Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? (15817 Views)

Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? / 7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by MuttleyLaff: 1:42pm On May 25, 2020
Maximus69:
(1) God is the one who gave intelligent creatures (angels or humans) the gift of speech, while angels had their own (higher than man's) humans were also given. Angels could easily grasp our own since they're superior when talking about the likeness of God because they're also spirits. Humans can't grasp their own because we are lesser beings, so Jesus spoke their language but granted only Paul the ability to discern what he said!
=>(check) ✓ 0/10 Smh

Maximus69:
(2) Because those traveling along with Paul were sent on a mission 'to arrest Christians', Jesus need to communicate with Paul (his main target) in a strange language so that none of them might know Paul's next move, note that Paul was only leading the team, so after Jesus had taken Paul away from the team, the Pharisees were highly disappointed and provoked as their best trained scholar now embraced Christianity (the group they wanted dead).
=>(check) ✓ 7/10

Maximus69:
(3)Of course but the understanding was only granted to his closest confidants while others just noticed that a strange voice probably that of an angel (as they reasoned) spoke with him!
MY QUESTION WAS UNCOMPLETED BUT I'VE GONE BACK TO COMPLETE IT. SORRY I COULDNT SCORE YOU HERE. I am guessing you're saying it was not an angel voice, so if that is your answer, then you would have scored or be scoring 11/10

Maximus69:
(4)JW language! smiley
=>(check) ✓ 0/10 Smh
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by MuttleyLaff: 1:42pm On May 25, 2020
Myer:
Maybe we need to juxtapose both verses for you to know that your interpretation is flawed.

Acts 9:7
And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

Acts 22:9
And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.

The contradiction is inexcusable sir.
He was not speaking of understanding here.
As you rightly said, Luke was a medical expert. Makes you question his attention to details though.

He said they heard a voice in Acts 9:7 but then said they did not hear a voice in Acts 22:9

He was not in any of these verses referring to their comprehension of the voice but that they did not hear the voice at all in Acts 22:9.

This brings to mind the baptism of Christ, where he saw the heaven open and the voice of God saying he is truly the Son in whom he is pleased. Yet only Christ heard it and no one else, maybe only John the baptist. And several other divine communication between God and Christ.

Although I'm still trying to understand why you decided to compare me to Caiaphas.lol come on, am I that bad?
They say God can speak through any vessel. He even spoke through a donkey right?

Maximus69:
Please how do you comprehend this when a Yoruba man say~

Mi o gbo nkan to nso

loosely translated

I don't hear what he's saying

Of course what this means

I don't UNDERSTAND what he is saying
That doesn't mean he never heard anything! cheesy

I could recollect back in school when one of my mates asked our English teacher (Briton) "do you hear Yoruba?"

Mr Franz responded enthusiastically "Yes"

The girl spoke Yoruba and asked Mr Franz to translate, surprisingly he said "i heard what you said but you never asked if i understand the language! grin

So don't forget that the writers only had information to pass across to us, we are to bring it home by meditating on similar occurences in our own environment to grasp what exactly they meant by those writings! smiley

Myer:
Actually in yoruba there is a difference.

Mi o gbo could be interpreted as I didnt hear you or I didn't understand you.

But I heard a voice but I did not understand in Yoruba is;

Mo gbo ohun sugbon ko ye mi.

You see how these are 2 distinct scenarios?

Don't try to interprete the scriptures to suit your meaning.
Interprete what the scripture itself means.

It is obviously an inexcusable contradiction.

There's more if you care to see.

MuttleyLaff:
It trips up, a lot, quite a few of our Muslim and Atheist brothers/sisters and it leaves me laughing very hard. On the face of it, they appear contradictory and so you find some argumentative Muslim and Atheist brothers/sisters come up waving those two verses about crying blue murder, that they are inconsistencies, when they aren't, lmao. Doing a thorough or detailed review of the verses would have saved them from slipping on that banana skin.

The construct used in the two verses, we also often use it too, when conversing in Yoruba.

Case in point 1:
"Ẹ ku irọle, sir". Though you heard me, but you, pretending not to have heard, prolly from still nursing an earlier vex, will respond "Mi o gbọ ẹ"

Loosely translated means:
"Good evening, sir". Though you heard me, but you, pretending not to have heard, prolly from still nursing an earlier vex, will respond "I don't hear you"

Case in point 2:
"Good evening, sir". Though you loud and clearly heard me, but since you don't understand nor speak English, will in Yoruba, honestly and truthfully say "Mi o gbọ ẹ" ( i.e. ''I don't understand you'')
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 25, 2020
Myer:

I just edited my response.

