Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? (25342 Views)

Nigeria Better Together, Tinubu Urges Agitators Of Secession / 2023; Atiku, Tinubu Will Govern Nigeria Better Than Buhari - Junaid Mohammed / 'We Will Make Nigeria Liveable Again' - Buhari Assures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jun 13, 2020
First of, i will announce on inaugural that every person with Nigeria's wealth is free to have it but they can do well by investing it massively in Nigeria. Any other corrupt practice hence attracts death penalty

Second is to cut every proceeds of oil.... every proceeds of oil after the 13% has been given back to the state must go into Health and Educational sector, for three years.

Third, i will organize people to make genuine Reform of the Constitution. How?

They would be drawn from all walks of life, from the last man on the street to the professor in our schools.
A. Every Ethinic group must come up with a document that shows their aspirations, collective goals.
B. Every group must conduct a free and fair election that would produce people to fill the constitution reform forum.

After all this... then we can change our own curriculum to that that suits the documents tendered by the Ethinic groups.

Then after 3 years of all. Every part of Nigeria that feels like leaving are free to. After which True federalism will be in place. Every state should keep its resources.

Then how will Fg fare.... Every state must pay 20% derivatives back to the federation account.

We only need the senate that must consists of 5 people each from every state. (Constitution reform will enhance this).

What do i even know?
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Litmus: 5:51pm On Jun 13, 2020
Nigeria requires University of Administrating and Municipal Town planning or something of the sort. No one should rightly go into civil service without a degree in how to run nations; it is madness that this happens, leaving us with incompetent clueless leaders. In fact the entire world needs this. You shouldn’t worry that institutes like these would leave us with boring, stuffed-shirt bureaucratic types since a foundation in principles and rigour of education does not void one of imaginative flare.
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by antifat(m): 5:56pm On Jun 13, 2020
1.) I will make sure that the salaries and allowances of Law Makers are reduced drastically.
This might be hard though, but I will make sure the money sent to the Nationa Assembly will be re-adjusted. The cumbersome and huge amount makes our election do or die.

2.) Education will be my number one target: All children must be in school. The public schools will be nourished and fortified with finance and work force. No country can develop with investing in Education.
NIGERIA has the highest number of our of school children in sub Saharan Africa.

3.) Massive Free Health care and I will have a task force that will monitor this. Not money will be pumped to the health sector. Health workers will received their money as at when due. This will reduce fatality rate in the country.

4.) All Nigerians will be capture in a social register of a national data base that will encapsulate all citizenry’s. This way we will check make crime in all level. If you commit a crime you can’t escape so people will avoid it.

5.) Nigeria elections will be conducted with the use of Blcokchain. I won’t explain further on this!

1 Like

Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by toby2(m): 6:01pm On Jun 13, 2020
I will first call the citizens, show them the blue print of the new Nigeria. I will have all the dirty secrets of the past leaders, probably waste all of them. I will re-ammend the constitution, minimum requirement for a president must be MSc. I will scrap the post of state Governors. From the president to the LGS. I will divide the country into residential and industrial sectors, workers will be employed on shift basis so that the industrial sector can accommodate every one. I will legalize weed and prostitution, but you need a permit which can only be given to a certain age group and u can only use twice a week. every individual is permitted to 2stick of weed per week, if u wanna smoke, and permitted to visit a brothel twice a week(this is to eliminate abuse and rape) I will place capital punishment on crimes such as corruption, rape, and some other stuffs...
Education will be a must, worship centres will be one in each LGA. nothing like state of origin, only ur Lg will be required. I will eliminate Tribe, but promote every culture...

lemme just stop here sha

I really wish I could see this dream come to pass cos of the way the society is going... how will our future be? what will our legacy to our children
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by chigoizie7(m): 6:12pm On Jun 13, 2020
Sanction the political assasination of all the leaders from 1999 to 2020 and make sure that all their properties and wealths are taken back by the government. Then I will head to the ministries, and their permanent secretaries. Then to the police and other enforcements, then to the universities. And then decentralize the nation. Remove the quota systems.
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by adebayo987: 6:17pm On Jun 13, 2020
No time to make noise... Give me the presidential seat first!
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by NiCurious: 6:34pm On Jun 13, 2020
tevinsolt:
Security - Decentralise the Police, given the constitution makes provision for that. Establish a zero-tolerance policy in the Police Force and the Military. This approach is a strategy to eradicate the abuse of power by law enforcement on citizens. Push a bill that allows for a jury of citizens to serve as the balanced check that needed to keep the force accountable. This will reinforce the idea of a government by people in the our democracy.
Nysc - Mandatory 1 year military reserve service for all citizens. Eligible for enrollment by the age of 18 and must be completed by age 35.
Citizen database - for identification

