Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:46 PM

The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement (11827 Views)

If East Tries To Go We Will Create Cor State - Gowon / Tolu Ogunlesi's Tweets About The Revival Of The Eastern Ports. / Kwara Is Now In The Hands Of Asiwaju Tinubu. Hon. Ajulo Presents His COR To Tinu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by Hotice085: 3:19pm On May 12, 2020
pazienza:
The COR movement was a movement for the creation of separate minority region from the then Igbo majority Eastern region by some members of the Eastern region minorities . Its an acronym for Calabar-Ogoja-Rivers, representing the minorities provinces in the now defunct Eastern region of Nigeria.

The Eastern region existed between 1939 to 1966. In its composition were Igbos, Ijaws, Ibibio, Annang, Ejagham, Oro, Agbo, Boki, Ugep, Ogoja, Ogoni, etc.
It was estimated that minorities on the whole constituted roughly 1/3 of the population of the region, while Igbos constituted 2/3 of the region total population.
The relationship between the Igbos and the minorities were relatively peaceful but not without intrigues. There were often innate fears and cries of Igbo domination by significant members of the minorities who usually called for creation of a minority region from the Eastern region. These demands led the colonial government to constitute the Willink commission of 1957 whose aim was to look into the grievances of the minorities and offer a recommendation.
The report of this commission can be found below this post.
The commission found no real marginalization of the minorities and maintained that Igbos have been fair in their dealings with the minorities, all the accusations brought to the commission by the minorities were found to have no substance and were dismissed. The commission noted that division of the Eastern region was not necessary.

Nevertheless, the yearnings of the minorities for a separate existence outside Igbo area of influence never died. It gathered pace once more when having lost out in Lagos, NCNC members found a way to replace Eyo Ita with Zik as the leader of the Eastern government. The aggrieved Eyo Ita left NCNC with both his Igbo and non Igbo supporters and founded a new party where he lost the elections to NCNC. However, rather than concede defeat, Eyo Ita embraced and vitalized the COR movement in retaliation. This rattled the Eastern region, but with NCNC party loyalists from COR areas like Mbu, Akpan, Ibanga Akpabio, Imoke against Eyo Ita, he soon ran out of steam and conceded defeat, while admitting that the people from COR didn't really want separation from the Eastern region.
Eyo Ita would later reconcile his differences with Zik and rejoined the NCNC.

To know more about Eyo ita saga :https://www.nairaland.com/2730983/see-no-wisdom-south-south/3

Appended to this post is a copy of Eyo Ita statement on his resignation from championing the COR movement.
This was sourced from Chibuzo Ihuoma collections via his blog:

I will really appreciate if you can leave this spin Doctor tales of Eyo Ita, it is simply medicine after death!
AZIKIWE and his cronies schemed him out and left him later reunited with him after securing all what they wanted
Don't paint otherwise or you want to deny the atrocities the Biafrans committed on innocent civilians in the AkwaCross region?
I suggest instead of trying to cover up history you guys should be making efforts to a purely IBO agenda with no option of any other tribes.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by Armaggedon: 3:55pm On May 12, 2020
horsepower102:

In nature, organisms that are unable to adapt to changing environment go extinct.

Enough said.
your logic is dead on arrival. People develop by changing their environment. Heroes transform and not conform!

2 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by Asgard13: 4:05pm On May 12, 2020
horsepower102:

This current generation must be the ones to change the course of our engagement with others is this one Nigeria.

We must sacrifice emotionalism and replace it with pragmatism and self interest.

We should stop treating our neighbors as brothers and simply see them for what they are; our neighbors.

Thank God for pazienza.

Pazienza have been consistent with his opinion... take out minorities and give us Igbo nation

Fvck kanu fvck IPOB

9 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 12, 2020
Armaggedon:
Yea, he can't translate it to solutions b'cos he is unsure of his ideas. The worst thing that can happen to anyone is to follow someone who doesn't know what he wants. I have learnt that Pazienza is just one of them. He supported Nnamdi kanu, supported Ipob, Supported Biafra and supported sit at home. Now he hates Ipob, hates Nnamdi kanu and hates Biafra.

