Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,745 members, 7,806,040 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? (47088 Views)

Can Google Really Tell The Difference Between Good And Bad Content? / What's The Difference Between Med Lab Science And Med Lab Tech / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Bjteensdes24: 11:27am On May 16, 2020
dayleke:
That is why I love my Yoruba language.
Good evening is "E Ku irole o " .

8pm greeting na "E kaale o ".
Yea..this is what am trying to get. You know it differentiate the night from dusk using 'Yoruba'
What will 'e ku irole' be in English
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Papadoh(m): 12:23pm On May 16, 2020
leunseyis:
All na greetings... That Why white people greet like this... Good day or Hello, How are you doing... Naija we too dey great
Lol especially in Yorubaland, they have a greeting for every occasion.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by KristaPretty(f): 2:29pm On May 16, 2020
Kukuma say "good PM" case closed grin

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Stephenmoka4(m): 2:31pm On May 16, 2020
The time zones, equinoxes/solstices of the year and the location of the place matters. 8pm looks like evening in some places

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Braindealer(f): 2:32pm On May 16, 2020
KristaPretty:
Kukuma say "good PM" case closed grin
Lol

Your very woskey.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Braindealer(f): 2:34pm On May 16, 2020
Stephenmoka4:
The time zones, equinoxes/solstices of the year and the location of the place matters. 8pm looks like evening in some places
True talk

But there is still no difference sha.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Braindealer(f): 2:38pm On May 16, 2020
leunseyis:
All na greetings... That Why white people greet like this... Good day or Hello, How are you doing... Naija we too dey great
asin ehn.

Abeg no talk toomuch. You go make everything for this country dey tire me.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by dayjeee(m): 2:47pm On May 16, 2020
@op what's the difference between good afternoon 12pm and good afternoon 3pm? When you answer this you have the answer to your question

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by femi4: 3:53pm On May 16, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

no just in early evening... because at 4pm you would still say "good afternoon"
Wrong...evening start from 4pm

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by femi4: 3:54pm On May 16, 2020
uboma:

4:00pm is still considered as afternoon.

The evening starts from 5:00pm.
4pm
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by femi4: 3:58pm On May 16, 2020
Bjteensdes24:
Hello, please this baffles me as I wonder why most people greet one another 'good evening' when it is dusk (5pm or 6pm) and also when the night finally comes(7pm). Anybody to explain that better is there any correlation between those two words? If yes, why? Cos dusk is still a bit of day
Just accept it like that

12-3:59pm: Afternoon

4pm- down: evening

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:01pm On May 16, 2020
femi4:
Wrong...evening start from 4pm

ok my bad, i have always believed that it starts at 5pm.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by jericco1(m): 5:19pm On May 16, 2020
None undecided
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Nobody: 5:20pm On May 16, 2020
Bjteensdes24:
Hello, please this baffles me as I wonder why most people greet one another 'good evening' when it is dusk (5pm or 6pm) and also when the night finally comes(7pm).

Anybody to explain that better is there any correlation between those two words? If yes, why? Cos dusk is still a bit of day

Damn... sad

What kind of a question is this sad

The days are getting stranger by the years.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Emmysky(m): 5:20pm On May 16, 2020
dayleke:
Some Caribbean countries say "Good night" as a greeting for night time and not necessarily as a farewell.
Yea but to most parts of the world, good night sounds or feels more like a bidding of farewell just as some would say good day
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by CYBERWEAVER(m): 5:21pm On May 16, 2020
Hey, HI is enough for me
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 16, 2020
Bjteensdes24:
Hello, please this baffles me as I wonder why most people greet one another 'good evening' when it is dusk (5pm or 6pm) and also when the night finally comes(7pm).

Anybody to explain that better is there any correlation between those two words? If yes, why? Cos dusk is still a bit of day

Damn... sad

What kind of a question is this sad

Indeed, the days are getting stranger by the years.

Jah save me...
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Datagric(m): 5:21pm On May 16, 2020
D difference nah you wey carry come here angry
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Ibhamzah17: 5:22pm On May 16, 2020
Even around 11pm na good evening oo

Naso I know am
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Emmysky(m): 5:22pm On May 16, 2020
For me, i mostly say hi or hello to my friends and other matured and understanding citizens regardless of what time it is. But for the elderlies, it's a culture to greet suitably and even prostrate ontop since it's something we grew up to and for peace to reign, we'd better stick to doing it.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Nobody: 5:23pm On May 16, 2020
A good night to you madam.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by StephenJoseph(m): 5:25pm On May 16, 2020
uboma:

4:00pm is still considered as afternoon.

The evening starts from 5:00pm.

No. You are wrong. Evening starts from 4:00pm

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by JoshEnigma(m): 5:25pm On May 16, 2020
5pm and 7pm...
What's the difference
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by GodPunishBiafra: 5:25pm On May 16, 2020
leunseyis:
Pink people!
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by StephenJoseph(m): 5:26pm On May 16, 2020
Ademola47:
Technically, there's no difference.

Evening starts by 4:0 pm and ends by 9:0pm.
Saying good evening by 5 & 8 is right.

You are very correct!
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by GodPunishBiafra: 5:26pm On May 16, 2020
Crixxx:
My evening starts from 4pm..
5pm good evening. 8pm good night..
Goodnight is like bye bye. It's not really a greeting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Nobody: 5:26pm On May 16, 2020
They are same. I remember as a full time teacher then, when we teach pupils "time and seasons" the EVENING period starts from 4 'O clock down to 11:59pm. And are referred to as PM "post meridiem" ( the second half of the day which begins at 12 noon: up to midnight.

Dusk is just a term used to describe the period of sundown/sunset. So its the same.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Imo State University [IMSU] Releases 2nd Supplementary Admission List / What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? / Hilarious Examination Questions From A Nigerian University Goes Viral (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.