Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,319 members, 7,780,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:09 PM

Abuse Of Women In The Bible. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Abuse Of Women In The Bible. (4239 Views)

The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold / Two Preachers Exchange Words At UNIPORT Junction Over The Abuse Of God’s Word / Is This Where Jesus Endorsed Asoebi In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 2:50pm On May 13, 2020
This is a topic that bothers me a lot. The sexist way in which the bible portrays women as inferior beings and property of men. I have had these discussions with women over time and it seems most of them shy away from this topic.
This has made me wonder if they(women) have really ever sat down to read the bible or if they have read the bible,do they really comprehend what they have read?
In this thread I will not for once go out of the bible. I will quote sexist verses that portray women as inferior beings and everyone is free to look up these chapters and verses for themselves.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 2:54pm On May 13, 2020
1[i]. THE JEALOUSY TEST[/i].
Number chapter 5 verses 13-31.

13 And a man lie with her carnally, and it be hid from the eyes of her husband, and be kept close, and she be defiled, and there be no witness against her, neither she be taken with the manner;

14 And the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be defiled: or if the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be not defiled:

15 Then shall the man bring his wife unto the priest, and he shall bring her offering for her, the tenth part of an ephah of barley meal; he shall pour no oil upon it, nor put frankincense thereon; for it is an offering of jealousy, an offering of memorial, bringing iniquity to remembrance.

16 And the priest shall bring her near, and set her before the Lord:

17 And the priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel; and of the dust that is in the floor of the tabernacle the priest shall take, and put it into the water:

18 And the priest shall set the woman before the Lord, and uncover the woman's head, and put the offering of memorial in her hands, which is the jealousy offering: and the priest shall have in his hand the bitter water that causeth the curse:

19 And the priest shall charge her by an oath, and say unto the woman, If no man have lain with thee, and if thou hast not gone aside to uncleanness with another instead of thy husband, be thou free from this bitter water that causeth the curse:

20 But if thou hast gone aside to another instead of thy husband, and if thou be defiled, and some man have lain with thee beside thine husband:

21 Then the priest shall charge the woman with an oath of cursing, and the priest shall say unto the woman, The Lord make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the Lord doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell;

22 And this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make thy belly to swell, and thy thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen.

23 And the priest shall write these curses in a book, and he shall blot them out with the bitter water:

24 And he shall cause the woman to drink the bitter water that causeth the curse: and the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter.

25 Then the priest shall take the jealousy offering out of the woman's hand, and shall wave the offering before the Lord, and offer it upon the altar:

26 And the priest shall take an handful of the offering, even the memorial thereof, and burn it upon the altar, and afterward shall cause the woman to drink the water.

27 And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, that, if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people.

28 And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed.

29 This is the law of jealousies, when a wife goeth aside to another instead of her husband, and is defiled;

30 Or when the spirit of jealousy cometh upon him, and he be jealous over his wife, and shall set the woman before the Lord, and the priest shall execute upon her all this law.

31 Then shall the man be guiltless from iniquity, and this woman shall bear her iniquity.
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Shelumiel: 2:57pm On May 13, 2020
Dantedasz:
This is a topic that bothers me a lot. The sexist way in which the bible portrays women as inferior beings and property of men. I have had these discussions with women over time and it seems most of them shy away from this topic.
This has made me wonder if they(women) have really ever sat down to read the bible or if they have read the bible,do they really comprehend what they have read?
In this thread I will not for once go out of the bible. I will quote sexist verses that portray women as inferior beings and everyone is free to look up these chapters and verses for themselves.

In all this, what do you intend to achieve...?

1 Like

Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 3:09pm On May 13, 2020
2. The virginity test.

Deuteronomy Chapter 22 verses 13-21.

13 “If any man takes a wife and zgoes in to her and then hates her 14 and accuses her of misconduct and brings a bad name upon her, saying, ‘I took this woman, and when I came near her, I did not find in her evidence of virginity,’ 15 then the father of the young woman and her mother shall take and bring out the evidence of her virginity to the elders of the city in the gate. 16 And the father of the young woman shall say to the elders, ‘I gave my daughter to this man to marry, and he hates her; 17 and behold, he has accused her of misconduct, saying, “I did not find in your daughter evidence of virginity.” And yet this is the evidence of my daughter’s virginity.’ And they shall spread the cloak before the elders of the city. 18 Then the elders of that city shall take the man and whip2 him, 19 and they shall fine him a hundred shekels3 of silver and give them to the father of the young woman, because he has brought a bad name upon a virgin4 of Israel. And she shall be his wife. aHe may not divorce her all his days. 20 But if the thing is true, that evidence of virginity was not found in the young woman, 21 then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father’s house, and bthe men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she has cdone an outrageous thing in Israel by whoring in her father’s house. dSo you shall purge the evil from your midst.

