Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku (903 Views)

US Moves To Ease Cuba Embargo / Ajimobi’s Wife Arrested In The UK For Money Laundering / Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by Beaf: 5:02am On Jan 13, 2011
[size=14pt]Money laundering: US moves to prosecute Atiku [/size]
Written by Taiwo Adisa, Abuja
Thursday, 13 January 2011

The government of United States of America has kickstarted moves aimed at prosecuting Nigeria’s former vice president, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, for his roles in the alleged laundering of over $40 million to the country through Jennifer Atiku Abubakar, his fourth wife, between 2000 and 2008.

A document obtained by the Nigerian Tribune and which was endorsed by a member of the US House of Representatives, Honourable John Conyers Jr. had confirmed that the US Attorney-General had been empowered to look into the Abubakar case.

A letter from Conyers dated January 7, 2011 and addressed to Honourable Eric H. Holder, the US Attorney General said that the US would not be taken seriously in the fight against financial crimes if it cannot deal with such crimes when they happen in its shores.

The letter read: “I am writing to refer information to you by the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations (PSI) relating to suspected money laundering by Politically Exposed Persons. Its bipartisan staff report titled “Keeping Foreign Corruption out of the United States: Four Case Histories,” the Subcommittee details four serious matters involving [potential crimes, including one involving US citizen Jennifer Douglas, wife of Atiku Abubakar, former vice-president and current Presidential candidate in Nigeria.

“I realise these matters raise serious questions and involve matters of foreign relations as well as more conventional law enforcement considerations. At the same time, there is a risk that our ability to promote rule of law abroad may be compromised if we cannot remedy alleged violations of our anti-corruption laws by powerful foreigners.

“An electronic copy of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee’s bipartisan staff report accompanies the email transmission of this letter. The report is also available at the Subcommittee’s website.”

In his reaction, head of media, Atiku Campaign Organisation, Garba Shehu, dismissed the allegation with a waive of the hand, saying there was nothing to it.

According to him, “This is a recycled story. They said it two years ago, and they are going round with it again. But I can assure you all these are mere figments of the imagination of their fabricators. Nothing of such happened. It is just a smear campaign, there is nothing to the allegation.”

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/16081-money-laundering-us-moves-to-prosecute-atiku
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by Beaf: 5:06am On Jan 13, 2011
Its a move by a member of the US House of Reps. Its still got some way to go, but we should be keeping a close watch on this one.
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by ekubear1: 5:27am On Jan 13, 2011
The Senate Report is here:

http://hsgac.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Hearings.Hearing&Hearing_id=dd873712-eb12-4ff7-ae1a-cbbc99b19b52

Atiku is/was a frightfully corrupt dude.

I have no clue if this new story is true or not, but reading through that report. . . bleh.

I have no clue how this guy is being fielded as the candidate of the North.
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by Beaf: 5:47am On Jan 13, 2011
eku_bear:

http://hsgac.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Hearings.Hearing&Hearing_id=dd873712-eb12-4ff7-ae1a-cbbc99b19b52

I have no clue if this new story is true or not, but reading through that report. . . bleh.

You mean you just seeing that? It is a horrible document, in fact one of the four Atiku was named with is now cooling off in a French jail.
If you search around for just pdf's (I've lost the link), you will find the concerted efforts they made to serve papers on Mrs Atiku, both in the US and all over Abuja.
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by Uniben82LO: 5:50am On Jan 13, 2011
When Nijuria cannot even persecute "grin" Cheney?
Africans are really mugus.
Atiku should pay the fine of $500,000 please and proceed with the race.
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by zipper003: 5:53am On Jan 13, 2011
Beaf:

You mean you just seeing that? It is a horrible document, in fact one of the four Atiku was named with is now cooling off in a French jail.
If you search around for just pdf's (I've lost the link), you will find the concerted efforts they made to serve papers on Mrs Atiku, both in the US and all over Abuja.

How much Is GEJ paying YOU for THIS?
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by blacksta(m): 5:56am On Jan 13, 2011
A case of Dog eat dog

Obama is now gej's dog.  How much free oil r they getting while they at it they should also help us look into the case of money laundering by dame patience since efcc have failed Nigerians
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by jason123: 5:56am On Jan 13, 2011
zipper003:

How much Is GEJ paying YOU for THIS?

Good question!!!! grin grin grin. he needs to answer this https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-584720.0.html.

grin grin grin
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by jason123: 5:57am On Jan 13, 2011
blacksta:

A case of Dog eat dog

Obama is now gej's dog.  How much free oil r they getting while they at it they should also help us look into the case of money laundering by dame patience since efcc have failed Nigerians

Well said!!!
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by zipper003: 6:03am On Jan 13, 2011
Jos is like a sacked town. Supplies are running out. Banks closed, market stalls empty, filling stations don't have fuel, Schools have remained closed. The Devil now lives in Jos. Welcome to Hades.

it is sad that whilst Romes burns to the ground, GEJ is frolicking. An absolute douchebag of a man.
May God forgive me for supporting him in the first place.
He's so lame, ggggrrrrrrjhhhhhhhhhhhh

But BEAF sees GEJ AS GOD'S DELIVERANCE MESSANGER embarassed embarassed angry
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by jason123: 6:06am On Jan 13, 2011
zipper003:

it is sad that whilst Romes burns to the ground, GEJ is frolicking. An absolute douchebag of a man.
May God forgive me for supporting him in the first place.
He's so lame, ggggrrrrrrjhhhhhhhhhhhh

But BEAF sees GEJ AS GOD'S DELIVERANCE MESSANGER embarassed embarassed angry

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by zipper003: 6:11am On Jan 13, 2011
eku_bear:

RUBBISH! GEJ SHOULD ADDRESS SERIOUS ISSUES.

