Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:38 AM

Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. (14189 Views)

The Kingdom Of Benin Was A Massive Slave Trader / The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri / How The bight Of Benin Was Named After The Benin Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 8:01pm On May 09, 2020
The Benin empire was a Yoruba empire thorough and thorough. The Yoruba language was used as lingua franca during the days of the empire before it declined in the 18th century. The people of ugbodu in delta state migrated from the Benin empire according to their history and they still speak a Yoruba dialect today. Benin empire was a sister state to Ijesa, Ijebu and etc, they spoke the same language. The Benin palace was a sprawling complex home to over 50 thousand people and all those people spoke Yoruba as mother tongue. It was in the 19th century that edo people from the suburbs overwhelmed the palace. Nowadays some edo revisionist try so hard to rewrite the history as an edo empire but this is far from the truth.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 8:30pm On May 09, 2020
You know history is full of myth

Oya. Bring a video showing. Benin speaking yoruba

3 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 8:59am On May 10, 2020
gregyboy:
You know history is full of myth

Oya. Bring a video showing. Benin speaking yoruba
even correspondence between Benin and Britain was in Yoruba.

3 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 9:01am On May 10, 2020
lawani:
even correspondence between Benin and Britain was in Yoruba.

Lol..... I aceept go and sleep

You think we binis will buy into the yoruba myth
Or did you forget the itsekiri didnt just call us ubinu for nothing,
If not for the British bini will be overlording you all

Confused different foolish tribe hiding on the canopy of a non existed man for political reasons

Moneywomen17 come here come prove the existence of oduduwas and stop misinterpreting urself

2 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 9:26am On May 10, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol..... I aceept go and sleep

You think we binis will buy into the yoruba myth
Or did you forget the itsekiri didnt just call us ubinu for nothing,
If not for the British bini will be overlording you all

Confused different foolish tribe hiding on the canopy of a non existed man for political reasons

Moneywomen17 come here come prove the existence of oduduwas and stop misinterpreting urself

when the British arrived in the 19th century, Benin and everyone else were tributary to Ibadan before the civil war.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 9:39am On May 10, 2020
lawani:
when the British arrived in the 19th century, Benin and everyone else were tributary to Ibadan before the civil war.

Were is your proof, how did ibadan influence benin

You talk is cheap

I. Would stop replying if you keep talking like a kg1 student who just repeat word after his teacher

When everyone talk here they cite an article to backup thier point but you my friend you keep citing the foolish brain of your ancestors

4 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 9:49am On May 10, 2020
gregyboy:

Were is your proof, how did ibadan influence benin

You talk is cheap

I. Would stop replying if you keep talking like a kg1 student who just repeat word after his teacher

When everyone talk here the cite an article to backup your claim, but you my friend you keep cite the foolish brain of your ancestors
by the mid 19th century Benin had declined they were not receiving tribute from anywhere again. Ibadan was the new kid on the block and they extracted tribute from Benin, Akure, Ijesa, ilorin and etc.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 10:01am On May 10, 2020
lawani:
by the mid 19th century Benin had declined they were not receiving tribute from anywhere again. Ibadan was the new kid on the block and they extracted tribute from Benin, Akure, Ijesa, ilorin and etc.

Na true

By the 19c benin colonize the entire yoruba bation even ibadan untill the British invaded benin......

Due to our population our language couldn't spread over those areas but our kingship did

An example is the owa of ijesha in osun state who dresses like the benin enogi

Owa in benin means house
Ibokun=welcome

Oba gha to kpere

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 12:07pm On May 10, 2020
gregyboy:

Na true

By the 19c benin colonize the entire yoruba bation even ibadan untill the British invaded benin......

Due to our population our language couldn't spread over those areas but our kingship did

Owa in benin means house
Ibokun=welcome

Oba gha to kpere
your language was the vernacular spoken in the Benin countryside. The Benin palace was a city on its own and they spoke Yoruba. The British sacked the Benin city not empire, the empire had declined much earlier.

5 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 12:08pm On May 10, 2020
lawani:
your language was the vernacular spoken in the Benin countryside. The Benin palace was a city on its own and they spoke Yoruba. The British sacked the Benin city not empire, the empire had declined much earlier.

Oya post your source
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 12:18pm On May 10, 2020
gregyboy:

Oya post your source

I am posting offhand from research I have done much earlier. You don't need more than common sense to understand. Maybe you think edo was Benin lingua franca lol.

7 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 12:21pm On May 10, 2020
lawani:
I am posting offhand from research I have done much earlier. You don't need more than common sense to understand. Maybe you think edo was Benin lingua franca lol.

Lol, go sleep you need am......

When you wakeoup leave this thread as soon as possible your kind are not found here
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 1:26pm On May 10, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol, go sleep you need am......

When you wakeoup leave this thread as soon as possible your kind are not found here
I don't know to use my phone to post links but I mentioned ugbodu in delta state in my write up. Do some digging yourself, it is not rocket science. I

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by RedboneSmith(m): 8:51am On May 14, 2020
lawani:
The Benin empire was a Yoruba empire thorough and thorough. The Yoruba language was used as lingua franca during the days of the empire. The people of ugbodu in delta state migrated from Benin according to their history and they still speak a Yoruba dialect today. Benin empire was a sister state to Ijesa, Ijebu and etc, they spoke the same language. The Benin palace was a sprawling complex home to over 50 thousand people and all those people spoke Yoruba as mother tongue. It was in the 19th century that edo people from the suburbs overwhelmed the palace. Nowadays some edo revisionist try so hard to rewrite the history as an edo empire but this is far from the truth.