Infrastructure - Leverage the service of the enlisted Nysc members in a Govenrment driven accelerated infrastructural development, obviously cooperation with experts. we'll create 3000 miles of roads and 1500 miles of rail line respectively every year. Increased infrastructural capacity will positively impact investments in logistics and transportation and industrilization.
[b]I'll further deconstruct power distribution, will allow distributors to compete for customers without location restriction. [/b]

Education enormous investment in Public schools starting from Elementary all the way up to the University. We'll rennovate our schools, provide adequate supplies for the classrooms, build Federal public Libraries in every capital city.
Open up Federal Universities for international research purposes, sponsor research in Medicines, Science and Technology
Incentivize computer and information technology/science/engineering studies all across the country.

Tourism, allow ease of access for innovative ideas from local start-ups, international brands to launch their businesses. this will be another avenue for job creation creation through small businesses, and possible investment opportunities.

And finally use my execute powers to push for a decentralized federal government, and more independent states, a change to the constitution that will define clearly the rights of persons and institutions and firmly uphold those rights with the necessary checks and balance in place.

Nice overall, but at the bolded/coloured--if I understand your meaning--logistically that seems inefficient, as different companies will have to run parallel services to the same areas, which will increase their distribution costs, and therefore the costs to the customer, competition or not.
Where I'm living, power generation and distribution is kind of an arm's length corporation of the government, with the mandate to generate sufficient power to meet demand, keep it on, and keep it affordable. Yes, it receives subsidies if necessary. But power is 24/7 unless a storm knocks a line down. A different model, but it's working.
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by ofemigeorge(m): 6:48pm On Jun 13, 2020
Lock the borders. Strictly made in Nigeria goods. Beef up security around the borders against smugglers and lastly make a woman my vice president ...they have better look at very picture.
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by themanderon: 6:52pm On Jun 13, 2020
Gather all the rogues that looted and destroyed the nation and purge them from the nation. So long as they are still hanging around the nation will forever be in limbo as they will continue to be a virus willing to spread and kill the host(Nigeria), then implement a constitution that will give power back to the people to truly elect their leaders and boot them out if they are not performing. Then I will empower the judiciary to be truly independent. This system of having a President appointing judges is not working for us here as we can see what is happening with the judiciary today they are too tied to the apron strings of the president giving the nation a banana republic outlook. We are just not advanced enough to be fair and diplomatic in doing the right thing like is experienced in saner climes. .
square pegs in square holes would be running the economy experts from all divides that is not padi padi runs while the nation burns.
Truth is on a critical analysis of this nation one would realize that it was never designed to work. The system has been rigged to support the very few especially those military guys that won the war.
It was not only the Igbo's that lost that war but the entire citizens if the nation. That is why we are where we are today.
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by grandpoh(m): 6:52pm On Jun 13, 2020
Demonitize politics....
Every other things will follow suite
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Modikko(m): 6:59pm On Jun 13, 2020
You have not answered me. Have you paid your dues?
DimIsaac10:
See mentality. Oh God, help your son.
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by daporclooney(m): 7:01pm On Jun 13, 2020
7-point Agenda for Nigerian

1)Close Northern Borders -First day in the office - I will close all our Northern Border and create New 10 military base at the frontline and review our current strategy towards the insurgents.

2) Military Decentralization - all the regions have a base, South-South - Headquarters Naval/Marine in Port-Harcourt, North-central retain the headquarters for Air Force, Mid-Belt headquarters - Land Army, recruitment, training. Southwest - are skillfil at creation of all our military hardware (partnership with innosun), south- west Lagos - control the Special /Elite forces, Abuja will have the intelligence central of all the bases and all the service posting and administrative will be reporting.

3) Revoke the Genco and Disco licenses, and engage serious German companies or US companies,give them the mandate to generate 45,000+ megahertz in space 3-4years.