Your explanation is flawed because it was not the soldiers who were recounting the event here but the same Paul who stated that they heard a voice in Acts 9:7 also stating that they did not hear the voice in Acts 22:9.

But I understand you will go to any length to try to defend the bible. But would do the same for other religious books such as the Quran if they made they same goof?

You are mistaken Sir!

The account was written in two different settings.

Act 9:7 ~ Luke recorded what he gathered from third party those who must have heard from those temple police what happened, the temple police will say exactly what happened!

Act 22:9 ~ Paul now narrating his personal experience, when those with him have denied they never heard the voice of anyone due to fear of being sanctioned. Soldiers and guards does that always when situations they can't explain happens otherwise they may be killed for their incompetency! Matthew 28:11-15
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by MuttleyLaff: 1:49pm On May 25, 2020
Myer:

Your explanation is flawed because it was not the soldiers who were recounting the event here but the same Paul who stated that they heard a voice in Acts 9:7 also stating that they did not hear the voice in Acts 22:9.

But I understand you will go to any length to try to defend the bible. But would do the same for other religious books such as the Quran if they made they same goof?
You're right which is why I've been stamping likes on your posts, but please stop saying its a goof. It is NOT a goof, its no inconsistency nor contradiction. To the untrained eyes, to the one incapable of correctly dividing the word of truth et cetera, of course, it looks like it is.
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 25, 2020
Myer:

@bolded

Is what Jehovah's Witnesses will never do!

All we will tell them to do is provide proof of their books by showing the world what they have been able to achieve with what they found in their book! Matthew 7:16-18 cheesy

Nobody is interested in your story books in this modern times Sir, what everyone wants to see is the result! wink
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Nobody: 2:04pm On May 25, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
=>(check) ✓ 0/10 Smh

=>(check) ✓ 7/10

MY QUESTION WAS UNCOMPLETED BUT I'VE GONE BACK TO COMPLETE IT. SORRY I COULDNT SCORE YOU HERE. I am guessing you're saying it was not an angel voice, so if that is your answer, then you would have scored or be scoring 11/10

=>(check) ✓ 0/10 Smh

You asked me about my own faith Sir.

So it's left to you to talk about yours.

My God speaks to all my brothers and sisters globally in the JW language/tongue.

That's why everyone can testify to the PERFECT understanding amongst us throughout the earth! Zephaniah 3:9

You guys are arguing about speaking in tongues while i have concentrated on the BENEFITS of the concept.

Language is the gift of speech God gave intelligent creatures (angels or humans) the purpose is for mutual understanding in God's Organization! John 17:20-23

That's the greatest evidence of God's presence in the midst of his worshipers! Isaiah 2:2-4

JW language! smiley
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by MuttleyLaff: 3:05pm On May 25, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
"27Now My soul is troubled, and what shall I say?
‘Father, save Me from this hour’? No, it is for this purpose that I have come to this hour.
28Father, glorify Your name!” Then a voice came from heaven:
“I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.”
29The crowd standing there heard it and said that it had thundered.
Others said that an angel had spoken to Him
"
- John 12:27-29

Of course only Apostle Paul would have understood the voice, and this because or from the fact that, he speaks tongues/languages more than any of his contemporaries do. Often times, people like to put unfounded mysticism spin(s) on things they don't seem to understand or what puzzles them

Anyone could be an angel, we have celestial/extra-terrestrial beings as angels and we have a terrestrial/earth based being aka human beings as angels. Angels are messengers, are anyone sent out do do the bidding of God or to deliver message(s), announcement(s), proclamation(s) et cetera. The Angel of the Lord, wrestling with Jacob, was God. The Angel of the Lord with accompanied two other angels, was God visiting Abraham. Angel of the Lord is an Avatar of God.

I expect Jesus to have communicated to Apostle Paul, in a language or spoken in tongue, possibly only him alone would understand

1/ What sort of angel voice would this be that Jesus allegedly spoke with?
2/ Why couldn't it be just a simple, nondescript, ordinary and normal Jesus voice?
3/ Was the voice at John 12:28, that said: "“I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.”" spoken IN AN ANGEL VOICE?
4/ What tongue/language does God use when personally communicating with you?

Maximus69:
You asked me about my own faith Sir.

