Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,174 members, 7,807,556 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:17 PM

What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That (31054 Views)

What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That / Why Do Igbo People Still Edo Style Of Dressing? / What Do Igbo Men Want In A Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by SymonLFC(m): 2:06pm On May 11, 2020
What is the meaning of odogwu
What is the meaning of nwafor
What is the meaning of odogwu nwanne.
Why do igbo guys greet,hail themselves with these words.

Now I know the literal meaning of nwafor ( a child born on day afor.)
But my coursemate that call themselves these word are not even bearing odogwu or nwafor for a surname.

Please somebody should clear me out.
I am assuming that it is a title, but on the flip side traditional titles are they not meant for elderly men ( something likePete edochie).
Nairalander's please enlighten me.
It is crazy whenever we for lectures every small thing odogwu nwanne odogwu ikaraka.

Thank you.
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by Kenoxman(m): 2:23pm On May 11, 2020
grin NWAFO (not nwafor) means son of the soil. ***ODOGWU Means mighty,great,etc.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by Gwagone: 2:28pm On May 11, 2020
Who is ODOGWU?
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by Kestolove(m): 2:45pm On May 11, 2020
Big man
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by meobizy(f): 2:50pm On May 11, 2020
Odogwu means ‘chief‘. It’s no different from English speaking Nigerians calling each other chairman.
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by LordFarquaad(m): 3:06pm On May 11, 2020
Kenoxman:
grin NWAFO (not nwafor) means son of the soil. ***ODOGWU Means mighty,great,etc.
Hmmm. very enlightening as an igbo guy am just learning of this now(Nwafo nt nwafor), maybe because i dont knw how to write in igbo. Lalasticlala fg material.
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by SymonLFC(m): 3:17pm On May 11, 2020
Kenoxman:
OK thanks, but why do they call themeselves that are they titled holders, i thought titles are for elderly men in igboland or is it mere expression of love for culture. BTW have any idea on the meaning of onye na kpom and onye me me google translate is giving me rubbish. thank you meobizy lordfarquaad
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by Kenoxman(m): 4:47pm On May 11, 2020
SymonLFC:
OK thanks, but why do they call themeselves that are they titled holders, i thought titles are for elderly men in igboland or is it mere expression of love for culture. BTW have any idea on the meaning of onye na kpom and onye me me google translate is giving me rubbish. thank you meobizy lordfarquaad
It has nothing to do with title just normal hailing among guys, just like "chairman,chief,oga,etf". For "onye na-akpo m" means who is calling me. The other one onye me me actually is "onye mmemme" meaning happening guy. Guy wey dey make this happen, man wey dey spend on people.
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by SymonLFC(m): 5:05pm On May 11, 2020
Kenoxman:
It has nothing to do with title just normal hailing among guys, just like "chairman,chief,oga,etf". For "onye na-akpo m" means who is calling me. The other one onye me me actually is "onye mmemme" meaning happening guy. Guy wey dey make this happen, man wey dey spend on people.
Tnxs. man you too much.
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 13, 2020
meobizy:
Odogwu means ‘chief‘. It’s no different from English speaking Nigerians calling each other chairman.

Odogwu does not mean chief, ichié is the word for chief while odogwu means mighty or great.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by bigfrancis21: 6:27am On May 14, 2020
SymonLFC:
What is the meaning of odogwu
What is the meaning of nwafor
What is the meaning of odogwu nwanne.
Why do igbo guys greet,hail themselves with these words.

Now I know the literal meaning of nwafor ( a child born on day afor.)
But my coursemate that call themselves these word are not even bearing odogwu or nwafor for a surname.

Please somebody should clear me out.
I am assuming that it is a title, but on the flip side traditional titles are they not meant for elderly men ( something likePete edochie).
Nairalander's please enlighten me.
It is crazy whenever we for lectures every small thing odogwu nwanne odogwu ikaraka.

Thank you.

What tribe are you?
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by SymonLFC(m): 9:04am On May 14, 2020
bigfrancis21:

What tribe are you?
I'm Igbo. Why do you ask.
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by bigfrancis21: 11:34am On May 14, 2020
SymonLFC:
I'm Igbo. Why do you ask.

Just curious. It seems as though you’re learning Igbo?

Odogwu means someone great. It’s a way of hailing one who does great things. Or simply a friendly title for another friend.

Mmemme means feast/party. Onye mmemme means someone who likes to party/feast aka happening person. Someone who makes things happen.