4) Close Nigeria port to Chinese good influx, fix the power sector in industrial zones to begin production in place like Aba, Lagos,ogun state. I support the progress in agriculture, by give more insurance cover against over production waste, provide storage facilities.

5) change our education curiculum [/b]completely and re-engineering education sectors - toward entrepreneurship and NYSC be Mandatory year of learning entrepreneurial skills, with start up capital of #2.5million (to be released in 4-trances)

6) [b]Recapitalise the banks and instructions to CBN to peg the interest rate 7-9.5%
, redirect the banks to engage

7) cut cost of running governance by 50%, review constitution to empower to Local government.

God Bless Nigeria.
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by tammie24: 7:27pm On Jun 13, 2020
Who's asking
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Cromagnon: 7:31pm On Jun 13, 2020
Kingosytex:
Well, the first step will be to reduce the number of law makers breakers in the legislature.

Those guys are practically doing nothing to earn the billions they are being paid.

I will also champion massive sensitisation and re-orientation. Virtues like truth, honesty and contentment must be inculcated in the lives of the upcoming generations because this present generation is a lost cause.
you will be impeached
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Cromagnon: 7:32pm On Jun 13, 2020
MrBrownJay1:
1) bring all polithieves in front of the fire squad and kill them publicly
2) vote a new law that will give automatic death penalty to polithieves, ritualist, kidnappers, rapist, armed robber etc
3) review all past shaddy deals with foreign companies that have their hands deep in Nigeria's pocket...
and when they chook finger in your yansh and find you guilty of some small corruption nko?don't throw stones in glass house
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Cromagnon: 7:33pm On Jun 13, 2020

Very good, Mr Brown, but the powers that be, the real puppet masters that have ruled this country since 1960 will make your presidency a short one. This country is designed the way it is for the few at the top to loot dry.
You talk as if they can't be ousted
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Cromagnon: 7:34pm On Jun 13, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

sadly, thats exactly how Nigerians are therefore its usually that type of people that gets into power... a very selfish person who only cares about his own pockets (and that of his mafia compadres).

i hope someday Nigerians will rise up like the Egyptians did a few years back....and say NO MORE!
that's a Rational Person. Are you not selfish? How many other people's bills have you Paid?
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Cromagnon: 7:35pm On Jun 13, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

sadly, thats exactly how Nigerians are therefore its usually that type of people that gets into power... a very selfish person who only cares about his own pockets (and that of his mafia compadres).

i hope someday Nigerians will rise up like the Egyptians did a few years back....and say NO MORE!
so that we can be in proper chaos like Egypt is now. From frying pan to fire?
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by ndat(m): 7:55pm On Jun 13, 2020
I will ensure regional system of government comes to full force ie North, south and east regions.

Prof. Zulum be made premier of Northern region
Prof Ben Ayade be made premier of Eastern region
Seyi Makinde be made premier of Southern region.

Myself the prime minister.

Operation develop your region while central handles security issues and infrastructural development with remissions from regional government.
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jun 13, 2020
tevinsolt:
Security - Decentralise the Police, given the constitution makes provision for that. Establish a zero-tolerance policy in the Police Force and the Military. This approach is a strategy to eradicate the abuse of power by law enforcement on citizens. Push a bill that allows for a jury of citizens to serve as the balanced check that needed to keep the force accountable. This will reinforce the idea of a government by people in the our democracy.
Nysc - Mandatory 1 year military reserve service for all citizens. Eligible for enrollment by the age of 18 and must be completed by age 35.
Citizen database - for identification

Infrastructure - Leverage the service of the enlisted Nysc members in a Govenrment driven accelerated infrastructural development, obviously cooperation with experts. we'll create 3000 miles of roads and 1500 miles of rail line respectively every year. Increased infrastructural capacity will positively impact investments in logistics and transportation and industrilization.
I'll further deconstruct power distribution, will allow distributors to compete for customers without location restriction.

Education enormous investment in Public schools starting from Elementary all the way up to the University. We'll rennovate our schools, provide adequate supplies for the classrooms, build Federal public Libraries in every capital city.
Open up Federal Universities for international research purposes, sponsor research in Medicines, Science and Technology
Incentivize computer and information technology/science/engineering studies all across the country.

Tourism, allow ease of access for innovative ideas from local start-ups, international brands to launch their businesses. this will be another avenue for job creation creation through small businesses, and possible investment opportunities.