It is very simple to write and dwell on a probem. Infact every breathing human can detail a problem but only those who are sure of their own ideas can boldly venture into the all important task of solving them. It is those who solve problems that are called heroes and not those who criticize them. Education and knowledge has never been our problem In igboland. Our problem has been the lack men who can dedicate their time, risk their lives and solve our problems.

Ask him the solution and watch him prevaricate.
You’re right about the bolded, this is what I noticed in his metamorphosis.

Well it’s up to him to take a stand and match words with action. Hopefully he sticks with his current attributes.

2 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 12, 2020
gidgiddy:

The wilinks report has nothing to do with IPOB or or Kanu. This is a purely historical report that is over 60 years old and has nothing to do with current times. It is about the past, not the future.

What gains do you think Igbos have made? Whatever you see Igbos have today has been from sweat, ingenuity and hardwork, none which will change whether Nigeria exists or not nobody has gained anything from Nigeria, if anything, Igbos have lost a lot.

I believe in the independence of the Igbo nation as a seperate country, I believe Igbos will do much better when they are out of the failed country called Nigeria, and I have believed so, long before I ever heard anything called IPOB
Ok! At least you made an unbiased point here. I’ll keep this one.
Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 12, 2020
Ank:
Onlytruth the former Ezendigbo on nairaland is your guy for this movement you are talking about. I really missed that guy....
I remember him as well as the metamorphosed Ezeagu, Chiwude, Afam, Abagworo etc, far back when enlightened Igbos made the forum a fun filled place.

There are still nairalanders maybe with different monikers or on observation mode.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by Asgard13: 4:21pm On May 12, 2020
UdechiHD:
I remember him as well as the metamorphosed Ezeagu, Chiwude, Afam, Abagworo etc, far back when enlightened Igbos made the forum a fun filled place.

There are still nairalanders maybe with different monikers or on observation mode.

We all dey... no worries cool

1 Like

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by fhranchez(m): 4:32pm On May 12, 2020
Dreambeat:
It is surprising that this thread that was meant to educate the younger generation about the history of Igbos and their kiths and kin in the old Eastern region has now become an IPOB bashing thread. Some people just want to criticise without proffering a solution.IPOB may not be perfect just like any other freedom fighting organisation all over the world but one thing I know is that the leadership of Nnamdi Kanu has done a lot in bringing to the consciousness of the Igbo nation, Biafrans and world the plight of Biafrans in the present day Nigeria.Hence you should give him credit for that. Moreover, I doubt that there is any Igbo man alive right now who can command the kind of followership that he does. IPOB modus operandi may not be conventional but you don't throw away the baby with the bath water. Let's discuss the theme of the thread and leave IPOB alone.
For your information, I am not a member of IPOB, at least not yet.
my brother leave them, they don't know anything about warfare and allies.

Tomorrow one NgoziBae will come and say Delta is not part of biafra. Half baked graduates with half baked brain.

4 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by Nobody: 4:33pm On May 12, 2020
Asgard13:

We all dey... no worries cool
Lol! Abi. grin grin
Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by fhranchez(m): 4:36pm On May 12, 2020
Ardar:
This thread just reminded me of an incident that happened 10years ago in port harcourt

My mom was having a conversation with an ikwerre man, along the line the man asked her where she's from and she told him that she's Igbo from Anambra State.

You need to see the way this man's face changed grin and i taught he smelt something bad with the way he squeezed his face.

"I hate igbos" he said with disgust.

My mom asked him why and he said he hate igbos because of what we did to them during the old eastern region and that his father abi grand father told him that. grin

If there's any tribe that was brought up with hate, it's those ikwerre people.

Ipob should thread with caution.
i believe your story 100% but like you said 10 years ago. Ipob are waking a lot of those people to reality, i bet you'll agree with me a lot of youths are waking up to realities

1 Like

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by Asgard13: 4:36pm On May 12, 2020
UdechiHD:
Lol! Abi. grin grin

Nairaland politics have gone tribal... is a propaganda piece for southwest

News are not confirmed... politicians have hijacked the site. You

5 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by fhranchez(m): 4:39pm On May 12, 2020
gidgiddy:

The wilinks report has nothing to do with IPOB or or Kanu. This is a purely historical report that is over 60 years old and has nothing to do with current times. It is about the past, not the future.

