added it to their names till around the 20th century after Benin Kings had popularized the title.. so the title was adopted by the Yoruba kings from the Benin kings..
in Edo language, Omonoba Nedo means the shinning one of Edo, not a prince like in yoruba language..
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 3:39pm On May 10, 2020
illicit:

what does oba mean in ur language.

Oba is as old as Yoruba language.

Yoruba and Edo lanuages just like many languages around the world have names common to both languages but have different meanings..
so your Oba may have a different meaning to Oba in my language.. As a linguistic you should know this.. but I doubt how well learned you are..

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:40pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

ode can u tell me one king in Yoruba that changed his title that he was using previously to the oba title u claimed they adopt cuz as far as I can see the aalafin is still called alalafin and so many more. Oba Lori ngbogbo is yoruba. Ur word for king is Ogie.

4 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:42pm On May 10, 2020
TAO11:
Keep giving them moneywomen17

The word Oba does not exist in Edo language till date. Hahahahaha

Thank you Edeyoung wherever you are for not denying it when I squeezed you hard. cheesy

this edo boys get problem. Oba means nothing in ur language. But u claim people borrowed it from u.

5 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:44pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

Yoruba and Edo lanuages just like many languages around the world have names common to both languages but have different meanings..
so your Oba may have a different meaning to Oba in my language.. As a linguistic you should know this.. but I doubt how well learned you are..
but according to ur brothers oba means nothing in ur language. The title is omo noba n edo. But the Yoruba oba means something in our language. There is nothing called oba in edo vocabulary only Yoruba. Oba is only peculiar to Yoruba.

4 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 3:45pm On May 10, 2020
Moneywomen17:
ode can u tell me one king in Yoruba that changed his title that he was using previously to the oba title u claimed they adopt cuz as far as I can see the aalafin is still called alalafin and so many more. Oba Lori ngbogbo is yoruba. Ur word for king is Ogie.

Why is it when you Yorubas are defeated you turn to insults?
even if you have the word Oba in your Yoruba language, you never used it as a title for your kings till after Benin kings started using it.. You copied it from Benin stop denying..
Oba is a benin word even if it doesn't mean king, it means shining in Benin.. just like Alaafin or Ooni doesn't mean king in yoruba language but a title adopted by your rulers.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 3:46pm On May 10, 2020
Moneywomen17:
I love this ur source lol.

Leave this source

Oduduwa is a political canopy

Oduduwa never existed

You're are yet to cite a benin-ife connection
Through documents or archeological findings

Benin-igala war has both archaeological and written documents since 16c

Then am surprised benin-ife relationships was not recorded at all not even archaeological evidence to support it

What of benin-oromiyan connection
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 3:47pm On May 10, 2020
TAO11:

Gay-boy!

How is your gay life going?

You can't defend the challenge I gave. So you had to resort to slander.

The challenge remains as shown below:

(1) Provide any document from 1500 to 1930 to prove that your ancestor Ekaladerhan really existed.

(2) Provide any document from 1500 to 1930 to prove that Eweka has parents /s.

(3) Provide any document from 1500 to 1930 to prove that Eweka coined the word "Oba" for the Edos after the Yorubas have been using the word for millennia.

You have a prize of $700 to grab if you prove any one of the foregoing.

Dummie

Gregboy not gayboy

Get sense

She male
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:49pm On May 10, 2020
If u check edo well and edo related people like uhrobo u will know that edo boys are just lying are being deceitful here. Edo word for king is ogie. Uhrobo a related group word for king is Ovie. Itsekiri called their king ogiamen king of the water. According to edo before oba dynasty their king was called ogiso king of the sky. Oba has no meaning in their language but Yoruba oba has a meaning. There is several title relating to oba like Otunba. In the old days of oyo those who die with the king are called abobaku. It’s obvious as Bleep who owns the world at least relating to leadership. Cuz it doesn’t even mean anything relating to leadership in edo.