And finally use my execute powers to push for a decentralized federal government, and more independent states, a change to the constitution that will define clearly the rights of persons and institutions and firmly uphold those rights with the necessary checks and balance in place.

its not that easy bro
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Hezmatosky: 8:08pm On Jun 13, 2020
When I become the president, nothing stops from bringing foreigners to become ministers in the country. Firstly, I will bring Chinese to become minister of technology, an American to become minister of defense, an Indian to become health minister, a UK to head education and a german to head power. That has been my plans angry

1 Like

Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 13, 2020
kikero:

1. Raise money for the national treasury by removing all subsides, especially subsides on petrol and electricity.

This would enable Nigeria save money, and attract foreign investment in our power and petroleum sector.

Also raise taxes, so that Nigeria can have a tax to GDP ratio of at least 20 percent

2. Fight corruption. Aggressively implement IPPIS

3. Spend more on technical and vocational education, with the aim of training a well equipped technical cadre to build our industries

4. Increase tarrifs on imported goods that we already manufacture. Incentives provided to manufacturers including ease of importing raw materials and spare parts... including favorable dollar regimens.

5.End funding for Hajj and Christian pilgrimage. If you want to go on pilgrimage,do it on your own money. Thanks.

6. 10 year plan to link all state capitals by railways, with the eventual aim of privatising Nigeria railways at the end. If possible, loans would be taken to achieve that goal.

7. Tertiary education will no longer be subsidized. Universities would be free to raise fees . Only Polytechnic and colleges of education would be subsidized, and funded. We must train more technicians, primary school teachers , et Al.

8. Federal character at all levels.

9 More funding and training for our special forces and COIN training.

10. The police will be reformed. All policemen must undergo three years training with the aim of getting a bachelor's degree in policing. This training will be reduced to one year for graduate recruits. In addition, efforts would be made to increase funding for the Police. Also efcc, icpc, naptip, dss will be merged into a new agency called the National Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Bureau.which would become a branch of the Police, reviving the old E department.

11. Derivation for oil producing areas will be increased by 10 percent to 23% with an option of further five percent increase, aim towards increased development

12. On power, we must build 3 nuclear power plants, capable and f generating 5000mw each in the next 10 years

Baba I am a secret admirer... You are a very knowledgeable.

But half of these things won't work...
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by brainbox80: 8:34pm On Jun 13, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
Firstly, permit me to sound it clear that Nigeria's problems cannot be solved in few days. However, I strongly believe that there is nothing wrong in Nigeria that cannot be made right again. Nevertheless, if I am President of Nigeria, I will proactive champion a rebirth of the Nigeria of our dreams. I will focus my first 2 years in office majorly on two key areas: Agriculture and Power. I will make agriculture so lucrative that a lot of our teeming unemployed youths will opt for careers in Agriculture thereby making Nigeria a center that can produce almost every thing that we feed on and also creating vast export hub that will boost our economy and redirect attention from this mono economy that we operate today. I will influence and lobby the national assembly to make laws that will take away Power generation from the exclusive lists of the Federal Government. That way there will be massive competition in power generation and distribution as every state local governments and individuals can generate there own power and sell to their citizens at. That will make power supply very affordable and accessible which will solve power problem for ever.
For the other years following, I will focus more on Road construction, infrastructure and education development. Also, lobbying for laws/bills that will grant resources control to states will be very paramount.
With well articulated plans well strategized, all this can be achieved and together we can rebuild the Nigeria �� of our dream again.
God bless FRN.
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by sirp9898(m): 8:37pm On Jun 13, 2020
When Biafra as a nation come to reality by the grace of God we will teach you people by that time not now
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Litmus: 8:46pm On Jun 13, 2020
Coincidentally, in reference to border security and our nonsense neighbourhood that I mentioned earlier, look at what I’ve just this minute seen on DonKlericuzio’s Twitter:

