Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination (13982 Views)

Free Hepatitis Screening And Vaccination In Lagos / What Is The Difference Between The White Vitamin C Tablets And The Orange Ones? / Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by IBNgemini: 1:19pm On May 12, 2020
It seems even the woke and enlighten Nigerians goof when it comes to differentiating between a vaccine and a drug. I was on the Madagascar trend on twitter earlier today, I saw so many tweets from the so called INFLUENCERS saying we already have a cure in Madagascar organics, we don't need a vaccine. The Madagascar cure might be effective, but there are clinical and scientific backup on how it cures CoVid 19. The bedrock of modern medicine is MECHANISM, well the crux of this article is not on the Madagascar cure, it is to enlighten people on the difference between a vaccine and a drug.

What are vaccines?
In simple term vaccines are altered, inactive or killed microorganisms that are injected into the body system in order to elicit an immune response without disease manifestation. What this means is that a vaccine contains that particular virus or microbe(microorganism) responsible for a disease, e.g Smallpox virus is responsible for causing smallpox, the vaccine for smallpox will contain either a killed Smallpox virus or an altered Smallpox virus which has been weakened or ripped off its pathogenicity(ability to cause disease) to still capable of inciting an immune response.

The goal behind vaccination is not to treat you against the disease, but to prime your immune system in a way that when it encounters the real virus, the immune system will quickly ward off the virus because it is not a new thing to the system. Just picture this as "ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY SCENARIO," but in actual sense we were never beaten, because our first exposure to the virus which was the vaccine which did not lead to disease manifestation, unlike a natural kind of immunity where you fall sick during the first exposure to the virus, but after recovery(if you are lucky) your body will be primed against the virus, and any subsequent exposure your body already knows what it is dealing with and fight it off quickly.

So, how does this differ from medication?
By medication I mean therapeutic drugs, organics(herbs) etc. What a drug does it to cure you after you have been infected or probably diseased, it assists your immune system in fighting the virus, different kinds of drugs have different mechanisms by which they help in curing a particular disease. Some drugs are specific in the disease they treat, some have wide range,but in whatever a drug does it is not in its place to prevent from encountering the disease.

Clearly we can see the difference vaccines prevent you from falling sick, while drugs help you manage or get you back up after you have falling sick. A vaccine is useless to someone who is already sick, because there is nothing to prevent, but a drug will come in handy to salvage the situation. A healthy person has no business talking a drug hoping it is will be prevent them from having the disease, rather the person should be vaccinated so he/she won't fall sick when he/she encounters the real virus.

We can see the ultimate goal to fight this pandemic is to prevent its spread via vaccination. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.

Thank You.

84 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by Amhappy(f): 1:33pm On May 12, 2020
Vaccine is for prevention,therapeutics is for cure. I have learnt a lot from this pandemic. Na money I no make from am. Well done OP.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by ChybuzzDD(m): 1:38pm On May 12, 2020
You did well.
But remember vaccines are also drugs/medications.
You were using "vaccines" as though they're not drugs or medications.
Drugs or medications are defined as pharmacological agents that can be used to diagnose, cure, treat or prevent a disease condition.
So, a vaccine is a type of drug used to prevent a disease.
Now, your heading should read:

"The Difference Between Therapeutic(curative) Drugs And Preventive Drugs(Vaccines)".

Kudos, once again.

66 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by Nobody: 1:41pm On May 12, 2020
ChybuzzDD:
You did well.
Drugs or medications are defined as pharmacological agents that can be used to diagnose, cure, treat or prevent a disease condition.

"The Difference Between Therapeutic(curative) Drugs And Preventive Drugs(Vaccines)".

Kudos, once again.

Nna

Na people like you i no dey gree ask "what was your own answer" after exams.

Nice one.

65 Likes

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by IBNgemini: 1:51pm On May 12, 2020
ChybuzzDD:
You did well.

Kudos, once again.

In a broad sense, you are right they are all drugs, but if you go deeper in pharmacology they are separated from drugs. Key difference is that a drug is a chemical compound and it usually comes with a chemical formula while vaccines on the other hand are what we called Biopharmaceuticals [/b]or [b]Biologics.

Thanks.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by davidodiba(m): 12:15pm On May 13, 2020
Okay
Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by Nobody: 12:15pm On May 13, 2020
EngrOversabi:

Nna

Na people like you i no dey gree ask "what was your own answer" after exams.

Nice one.
Smile,,,,I can relate. It brings about HBPgrin. Na to do your best & leave the rest for God.

Nice info @OP

11 Likes

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by Ubykcee(m): 12:15pm On May 13, 2020
What do I know? I only follow what is good.

3 Likes

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by emmabest2000(m): 12:16pm On May 13, 2020
Summary
Vaccines for prevention
Drugs for cure

After contracted the virus vaccine is no longer useful for you , what you need is drugs grin

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by Perfecttouchade: 12:16pm On May 13, 2020
Cool

2 Likes

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by Elcashy: 12:17pm On May 13, 2020
You try shaa, though e no too correct
Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by ursullalinda(f): 12:17pm On May 13, 2020
This is not the kind of news my ears are itching for.......I just want to hear......there is a cure or a vaccine that's all......I want our lives back!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by Slawormir: 12:17pm On May 13, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr

Wow. Time to seek for knowledge
How i wish i have access to my weed this period

It would have helped me in reading between lines and assimilating this medication/vaccination difference

2 Likes

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by Nobody: 12:18pm On May 13, 2020
Most people knowns this...