1 Like

Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 3:09pm On May 13, 2020
3.MENSTRUAL PERIODS MAKE A WOMAN UNCLEAN.
Leviticus Chapter 15 verses 19-23.

19 “ ‘When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly periodq will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening.

20 “ ‘Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. 21 Anyone who touches her bed will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening.r 22 Anyone who touches anything she sits on will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. 23 Whether it is the bed or anything she was sitting on, when anyone touches it, they will be unclean till evening.
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Juliusmomoh: 3:11pm On May 13, 2020
Shelumiel:
Help me tell him
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Shelumiel: 3:17pm On May 13, 2020
Juliusmomoh:

Help me tell him
I have a funny feeling the OP is super idle

1 Like

Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Juliusmomoh: 3:20pm On May 13, 2020
Shelumiel:
Hahahaha i tell u oo grin

1 Like

Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 3:29pm On May 13, 2020
4. JUSTIFICATION FOR KIDNAPPING WOMEN.
Deuteronomy Chapter 21 verses 10-14.

10 When you go to war against your enemies and the Lord your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, 11 if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. 12 Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails 13 and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. 14 If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her.

3 Likes

Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Nobody: 3:32pm On May 13, 2020
Shelumiel:
What manner of question is this?
Are u gonna respond to the topic or not?
See diversion tactics.

@topic, for those it hold bondage. Not people like me.

6 Likes

Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 13, 2020
Juliusmomoh:

Hahahaha i tell u oo grin

And u are super busy.
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 3:38pm On May 13, 2020
5.IF YOUR WIFE DISPLEASES YOU SEND HER PACKING!
Deuteronomy Chapter 24 verse 1.

New Living Translation
“Suppose a man marries a woman but she does not please him. Having discovered something wrong with her, he writes a document of divorce, hands it to her, and sends her away from his house.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 3:45pm On May 13, 2020
6. WOMEN SHOULD BE SILENT IN THE CHURCH!
1st Corinthians Chapter14 verse 34.

All you women preaching are committing a grave sin.

Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 3:50pm On May 13, 2020
7. WOMEN SHOULD BE SUBMISSIVE.
Ephesians Chapter 5 verses 22-24.

22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by hakeem4(m): 3:56pm On May 13, 2020
Shelumiel:
to bring you to your sense, that the god you worship is kinda cruel

4 Likes

Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 3:56pm On May 13, 2020
8.WOMEN SHOULD BE IN SILENCE BEFORE ALL MEN. SHE SHOULD NOT TEACH!
1st Timothy Chapter 2 verses 11-14.

11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

1 Like

Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 4:02pm On May 13, 2020
9.SUBMISSION TO YOUR HUSBAND.
Colossians Chapter 3 verse 18.

Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, for that is what you should do as Christians.
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by 1Sharon(f): 4:04pm On May 13, 2020
Shelumiel:

So what if he's idle? Do you have things to do all the time?

4 Likes

Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 4:10pm On May 13, 2020
10.WOMEN SHOULD NOT WEAR MALE CLOTHES.
Deuteronomy Chapter 22 verse 5.

All you women wearing trousers and shorts are in danger of hell fire! shocked shocked

New Living Translation
“A woman must not put on men’s clothing, and a man must not wear women’s clothing. Anyone who does this is detestable in the sight of the LORD your God.
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by kalufelix(m): 4:10pm On May 13, 2020
The gender activists are coming for you... All these things don dey our tradition tey tey naa...
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 4:20pm On May 13, 2020
11.IF A MAN SLEEPS WITH A FEMALE SLAVE PROMISED ANOTHER MAN.

Leviticus Chapter 19 verses 20-22.

20 “If a man lies sexually with a woman who is a slave, assigned to another man and not yet ransomed or given her freedom, a distinction shall be made. They shall not be put to death, because she was not free; 21 but (A)he shall bring his compensation to the Lord, to the entrance of the tent of meeting, a ram for a guilt offering. 22 And the priest shall make atonement for him with the ram of the guilt offering before the Lord for his sin that he has committed, and he shall be forgiven for the sin that he has committed.
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 4:23pm On May 13, 2020
12. GENESIS 19 VERSES 1-8. Lot offers to give up his two virgin daughters to a crowd of braying of rapists in Sodom and Gomorrah.

Genesis 19:1–8

ESV

God Rescues Lot

19 The qtwo angels came to Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them and bowed himself with his face to the earth 2 and said, “My lords, rplease turn aside to your servant’s house and spend the night sand wash your feet. Then you may rise up early and go on your way.” They said, t“No; we will spend the night in the town square.” 3 But he pressed them strongly; so they turned aside to him and entered his house. And he made them a feast and baked unleavened bread, and they ate.

