Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,935 members, 7,806,712 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) (40834 Views)

Man Shows Off N43k Plate Of Eba And Soup (Pictures) / Egusi Pepper Soup: How To Prepare Spicy Egusi Pepper Soup / Ofe Nsala Soup: How To Prepare Delicious Ofe Nsala Soup With Goat Meat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by medube(m): 10:13am On Jun 27, 2020
ToluNazzal:
Hello Guys, Hope you all are having a fantastic day despite the odds.

Today, i'm introducing you guys to a dish that is common in the Middle East but which a lot of you can relate with, especially my Yoruba people. The dish is called 'MOLOKHIA SOUP' and it is made from the popular EWEDU leaf that you know. It is also called Jute leaf in English.

It can be eaten with Rice, swallow just like Ewedu or any how you want it.

It is something you may want to try out.

Take a look at this video to learn more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk_ke4QpDMY

Good one, but I would like to point out that Curry is not a spice used in the Middle East. Curry is actually used in India and neighbouring Far Eastern countries. If you added it because of your personal preference then thats fine, but aside that, it is not a commonly used spice in the Middle East.
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by adedayoa2(f): 10:13am On Jun 27, 2020
bjprodint:
Ewedu is ewedu ,as far as its from ewedu the soup go draw ,and i cant eat rice with draw soup。
cooking ewedu without potash May not slime
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by dagreat4(f): 10:24am On Jun 27, 2020
ToluNazzal:

grin grin grin
wrong.Ewedu is Ewedu only applies to ur Nigerian soup.That vegetable has oda uses.Mind you d name of d vegetable nor b Ewedu.lol
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by AntiChristian: 11:01am On Jun 27, 2020
hopexter:

Na long throat you get, there's nothing yummy with draw soup and rice. grin

I love food. Nutritious food! This is healthy! And I don't think this draws.
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by OriOko88(m): 11:57am On Jun 27, 2020
TomMary:
It will even make much more sense than what the Yorubas prepare... Looks more presentable and I am sure the taste is more palatable
Have u even tasted the yoruba ewedu soup being served at parties before Don't say wht u don't know

2 Likes

Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by pocohantas(f): 12:07pm On Jun 27, 2020
dominique:

The vegetable looks uncooked. The oha soup I cooked once looked nothing like this, the uziza leaves messed up the taste and smell.

You don’t “COOK” oha leaf. Once you put it in, you turn off heat ASAP. Subsequently it might begin to look cooked as you warm it, but never on the first day. That is why core Igbo men no dey chop soup pass the day it was cooked. That uncooked state of the leaf gives them orgasm.

You put too much uziza, lol. The oha should be way more than the uziza. It is still oha soup na.

I can give you a quick guide to getting it right.

4 Likes

Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by Lilgabby(m): 12:12pm On Jun 27, 2020
Too many people ranting stupid comments. Go get some life. Ewedu is part of the yoruba delicacy and to be heard and also cooked abroad is something to cherish about not just insulting....ehn, you dont eat ewedu ...ehn...its poison, keep ur problems to yourself and stop ranting blablabushes here. �

2 Likes

Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by baby124: 12:16pm On Jun 27, 2020
dagreat4:
wrong.Ewedu is Ewedu only applies to ur Nigerian soup.That vegetable has oda uses.Mind you d name of d vegetable nor b Ewedu.lol
The Yoruba name is Ewedu. No body cares what it’s other name is. Some of you have serious low self worth.
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by baby124: 12:19pm On Jun 27, 2020
pocohantas:

You don’t “COOK” oha leaf. Once you put it in, you turn off heat ASAP. Subsequently it might begin to look cooked as you warm it, but never on the first day. That is why core Igbo men no dey chop soup pass the day it was cooked. That uncooked state of the leaf gives them orgasm.

You put too much uziza, lol. The oha should be way more than the uziza. It is still oha soup na.

I can give you a quick guide to getting it right.
I once tried Oha leaves and it’s too hard like what a goat will chew. It has flavor but tastes thicker and harder than moi moi leaf and more like a grassy flavor. I did not enjoy it at all.

I rather soak it and Ugu leaves till soft. I am not used to eating hard leaves like that. Even Afang leaf I soak. Yoruba vegetables are very soft so not used to hard hard leaf.
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by ginggerxy: 12:30pm On Jun 27, 2020
NinjaMetahuman:

If you are looking for posion.
This is what poison looks like..

I would rather drink sniper than oha soup.

Looks like something cannibals made up in a hurry.
that's not oha soup bro , Don't know what you posted there . Just calm your nerves . everything is not about tribe .their lots of food I do not eat and it's not about tribe it's just choice .
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by pocohantas(f): 12:40pm On Jun 27, 2020
baby124:

I once tried Oha leaves and it’s too hard like what a goat will chew. It has flavor but tastes thicker and harder than moi moi leaf and more like a grassy flavor. I did not enjoy it at all.