What gains do you think Igbos have made? Whatever you see Igbos have today has been from sweat, ingenuity and hardwork, none which will change whether Nigeria exists or not nobody has gained anything from Nigeria, if anything, Igbos have lost a lot.

I believe in the independence of the Igbo nation as a seperate country, I believe Igbos will do much better when they are out of the failed country called Nigeria, and I have believed so, long before I ever heard anything called IPOB
Gbam, add and her Allies
Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by Nobody: 4:42pm On May 12, 2020
fhranchez:
i believe your story 100% but like you said 10 years ago. Ipob are waking a lot of those people to reality, i bet you'll agree with me a lot of youths are waking up to realities

Like it or not the vast majority are still deeply igbophobic even till now.

So it's better to have an Igbo only country than begging people who have been filled with lies against igbos in biafra.

8 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by fhranchez(m): 4:52pm On May 12, 2020
Ardar:

Like it or not the vast majority are still deeply igbophobic even till now.

So it's better to have an Igbo only country than begging people who have been filled with lies against igbos in biafra.
you're still playing to the gallery of divide and rule. How do you get biafra with less numbers??
Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by Nobody: 4:57pm On May 12, 2020
fhranchez:
you're still playing to the gallery of divide and rule. How do you get biafra with less numbers??

There's no such thing as divide and rule, leave these people, their Insults is too much.

We as a people need to start dealing with them without emotions.

Men are recently swallowing the red pill and turning to alpha males while dealing with women, the same principle should be applied here too.

6 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by ChimaAdeoye: 5:12pm On May 12, 2020
I love threads like this where we can learn solid historical facts, and not the tribalist gutter NL had been turned to.

6 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by PDJT: 5:13pm On May 12, 2020
Eastlink:
Truth be told Ndigbo have suffered in this country. Partly also caused by them.

Since the demise of Nnamdi Azikiwe we've lost our political expediency. Emotionalism introduced by recent Igbo leaders, MASSOB and IPOB has taken a toll on our pride.

First we must get it right political. The era of trying to please others must seize henceforth. We did the nonsense with the Yoruba's in Abiola and Obasanjo and repeated the same to GEJ, yet their tribesmen would never pays us back in like manner.

Igbo must get it right and all those who scorned her will come begging on their knees. We must start using our thinking caps and be pragmatic.

[s]The likes of MASSOB and IPOB offer nothing to Ndigbo. We must push them out for an hard core Pan Igbo group that looks after our interest first.
[/s]
We must begin to vote in leaders that think Igbo first just as the Fulani's voted in a Buhari. Any lily livered Igbo politician who thinks others first etc must be destroyed politically.

1 Like

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by PDJT: 5:20pm On May 12, 2020
Eastlink:
The era of pleasing others brought us scorn and insults.

The language Nigeria understands is ethnic patriotism. Which sane country would vote in a Buhari tell me? The Yoruba's are unapologetically ethnic champions and have remained so but only the Igbo's are claiming holy.

Igbos lost the plot with her shameless macabre dance and many of us are guilty. 2023 is around the corner and yet we still don't have a political roadmap.

[s]A supreme leader is their destroying Igbo political future and our youths are their forming
IPOB touts online and offline. We must begin to get it right.[/s]

We must throw our individuality and work for our collective interest.

-You certainly breed some foolish resentments against MASSOB, IPOB and indeed Nnamdi Kanu.

-You haven’t even started or led a WhatsApp group but here you’re working hard to drag down others that have made an effort and inevitably wash your dirty linen outside. Kudos, you dey try Mr. Arrogance.

7 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by PDJT: 5:24pm On May 12, 2020
horsepower102:

IPOB will fail and eventually will loose support in Igboland. As some who used to support them, I have retraced my steps. Nnamdi Kanu is misguided. Sooner or later he will realize what a big mistake he is making including Tower of Babel in his biafran ambitions.

But I am glad for IPOB movement. It helped to expose a lot of things I would have never known about those surrounding us and their true intentions and feelings towards igbos.

-You have to form or create something extremely big and logical to degrade IPOB and it’s roots certainly in Ala’Igbo. Good luck with that, cos you will definitely need it.

5 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by PDJT: 5:27pm On May 12, 2020
UdechiHD:
Pazienza is an idealist and it ends there.
I once told Pazienza far back to convey his ideals on nairaland to reality but that never materialized. Charismatic and fearless people should begin to lead Ndigbo.

