Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,487 members, 7,801,242 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

Where The Story Began, My University Of Benin Undergraduate Days Experience. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Where The Story Began, My University Of Benin Undergraduate Days Experience. (350 Views)

It's A Great Shame To Those That Plans To Kill Me And Hijack My University / University Of Benin In Pictures / The Big Size Of An Undergraduate's Project Hardcopy (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Where The Story Began, My University Of Benin Undergraduate Days Experience. by pdunamis20: 10:10pm On May 12, 2020
Let me share this my experience with you on graduation from the University.

Please schedule some time on this…You will be happy you did. Especially for my Fresh and aspiring graduates.

11,10,9,8….0,Miss Celina counted down.Miss Celina is a young lecturer in the department. Boom! Everyone hurriedly submitted their papers and rushed out for the usual ceremonial exercise as perceived “Graduates” as friends are long waited outside with bags of water,mixed solution,wine,soft drinks,just to mention but a few. The water was to be poured on them with the white painted “sign out” shirt.

Their joy could not be contained including mine, with the shouts in the air “No more semester again”,” No more night class “, some funnily added ” No more jacking again”-This statement in particular caught my attention, but I will discus why below the lines.

I seem unpopular among the lower level students,so no much came to pour me water except for the departmental president and I decided not to let much persons know I will be finishing the day I did less they come and wait for me(I hated this activity the most…and I don’t give room for it in case you’re thinking to come and perform one on me-Pls park well o). The lower levels and friends did their work well,Thank God for my life. “Fine boiz like us,they no they too rush us”…As some persons were begging to be poured water on. This seem so serious as I watch.

I stood by the side as thoughts ran through my head. My interest wasn’t on how I am going to be free from ” book work” but why so much people find joy when they are been poured water on,I actually thought on one line that these water being poured on them will fetch them good fortune as new graduates. But I was wrong.Which ever motive they had, it’s not my subject of discussion. However,if I become the minister of Education, there are some activities I would humbly remove from the university system especially amongst the final year students.

Disclaimer: Am not against any one celebrating a successful outcome. In fact, I love celebrations. Did I say you shouldn’t perform your usual ceremony for final years?? Don’t read what ayam not saying o.

I have not made so much noise about being a final year students because am too busy thinking. My thoughts on how to add value to Lives. It got me too busy that I wasn’t interested in being part of the final year week for Fyb’s..some said I was being too spiritual (Na you oo). A big thanks to my own lecturer Dr. Samuel Adodo who taught us on “Thinking outside the box”. My greatest time as a student was in his class,I come out from each of his Career class challenged and with fresh business ideas and how to add value to my society.

Majority of the persons I have discussed with over time,feels being a graduate is all that is to be outstanding in the society. Haunty, I can I remind you that B.sc is becoming like a normal SSCE certificate that almost everyone has. In my place, most market women or men has Bsc…so why make so much noise. They had their certificate and yet they aren’t were they dreamt to be with their reasons,probably mistakes too anyway. This is where my challenge came from.

You’re a graduate of mechanical engineer,let me shock you..That mechanic boy on the street without primary education seems better of an Engineer than you;Congrats my Egbon electrical engineer that cannot fix a cable across a house; Huncle Economist who can proffer economic solutions to his father’s business. Well,I would not blame it on our perceived “graduates” I blame it on the school who though us to read and pass exam and then Some of them who give us exam to make sure we fail, and others who are so much lazy to mark our script-So na simple questions win am. Except for the few who exposed us to realities to becoming relevant in the world.

We are so keen to graduate with a first class or a “two-one” being too busy without getting the rudimentary to succeed in the outside world.

We came, we saw, we conquer is a major line amongst final year students who are confused (Come and beat me,am in my plans�)…my simple question: on what basis does this line stand. Let me leave it for my Haunties,and Huncles who are already angry with this to justify. Hmmmm

Education vs School
How it broke my heart that I so much wanted to be in school than to be educated…I came across an a young man who was an arm robber(Emphasis: Was) a graduate and he told me this and I quote him in his words…pls read carefully. Don’t read what am not saying:

” I regretted going to school than being educated. The emphasis was being a graduate of Uni-x than being exposed to realities that will make one a solution provider in the society “

So where did we get it wrong? My Huncles and Haunties set five days aside to celebrate,party on they ground of being graduates… ‘Omo,after you na you o’.

Many eyes are on you especially from your sponsor through school,they are expectant, perhaps you have younger ones…Most times,parents believe that being a graduate grantees your success. Gone are the days…You think this way in the days of Prof. Mon Nwadani, Prof Abeiku and others when the economy seemed better and when the university wall provided education at its real value.

This my is simple submission… Celebrate in simple pleasure, and gear up for challenges ahead. Being a graduate does not guarantee your being successful, most successful people in our world are not graduates, they are educated in that they have added value to their society.

It’s time to think,plan,fail,rise and create a revolution that the world has not seen. It takes beyond being a “Graduate” to do that.

Than waiting for miracles and collar jobs…create one. In the next two years,I will be creating a platform to employ 200 persons…so think and act in this line. The world is so fierce. Only intentional people survive.

Be intentional about life.

This is where the story began!
It’s not the point to claim Success…make every single moment count from now!

Let me get your get your response on the comment box.

Source: https://pdunamis.com/

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Good News Alert - Unity Schools Virtual Learning Platform / School Of Nursing, Lantoro Admission (NURSING) / Why Is It Important To Have Salesforce Online Training?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.