Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:57 PM

Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) - Family (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) (15399 Views)

Three Experiences That Make Me Think I'm Married To The Wrong Person / I Married Into The Wrong Family.. (true Story) / Over Emphasis On The Girl Child. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by Mariangeles(f): 12:34am On May 15, 2020
ibkayee:

Lol I prefer it to American too actually, they sound too cheerful for me grin

Jolly! grin

2 Likes

Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by KevinDein: 4:25am On May 15, 2020
Toxic feminity on display. What an fvcking shitshow grin

1 Like

Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by IamPlato(m): 6:50pm On May 15, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:

See ehn, if I continue to indulge you for these irrelevant quarrels, tomorrow go come meet us for here.

My last quote for you tonight, Joseph. Grow up, really grow, have sense, and I mean lots of it because if you continue like this, you may not turn out well. All these boys sef!
SMH

1 Like

Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by ModestGal(f): 4:02pm On May 16, 2020
Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by Nobody: 12:38am On May 19, 2020
KanwuliaBaby:

94 banned ones and 50 active ones.

I think “Pyguguru” aka “spambottucks”, a moderator, is in love with me. grin

And they were all created in your name? Inserts shocked smiley.

KanwuliaExtra talk oh
Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by KanwuliaExtra: 12:41am On May 19, 2020
Plead:

And they were all created in your name? Inserts shocked smiley.

KanwuliaExtra talk oh

https://www.nairaland.com/4514470/nairaland-x-point-o-10
Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by Nobody: 12:51am On May 19, 2020
KanwuliaExtra:

https://www.nairaland.com/4514470/nairaland-x-point-o-10

Dash me one na.. one that doesn’t have kanwulia in it.

I have only about 5 accounts and this one is the only one not on a lengthy ban. No emails to create another one jare.

Can I send a pm?
Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by KanwuliaExtra: 1:10am On May 19, 2020
Plead:

Dash me one na.. one that doesn’t have kanwulia in it.

I have only about 5 accounts and this one is the only one not on a lengthy ban. No emails to create another one jare.

Can I send a pm?

Dash you an ID?
All have Kanwulia in them.
Negative. No PMs please.
Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by Myer(m): 8:52am On Jul 01, 2020
bukatyne:
Happy Sunday peeps.

I see, hear and read a lot of ladies been advised to 'face their career (which is actually work sef) and think of marriage later'.

Or just the short form 'career before marriage'.

Whatever variation of the advise, it generates laughter in me because:

1. Work/tilling the ground is actually a man's curse;
2. Work is just a means to an end: survival, sustenance etc.

Work in itself cannot give satisfaction hence replacing your family with 'work' always ends in tears.

There is a reason work is often described as 'soul sucking'.

I watched an interview of Kourtney Kardashian where she said as she turned forty, she was afraid to die empty and felt she wasn't living enough.

That is a work/job: it gives you money and the fine things of life however, it can never give fulfillment. That's why even the very rich after they have made money start to look for causes how they can touch the lives of people positively or negatively.

That is not to say we should not be productive or resourceful. Every human should to the best of their ability be productive in a job, vocation or their calling.

Now, there is something called 'calling or purpose'. This is the reason why you were created on earth. People's purpose range from pulling drugged kids off the street, inventing something to make our lives easier to writing lyrics that touch the soul. It can as well be spiritual as per pastors, evangelists, teachers, etc. etc.

How do we discover this purpose or calling?
1. God tells you;
2. You discover what you do effortless or what you are always drawn to. Some people would say what you can all day got free and be satisfied;
3. You discover your talents or gifts.

Some people are extremely lucky that their calling is their work. E. G. Someone whose calling is taking off drugged youth off the streets working in a NGO into rehabilitating drug addicts etc.

Every body has the duty to discover their purpose and fulfill it.

In summary, work is just work: a means to an end of living a better life and fulfilling your purpose/assignment in earth.

Update: Original thread ended on page one.

Drama started from page two. cheesy

How does one find his/her purpose?

Have you found yours?
Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by bukatyne(f): 9:06am On Jul 01, 2020
Myer:

How does one find his/her purpose?

Have you found yours?

Pray to God and ask him to show you. cheesy
Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by Myer(m): 9:35am On Jul 01, 2020
bukatyne:

Pray to God and ask him to show you. cheesy

Lol I can assure you that that doesn't work.

I stand to be corrected if you can prove me wrong though. Be honest, has God informed you of your own purpose? Other than the generic biblical purpose to serve and worship God.

1 Like

Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by bukatyne(f): 10:10am On Jul 01, 2020
Myer:

Lol I can assure you that that doesn't work.

I stand to be corrected if you can prove me wrong though. Be honest, has God informed you of your own purpose? Other than the generic biblical purpose to serve and worship God.

I don't have the energy or time to type.

Please go through this thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/1505626/woman-destiny-dreams-talents-man
Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by Magnoliaa(f): 1:55am On Jan 02, 2021
bukatyne:
Happy Sunday peeps.

I see, hear and read a lot of ladies been advised to 'face their career (which is actually work sef) and think of marriage later'.

Or just the short form 'career before marriage'.

Whatever variation of the advise, it generates laughter in me because:

1. Work/tilling the ground is actually a man's curse;
2. Work is just a means to an end: survival, sustenance etc.

Work in itself cannot give satisfaction hence replacing your family with 'work' always ends in tears.

There is a reason work is often described as 'soul sucking'.

I watched an interview of Kourtney Kardashian where she said as she turned forty, she was afraid to die empty and felt she wasn't living enough.

That is a work/job: it gives you money and the fine things of life however, it can never give fulfillment. That's why even the very rich after they have made money start to look for causes how they can touch the lives of people positively or negatively.