I do not know where you read this, but the people of Ugbodu and by extension the Olukwumi, do not claim Benin origin. They came from parts of Eastern Yorubaland that were under Benin hegemony. In their oral traditions Owo and Akure are specifically mentioned.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 9:02am On May 14, 2020
Lawani , RedboneSmith who replied is not a Benin person so don’t think he is ,or intending to defend Benin

RedboneSmith I believe he is even Igbo but one thing I know he is a scholar on culture thread

Make sure you carry your sense and drop your tribal bigotry why debating him if not ,you will be humiliated

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 9:04am On May 14, 2020
RedboneSmith:

I do not know where you read this, but the people of Ugbodu and by extension the Olukwumi, do not claim Benin origin. They came from parts of Eastern Yorubaland that were under Benin hegemony. In their oral traditions Owo and Akure are specifically mentioned.

Arefada2
Valirex
Sarah20A
Davidnazee
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 10:48am On May 14, 2020
RedboneSmith:

wikipedia says they came to ugbodu from akure,owo via Benin. They came from the Benin empire, my mistake but that does not change the fact that Yoruba was Benin lingua franca in the past. The palace language was Yoruba.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 14, 2020
From ondo to Lagos, then ekiti to even osun and ibadan you'll see some Benin presence.

So of your king's even have ada vbe eben a staffs meant to show allegiance to Benin kingdom.

The only thing Yoruba have is population and because Benin people were kind not to enforce their language to the territories they conquered.

Hence ondo and Lagos would have been speaking Benin

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 1:36pm On May 14, 2020
Igbosmoker:
From ondo to Lagos, then ekiti to even osun and ibadan you'll see some Benin presence.

So of your king's even have ada vbe eben a staffs meant to show allegiance to Benin kingdom.

The only thing Yoruba have is population and because Benin people were kind not to enforce their language to the territories they conquered.

Hence ondo and Lagos would have been speaking Benin
benin empire was speaking Yoruba as lingua franca.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:38pm On May 14, 2020
lawani:
benin empire was speaking Yoruba as lingua franca.
so Yoruba language magically vanished from our mouth? Lmao
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 1:40pm On May 14, 2020
Igbosmoker:
edo was spoken in the suburbs and people from the suburbs overwhelmed the palace recently.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 14, 2020
lawani:
edo was spoken in the suburbs and people from the suburbs overwhelmed the palace recently.
oga shut up
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 2:18pm On May 14, 2020
Igbosmoker:
oga shut up
was Benin speaking edo to them in ekiti,akure and other parts of the empire? Yoruba was the palace language which reflects in their town names like ughoton and agenebode, both are Yoruba names.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Moneywomen17(m): 2:40pm On May 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Na true

Owa in benin means house
Ibokun=welcome

Oba gha to kpere
u won’t stop making fake claim if I attack U now u go dey shout bigotry. The owa obokun is oodua descendant and has nothing to do with Benin. There is no where recorded that ijesha king came from Benin.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Moneywomen17(m): 2:55pm On May 14, 2020
lawani:
was Benin speaking edo to them in ekiti,akure and other parts of the empire? Yoruba was the palace language which reflects in their town names like ughoton and agenebode, both are Yoruba names.
don’t fall for the fake news about Benin empire. Places like Otun ekiti were strictly under oyo. It’s very hard to control the ondo and ekiti people cuz even if u defeat them years later they will fight u again. If Benin conquered those places. The question is during the kriji war that was fought why were the place which Benin claimed they rule e.g ekiti that was not even a kingdom but several kingdom. Why was ekiti parapo along ijesha fighting independently against the Ibadan forces.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 3:52pm On May 14, 2020
Moneywomen17:
u won’t stop making fake claim if I attack U now u go dey shout bigotry. The owa obokun is oodua descendant and has nothing to do with Benin. There is no where recorded that ijesha king came from Benin.

The article i posted testify to the fact edo support a Yoruba nigga to displace a king in ijesha and as a result the benins installed its own king in replacement and that's why the name
Owa obokun and the regalia are all benins

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 3:54pm On May 14, 2020
lawani:

And who brought this influence
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 4:49pm On May 14, 2020
Moneywomen17:
don’t fall for the fake news about Benin empire. Places like Otun ekiti were strictly under oyo. It’s very hard to control the ondo and ekiti people cuz even if u defeat them years later they will fight u again. If Benin conquered those places. The question is during the kriji war that was fought why were the place which Benin claimed they rule e.g ekiti that was not even a kingdom but several kingdom. Why was ekiti parapo along ijesha fighting independently against the Ibadan forces.
benin empire declined much earlier Ibadan was the new kid on the block. Benin itself was tributary to Ibadan.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 4:55pm On May 14, 2020
Igbosmoker:

Yes na according to lawani
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Moneywomen17(m): 6:55pm On May 14, 2020
gregyboy:

The article i posted testify to the fact edo support a Yoruba nigga to displace a king in ijesha and as a result the benins installed its own king in replacement and that's why the name
Owa obokun and the regalia are all benins
ogbeni stop lying the owa obokun has always been the title of ijesha king and that’ has never change. There was not any article u posted that testify any bullshit u claim. The owa obokun regalia has nothing to do with Benin. What was the name of the king Benin replace.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 8:02pm On May 14, 2020
gregyboy:

And who brought this influence
Oranmiyan.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 8:08pm On May 14, 2020
lawani:
Oranmiyan.

Lol, you're sleeping

Go sleep

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

I Hate Being An African American Woman / Court Nullifies Installation Of 21 Kings By Ajimobi In Oyo / Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.