People who are intellectually sick as Kanu etc would continue to have the edge if we don't rise up.
Also weak and compromising leaders such as Peter Obi, Ekweremadu, Rochas, Kalu etc would continue to lead Igbo's if we don't put an end to it.

-What stops you from leading the charge, if I may ask? I suppose you’re intellectually healthy. Innit?

6 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by PDJT: 5:35pm On May 12, 2020
maestroferddi:
Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB certainly have nuisance value...

Nevertheless, their agitation for Igbo liberation lacks intellectual and strategic framework.

I have said it time and again that the Igbos, especially the intelligentsia, must rise up and fight their battles.

It was a deliberate state policy to unleash revisionism and demonisation on the Igbos immediately after the civil war... We know the authors and beneficiaries...

Now that the younger generation of Igbos have the privilege of access to the internet, it behoves them to study their history and retell it the way it should be retold.

-Sure IPOB is doing it’s part, just like the groups before it. Special thanks to MASSOB.

-Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB have always challenged those with this “better ideas” - intellectual and strategic framework” to start their own, that they will support them.

-Always remember any movement or idea today is only a top-up of what has been. Never denigrate what brought you to life, cos life is continuum but complex.

10 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by PDJT: 5:42pm On May 12, 2020
UdechiHD:
And yet you appropriate yourself Nairaland spokesman? How many IPOB members have really taken time to study? You lots just jump up and down making noise everywhere and keep destroying the little gains Ndigbo made before the coming of Kanu.

I'm actually not taking a diss on you guys or even Kanu, but I feel you guys have done more harm than good and should take the back seat.

-Where did you get your own “education”? Nigeria? grin

-Go and atleast start your own movement, before looking for who will take a back or front seat. Tag me when you start one.

5 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by Armaggedon: 5:48pm On May 12, 2020
Many of these people you think you know too well have be paid to write against Biafra hoping to use the trust they gained over the years to gather the opinion of as many people as possible against Biafra, using the frivolous excuse of a homogeneous Igbo country.

Anybody that wants freedom wants freedom.Let's tell ourselves the truth, Anybody that opposes a non violent organization like IPOB has an ulterior motive. we are not all fools.

If Anybody tells you kanu is bad, Ipob is this, Igboland has this problem etc. Just ask him the solution? He will never tell you. If he ever does, ask him why he is not taking the charge, he will definitely run away.

14 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by fhranchez(m): 5:49pm On May 12, 2020
Ardar:

There's no such thing as divide and rule, leave these people, their Insults is too much.

We as a people need to start dealing with them without emotions.

Men are recently swallowing the red pill and turning to alpha males while dealing with women, the same principle should be applied here too.
always answer them with REFERENDUM!!! There will be no Homogeneous Igbo nation until after REFERENDUM fullstop

3 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by maestroferddi: 5:52pm On May 12, 2020
PDJT:

-Sure IPOB is doing it’s part, just like the groups before it. Special thanks to MASSOB.

-Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB have always challenged those with this “better ideas” - intellectual and strategic framework” to start their own, that they will support them.

-Always remember any movement or idea today is only a top-up of what has been. Never denigrate what brought you to life, cos life is continuum but complex.
It will be remiss of me to dismiss what Kanu and his group are doing...

The point I was trying to make is that Kanu needs to perfect his craft....He is making friends to become foes by his ill-advised utterances

Making impact goes beyond demagoguery and casting aspersion right, left and center...

The way he is making out makes one to wonder whether he listens to strategic counselling.

By now he ought to have refined his modus operandi by having a well-defined thrust.

If you compare Ojukwu with Kanu, you see a significant difference.

Ojukwu was urbane, pragmatic, persuasive and almost always won the cerebral/intellectual argument.

Kanu needs to raise his game.

7 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by fhranchez(m): 5:55pm On May 12, 2020
Umunnem, anyone that insults you to abandon Ipob or advice you to seek for a homogeneous nation, tell that person that would be after referendum.

DO NOT BE FOOLED AS THEY WILL NOT EVEN GIVE YOU THE HOMOGENEOUS COUNTRY INSTEAD THEY ARE TRYING TO REDUCE YOUR NUMBERS AND TELL YOU TO SEE IPOB AS THE ENEMY.