I rather soak it and Ugu leaves till soft. I am not used to eating hard leaves like that. Even Afang leaf I soak. Yoruba vegetables are very soft so not used to hard hard leaf.

Hahahahaha. Please don’t do this again. You made me burst out laughing here. Goat kwa!!?

If your oha leaf was hard like what a goat can chew, then it wasn’t fresh enough. Fresh oha is firm, but soft. You can use one finger to push it all down the stem. When next you want to buy oha, buy those ones that look LIMP. They would be as soft as you like.

Don’t buy the first,
Buy the second...

1 Like

Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by baby124: 12:44pm On Jun 27, 2020
pocohantas:

Hahahahaha. Please don’t do this again. You made me burst out laughing here. Goat kwa!!?

If your oha leaf was hard like what a goat can chew, then it wasn’t fresh enough. Fresh oha is firm, but soft. You can use one finger to push it all down the stem. When next you want to buy oha, but those ones that look LIMP. They would be as soft as you like.

Don’t buy the first,
Buy the second...
It was very hard, thick and fibrous. I was shocked. It was even worse because I like my soup with vegetable so I put a bit too much. Maybe wrong purchase. I will try again.
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jun 27, 2020
baby124:

cheesy cheesy
This is very funny cheesy

You bought oha that's not meant to be used for cooking. Once òha leave mature, we don't use it to cook. It's the half matured one. Not still on budding stage. Cos that one is not good too.
When u buy oha leave, u will take the good ones and discard the rest. Else it will spoil your soup.

When u blend ùkazi( afang) it will become very soft. U cannot make your afang with cut ùkazi. Even if you soak it. That is not how it's cooked.
Everything about a afang veggies are very soft after cooking. If u don't like grinding in the market, use blender with little water. Discard the water if need be so your afang won't be watery.
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by baby124: 12:54pm On Jun 27, 2020
sassysure:

cheesy cheesy
This is very funny cheesy

You bought oha that's not meant to be used for cooking. Once òha leave mature, we don't use it to cook. It's the half matured one. Not still on budding stage. Cos that one is not good too.
When u buy oha leave, u will take the good ones and discard the rest. Else it will spoil your soup.

When u blend ùkazi( afang) it will become very soft. U cannot make your afang with cut ùkazi. Even if you soak it. That is not how it's cooked.
Everything about a afang veggies are very soft after cooking. If u don't like grinding in the market, use blender with little water. Discard the water if need be so your afang won't be watery.
That afang leaf is hard my sister. Very if you are not used to it. That is why they use water leaf to give it slippery consistency and they grind it. That leaf is cancelled for me if I can’t soak it. Lmao.
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jun 27, 2020
baby124:

That afang leaf is hard my sister. Very if you are not used to it. That is why they use water leaf to give it slippery consistency and they grind it. That leaf is cancelled for me if I can’t soak it. Lmao.
If u like any soup that's not part of what u grow up with, go to your local market, ask about those women who sell stuffs in making soup. Ask particularly about a woman from such place e.g., ask about calabar woman if u want to make afang soup and igbo woman if you want to make oha soup. That's the people that will guide you into the secrets of making such soups.
If I want to make ewedu soup today, I will enter market and look for Yoruba mama.

Forget the texture,once u grind it, that will disappear.
I have dry ùkazi of 2017 here and I'm about get another shipment.

1 Like

Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by baby124: 1:21pm On Jun 27, 2020
sassysure:

If u like any soup that's not part of what u grow up with, go to your local market, ask about those women who sell stuffs in making soup. Ask particularly about a woman from such place e.g., ask about calabar woman if u want to make afang soup and igbo woman if you want to make oha soup. That's the people that will guide you into the secrets of making such soups.
If I want to make ewedu soup today, I will enter market and look for Yoruba mama.

Forget the texture,once u grind it, that will disappear.
I have dry ùkazi of 2017 here and I'm about get another shipment.
I guess it’s what you are used to and won’t know that it’s hard for others. Afang leaf is HARD. It’s not like a normal vegetable. Even Ugu is a learner where Afang de. I don’t understand the hype. If I don’t soak it I can’t enjoy it. It’s like those leaves that grow in the thick forest and ruminant animals eat when dried
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by Iceberg3: 1:25pm On Jun 27, 2020
ToluNazzal:
Hello Guys, Hope you all are having a fantastic day despite the odds.

Today, i'm introducing you guys to a dish that is common in the Middle East but which a lot of you can relate with, especially my Yoruba people. The dish is called 'MOLOKHIA SOUP' and it is made from the popular EWEDU leaf that you know. It is also called Jute leaf in English.

It can be eaten with Rice, swallow just like Ewedu or any how you want it.

It is something you may want to try out.

Take a look at this video to learn more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk_ke4QpDMY

Nice recipe.

