Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,842 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:03 AM

Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff (42356 Views)

Peter Obi Hails The Appointment Of Ibrahim Gambari As Chief Of Staff / Emir Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari Thanks Buhari For Appointing Gambari As Chief Of Staff / Buhari Appoints Ibrahim Agboola Gambari As New Chief of Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by Great100000: 7:29am On May 14, 2020
• Tinubu, Sanwo-Olu, others optimistic on governance.

• CUPP urges caution over appointment.

The newly appointed Chief of Staff to the President (CoS), Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, yesterday declared he was picked for the job because President Muhammadu Buhari needs his competence and loyalty to succeed.

Asked what Nigerians should expect from him as Chief of Staff, Gambari told reporters at the Presidential Villa in Abuja: “We have not started. I’ll have to find out. I don’t report directly to the nation, I report to the president.”

He said he would be offering his “loyalty, competence and support” to the president, adding that as the chief of staff, his guiding principle would be “to serve the president to the best of my ability.”

Buhari formerly announced Gambari as the chief of staff shortly before the commencement of the resumed Federal Executive Council (FEC). During the session, a moment of silence was observed in honour of some deceased members of FEC at various times including a former Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, the late Chief Richard Akinjide and the late Chief of Staff, Mallam Abba Kyari.

Gambari, Nigeria’s former permanent representative to the United Nations (UN) arrived at the Villa at 10:40 a.m. and was received by senior presidency officials including the director of protocol, Alhaji Yakubu Ahmed and the permanent secretary, State House, Mallam Tijani Umar.

Also present were the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs (Office of the Vice President) Amb. Abdullahi Gwari and Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media, Mallam Garba Shehu.

Reactions, meanwhile, have been trailing the appointment of Gambari, with the national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Bola Ahmed Tinubu saying: “At this time when the entire world is combating the coronavirus pandemic and the economic consequences thereof, Prof. Gambari’s expertise and international reputation will help Nigeria galvanise national, regional and international efforts and resources to contain this viral menace and advance Nigeria’s interests on other important matters.”

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in a statement affirmed: “Indeed, Prof. Gambari ticks all the boxes as a round peg in a round hole. The APC is confident that Gambari, a prince of Ilorin Emirate, will bring to bear his scholarly intellect, international network, professional and administrative experience in ensuring the smooth running of the office of the president and support the government to provide good governance and successfully deliver the Next Level programmes for the benefit of Nigerians.”

Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu said he had no doubt that the “appointment is a major win for the presidency and the nation as a whole, especially coming at a time when Nigeria is confronting a major challenge with global outlook.”

He added: “The choice of Prof. Gambari as successor to the late Mallam Abba Kyari is commendable. Gambari is not just an academic or a diplomat; he is a fine gentleman, a decent Nigerian who epitomises the Nigerian dream.”

On his part, Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq said: “The appointment is clearly fit for purpose and is deserving for our own Prof. Gambari whose record of service as a diplomat and global statesman is unblemished.”

AbdulRazaq, who is the governor of Gambari’s home state, prayed to God to protect the CoS on the “delicate national assignment.”

Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello noted: “Just as the late Chief of Staff Abba Kyari played a prominent role in the success of the Buhari administration, your coming in to fill the vacuum will further add more colour to the administration’s achievements.”

Bello’s Yobe State counterpart, Mai Mala Buni said he was optimistic that Gambari would deploy his wealth of experience to bring good governance to bear on the Buhari administration.

According to a former national secretary of the Labour Party and constitutional lawyer, Dr Kayode Ajulo, “Prof. Gambari is a core technocrat with robust wealth of experience. We expect nothing else than those lofty ideas on good governance as being promoted by the UN and the Prof. Gambari-Albright Commission.” He further prayed that the “appointment comes with the much-needed additional expertise and sanity in the country’s seat of power.”

The Yoruba Council of Elders (YCE) also praised the choice of the new CoS, saying: “YCE is convinced that the appointment of Prof. Gambari is indicative of President Buhari’s determination to run a people-centered progressive administration that will command the respect of the international community.”

The Joint Action Committee of Northern Youths Association (JACOM) noted: “We have no doubt in our minds that his huge experience as a seasoned diplomat, his wisdom and guidance, will help the administration strive to much greater heights in delivering the dividends of democracy to ordinary Nigerians, especially the teeming youth of this great country.”

But the opposition group, the Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP), said it was welcoming the appointment with caution. “We shall watch him closely as he resumes duty at the Presidential Villa. We shall hold him responsible for all his actions and judge him by them,” the coalition said.

Explaining its cautious stance, CUPP said it “is not unaware of the fact that Prof. Gambari is a die-hard agent of the late military dictator, Sani Abacha, and did everything on earth to defend the numerous atrocities of the Abacha regime while serving as General Abacha’s UN representative, including supporting the evil execution of the late activist, Ken Saro Wiwa, and the annulment of June 12 election.”

It added: “In the meantime, the CUPP is calling on Prof. Gambari to use the experience he has garnered on the global stage for years to assist the country and to pull out his boss, the president, from the deep pit of incompetence where he has sunk.

“We remind him that with his new appointment, he has been placed in a strategic position to help re-direct the nation from the path of destruction which his boss has been moving it to.”

Also, a former deputy national publicity secretary of the APC, Timi Frank, urged Gambari not to toe what he termed “the usual path of Villa cabal.”

