Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,857 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

The Last Bus - Literature (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Last Bus (35308 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 9:05pm On Jun 18, 2020
Kaycee9242:
Op thank u very much for killing Fiona, u try very well oooooo

Hmmmmm, Kaycee.

I once said that this 'movie' is like The Game of Thrones. You can never tell who would die at any time! It doesn't matter whether they are good persons or not.

Abeg, take heart, biko.
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 9:07pm On Jun 18, 2020
Josipov:
Why do I feel that this is all happening in a dream?
May be, it's Akin that's dreaming.

Hmmmm.... I pray it's a dream too oooo. In fact, I would be the happiest person if it turned out to be a dream.

Anyway, you are welcome to my world, Josipov.
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 9:11pm On Jun 18, 2020
Ready for fresh episodes?

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by Tominix(m): 9:12pm On Jun 18, 2020
JamesKudooski:
Ready for fresh episodes?
Chai yum yum, oya drop am
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 9:19pm On Jun 18, 2020
Chapter Seven
Hayakunnah!
(Episode 16)

By the time I opened my eyes, I found Michael, Ubong, Sister Elizabeth, Lilian, Amitabh, and myself tied to the bars of a cage on a cattle-driven wagon. My body ached, and my bruises burned, yet the pains couldn't compare with the anguish I bore in my heart when I looked around, and Fiona was nowhere in the cage. I instinctively searched for the necklace around my neck, and to my relief, it was still there.

I didn't know how long we had travelled. All I knew was we were approaching the savages' settlement judging by the sound of drums we heard from a distance. The sun was already setting. I pressed my face against the bars to view the surrounding perhaps Fiona might be in another cage close-by. I knew within me that there was none, but I hoped all the same. My heart sank when I found none.

Stone sculptures similar to the ones we saw earlier lined the sides of the path leading into the settlement only that these were much bigger and intimidating. I puked when I saw several severed heads hanging on stakes. Many of them were rotten with flies and maggots feasting on them while others were skulls that had seen many years. I wondered if ours too would end up on those stakes.

When we entered into the village which was at the foot of the mountain we saw earlier; there was a grand celebration going on. Drums, the size of trailer tyres, vibrated with percussive rhythm. There were colourful decorations everywhere, and the people were in high spirits. They lined up the path, cheering the arriving warriors like they just won a major trophy. They booed us instead and threw things at us. They were scantily dressed like the warriors too, except that the animal skin also covered the women's breasts. Both men and women wore big earrings made from bones.

Today must be a great festival of some sort. The people were shouting, “HAYAKUNNAH!” and sprinkling colourful powders into the air. I wondered what Hayakunnah was.

The wagon stopped in front of the king's palace. The crowd made way as the warriors matched forward to present us to their king. Waiting outside the palace, on an elevated platform, was the king and some people I presumed were the royal council and family. Standing beside the king was an older man with wrinkled skin and heavy jowls like an old frog whom I suspected was the chief priest. To the king's right was a distinguished warrior whom I later learned was the supreme commander of their army and the king's younger brother. There were also the royal guards, made up of the fiercest and best warriors in the kingdom.

The female warrior, the commander, knelt and bowed before the king and the chief priest. “Hahutaka, mi chaka. Hu ka ni ntungu,” she said in their language, stretching her hand towards us.

None of us understood what she said, but from the gestures, I guessed she just greeted the king and presented us to him and his council. The king smiled and motioned with his sculptured-elephant-tusk sceptre to her to rise. He opened his arms wide and hugged her affectionately and kissed her forehead. After which she took her position beside the queen. With all the attention, she must be the princess. The chief priest tapped the ground with his skull staff three times to register his approval and commendation. The crowd cheered, and he laughed, revealing the lone tooth in his mouth. The string of human skulls that was his rosary clattered as his shoulders shook with the laughter.

The king raised his sceptre and silence fell over the whole place.

To be continued ... Watch Out for the Next Episode!