So it's left to you to talk about yours.
Those above were the 4 questions you were asked

Maximus69:
My God speaks to all my brothers and sisters globally in the JW language/tongue.
This isn't something peculiar to JW

Maximus69:
That's why everyone can testify to the PERFECT understanding amongst us throughout the earth! Zephaniah 3:9
Please do an exegesis and correct hermeneutic of this verse

Maximus69:
You guys are arguing about speaking in tongues while i have concentrated on the BENEFITS of the concept.
I don't see any arguing here, all I see are different perspective exchanges

Maximus69:
Language is the gift of speech God gave intelligent creatures (angels or humans) the purpose is for mutual understanding in God's Organization! John 17:20-23

That's the greatest evidence of God's presence in the midst of his worshipers! Isaiah 2:2-4

JW language! smiley
On a scale of 0-9, where would you score the gift of speaking in tongues, with 9 being the highest possible score of 9/9, 1 being the lowest score of 1/9 and 0/9 means its no value
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Nobody: 3:14pm On May 25, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

Those above were the 4 questions you were asked

This isn't something peculiar to JW

Please do an exegesis and correct hermeneutic of this verse

I don't see any arguing here, all I see are different perspective exchanges

On a scale of 0-9, where would you score the gift of speaking in tongues, with 9 being the highest possible score of 9/9, 1 being the lowest score of 1/9 and 0/9 means its no value

If you think there is no argument, then it's fine!
Whatever anyone (including JWs) says about speaking in tongues is correct and there shouldn't be any need of exchange since each person will stick to whatever his/her religion practices anyway!

But as for we Jehovah's Witnesses, count us out when you're not ready to subscribe to our opinion on the concept! smiley

We only believe (trust) in FAITH that is yielding PRACTICAL BENEFITS Sir! James 2:26
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by MuttleyLaff: 4:39pm On May 25, 2020
Maximus69:
If you think there is no argument, then it's fine!
Whatever anyone (including JWs) says about speaking in tongues is correct and there shouldn't be any need of exchange since each person will stick to whatever his/her religion practices anyway!

But as for we Jehovah's Witnesses, count us out when you're not ready to subscribe to our opinion on the concept! smiley
I would rather be informed than be opinionated.

Maximus69:
We only believe (trust) in FAITH that is yielding PRACTICAL BENEFITS Sir! James 2:26
Rate the gift of speaking in tongues on a scale of 0-9

On a scale of 0-9, what score mark, would you give the gift of speaking in tongues, with 9 being the highest possible score of 9/9, 1 being the lowest score of 1/9 and 0/9 means its no value

Everyone, Goshen360, Acehart, Myer, Finallydead, hoopernikao aka hupernikao, Kobojunkie, vickydankal, ublight, Eulalia, meekhat, Amujale, Bodydialect57, orisa37 and others, are invited to rate the gift of speaking in tongues on a scale of 0-9.

1 Like

Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Nobody: 6:30pm On May 25, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
I would rather be informed than be opinionated.

Rate the gift of speaking in tongues on a scale of 0-9

On a scale of 0-9, what score mark, would you give the gift of speaking in tongues, with 9 being the highest possible score of 9/9, 1 being the lowest score of 1/9 and 0/9 means its no value

Everyone, Goshen360, Acehart, Myer, Finallydead, hoopernikao aka hupernikao, Kobojunkie, vickydankal, ublight, Eulalia, meekhat, Amujale, Bodydialect57, orisa37 and others, are invited to rate the gift of speaking in tongues on a scale of 0-9.

I can only speak of the JW language/tongue Sir! smiley

Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Goshen360(m): 6:33pm On May 25, 2020
@ hoopernikao, Myer, Finallydead

1. It is clear from scriptures that what was spoken in Acts was understood by the people that gathered. Hence, we cannot argue on that as we all agreed.

2. So I came to 1 Corinthians 14 with open mind to investigate and practically apply this misunderstanding of the word "unknown"

3. Because I'm from Lagos state, Badagry so I decided to apply the tongue language of badagry man, "Egun"

4. Because the word "unknown" wasn't in originally translation, I simply read it out everywhere it occurred in 1 Corinthians 14 and everywhere I read "tongue or tongues" in KJV I replace with "language or languages"

5. Since the word "unknown" was added by translations for better understanding, I asked myself, what language or languages is unknown anyway? So I quickly brought my "Egun" language in as practical step......

Is you following me slowly.... cheesy....Btw, that's loosed African American English called ebonics just like we have pidgin or broken English in Nigeria.