Beaf:

[size=14pt]Money laundering: US moves to prosecute Atiku [/size]
Written by Taiwo Adisa, Abuja
Thursday, 13 January 2011

The government of United States of America has kickstarted moves aimed at prosecuting Nigeria’s former vice president, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, for his roles in the alleged laundering of over $40 million to the country through Jennifer Atiku Abubakar, his fourth wife, between 2000 and 2008.

A document obtained by the Nigerian Tribune and which was endorsed by a member of the US House of Representatives, Honourable John Conyers Jr. had confirmed that the US Attorney-General had been empowered to look into the Abubakar case.

A letter from Conyers dated January 7, 2011 and addressed to Honourable Eric H. Holder, the US Attorney General said that the US would not be taken seriously in the fight against financial crimes if it cannot deal with such crimes when they happen in its shores.

The letter read: “I am writing to refer information to you by the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations (PSI) relating to suspected money laundering by Politically Exposed Persons. Its bipartisan staff report titled “Keeping Foreign Corruption out of the United States: Four Case Histories,” the Subcommittee details four serious matters involving [potential crimes, including one involving US citizen Jennifer Douglas, wife of Atiku Abubakar, former vice-president and current Presidential candidate in Nigeria.

“I realise these matters raise serious questions and involve matters of foreign relations as well as more conventional law enforcement considerations. At the same time, there is a risk that our ability to promote rule of law abroad may be compromised if we cannot remedy alleged violations of our anti-corruption laws by powerful foreigners.

“An electronic copy of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee’s bipartisan staff report accompanies the email transmission of this letter. The report is also available at the Subcommittee’s website.”

In his reaction, head of media, Atiku Campaign Organisation, Garba Shehu, dismissed the allegation with a waive of the hand, saying there was nothing to it.

According to him, “This is a recycled story. They said it two years ago, and they are going round with it again. But I can assure you all these are mere figments of the imagination of their fabricators. Nothing of such happened. It is just a smear campaign, there is nothing to the allegation.”

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/16081-money-laundering-us-moves-to-prosecute-atiku

BIGGER "NO-SENSE", Insecurity, Oct 1 bombing, Jos Crisis, etc. etc! and your best shot is CHEAP BLACKMAIL.
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by Beaf: 6:15am On Jan 13, 2011
zipper003:

BIGGER "NO-SENSE", Insecurity, Oct 1 bombing, Jos Crisis, etc. etc! and your best shot is CHEAP BLACKMAIL.

Are you ok? Do you now think GEJ controls the US attorney General and US House of Rep?
Please, this thread has nothing to do with GEJ. Always read thoroughly before commenting so you don't look foolish.
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by jason123: 6:20am On Jan 13, 2011
zipper003:

My friend, you do not look foolish! He is the one that has ALWAYS looked foolish. cheesy
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by zipper003: 6:29am On Jan 13, 2011
jason123:

My friend, you do not look foolish! He is the one that has ALWAYS looked foolish. cheesy

[size=8pt]THANK YOU MY DEAR, YOU HAVE SPOKEN MY HEART.[/size]
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by Beaf: 6:37am On Jan 13, 2011
Uniben82LO: When Nigerian cannot persecute "grin" Cheney?
Africans are really mugus.
Atiku should pay the fine of $500,000 please and proceed with the race.

If the US does prosecute, it will not end with a fine for Atiku. The US is a superpower, its a fact we can't ignore; that aside, money laundering became a very serious crime there after 9/11 and is encoded in the Patriot act.
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by zipper003: 6:40am On Jan 13, 2011
Beaf:

If the US does prosecute, it will not end with a fine for Atiku. The US is a superpower, its a fact we can't ignore; that aside, money laundering became a very serious crime there after 9/11 and is encoded in the Patriot act.

AS IF he Sincerely Loves this Country
GBEMITE AKA Assistant Mend Spokesman embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by Nsiman(m): 7:51am On Jan 13, 2011
I knew where cheney's probe was heading to. Tho cheney's wasn't from govt scoffers
Re: Money Laundering: Us Moves To Prosecute Atiku by slap1(m): 1:36pm On Jan 13, 2011
blacksta:

A case of Dog eat dog

see this: nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-515027.0.html

(1) (Reply)

•jega To Voters: Wash Your Fingers With Soap And Water / Sultan Wants Jonathan To Sign Undertaking / Ibb Faults People Who Blame Buhari For Post Election Crisis.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.