NB: The book is NOW AVAILABLE on online stores. For those who can't hold the suspense, get the book here:

1. BAMBOOKS: https://bambooks.io/Book/BookDetail/The-Last-Bus/12725

2. OKADABOOKS: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_last_bus/33597

3. LITIRESO: https://litireso.com/library/B-530ykalgylh2

4. SMASHWORDS: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1024020

Àdùkẹ́!
...My Story, My World.

Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/adukestories/

3 Likes

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 9:39pm On Jun 18, 2020
Chapter Seven
Hayakunnah!
(Episode 17)

The king raised his sceptre and silence fell over the whole place. He motioned in our direction, and the warriors shoved us forward with their spears, exposing their large, irregular, brown teeth as they chuckled. The king stepped forward to address the people to which the ecstatic crowd responded with their version of ‘All hail the king!’

The king's regalia inspired fear. In addition to the paintings he had on his face and body, his drape was made of lion skin worn such that the lion's head rested on his shoulder. His crown was made of leather and eagle feathers. With his physique and stance, I had no doubt in my mind that he was a warrior-king. When the king finished, he gave the floor to the chief priest to proceed with the pre-sacrificial rituals.

Their language was as strange as their ways. It was spoken with a forceful cadence and explicit gestures. Though weird, I didn't think it was difficult to understand for someone who had ears for languages. For someone who could speak five different languages fluently, it wasn't long before I began to understand what they were saying.

The chief priest raised both his staff and rosary and said at the top of his voice, “Hahutaka, mi puputunga aki Hayak. Mi delikunta sho nganka tun Hayakunnah. Yahakun babalu, mu nganka Hayak ntunga. Bilisi bilisi fakunga.” (Greetings my great descendants of Hayak. It is my pleasure to present to you the great sacrifice for this year's celebration of Hayakunnah. Behold! When the moon is full tonight, we shall offer our oblations to Great Hayak. May he continue to protect and bless us all)

The people responded with an exuberant shout of, “HAYAKUNNAH!”

It was time for the chief priest to examine the offering—us. The sun had set entirely now, but the whole place was aglow with burning torches. The moon had started to peep from behind the clouds. The warriors lined us up beside each other with our hands tied behind our backs. We were weak and thirsty and had bruises all over our body and face. One after the other, they stripped us of our tops, and the chief priest carried out the examination. When it got to my turn, immediately they removed my shirt, Fiona's crescent moon pendant and the buckle of my belt glistened in the flickering light.

I saw the warrior princess jerk. Her eyes bulged, and she ordered, “Stop!”

The chief priest was taken aback. The supreme commander also frowned. The princess walked up to me, gawking at the pendant. I was confused, and her penetrating stare frightened me. She held the pendant and examined it thoroughly and then my buckle. I wondered what she was doing. Her eyes wandered over my muscled body. Undoubtedly, my bulging chest and six parks that now paid host to hundreds of sweat beads caught her fancy. I saw passion burning in her eyes. She bit her lips to suppress the feeling.

“We cannot sacrifice these people,” she said in their tongue, and after rewarding herself with a smile, she exclaimed, “The Prophecy!”

The people hooted and exchanged surprised looks.

Supreme commander sprang forward. He was not happy with the turn of events. He scolded his niece, “How dare you interrupt the holy proceeding, Hayakharet? And what prophecy are you talking about?”

“The Great Prophecy, of course!”

“Ah, the Prophecy.” The chief priest suddenly became thoughtful. “The day that the moon and the sun become one, that day, your saviour will arrive.”

“And how have the moon and the sun met? Tell me, little niece,” supreme commander snarled at her.

“Long live the king,” she courtesied. “Father, chief priest, and the royal council, for hundreds of years, we have waited for the prophecy to be fulfilled. We have waited for the day the sun and moon up in the sky will become one, but we have been looking in the wrong direction. Look! The sun and the moon have met today!” she pointed to the pendant and my belt buckle which had the shape of a shining sun engraved on it.