6. I STOP and pondered on this word "unknown" and decided to do some imagery in the setting of 1 Corinthians 14, that is, I brought in imagination of worshippers with different languages. So here we go....

So I'm the preacher....so I'm the preacher with egun language and in the audience are French, English, Spanish and Yoruba ( let's limit to those four). Now, remember I STOPPED to practically investigate the word "unknown" assuming I want to use this word while I read through 1 Corinthians 14. So, definitely "egun" language is KNOWN to me as the preacher but UNKNOWN to the listeners. Hence, that word "unknown" is not some sort of language(s) that's from nowhere adding the fact that it was added by translations. SO THAT WORD "UNKNOWN" doesn't apply to ME as the preacher BUT to the listener. In this practical case, egun is UNKNOWN to the listeners.

7. So I started reading slowly, inserting my practical languages and at the same time questioning the texts of Apostle Paul. So here we go: I re read the whole of 1 Corinthians 14 with that concept and it makes much clearer.

PART 2.

I did the SAME thing in the steps above BUT IN THIS CASE PART 2, Instead of using my Egun language, I decided to use the commonly taught and believed speaking in tongues taught us in churches in a practical manner but alas, I was caught in several verses of 1 Corinthians 14. How? So in this scenario my language is NOT egun but "unknown" as in UNKNOWN to me and the listeners....like, this below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne5ZyWsP7Lk

Again I STOPPED and asked myself....why will I even speak in such WHEN EVEN ME NOR THE LISTENER DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THIS SO CALLED "unknown"? But I continued anyway to see my final outcome....

So, I used this option to practically interpret 1 Corinthians 14 to the end, i came to conclusions this OPTION 2 DOES NOT LINE UP WITH MANY VERSES OF 1 CORINTHIANS 14, verses such as.....verses 2 to 6, 13 - 14, 23 - 36.

You can practically do this PART 2 applying those verses and see how those verse starring at you in the face with the outcome....or better still, practically apply PART 1 using your language of choice to interpret the whole 1 Corinthians 14.

I hope we go back to RE-learn or unlearn somethings taught to us in the church while we're new born babes in the Lord.

1 Like

Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by MuttleyLaff: 7:02pm On May 25, 2020
Maximus69:
I can only speak of the JW language/tongue Sir! smiley
"1Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
7To each person the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the benefit of all.
8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom;
to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy;
to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues;
to another the interpretation of tongues
:
11It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts.
He alone decides which gift each person should have.
"
- 1 Corinthians 12:1 and 7-11

What part out of the 9 manifestations of the spiritual gifts of the Holy Spirit is the "speak of the JW language/tongue"?
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by MuttleyLaff: 7:06pm On May 25, 2020
Goshen360:

1. It is clear from scriptures that what was spoken in Acts was understood by the people that gathered. Hence, we cannot argue on that as we all agreed.

2. So I came to 1 Corinthians 14 with open mind to investigate and practically apply this misunderstanding of the word "unknown"

3. Because I'm from Lagos state, Badagry so I decided to apply the tongue language of badagry man, "Egun"

4. Because the word "unknown" wasn't in originally translation, I simply read it out everywhere it occurred in 1 Corinthians 14 and everywhere I read "tongue or tongues" in KJV I replace with "language or languages"

5. Since the word "unknown" was added by translations for better understanding, I asked myself, what language or languages is unknown anyway? So I quickly brought my "Egun" language in as practical step......

Is you following me slowly.... cheesy....Btw, that's loosed African American English called ebonics just like we have pidgin or broken English in Nigeria.

6. I STOP and pondered on this word "unknown" and decided to do some imagery in the setting of 1 Corinthians 14, that is, I brought in imagination of worshippers with different languages. So here we go....

So I'm the preacher....so I'm the preacher with egun language and in the audience are French, English, Spanish and Yoruba ( let's limit to those four). Now, remember I STOPPED to practically investigate the word "unknown" assuming I want to use this word while I read through 1 Corinthians 14. So, definitely "egun" language is KNOWN to me as the preacher but UNKNOWN to the listeners. Hence, that word "unknown" is not some sort of language(s) that's from nowhere adding the fact that it was added by translations. SO THAT WORD "UNKNOWN" doesn't apply to ME as the preacher BUT to the listener. In this practical case, egun is UNKNOWN to the listeners.

7. So I started reading slowly, inserting my practical languages and at the same time questioning the texts of Apostle Paul. So here we go: I re read the whole of 1 Corinthians 14 with that concept and it makes much clearer.