You are equally beautiful grin
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jun 27, 2020
baby124:

I guess it’s what you are used to and won’t know that it’s hard for others. Afang leaf is HARD. It’s not like a normal vegetable. Even Ugu is a learner where Afang de. I don’t understand the hype. If I don’t soak it I can’t enjoy it. It’s like those leaves that grow in the thick forest and ruminant animals eat when dried
As you wish.
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by cococandy(f): 1:26pm On Jun 27, 2020
pocohantas:

That is not oha soup please. I don’t even know what that is, maybe some low budget bitter leaf. This is oha...
I’m almost screamed when I saw his picture. Disrespecting oha soup like that.
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by cococandy(f): 1:27pm On Jun 27, 2020
NinjaMetahuman:
I wouldn't touch that with even the longest pole.

I have eaten soups from different tribes. Afang is still my favorite so far..

But this one? I pass grin

Don’t eat: more for us cool
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by cococandy(f): 1:31pm On Jun 27, 2020
Fresh oha would be a dream come true right now
embarassed
pocohantas:

If your oha leaf was hard like what a goat can chew, then it wasn’t fresh enough. Fresh oha is firm, but soft. You can use one finger to push it all down the stem. When next you want to buy oha, buy those ones that look LIMP. They would be as soft as you like.

Don’t buy the first,
Buy the second...
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by pocohantas(f): 1:31pm On Jun 27, 2020
cococandy:
I’m almost screamed when I saw his picture. Disrespecting oha soup like that.

Na only am know where e bring the soup from.

What soup is that sef? grin grin

cococandy:
Fresh oha would be a dream come true right now
embarassed

That one will be very hard o. You know oha is not storable like ukazi and the likes.
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by cococandy(f): 1:32pm On Jun 27, 2020
baby124:

grin
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by cococandy(f): 1:34pm On Jun 27, 2020
pocohantas:

Na only am know where e bring the soup from.

What soup is that sef? grin grin

That one will be very hard o. You know oha is not storable like ukazi and the likes.

It is really hard. My aunt found fresh oha one time last month and she called me from where she was to celebrate over the phone grin. It had been many years since she last saw it.

Me too I’ll celebrate one day soon. grin

1 Like

Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by Nwabundo38(f): 1:43pm On Jun 27, 2020
NinjaMetahuman:

If you are looking for posion.
This is what poison looks like..

I would rather drink sniper than oha soup.

Looks like something cannibals made up in a hurry.
This is not oha soup please.

1 Like

Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by Bahamas95(m): 1:46pm On Jun 27, 2020
Looks nice but I can only eat it with eba not rice because e be like wetin go draw
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by NinjaMetahuman: 1:47pm On Jun 27, 2020
Nwabundo38:

This is not oha soup please.
you self see am? It was so disgusting that you self deny it.. no way a human beingwould eat that crap called oha soup.

Good good.

2 Likes

Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by hopexter(m): 3:03pm On Jun 27, 2020
AntiChristian:

I love food. Nutritious food! This is healthy! And I don't think this draws.

Sliced Okro still draws bro not to talk of Ewedu leaf
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by Pavore9: 3:28pm On Jun 27, 2020
cococandy:

It is really hard. My aunt found fresh oha one time last month and she called me from where she was to celebrate over the phone grin. It had been many years since she last saw it.

Me too I’ll celebrate one day soon. grin

Growing up, I can't recall us buying oha in Lagos because we had 3 oha trees on our property. It was not seasonal, all year round as all we to do was to "igbocha a" and fresh leaves sprouts. Whenever my brother was on any of the trees plucking the leaves, some of the igbo women who were our neighbours would choose those moments to come visit my mum with the assurance that they would leave with a fresh bundle! cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by abbey621(m): 3:37pm On Jun 27, 2020
Igbochief001:

Lol no wonder u called tunde bakery to chase out poor igbos out of Lagos

Or your brothers calling tinubu to come and help them against poor igbos

Only Nigeria stattistis would a state with higher GDP per capital have more poor people than a state with lower GDP per capital

Not true, california has more poor people than Ohio. China has more people than Malaysia....Pls delete your comment grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jun 27, 2020
abbey621:

Not true, california has more poor people than Ohio. China has more people than Malaysia....Pls delete your comment grin grin grin
What's China GDP per capital ? It's obvious lower than that of Malaysia
Who told u California has more poor people than Ohio or u can't illegal immigrants too ? ...smh
Re: Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) by abbey621(m): 3:56pm On Jun 27, 2020
Igbochief001:

What's China GDP per capital ? It's obvious lower than that of Malaysia
Who told u California has more poor people than Ohio or u can't illegal immigrants too ? ...smh

Malaysia's GDP per capita is less than 14,000USD and China's is more than 18,000USD.

Number of people living below or at poverty level in California is over 8 million
Number of people living below poverty level in Ohio is less than 3 million.

Point remains that your comment is false because you don't consider population and other factors.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Alomo Bitters Aka Casapreco: Whats The Big Deal? / Food: Whose Place Would You Visit? / The Roasted Chicken I Bought For N2,500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.