PEACE

7 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by horsepower102: 5:56pm On May 12, 2020
Armaggedon:
Many of these people you think you know too well have be paid to write against Biafra hoping to use the trust they gained over the years to gather the opinion of as many people as possible against Biafra, using the frivolous excuse of a homogeneous Igbo country.

Anybody that wants freedom wants freedom.Let's tell ourselves the truth, Anybody that opposes a non violent organization like IPOB has an ulterior motive. we are not all fools.

If Anybody tells you kanu is bad, Ipob is this, Igboland has this problem etc. Just ask him the solution? He will never tell you. If he ever does, ask him why he is not taking the charge, he will definitely run away.

Denialism will be the source of IPOB death. Tell Nnamdi Kanu to limit his ambitions to Igboland. I have no hatred for him but he is misguided.

The minorities he claims to know in reality don’t like him. They don’t like igbos and they don’t want anything to do with Biafra.

He needs to stop sacrificing the blood of igbo children who trust him for groups of people who don’t deserve that sacrifice.

Why is this hard for IPOB to understand.

Let the new Biafra be an igbo only thing and they will have my support back again like they used to.

And most importantly, we will get biafra faster that way.

6 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by fhranchez(m): 5:58pm On May 12, 2020
maestroferddi:
It will be remiss of me to dismiss what Kanu and his group are doing...

The point I was trying to make is that Kanu needs to perfect his craft....He is making friends to become foes by his ill-advised utterances

Making impact goes beyond demagoguery and casting aspersion right, left and center...

The way he is making out makes one to wonder whether he listens to strategic counselling.

By now he ought to have refined his modus operandi by having a well-defined thrust.

If you compare Ojukwu with Kanu, you see a significant difference.

Ojukwu was urbane, pragmatic, persuasive and almost always won the cerebral/intellectual argument.

Kanu needs to raise his game.
Kanu needs to raise his game but the point you made were filled with have baked grammar and no real solution.

1 Like

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by horsepower102: 5:58pm On May 12, 2020
fhranchez:
always answer them with REFERENDUM!!! There will be no Homogeneous Igbo nation until after REFERENDUM fullstop

Why do you insist on referendum on those who are not interested?

1 Like

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by mrvitalis(m): 5:59pm On May 12, 2020
Hotice085:

I will really appreciate if you can leave this spin Doctor tales of Eyo Ita, it is simply medicine after death!
AZIKIWE and his cronies schemed him out and left him later reunited with him after securing all what they wanted
Don't paint otherwise or you want to deny the atrocities the Biafrans committed on innocent civilians in the AkwaCross region?
I suggest instead of trying to cover up history you guys should be making efforts to a purely IBO agenda with no option of any other tribes.
Why didn't u talk about how u took over Igbo houses after the war

10 Likes

Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by SLAP44: 5:59pm On May 12, 2020
mrvitalis:
I always asked this question ...if igbos were tribalistic how would eyo ita be elected in the first place ??

Zik was the party leader ...when he came back it's logical u step away

Biafra with a South south minority is a no no for me ....they would always have this inferiority complex and feeling we are talking advance of them ......we must avoid it by all means and if we must form a country with south south it must be a very very loose republic like UAE or lexemburg

Let them keep their oil ....that has made them very arrogant
I agree.
Re: The Eastern Region Series : The COR Movement by horsepower102: 6:00pm On May 12, 2020
fhranchez:
Umunnem, anyone that insults you to abandon Ipob or advice you to seek for a homogeneous nation, tell that person that would be after referendum.

DO NOT BE FOOLED AS THEY WILL NOT EVEN GIVE YOU THE HOMOGENEOUS COUNTRY INSTEAD THEY ARE TRYING TO REDUCE YOUR NUMBERS AND TELL YOU TO SEE IPOB AS THE ENEMY.

PEACE

Once again, you cannot impose a referendum on those who never asked for it and whose leadership or mouthpiece have come out to reject Biafra. What is wrong with you?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Fayemi Hails Oyo APC Leaders Over Decision To Unite / Two Feared Dead In Awgbu, Anambra Community Attack / Governors Slowing Down Take-Off Of State Police - FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.