Just do something practice to make us go back to normalcy. Not all this empty theories.. who e help?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by kingxsamz(m): 12:18pm On May 13, 2020
...Nice one op...
Religious clowns always trying to link vaccine to the Antichrist... undecided

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by joshepade(m): 12:18pm On May 13, 2020
I will explain it better than this long grammar:
Vaccines are like what Igbo people call 'Odechi', they serve as repellants in the body system against any form of disease.
Medicine is for cure after the disease has gained entrance.

8 Likes

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by PureGoldh(m): 12:18pm On May 13, 2020
Just stay safe Fam.... practice proper hygiene.

CoronaVirus no go see us

1 Like

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by AbidexFIRE: 12:19pm On May 13, 2020
Ati vaccination ati Medication all I care about is COVID-19 should go

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by jericco1(m): 12:20pm On May 13, 2020
undecided
Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by ForeThinker: 12:20pm On May 13, 2020
Meanwhile .....

2 Likes

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by bestman09(m): 12:20pm On May 13, 2020

Ok o, but am still asking why there is no vaccine yet for Malaria or the Hiv virus after all these years?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by ecolime(m): 12:21pm On May 13, 2020
Amhappy:
Vaccine is for prevention,therapeutics is for cure. I have learnt a lot from this pandemic. Na money I no make from am. Well done OP.
Correct

As per the money making, chemists selling medical face mask never knew they were gonna cash out big time this 2020.

1 Like

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by Tunext12(m): 12:21pm On May 13, 2020
IBNgemini:
It seems even the woke and enlighten Nigerians goof when it comes to differentiating between a vaccine and a drug. I was on the Madagascar trend on twitter earlier today, I saw so many tweets from the so called INFLUENCERS saying we already have a cure in Madagascar organics, we don't need a vaccine. The Madagascar cure might be effective, but there are clinical and scientific backup on how it cures CoVid 19. The bedrock of modern medicine is MECHANISM, well the crux of this article is not on the Madagascar cure, it is to enlighten people on the difference between a vaccine and a drug.

What are vaccines?
In simple term vaccines are altered, inactive or killed microorganisms that are injected into the body system in order to elicit an immune response without disease manifestation. What this means is that a vaccine contains that particular virus or microbe(microorganism) responsible for a disease, e.g Smallpox virus is responsible for causing smallpox, the vaccine for smallpox will contain either a killed Smallpox virus or an altered Smallpox virus which has been weakened or ripped off its pathogenicity(ability to cause disease) to still capable of inciting an immune response.

The goal behind vaccination is not to treat you against the disease, but to prime your immune system in a way that when it encounters the real virus, the immune system will quickly ward off the virus because it is not a new thing to the system. Just picture this as "ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY SCENARIO," but in actual sense we were never beaten, because our first exposure to the virus which was the vaccine which did not lead to disease manifestation, unlike a natural kind of immunity where you fall sick during the first exposure to the virus, but after recovery(if you are lucky) your body will be primed against the virus, and any subsequent exposure your body already knows what it is dealing with and fight it off quickly.

So, how does this differ from medication?
By medication I mean therapeutic drugs, organics(herbs) etc. What a drug does it to cure you after you have been infected or probably diseased, it assists your immune system in fighting the virus, different kinds of drugs have different mechanisms by which they help in curing a particular disease. Some drugs are specific in the disease they treat, some have wide range,but in whatever a drug does it is not in its place to prevent from encountering the disease.

Clearly we can see the difference vaccines prevent you from falling sick, while drugs help you manage or get you back up after you have falling sick. A vaccine is useless to someone who is already sick, because there is nothing to prevent, but a drug will come in handy to salvage the situation. A healthy person has no business talking a drug hoping it is will be prevent them from having the disease, rather the person should be vaccinated so he/she won't fall sick when he/she encounters the real virus.

We can see the ultimate goal to fight this pandemic is to prevent its spread via vaccination. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.

Thank You.
meanwhile follow https://www.fummieluv.com/?m=1 for latest naija update
Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by Nobody: 12:21pm On May 13, 2020
Hmmmmm

Check my signature to get your high quality dog food
Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by salbis(m): 12:22pm On May 13, 2020
Beautiful piece.
Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by rawtouch: 12:22pm On May 13, 2020
grin
Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by Flowkeyy: 12:22pm On May 13, 2020
We sha need Watin go give us assurance make we fit get our normal life back.

Thank you for schooling me... Now I know

1 Like

Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by kingxsamz(m): 12:24pm On May 13, 2020
awhybliss:
Most people knowns this...

Just do something practice to make us go back to normalcy. Not all this empty theories.. who e help?

Because you know it doesn't mean others do...
We learn everyday.
Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by mytime24(f): 12:24pm On May 13, 2020
K
Re: Covid 19 - The Difference Between Medication And Vaccination by tomdon(m): 12:26pm On May 13, 2020
How can someone mix the meaning of vaccine and drug??
Are you that daft??

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Females Having Beards And Moustaches / Quack Indian Doctors Allegedly Exploiting Nigeria In Abuja / Nigerian Villages Are Suffering, Government Not Doing Enough — WIN Foundation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.