That is not to say we should not be productive or resourceful. Every human should to the best of their ability be productive in a job, vocation or their calling.

Now, there is something called 'calling or purpose'. This is the reason why you were created on earth. People's purpose range from pulling drugged kids off the street, inventing something to make our lives easier to writing lyrics that touch the soul. It can as well be spiritual as per pastors, evangelists, teachers, etc. etc.

How do we discover this purpose or calling?
1. God tells you;
2. You discover what you do effortless or what you are always drawn to. Some people would say what you can all day got free and be satisfied;
3. You discover your talents or gifts.

Some people are extremely lucky that their calling is their work. E. G. Someone whose calling is taking off drugged youth off the streets working in a NGO into rehabilitating drug addicts etc.

Every body has the duty to discover their purpose and fulfill it.

In summary, work is just work: a means to an end of living a better life and fulfilling your purpose/assignment in earth.

Update: Original thread ended on page one.

Drama started from page two. cheesy

There's something I'm confused about... You said working is the curse of the man. Which totally removes the woman from sharing in any kind of work. A woman is not meant to work. Anything that has to do with work is totally out of bounds for her to do.

But everyone has a purpose? Now how do you fulfil purpose without actually working? What is work? Is there a way for a woman to actually do what she loves without working?? If purpose is something that gives you joy, as opposed to work that sucks your soul... Then it's all in the feelings? Your feelings determine what you'll call work or not. If a woman finds joy in engineering and such – is she going out of bounds to work? Or if she enjoys calculating – is she being manly?

I think the only way that separation would make sense would be to conclude that women are totally barred from doing anything that has to do with inventing, etc.

The woman's curse is to bring forth children in pain and to desire for her husband to rule over her. If we are to follow that curse on the surface to a T, then women like the ones in Proverbs 31 and co. are not be emulated as role models.

Besides, this is a curse. These things are curses. Man work; woman desire. Meaning something has been broken from its perfect state. It's not how things are supposed to be. So, why do Christians fail to see it for what it is and impose it as divine? That men should be working (tilling the soil) and women should be ruled by their husbands is a CURSE. Is that what we should be living and propagating?

And isn't the purpose of Christ's death (as that tree of life in the garden) a reunion; bringing back; a fixing of what has been broken after the fall, restoration to that perfect state in the garden? So, if we are in Christ, then everything BEFORE the fall should be our model, not the curses' burden we're subjecting ourselves to.

Man and Woman, equals, are charged with exploring the world, and subduing it and being fruitful (either through kids or having potentials or whatever), at the point of creation.

Our natures are different (though not as WIDE as culture has expanded it into) and our relations with one and another shouldn't be one to cause rift, or subjecting another into a master/slave dynamic.

Family is not for everyone, or every woman, and certainly not always a comfort place for everyone who has it. I think I understand you're talking about a kind of family that makes one grow, and perfect and motivates one, etc. Fine and good. And you should have prolly directed this at women who are family-oriented, and hope for the right man, in that kind of beautiful setting.

We know how men of nowadays are, so when you advise ladies to be anything "remotely" good, it appears as if you're grooming then to be super and porcelain women for these nonsense man-boys around - without you specifying whom you're directing your messages to. This is just my observation: you are too critical of and list many rules for women on how to be prim than you do men. It's like you are both about "ladies-centred" and "balance between the genders?" But I never see threads, etc., from you directed at men, balancing the equation by making sure there's a match in gentlemanly, premium, sacrificial men for the good women you're teaching.

LibChick mentioned you twisting the phrase; I think you just didn't convey what you meant — on this thread o — clearly.

We shouldn't let work steal our joys, wreck meaningful relationships, bla bla bla.

1 Like

Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by Magnoliaa(f): 2:50am On Jan 02, 2021
ThothHermes:
It fascinates me all the time.

They are supposed to be the "sophisticated", " modern", "independent" career women. But somehow, threads by a woman who is not as modern as they are supposed to be continues to bite them.

You've seen the OP's name, so you already know what to expect. The easy thing would be to ignore the thread. But for where, they'll read the thread and make notes. The truth continues to frustrate them.

As the good book says: "we can do nothing against the truth but for the truth" grin grin

Shut up, mister. She's talking to women who for one reason or the other want to value their careers more than a family -- so, she has addressed woke women. And every other kind of woman (lesbian oh, androgynous oh) that falls in that category. And then she's saying what marriage and kids should be TO THEM. Based on her own beliefs (which aren't wrong in themselves)...

So, yeah... she's addressing women and they have the right to respond.

Truth on whose lives?

1 Like

Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by Magnoliaa(f): 3:37am On Jan 02, 2021
bukatyne:

See our efiko, efiwe o!

Children nor de tey big grin

Translated verbatim from my language.

Keep peppering them joor. cheesy

So you have a job, husband, kids and even have time for them cheesy

Carry go!

Lol.

This. Is. Hilarious. cheesy It low-key, subtle feels like saying, "bam! what I've been preaching all along?"

This thread is crazyy. grin

Lemme continue chilling, and reading comments.
Re: Placing The Wrong Emphasis On Work (aka Earning A Living) by Magnoliaa(f): 3:44am On Jan 02, 2021
bukatyne:

Me ke? cheesy

The fact that you spoke ten pages about your family FIRST with pictures is proof enough for me. grin

The thread was not even about family to start with. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

grin grin grin grin grin grin Okayyyy. Dfkm.

I see a common thread in what you two are saying, sha. Una just seem to be sowing different Bubas and Abayas with the thread.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

Only God Knows What Some Parents Are Teaching Their Grown Up Children / Would you leave your husband/wife to marry your long-lost first and true love? / I Feel Like Divorcing My Husband: UPDATE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.