“Hmmm!” The King and the chief priest nodded. “Could it be that the words of the Prophecy are not to be taken literally?”

“And who is the saviour? These bunch of cowards that were defeated by a band of warriors led by a woman?” the supreme commander sniggered.

“And that woman is the commander of the best army on earth, uncle!” Hayakharet shouted at the supreme commander.

“And do not forget I am the SUPREME COMMANDER, little niece!” His eyes glowed.

My friends and I exchanged looks. Though they did not understand what was being said, they got the gist. The situation soon degenerated into a heated argument. The king intervened. He ordered the guards to lock us up in the dungeon while he consulted with the chief priest and his council to decide before the full moon.

The dungeon was dingy and damp. The moonlight filtered in through a tiny opening at the top, close to the roof, providing the only source of light. Our hands and legs were shackled by long chains attached to the walls. From the window, I saw that the full moon was almost entirely out in the sky. A crow cawed above the window as if reminding us that there was a little time left before our death. That is if the mosquitoes and fleas in this prison did not kill us first.

The mosquitoes buzzed in circles around my head, making it difficult for me to think straight. Annoyingly, I couldn't free my hands to squash these insects or at least chase them off. The mosquitoes here were not like the ajebutter kinds of mosquitoes in Lagos. They were also savages—The Katanga—you know those black ones with white stripes on their legs and proboscis so long and sharp that could bite through thick jeans? They taught me to respect mosquitoes.

My ears picked up the sound of hurried footsteps approaching us. Three shadows slipped into the dungeon from underneath the door. I stiffened. The door flung open, and the light from the torch almost blinded me. Commander Hayakharet entered, closely followed by two fierce-looking warriors. It was perhaps our time to die.

To be continued ... Watch Out for the Next Episode!

NB: The book is NOW AVAILABLE on online stores. For those who can't hold the suspense, get the book here:

1. BAMBOOKS: https://bambooks.io/Book/BookDetail/The-Last-Bus/12725

2. OKADABOOKS: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_last_bus/33597

3. LITIRESO: https://litireso.com/library/B-530ykalgylh2

4. SMASHWORDS: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1024020

Àdùkẹ́!
...My Story, My World.

Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/adukestories/

3 Likes

Re: The Last Bus by Tominix(m): 9:54pm On Jun 18, 2020
Jameskudooski thank you jawe, after u na u

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by Josipov: 10:03pm On Jun 18, 2020
Before the princess interrupted the ritual, the story was reminding me of a film title "APOCALYPTO"

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by EkopSparoAyara(m): 11:24pm On Jun 18, 2020
It has dropped.. Hot..

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by EkopSparoAyara(m): 11:24pm On Jun 18, 2020
Indeed,this is not just a regular story..

The flawless use of the strange words, awed me.. It didn't take Akin so long to decipher..

I feel sorry for Ambitah, the young lad has had too many near death experiences for someone his age..

The Great Prophecy.. The sun and Moon coming together, there's no way that could have happened literally.. Maybe science fiction can make it happen..

Well, let me watch on as the next happenings will show us the fate that awaits Akin and the rest..

BRAVO JAMESKUDOOSKI..

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by damselposh(f): 12:36am On Jun 19, 2020
I hope the princess sets Akin and co free
if not, I am going there, myself on a rescue mission.
they should not try me ooo, i can fight baji.
Eshe gan for the update Boss.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Last Bus by Ann2012(f): 8:15am On Jun 19, 2020
JamesKudooski:

Ehhhh! Abi u bi black belter too?

Yes na grin

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by Vitalvector2017(m): 2:38pm On Jun 19, 2020
From one gbege to another .. Op I hope there are better days ahead for them ooo....
Well-done Sir

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by Kaycee9242(m): 8:54pm On Jun 19, 2020
JamesKudooski:

Hmmmmm, Kaycee.

I once said that this 'movie' is like The Game of Thrones. You can never tell who would die at any time! It doesn't matter whether they are good persons or not.