Nwafor has two meanings. One like you said, someone born on afor day. The other, son of the soil.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by SymonLFC(m): 2:03pm On May 14, 2020
bigfrancis21:

Just curious. It seems as though you’re learning Igbo?

Odogwu means someone great. It’s a way of hailing one who does great things. Or simply a friendly title for another friend.

Mmemme means feast/party. Onye mmemme means someone who likes to party/feast aka happening person. Someone who makes things happen.

Nwafor has to meanings. One like you said, someone born on afor day. The other, son of the soil.
Yes i am nt fluent in my native tongue, I was'nt born nor bred in igboland. But i am making effort am a member of my state union in school and a member of council of chief ohaneze.
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by Banmeallday: 7:26pm On May 14, 2020
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by RedboneSmith(m): 7:33pm On May 14, 2020
In its original sense, Odogwu means war general. It was a military title in some parts of Igboland. Nowadays, it is often just normal hailing.

Nwafor literally translates as child of the womb. But its actual meaning is "trueborn son/daughter of the soil."

2 Likes

Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by Cruisegallow(m): 11:31pm On Jul 17, 2022
RedboneSmith:
In its original sense, Odogwu means war general. It was a military title in some parts of Igboland. Nowadays, it is often just normal hailing.

Nwafor literally translates as child of the womb. But its actual meaning is "trueborn son/daughter of the soil."
pls is there any name bearing Odiugwu and if yes what is the meaning
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by ETooLong: 11:11am On Nov 25, 2023
Odogwu or Odogun (as called in Anioma region of Delta state) actually has its origin in the Benin Kingdom. A war fearless, formidable and strong military general called Edogun.

The History 👇👇

Edogun family of Benin: The influence and tradition

The Edogun family play a pivotal role in the traditional institution of Benin Kingdom. Edogun is a high chief and was 3rd ranking personality in Benin Military heirachy.

Today, the influence and prominence of the Edogun family extends throughout Nigeria, not just Benin.

According to history, it was the great ancestor of the Edogun family who usually led onslaught against external aggressors, who wanted to encroach on Benin kingdom. The King also inform him when the town is expecting visitors from other towns and villages for easy passage.
As a war general, Edogun had the prerogatives to deny visitors entry in the interest of the king and people of Benin Kingdom.

The king believe so much in the efficacy of his charms and ability to defeat enemies with his skilful traditional fighting skills.

There were other warriors in his time but he was a war general because of his powers and influence. He has several people working under him as warriors and priests.

Before the death of the progenitor of Edogun family, various traditional rites has been embedded in the way of life. The issue of making sacrifice using animals and female mutilation remain a key feature.
- By Igbite Gale
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by Noccerino(m): 4:37pm On Nov 26, 2023
ETooLong:
Odogwu or Odogun (as called in Anioma region of Delta state) actually has its origin in the Benin Kingdom. A war fearless, formidable and strong military general called Edogun.

The History 👇👇

The Edogun family play a pivotal role in the traditional institution of Benin Kingdom. Edogun is a high chief and was 3rd ranking personality in Benin Military heirachy.

Today, the influence and prominence of the Edogun family extends throughout Nigeria, not just Benin.

According to history, it was the great ancestor of the Edogun family who usually led onslaught against external aggressors, who wanted to encroach on Benin kingdom. The King also inform him when the town is expecting visitors from other towns and villages for easy passage.
As a war general, Edogun had the prerogatives to deny visitors entry in the interest of the king and people of Benin Kingdom.

The king believe so much in the efficacy of his charms and ability to defeat enemies with his skilful traditional fighting skills.

There were other warriors in his time but he was a war general because of his powers and influence. He has several people working under him as warriors and priests.

Before the death of the progenitor of Edogun family, various traditional rites has been embedded in the way of life. The issue of making sacrifice using animals and female mutilation remain a key feature.
- By Igbite Gale
Carry your Bini epistle go one side abeg
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by Antivirus92(m): 8:20am On Nov 28, 2023
ETooLong:

The History 👇👇

- By Igbite Gale
total rubbish
Re: What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That by brownemmanuel43(m): 10:32pm On Dec 09, 2023
SymonLFC:
Yes i am nt fluent in my native tongue, I was'nt born nor bred in igboland. But i am making effort am a member of my state union in school and a member of council of chief ohaneze.
A member of council of chief oha Eze? Otochaaaaa, una dun spoil d whole ting. Na who dash u title,

(1) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo And His Wife, Olori Firdaus, Welcome First Child / Nigerians In China Celebrate African Cultural Day With Colourful Events(photos) / Nigerian Woman Are More Beautiful Then East Africans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.