Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,470 members, 7,781,366 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:15 PM

Csos Urge Wike To Review Lockdown Of Rivers LG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Csos Urge Wike To Review Lockdown Of Rivers LG (520 Views)

Rivers LG Chairman Calls Fubara A 'Foolish Governor' In Public / FG Considers Lockdown Of 18 Local Government Areas / Nyesom Wike Has Announced Partial Lockdown Of Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Csos Urge Wike To Review Lockdown Of Rivers LG by Confirmedzombie: 9:33pm On May 09, 2020
CSOs urge Wike to review lockdown of Rivers LG

Civil society organisations and the Media Situation Room have urged Governor Nyesom Wike to review the 24-hour curfew imposed on Obio/Akpor and Port Harcourt Local Government Areas in Rivers State.

Reacting to the decision, the groups claimed that the government policy responses to the COVID-19 pandemic were worsening the plight of the people.

They regretted that government at all levels had continued to revel (in) anti-people policies and directives without broad consultation with relevant stakeholders, as the latest lockdown raises serious concern.

In a joint statement issued by the Situation Room co-chairman, Stevyn Obodoekwe, and Sebastian Kpalap, the groups worried about the lockdown, saying that it would “further create uncertainty and panic in the lives of those whose only sources of livelihood depend on daily hustling,” describing the policy as “very harsh.”

They stated that at a time other countries and states were beginning to ease restrictions, it is curious that Rivers State is tightening the screws.

“At a time the federal government took the lead to relax the lockdown which lasted for more than two months, one wonders why the Rivers State government should be planning at this time to embark on total lockdown.

“What are the parameters being used to impose a total lockdown on some local councils? Has the government evaluated the distribution of palliatives to know who and who has gotten and how sustaining this has been? What provision has the state government put in place to ensure aggressive testing of households in other to detect who has the virus, what sensitisation measures have the government put in place in other to inform the people, especially rural dwellers on the dangers of COVID-19, and the possible avoidable guidelines? How many test centres do we have in the state?” the groups queried.

They submitted that the lockdown was bearing the “back-breaking brunt on the poor masses,” urging the governor to relax it in the overall interest of the suffering masses.

“An evaluation should be done on the closure of the borders to see its effectiveness, as it appears that despite the closure of the state borders, the numbers of cases recorded in the state have continued to rise,” the groups added.

Meanwhile, Governor Wike has advised traditional rulers in the state to raise task forces in their respective communities to enforce the closure of markets, hotels and bars in the state.

As the curfew commences from, Wike threatened to demolish any structures or shops that open for business during the period.

He told the traditional rulers at the Government House, Port Harcourt, that the shutdown had become necessary to slow the spread of COVID-19 pandemic which cases are 14 in the state.

https://www.operanewsapp.com/ng/en/share/detail?news_id=522bc87e2ca9c4219f40b75fd22e1138&news_entry_id=49a2c6cc200507en_ng&open_type=transcoded&request_id=DETAIL_EXPLORE_34a99b2b-210d-4ad8-ad82-4bfb7cb7077c&from=newslite

Re: Csos Urge Wike To Review Lockdown Of Rivers LG by DonBenny77(m): 11:26pm On May 09, 2020
Wike is a loose cannon

1 Like

Re: Csos Urge Wike To Review Lockdown Of Rivers LG by aguiyi2: 11:42pm On May 09, 2020
I doubt if Wike consults anyone before taking decisions.His cabinet/commissioners are so scared of him.I am sure PDP at the national level will be watching and wondering what manner of man he is.

1 Like

Re: Csos Urge Wike To Review Lockdown Of Rivers LG by Willy7(m): 12:56am On May 10, 2020
aguiyi2:
I doubt if Wike consults anyone before taking decisions.His cabinet/commissioners are so scared of him.I am sure PDP at the national level will be watching and wondering what manner of man he is.
My brother he is the only full blown tyrant I've ever seen. Wike doesn't listen to nobody and respects no one, heck he doesn't even know what loyalty is all about. Wike is the governor, deputy governor, Speaker of the house of Assembly, Commissioner, and Covid19 tasks force chairman in his state. The man is a loose Canon. People in the State are not necessarily scared of him, they are just ashamed of confronting his tyranny because they supported him to come into power thinking that they are spitting Rotimi Amaechi. Today they don't know who to turn to for help from Wike's tyranny. They outracized Amaechi and hated him with reckless abandon for supporting APC to ougst GEJ. Today their angel Wike has become the devil himself and they are too weak and confused to confront him. I really like what is playing out today, I always knew it was a matter of time before Wike shows his fangs.
No adequate palliatives, No serious and massive testing, No proper isolation, yet he locked his State down. I pity his end. Such men don't end well. The people sincerely loved him but he is blinded by politics of bitterness and tribalism and personal greed to see it.
God help Rivers people, 2023 is still far o