PART 2.

I did the SAME thing in the steps above BUT IN THIS CASE PART 2, Instead of using my Egun language, I decided to use the commonly taught and believed speaking in tongues taught us in churches in a practical manner but alas, I was caught in several verses of 1 Corinthians 14. How? So in this scenario my language is NOT egun but "unknown" as in UNKNOWN to me and the listeners....like, this below:

h t tps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ne5ZyWsP7Lk

Again I STOPPED and asked myself....why will I even speak in such WHEN EVEN ME NOR THE LISTENER DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THIS SO CALLED "unknown"? But I continued anyway to see my final outcome....

So, I used this option to practically interpret 1 Corinthians 14 to the end, i came to conclusions this OPTION 2 DOES NOT LINE UP WITH MANY VERSES OF 1 CORINTHIANS 14, verses such as.....verses 2 to 6, 13 - 14, 23 - 36.

You can practically do this PART 2 applying those verses and see how those verse starring at you in the face with the outcome....or better still, practically apply PART 1 using your language of choice to interpret the whole 1 Corinthians 14.

I hope we go back to RE-learn or unlearn somethings taught to us in the church while we're new born babes in the Lord.

MuttleyLaff:
"To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits;
to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
"
- 1 Corinthians 12:10

Tbh and if truth be told brother, you actually are on the forefront of those, I sincerely hope will be grabbed, arrested and get convicted through the workings and help of the Holy Spirit about this misunderstood, misused and abused wonderful spiritual gift. It is one, out of the 9 possible different displayed evidences of having the Holy Spirit that could publicly be seen of anyone that's a believer (i.e. 1 Corinthians 12:7-11)
[img]https://s5/images/ezgif-2-bb81ab7ea10d.gif[/img]
I think my time's now done here.
Praise God. Alleluia.
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Acehart: 7:20pm On May 25, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

Praise God. Alleluia.

I faired better than Elijah.
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Acehart: 7:21pm On May 25, 2020
Goshen360:

PART 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne5ZyWsP7Lk

Would you like me to ask the question you know I would ask?

1 Like

Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by MuttleyLaff: 7:22pm On May 25, 2020
Acehart:
I faired better than Elijah.
"Ọlọrun, ju ẹda lọ" loosely translated, means "God, owner of heavens, is bigger than men"
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Acehart: 7:24pm On May 25, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
"Ọlọrun, ju ẹda lọ" loosely translated, means "God, owner of heavens, is bigger than men"

Yes. May His name be praised forever more.

1 Like

Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Nobody: 7:32pm On May 25, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
"1Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
7To each person the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the benefit of all.
8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom;
to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy;
to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues;
to another the interpretation of tongues
:
11It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts.
He alone decides which gift each person should have.
"
- 1 Corinthians 12:1 and 7-11

What part out of the 9 manifestations of the spiritual gifts of the Holy Spirit is the "speak of the JW language/tongue"?

Paul in his letter said

"ALL THESE GIFTS WILL NO MORE BE IN USE, WHEN CHRISTIANITY BECOMES FULLY MATURED" 1Corinthians 13:8-11

Today Jehovah's Witnesses (True Christians) don't speak in strange tongues, prophesy new things or know secret thing our fellow Christian brothers don't know!

What Jesus said will remain as mark of true Christianity during the endtime is LOVE! John 13:34-35 compare to 1Corinthians 13:13

God bless you! smiley
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Goshen360(m): 7:32pm On May 25, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

Praise God. Alleluia.

Why is you laughing at me naw? grin grin grin. E be like say you don become ghost appearing to me in my dream abi na me dey dream you, I no even understand. But anyway, you're literally pulling my ears in the dream saying to me, "Goshen360, are you also without understanding"?

Anyway, I think we have different gift in teaching....some people need "one step at a time" method of teaching because different understanding of audience while some can handle much at a time.

You, my brother is a good teacher just as I am and we're both students of the word. However, try this most times in your teaching approach: e gbiyanju ke ma ti ibi pelebe fi mu ole je.... grin grin grin
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Goshen360(m): 7:34pm On May 25, 2020
Acehart:

Would you like me to ask the question you know I would ask?

Go ahead even though I don't know the kweshun you would ask.