4 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 3:50pm On May 10, 2020
Moneywomen17:

All this one na talk

Prove benin-ife connection first

Because is only ife that happend to have been missing in benin history even igala from the north was documented

Our oba head that was taking to ife was not even recorded by the Europeans
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:55pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

even if you have the word Oba in your Yoruba language, you never used it as a title for your kings till after Benin kings started using it.. You copied it from Benin stop denying..
Oba is a benin word even if it doesn't mean king, it means shining in Benin.. just like Alaafin or Ooni doesn't mean king in yoruba language but a title adopted by your rulers.
u are the one who is defeated. And it’s not if we have the word in Yoruba language we definitely have it and it means king. Here we go again with the lies can u tell me one yoruba king that uses the word oba as a title. It’s always been separate and still is. Ur Benin brothers already said there is no meaning for oba in Benin language so stop lying. Ur king title is omo noba nedo not oba. Oba as a single word does not exist in edo.

5 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by illicit(m): 3:56pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

Ogbeni na crap you dey talk.
a word having the same origin and now u said it means different things. are u even listening to yourself.
what do you know about etymology....

4 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:58pm On May 10, 2020
gregyboy:

All this one na talk

Prove benin-ife connection first

Because is only ife that happend to have been missing in benin history even igala from the north was documented

Our oba head that was taking to ife was not even recorded by the Europeans

my guy TA011 already proved it to u. So don’t derail the point we are making regarding the word oba. Meanwhile the word Oba is yoruba cuz it doesn’t mean shit in edo language.

4 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 4:00pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

Enogie is not king either

The etymology of the word means sent

Guy you are stressing yourself

This yorubas are very cunny people out of the world for king they single handedly picked the world oba for representing king
And oromiyan hapoen to name the ruler of benin king instead of ooni

Tell them to prove benin-ife connection from 1475 to 1914 using either archeological evidence or writing document

Within themselves they know the truth

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 4:04pm On May 10, 2020
illicit:

a word having the same origin and now u said it means different things. are u even listening to yourself.
I swear that guy is lost. How can a word have same origin and mean different shit. He said oba means shining so i ask him what does obaseki means he couldn’t reply cuz he knows he will look foolish.
This is what obaseki means according to google search. 3 different meanings but nothing that means shining.

4 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 4:08pm On May 10, 2020
gregyboy:

Enogie is not king either

The etymology of the word means sent

Guy you are stressing yourself

This yorubas are very cunny people out of the world for king they single handedly picked the world oba for representing king
And oromiyan hapoen to name the ruler of benin king instead of ooni

Tell them to prove benin-ife connection from 1475 to 1914 using either archeological evidence or writing document

Within themselves they know the truth
see painment. U said ur king is omo noba nedo the shining one. Oba means king. The kings market is called oja oba all over yoruba land. The right hand man of the king is called otunba. Those who are buried with the king in the olden days of oyo are called abobaku. But according to edo “YoRuBa BORoweD ThE WorD iN tHe 20Th CeNtuRY

2 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 4:09pm On May 10, 2020
illicit:

what do you know about etymology....

never said the word has the same origin.. my question is why wasn't the Yoruba kings using the Oba title till in the 20th century.. If we should agree you have the word in your language but it wasn;t used as a title till long after the Benin kings were using it..

Can you answer this question.. Benin, Oyo and Ife which one rose to be the greatest and most powerful kingdoms?

2 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 4:10pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

never said the word has the same origin.. my question is why wasn't the Yoruba kings using the Oba title till in the 20th century.. If we should agree you have the word in your language but it wasn;t used as a title till long after the Benin kings were using it..
tell us the name of the obas in Yoruba land that doesn’t use it as a title but are using it now please.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 4:11pm On May 10, 2020
TAO11:

Moneywomen17, abeg help me beg gayboy to chop my money:

(1) Provide any document from 1500 to 1930 to prove that your ancestor Ekaladerhan really existed.

(2) Provide any document from 1500 to 1930 to prove that Eweka has parents /s.

(3) Provide any document from 1500 to 1930 to prove that Eweka coined the word "Oba" for the Edos after the Yorubas have been using the word for millennia.

You have a prize of $700 to grab if you prove any one of the foregoing.
lol

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by illicit(m): 4:13pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

Can you answer this question.. Benin, Oyo and Ife which one rose to be the greatest and most powerful kingdoms?

no Oba here uses it as title specifically except in Lagos. Oba means king. simple as ABC
Obas have different titles here.

to your question.... Oyo

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Youths Celebrate Age Grade In Imo With Guns & Sticks (Video) / Eze Chukwuemeka Eri With African Americans Of Igbo Ancestry / 2021 Igede Carnival In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.