6 Likes

Re: Csos Urge Wike To Review Lockdown Of Rivers LG by Lawalatm: 6:18am On May 10, 2020
Reality will hit phc residents within 3-5 days into lockdown... Then wike will loose the trust and confidence of his people on the 7th day.... If it persist, wild protest and lost of government control will ensue... Finally, FG will impose a state of emergency in Rivers State... You know the rest of the story. This is a typical sequence of events for this situation any where in the world.

It's only a thought process..... � but I like Wike's courage and wisdom.... I wish he reverses the lockdown immediately to prevent his enemies from taking advantage of his people's current situation.

1 Like

Re: Csos Urge Wike To Review Lockdown Of Rivers LG by kingbee90: 6:24am On May 10, 2020
What is the essence of locking down a state if:
- There is no door to door testing of households
- No sensitization measures.
- NO isolation centers.
- No palliatives shared to every resident of the locked LGAs.

Mr. Governor, stop fighting the Federal government at the detriment of the people you are supposed to govern. Your recent comments in your briefings have shown that you are not fighting covid19 but your imaginary enemies in Abuja.
RIVERS PEOPLE ELECTED YOU & RIVERS PEOPLE CAN ALSO REJECT YOU.

1 Like

Re: Csos Urge Wike To Review Lockdown Of Rivers LG by kingbee90: 6:25am On May 10, 2020
s
Re: Csos Urge Wike To Review Lockdown Of Rivers LG by Cyberterror: 6:55am On May 10, 2020
Ikwerre are oppressing other tribes in Rivers State. When Kalabari takes power in 2023, they will make sure the riverine parts rule for 24 years straight.

1 Like

Re: Csos Urge Wike To Review Lockdown Of Rivers LG by mancanoe: 7:09am On May 10, 2020
Cyberterror:
Ikwerre are oppressing other tribes in Rivers State. When Kalabari takes power in 2023, they will make sure the riverine parts rule for 24 years straight.

Lies, 2023 will be the turn of etche to taste the brick government house... Kalabari should go to Bayelsa and contest if they are running out of patience.
Re: Csos Urge Wike To Review Lockdown Of Rivers LG by Nwaelohim: 7:32am On May 10, 2020
Willy7:
My brother he is the only full blown tyrant I've ever seen. Wike doesn't listen to nobody and respects no one, heck he doesn't even know what loyalty is all about. Wike is the governor, deputy governor, Speaker of the house of Assembly, Commissioner, and Covid19 tasks force chairman in his state. The man is a loose Canon. People in the State are not necessarily scared of him, they are just ashamed of confronting his tyranny because they supported him to come into power thinking that they are spitting Rotimi Amaechi. Today they don't know who to turn to for help from Wike's tyranny. They outracized Amaechi and hated him with reckless abandon for supporting APC to ougst GEJ. Today their angel Wike has become the devil himself and they are too weak and confused to confront him. I really like what is playing out today, I always knew it was a matter of time before Wike shows his fangs.
No adequate palliatives, No serious and massive testing, No proper isolation, yet he locked his State down. I pity his end. Such men don't end well. The people sincerely loved him but he is blinded by politics of bitterness and tribalism and personal greed to see it.
God help Rivers people, 2023 is still far o

You just hit the nail right on. In Rivers State fighting the president is good governance to majority of people same thing goes around SS and SE this attitude has made it impossible for the citizens of such states to see anything wrong with their actions in the states. Wike is using his strength thuggery to cover his weakness lack of responsibility and capacity to lead. No plans on ground to isolate,test and treat COVID-19 cases in Rivers State. I pray what is happening in other high profile state don't happen in Rivers State

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

2023: Ortom Rconciles With Akume / Back In The Days When Oshiomole Won Tailoring Award / Court Reaffirms And Extend Order Permitting Giadom As Nationalchairman Of Apc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.