Edward
@DonKlericuzio
Actual casualty in the Tuesday #ISWAP attack on Koloram village in Gubio was 81 villagers dead, 1300 cattles taken away which will be sold in Ghana, Benin and Côte d’Ivoire at below market prices.
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by DimIsaac10(m): 8:47pm On Jun 13, 2020
Modikko:
You have not answered me. Have you paid your dues?
So you are not only a racist but part of those who keep constituting nuisance on social media bah. How is my comment on Nigerian changing its name correlating your supposed accusations on being an IPod member?.
Is Nigeria not a colonian name?
Was the said name not given by Flaural Shaw?.
Is she a Nigerian?.
Then why won't you come up with a meaningful question?.
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by 001Usuf(m): 8:58pm On Jun 13, 2020
First of all: I will dismiss this virus called 'DEMOCRACY'.
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by NiCurious: 9:03pm On Jun 13, 2020
I would rather a spartan, firm-handed, benevolent dictatorship for a couple of generations, while I rewrite the constitution, with the intention of reinstating democracy after I step down, once I prepare the ground where it can thrive.

I will start by dealing harshly with insurgency and other armed violence, and deal severely with corruption and reclaiming what has been stolen, back the national coffer. I will get reliable power on line even if I have to bring in a foreign company to do so, provided Nigerians are trained up to maintain the system, once it is running. Investing money saved from having no bloated polithiefcians looting the coffers, into getting local industry off the ground, to get the country manufacturing its own food and goods, will help stop the bleeding of money leaving the country, and keep it circulating within the borders. Minimum wage will be a living wage, though modest. These big changes will help other problems start solving themselves.

Once I gain the trust of people now feeling physically safe, and having light 24/7, and work that put food on the table, I would move to more controversial policies, for example, how to deal with roaming, uncatered-for almajiri kids (will the northern governors really solve the problem?). It's okay, they will have bright futures if I have my way, and be model citizens of my new republic, but there will be a price the parents will pay.

There must be quality education and health services available for all. Clean water and sanitation for all. Environmental protections. National ID for all, verified with fingerprints.

But for my aesthetic pleasure, the streets, gutters, and waterways in my domain must be cleaned of rubbish...plastics sorted and taken to the local plastic recycling plants that will have started up...and the people to do that, knee-deep in filth, will be corrupt former politicians, bribe-taking officials, crooked policemen: those who have been bringing the country down, must literally clean it up. grin

Oh, there is much more, and I must surround myself with bright, forward-thinking minds to bring all this about, but this will do for a start.
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Amanda4life: 9:18pm On Jun 13, 2020
I WILL DIVIDE THE COUNTRY ALONG ETHNIC LINE
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Modikko(m): 9:30pm On Jun 13, 2020
Flora Shaw you mean? Nigeria is Nigeria period. Except if you want to be mischievous.
DimIsaac10:

So you are not only a racist but part of those who keep constituting nuisance on social media bah. How is my comment on Nigerian changing its name correlating your supposed accusations on being an IPod member?.
Is Nigeria not a colonian name?
Was the said name not given by Flaural Shaw?.
Is she a Nigerian?.
Then why won't you come up with a meaningful question?.
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by GistFullGround: 9:54pm On Jun 13, 2020
Immediately I take over,

主是我的牧者,我一无所有。
他让我躺在绿色的草地上
他带领我在安静的水边,
他使我精神焕发。
他引导我走正确的道路
为了他的名字
即使我走
穿过最黑暗的山谷,[a]
我心无所惧,
因为你与我同在。
你的竿子和你的员工,
他们安慰我。

你在我面前准备一张桌子
在我的敌人面前
你用油膏我的头。
我的杯子溢出了。
你的善良和爱心肯定会跟随我
我一生的日子
我将住在耶和华殿里
永远。
Re: If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jun 13, 2020
isaacsegun:
1. I will make sure we have robust national Data base for every citizen to be captured. I will do this in order to enhance security architecture of the nation, so that when a crime is committed by individual or group of people, only their finger print will fixed them out.

2. The main hindrance to our national development is just that the country was designed to fail from inception. So restructuring is a sure bet for me. I will make sure that each state have control over their resources while few of what they make will be remitted to the coffer of the central government.

3. Our constitution have a lot of loop holes that give room to corruption. I will make sure the constitution is overhauled. Nigeria as a country will have a new constitution where their will be law that prescribed a severe punishement for law breakers, corrupt politicians and judges.

4. I will improve the education sector and health sector.

good one

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

2023: Pictures From Atiku's Declaration In Abuja / What Jonathan, Makarfi, PDP Governors Discussed In Caucus Meeting / 3 More Aisha Buhari Critics Arrested By Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.