“I urge you on behalf of Nigerians to bring your wealth of experience and fatherly disposition to unite the country as you carry on your duties as the chief of staff to the president.

“It is a fact that you are not the president but I believe you can influence people-oriented policies in order to ameliorate the hardship in the country. Be the people’s chief of staff.”

https://m.guardian.ng/news/why-buhari-appointed-gambari-as-chief-of-staff/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by DaddyGngeess(m): 7:31am On May 14, 2020
Good one
Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by Great100000: 7:34am On May 14, 2020
PureGoldh:
Wetin we know be say...Make the man utilize his office Wella.

Best wishes
Good One.
Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by Bluntguy: 7:38am On May 14, 2020
If you no dey loyal, wetin you gain?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by nrexzy: 7:43am On May 14, 2020
I answer to d presidency alone
.... Fear em ooo

12 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by xreal: 7:46am On May 14, 2020
May God help and guide him.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by AmazingMOG: 7:46am On May 14, 2020
grin

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by makewetalk2: 7:46am On May 14, 2020
Gambari served as the Minister for External Affairs between 1984 and 1985 under General Muhammadu Buhari's military regime.

The above is the sole reason for his appointment.
Old crooks. All Buhari's major appointments are the same old criminals that he worked with in his previous regime. He is not honest at all. An honest man is a progressive man. Returning to the same old people who hold the key to the SECRET box means keeping your secrets safe

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by Nobody: 7:47am On May 14, 2020

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by princeade86(m): 7:47am On May 14, 2020
Bloggers and gambari issue now is 5&6. Gambari inside toilet, Gambari dis, Gambari that.
Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by k4kings(m): 7:47am On May 14, 2020
I didn't read that.

Nice reasons though �
Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by nairavsdollars(f): 7:48am On May 14, 2020
Fake news. Did Buhari tell them that?
Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by Jobola1: 7:48am On May 14, 2020
Why did Buhari appointed Gambari?
Because Abba Kyari had Covik n died.

Thazzal, next topic please.

5 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by humilitypays(m): 7:48am On May 14, 2020
He is too old...he has been in corrupt government corridor of power since 1970s, what else does he have to offer at almost 80yrs. Buhari is just using his position as Nigeria's President to reward his associates and his Abacha looting gang from the time they were military dictators

We have young, intelligent Nigerians home and abroad that can do the job far better than him.....but people like bigot Buhari prefer and worship ancient of days who refuse to rest like him angry

When I mention young people, I am not talking about foolish people like Bello and Dino Malaye of Kogi.....there are great technocrats he can appoint to do the job....this man is my dad's age for C's sake and my dad even rejected a political appointment in our state some years ago citing age...that younger people should be considered, that's how men of integrity and honor behave not greedy bastards whose only mission in life is to grab every government offer as a one chance opportunity to further enrich their filthy bank accounts, wake up!

I like Boss Mustapha of course....he would have done the job better.....I love some people in that his corrupt Presidency though...I love Osinbajo if not that he compromised a lot to belong politically which is bad for him......so don't think my comment is tribal.....I am not even from Lagos I used as example.

7 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by ecolime(m): 7:49am On May 14, 2020
Asked what Nigerians should expect from him as Chief of Staff, Gambari told reporters at the Presidential Villa in Abuja: “We have not started. I’ll have to find out. I don’t report directly to the nation, I report to the president.”

He said he would be offering his “loyalty, competence and support” to the president, adding that as the chief of staff, his guiding principle would be “to serve the president to the best of my ability.”

Meaning his loyalty is to his master not the nation.

8 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by Renida: 7:49am On May 14, 2020
How interesting
Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by bigfish3k: 7:50am On May 14, 2020
Another fulani
I understand that his lineage captured ilorin till date

4 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by nwamabo247(m): 7:50am On May 14, 2020
whatever reason let them lead us well.suffering is too much in the land

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by Chekwube1989(m): 7:50am On May 14, 2020
Maybe because he is from a middle belt or because he is a Muslim pls don't quote me undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by AdaoraNK(f): 7:50am On May 14, 2020
He said he does not report to the nation.

Lets remind this prof that all works he'll be doing there is all about the nation, I thought they said he is intelligent?

With this response, he'll be worse than late Kyari.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by donmik: 7:51am On May 14, 2020
Competence and loyalty from Abacha's loyalist and accomplice cannot help this country.
Una stop d deceive us. Why not a man from a true Christian family for once?
Liars alliance

3 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by jojofola: 7:51am On May 14, 2020
We don hear.
If I read, make I break.

Na still same folks.

Black foreheads.
Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by Benwallt(m): 7:52am On May 14, 2020
See alien talk. According to Fela " na padipadi government we dey yehparipa o." He has said it all, we shldnt expect anything from him.

2 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by ojun50(m): 7:52am On May 14, 2020
OK OK OK OK OK OK
Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by ofiko123(m): 7:52am On May 14, 2020
Kk..
Re: Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff by Premiumwriter: 7:54am On May 14, 2020
Padipadi government, nothing new.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Uche Ogbuagu: Why I Dumped Ihedioha, PDP For APC / The Moment Tinubu Admired PDP Logo On Atiku's Cloth / Reps To FG: Direct DSTV, Others To Implement Pay-As-You-Go Tariff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.