Abeg, take heart, biko.

No follow me talk abeg, we are no longer friends

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Last Bus by PrudySara(f): 11:08pm On Jun 19, 2020
So sad, Fiona had to die.

I hope Akin and others are saved by the Princess. But who could this savior be, Akin or Fiona who's dead already??

Thanks for the update boss!

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by Lilly4endu(f): 11:03am On Jun 20, 2020
After reading this last update, my mind was asking me if these people was going to PH or where? I was supposed to travel to PH whenever the FG lifted the inter-state lockedown. What do you think people?

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by EkopSparoAyara(m): 7:23pm On Jun 20, 2020
Lilly4endu:
After reading this last update, my mind was asking me if these people was going to PH or where? I was supposed to travel to PH whenever the FG lifted the inter-state lockedown. What do you think people?

This is a pure work of fiction dear, don't let it get to you... Feel free to travel down to Port Harcourt after the whole pandemic..

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by Tominix(m): 6:25pm On Jun 21, 2020
JamesKudooski:

Lol! Update on the way.
Oya drop

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by becca2017(f): 11:17am On Jun 22, 2020
cryDaddy Jason o!.. hope all is well sir?

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:24pm On Jun 25, 2020
Tominix:
Jameskudooski thank you jawe, after u na u

Uwc, Tominix
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:25pm On Jun 25, 2020
Josipov:
Before the princess interrupted the ritual, the story was reminding me of a film title "APOCALYPTO"

Really?
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:26pm On Jun 25, 2020
EkopSparoAyara:
It has dropped.. Hot..

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:36pm On Jun 25, 2020
EkopSparoAyara:
Indeed,this is not just a regular story..

The flawless use of the strange words, awed me.. It didn't take Akin so long to decipher..

I feel sorry for Ambitah, the young lad has had too many near death experiences for someone his age..

The Great Prophecy.. The sun and Moon coming together, there's no way that could have happened literally.. Maybe science fiction can make it happen..

Well, let me watch on as the next happenings will show us the fate that awaits Akin and the rest..

BRAVO JAMESKUDOOSKI..

As always, your commentaries are usually topnotch. I dey gbadun dem like mad.

And thanks for the compliments too.

Let's wait for what happens to Akin and friends next.

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 8:20pm On Jun 25, 2020
damselposh:

I hope the princess sets Akin and co free

if not, I am going there, myself on a rescue mission.

they should not try me ooo, i can fight baji.

Eshe gan for the update Boss.

Ooooooshe! Plenty superheroes plenty for here ooo. Good one. grin
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 8:55pm On Jun 25, 2020
Ann2012:

Yes na grin

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 8:57pm On Jun 25, 2020
Vitalvector2017:
From one gbege to another .. Op I hope there are better days ahead for them ooo....
Well-done Sir

Seriously, I pray there are better days ahead.
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 8:57pm On Jun 25, 2020
Kaycee9242:

No follow me talk abeg, we are no longer friends

Lol!
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 9:02pm On Jun 25, 2020
PrudySara:
So sad, Fiona had to die.

I hope Akin and others are saved by the Princess. But who could this savior be, Akin or Fiona who's dead already??

Thanks for the update boss!

Hmmmm..."who could the saviour be?”

Serious question.

Let's wait and see.

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 9:05pm On Jun 25, 2020
Lilly4endu:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Ah ah Lilly4endu! This is just fiction. Feel free to make your trip ooo. Just take necessary precautions and pray to Jehovah.

That's all. No need to fret.
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2020
EkopSparoAyara:

This is a pure work of fiction dear, don't let it get to you... Feel free to travel down to Port Harcourt after the whole pandemic..

Exactly!
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2020
Tominix:
Oya drop

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 9:08pm On Jun 25, 2020
becca2017:
cryDaddy Jason o!.. hope all is well sir?

Really, I've been sick.

And thanks for checking up on me. Really appreciate.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply)

Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) / Underlying Love (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Sites To Download Free Ebooks.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.