1 Like

Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by MuttleyLaff: 8:11pm On May 25, 2020
Maximus69:
Paul in his letter said

"ALL THESE GIFTS WILL NO MORE BE IN USE, WHEN CHRISTIANITY BECOMES FULLY MATURED" 1 Corinthians 13:8-11

Today Jehovah's Witnesses (True Christians) don't speak in strange tongues, prophesy new things or know secret thing our fellow Christian brothers don't know!

What Jesus said will remain as mark of true Christianity during the endtime is LOVE! John 13:34-35 compare to 1 Corinthians 13:13

God bless you! smiley
We know what Apostle Paul said and how he meant, with 1 Corinthians 13:8-11, so don't worry about that.

No one, ever on this thread has suggested, that, Jehovah's Witnesses (True Christians) speak in strange tongues, prophesy new things or know secret things fellow Christian brothers don't know. Nobody is disputing that Jesus said, what will remain as mark of true Christianity during the endtime is LOVE, so please spare us the proof-texting with John 13:34-35 and the sign-posting to go compare John 13:34-35 with 1 Corinthians 13:13

The simple easy, direct and straightforward question that was left answered by you, is, under which of the 9 manifestations of the spiritual gifts of the Holy Spirit does "speak of the JW language/tongue" fall?

Are you unable to sincerely, truthfully and honestly with love, answer that ni?
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by MuttleyLaff: 8:11pm On May 25, 2020
Goshen360:
Why is you laughing at me naw? grin grin grin.
Bro, I was laughing at two things, those two clowns and then honestly at .... lmao.

Goshen360:
E be like say you don become ghost appearing to me in my dream abi na me dey dream you, I no even understand. But anyway, you're literally pulling my ears in the dream saying to me, "Goshen360, are you also without understanding"?
It is the Holy Ghost my brother. Remember what I said at the very beginning of this thread, when I typed:
"To be honest and if truth be told brother, you actually are on the forefront of those, I sincerely hope will be grabbed, arrested and get convicted through the workings and help of the Holy Spirit about this misunderstood, misused and abused wonderful spiritual gift."

Goshen360:
Anyway, I think we have different gift in teaching....some people need "one step at a time" method of teaching because different understanding of audience while some can handle much at a time.

You, my brother is a good teacher just as I am and we're both students of the word
That was more the reason why it was baffling, that back then, you were still looking down the wrong end of the telescope and being dogmatic about the gift, lmao.

Goshen360:
However, try this most times in your teaching approach: "Ẹ gbiyanju, kẹ ma ti ibi pẹlẹbẹ fi mu ọlẹ jẹ .... " grin grin grin
Nwanne, you and I, go way back on this subject nah and you know that.

It's, as far back as 2015, if not even earlier than that, I've being doing the cut down into bite size pieces with you nah, but as the saying goes, God's time is the best. Tbh, I think you grew into and filled up into your spiritual cloth, that's what happened.

Remember we used to do offline social media chat(s) even also at least one phone call, if I remember correctly, talking about this. My personal experience of how I quit the absurd pretence, is on NL, if you do a search for it, you'll find it lmao.
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by hoopernikao: 8:45pm On May 25, 2020
Evening to Brethren here.
Trust we are very well.

I guess i am a bit late to check back since last time.
Well, it is partly deliberate and partly not.

Partly deliberate because i feel the purpose for this thread has been accomplished, well, at least from my view and intent.
Like i said when we started, my aim here is not to drag on for ever or to win an argument but to lay out my explanation and contribution on the OP to the intent that the unsuspected readers and seeker of truth can understand the OP from scripture point of view and be able to make an informed decision. To me i think, i have done my part well, and have little to add to what have been said over again to avoid repetition.

There are things that are now being raised but have been thoroughly handled along the course of this thread. The reader will need to go over these carefully, and patiently to avoid reinventing wheels.

Having said that, There are questions and explanation raised here that i feel arent fit into the purpose of this discuss. One major skill a preacher or explainer of the word must acquire is the ability to make sure the purpose of discussion are not diverted. This is usually a big task especially when it is based on different views from personalities involved. Therefore, some inserted explanation or questions raised here, though genuine, can only serve as distraction to the main topic.

The topic here is "I Should Speak In Tongues, Right?" and the content approach of the OP is to justify that tongues are human languages using Isaiah 28:11 and Paul's doctrine (1 Cor 14).