4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house. 5 uAnd they called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? vBring them out to us, that we wmay know them.” 6 Lot went out to the men at the entrance, shut the door after him, 7 and said, “I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly. 8 Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. Only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof.”
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by CAPSLOCKED: 5:32pm On May 13, 2020
Shelumiel:

THE SAME IDLENESS THAT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CHURCH SERVICES, CRUSADES, VIGILS, HANDBILL DISTRIBUTIONS, BUS & STREET EVANGELISM, AND EVERYTHING ELSE INVOLVED.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Kobojunkie: 5:39pm On May 13, 2020
Dantedasz:
6. WOMEN SHOULD BE SILENT IN THE CHURCH!
1st Corinthians Chapter14 verse 34.

All you women preaching are committing a grave sin.
Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says.

Why a grave sin? Was paul an authority figure as far as defining what sin was or was Jesus the authority in this case?
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Kobojunkie: 5:41pm On May 13, 2020
Dantedasz:
7. WOMEN SHOULD BE SUBMISSIVE.
Ephesians Chapter 5 verses 22-24.

22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Did Paul change the rules as far as Jesus's commands are concerned? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Shelumiel: 6:18pm On May 13, 2020
sassysure:

What manner of question is this?
Are u gonna respond to the topic or not?
See diversion tactics.

@topic, for those it hold bondage. Not people like me.

Thats a myopic way doing things. The term
bondage is a relative term and you should stop judging people based on your own shallow perspective.
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Shelumiel: 6:18pm On May 13, 2020
[s]
CAPSLOCKED:

THE SAME IDLENESS THAT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CHURCH SERVICES, CRUSADES, VIGILS, HANDBILL DISTRIBUTIONS, BUS & STREET EVANGELISM, AND EVERYTHING ELSE INVOLVED.
[/s] Rubbish and baseless as usual.
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 6:47pm On May 13, 2020
13.EXODUS Chapter 20 verse 17.
Women are grouped as properties of men!.

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Funaki: 6:50pm On May 13, 2020
Genesis 38:24-26 kjv
24 And it came to pass about three months after, that it was told Judah, saying, Tamar thy daughter in law hath played the harlot; and also, behold, she is with child by whoredom. And Judah said, Bring her forth, and let her be burnt.

25 When she was brought forth, she sent to her father in law, saying, By the man, whose these are, am I with child: and she said, Discern, I pray thee, whose are these, the signet, and bracelets, and staff.

26 And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She hath been more righteous than I; because that I gave her not to Shelah my son. And he knew her again no more.

Summary: Judah bleeped a prostitute, not knowing she was his daughter in law. When he heard she was pregnant, he wanted her burnt to death until he realised he was the father angry angry angry.

Moral lesson: A man can sleep freely with a prostitute, but a pregnant woman should be burnt alive for sleeping with someone else.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Kobojunkie: 6:53pm On May 13, 2020
Funaki:
Genesis 38:24-26 kjv
Summary: Judah bleeped a prostitute, not knowing she was his daughter in law. When he heard she was pregnant, he wanted her burnt to death until he realised he was the father angry angry angry.

Moral lesson: A man can sleep freely with a prostitute, but a pregnant woman should be burnt alive for sleeping with someone else.
The moral of the story? Was judah applauded for these acts by God?
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Dantedasz(m): 7:05pm On May 13, 2020
14. LEVITICUS Chapter 12 Verses 1-5.
If a woman gives birth to a Male child,she becomes impure for 7 days and if she gives birth to a female she becomes impure for 14 days. I wonder how impure she becomes if she has male and female twins
?

1The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 2 “Speak to the people of Israel, saying, If a woman conceives and bears a male child, then ushe shall be unclean seven days. vAs at the time of her menstruation, she shall be unclean. 3 And on the weighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised. 4 Then she shall continue for thirty-three days in the blood of her purifying. She shall not touch anything holy, nor come into the sanctuary, until the days of her purifying are completed. 5 But if she bears a female child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her menstruation. And she shall continue in the blood of her purifying for sixty-six days
Re: Abuse Of Women In The Bible. by Funaki: 7:29pm On May 13, 2020
Kobojunkie:

The moral of the story? Was judah applauded for these acts by God?

Did I say he was applauded? angry angry angry. He wasn't condemned either. The lineage of David and Jesus came from that same act.

By the way, the law God gave Moses supported the burning of priest's daughters who are promiscuous. No mention of male children sleeping around.

If Hophi and Phinehas were females, they'll have been burnt to death according to Leviticus. undecided undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

4 Reasons Why Atheists Create And Use Multiple Fake ID Monikers On Nairaland. / The Paradox Of Nihilism- A Problem For Atheists And Humanists / Mr Seun, I Think Now Is The Right Time To Stop Swearing On Islamic Threads.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.