From my own view and as much as from Paul's view, i have laid out scriptures to clear such misconception and i have affirmed by the scriptures that tongues as spoken by Paul is absolutely foreign to all humans (not human language) and is not intelligible to anyone (...no one understand..). These are clear in all my input and in 1 Corinthians 14

This OP doesnt focus or include things such as

- How many tongues do we have
- Whether tongues are angelic voice or language.
- Tongues or Spiritual gifts have seized

It will be distracting to start threading that line in this same OP as that will lead readers and also may contributors here astray in thoughts and explanation. Like, i always say, if you want to raise an issue outside the OP, create a new thread and do your proper exegesis, if it is attractive and convincingly serious, be assure of my input. That will allow us to go all length and delve into the issue with restriction or distraction. We must know here that many readers arent as exposed and knowledgeable as you may have been. Hence, systematic theology called for no distraction and high patience for your reader. If some of those stuff arent handled here, i am sure it will be in near future, Nairaland is here and not going anywhere.

Therefore, i will be giving few additions and response to discussion i have missed and afterwards submit a detailed summary of all my thoughts as contributed by me all along this thread in a single continuous post. I believe this will help and come handy someday.

But it is important to point out that for you to fully understand my presentation and explanation of tongues on this thread, you MUST read every detail of all post i wrote patiently and carefully.
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by hoopernikao: 8:50pm On May 25, 2020
Goshen360:

PART 2.

Good evening.

I will appreciate if you point specifically to verse or Paul's word, explanation that contradicts tongues as not intelligible to all men. Let it be specific so that i can know what to explain.
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Nobody: 9:11pm On May 25, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
We know what Apostle Paul said and how he meant, with 1 Corinthians 13:8-11, so don't worry about that.

No one, ever on this thread has suggested, that, Jehovah's Witnesses (True Christians) speak in strange tongues, prophesy new things or know secret things fellow Christian brothers don't know. Nobody is disputing that Jesus said, what will remain as mark of true Christianity during the endtime is LOVE, so please spare us the proof-texting with John 13:34-35 and the sign-posting to go compare John 13:34-35 with 1 Corinthians 13:13

The simple easy, direct and straightforward question that was left answered by you, is, under which of the 9 manifestations of the spiritual gifts of the Holy Spirit does "speak of the JW language/tongue" fall?

Are you unable to sincerely, truthfully and honestly with love, answer that ni?

I have answered you my guy, it's obvious you're expecting a response that will sooth the idea of false religions claiming Christians around you today! smiley

So calmly go through my response again to know what true Christians are supposed to be doing now Sir!

Christianity has passed that childish stage! 1Corinthians 13:8-11 wink
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by MuttleyLaff: 9:26pm On May 25, 2020
Maximus69:
I have answered you my guy, it's obvious you're expecting a response that will sooth the idea of false religions claiming Christians around you today! smiley
No, you haven't sincerely, truthfully and honestly with love, answered the question

Maximus69:
So calmly go through my response again to know what true Christians are supposed to be doing now Sir!
The question you were asked had replies that had nothing to to with answers about what true Christians are supposed to be doing now Sir!

Maximus69:
Christianity has passed that childish stage! 1 Corinthians 13:8-11 wink
Just to remind you, that the question, was, out of the 9 manifestations of the spiritual gifts of the Holy Spirit, under which of them nine does "speak of the JW language/tongue" fall?

It seems to me you're uncomfortable to sincerely, truthfully and honestly with love, answer that question. This is the reason you are taking strong evasive actions and/or tactics to avoid committing yourself to answering directly.
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Nobody: 9:37pm On May 25, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
No, you haven't sincerely, truthfully and honestly with love, answered the question

The question you were asked had replies that had nothing to to with answers about what true Christians are supposed to be doing now Sir!

Just to remind you, that the question, was, out of the 9 manifestations of the spiritual gifts of the Holy Spirit, under which of them nine does "speak of the JW language/tongue" fall?

It seems to me you're uncomfortable to sincerely, truthfully and honestly with love, answer that question. This is the reason you are taking strong evasive actions and/or tactics to avoid committing yourself to answering directly.

The GIFTS of any tree is no more significant once the FRUITS are produced! Matthew 7:16-18 wink

Jehovah's Witnesses (true Christians) totally differ Sir! 2Corinthians 11:12-13

So don't expect to hear of your deception in our midst! wink
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by hoopernikao: 9:43pm On May 25, 2020
Finallydead:

2.) The first thing we should ask is what language did angels speak before the creation of humans. Certainly not human language which came to be in this recent Adamic age. Does this mean we can't hear them in our own language? No. But it does mean after coming down to our level to communicate, they would return to their standard language in heaven in keeping with their nativity.

how us your whole theology on tongues and then maybe we will agree with you. We're not going to all agree with you before you can do this. Having established that 1Cor14 is non-human language, kindly show us what you wanna do with 1Cor13:1, since I've already shown that Paul listed ONLY gifts from 1Cor12 in 1Cor13:1-3 without a single hyperbole, like Mutt would believe.

@Finallydead, i trust you are doing great.

Well, it will be good you observe me closely, not just my writings but my carefulness, reluctance and constriction to get involved in some explanation or questions without having to clear so fundamental issues before that. I believe doctrine should be both systematic and progressive as seen in the scriptures. You search through my post on this thread, i have being careful in speaking about all Acts events on tongues, not because my thoughts arent clear on them but because when you lose a step and jump in logical presentation of your thoughts to others, you will end up causing more harm than good. This is one of the main reasons i approached this thread topic the way i did by presenting my thoughts step-wisely from the beginning (looking at word usage) instead of putting all together at once. It is done to prepare the mind of the reader ahead. This is the reason why my main friend here always accuse me of avoiding treating some questions, or hiding from them grin. But he didnt know that in most cases i am only protecting him from doctrinal suicide.

I believe so much that when 1 Cor 14 is clear, Acts will be laid bare too. So, in simple terms, what i mean is sometimes there are things the explainer is seeing and until we are able to see same, it will be a bad work to start doing further exegesis. That will rather be driven by knowledge or pride but not love. Doctrine driven by love must be progressive, step wise, without assumption and with all carefulness. So, when 1 Cor 14 is very clear to a heart, i know that, that same heart will unravel Acts events.
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by hoopernikao: 9:46pm On May 25, 2020
Maximus69:

The GIFTS of any tree is no more significant once the FRUITS are produced! Matthew 7:16-18 wink

Jehovah's Witnesses (true Christians) totally differ Sir! 2Corinthians 11:12-13

Do JW believe in Prophecies or not? Paul listed it as part of the 1 Cor 13 you quoted. Just thinking
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by MuttleyLaff: 9:59pm On May 25, 2020
Maximus69:
Paul in his letter said

"ALL THESE GIFTS WILL NO MORE BE IN USE, WHEN CHRISTIANITY BECOMES FULLY MATURED" 1Corinthians 13:8-11

What Jesus said will remain as mark of true Christianity during the endtime is LOVE! John 13:34-35 compare to 1 Corinthians 13:13

God bless you! smiley

hoopernikao:
Do JW believe in Prophecies or not?
Paul listed it as part of the 1 Cor 13 you quoted. Just thinking
JW has indoctrinated JW fellow Christian brothers that all 9 manifestations of the spiritual gifts of the Holy Spirit do not count anymore. This is the reason for Maximus69's own admission, as seen in the above emboldened, in saying that JW don't believe in Prophecies nor know secret things JW fellow Christian brothers don't know!

PS: Watch as he doesnt give you an explicit answer.
Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by Goshen360(m): 10:45pm On May 25, 2020
hoopernikao:

Good evening.

I will appreciate if you point specifically to verse or Paul's word, explanation that contradicts tongues as not intelligible to all men. Let it be specific so that i can know what to explain.

I like that choice of word - not intelligible to all men.

So let's have you practically interpret these verses I mentioned with the non intelligible in replacement for language or languages and we see the outcome.

These verses are 2 to 6 of 1 Corinthians 14. Verses 13 - 14 and 23 - 36.

So, explain it in ABC format and practical format inserting this non intelligible language in those verses where necessary.

2 Likes

Re: I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? by MuttleyLaff: 3:30am On May 26, 2020
Maximus69:
So you are saying that the manifestations of spiritual gifts of the Holy Spirit are obsolete, that they are no longer manifested because they are out-of date, hmm? Am I correct is second guessing you that way?

Maximus69:
Jehovah's Witnesses (true Christians) totally differ Sir! 2 Corinthians 11:12-13
You sure, no doubt, are different. Ego is one of the biggest enemies of man

Maximus69:
So you are saying the possible 9 manifestations of the gift of the Holy Spirit is deception, huh? Are you familiar at all with the end part of the following next two sentences "It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have," hmm? (i.e. 1 Corinthians 12:11b)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (20) (Reply)

Pastors Should Apologize When Their Prophecies Fail – Bishop Mike Okonkwo / Cardinal Sodano Summons Cardinals To Rome / To All The Atheists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.