Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,288 members, 7,780,652 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:46 PM

Police Fraud: Should EFCC Be Allowed To Investigate the 21 million naira Fraud? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Fraud: Should EFCC Be Allowed To Investigate the 21 million naira Fraud? (875 Views)

Why Did EFCC Refuse To Investigate The Following People? / EFCC Detains Ex-Governor Akpabio Again Over Alleged Multi-Billion Naira Fraud / EFCC Arrests Sacked NIMASA Boss Over Alleged Multibillion Naira Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Police Fraud: Should EFCC Be Allowed To Investigate the 21 million naira Fraud? by Jaybee2412(m): 2:19pm On Jun 09, 2007
The Acting Inspector General has made it known that he did not want the involvement of the EFCC in the investigation of the Police Fraud of 21 million Naira. The fact IS that the EFCC is to be responsible for the investigation of any financial fraud. Do you think it is right for the police to investigate itself? Won't that amount to conflict of interest?

Extract from This Day:

Police Fraud: EFCC'll Not Be Invited - Okiro

This Day (Lagos)
NEWS
9 June 2007
Posted to the web 9 June 2007

By Juliana Taiwo
Abuja

The Acting Inspector General of Police, Mike Okiro yesterday said the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) would not be invited to investigate the fraud discovered at the Louis Edet House, the police headquarters.

In a question and answer session with the media, Okiro said the Police had well trained officers and personnel to conduct their investigations without inviting any special agency to do so.

"This case is not going to EFCC. The Police have the people that are capable of carrying out any investigation. So we are not taking this case to any other agency to investigate it for us," the IG said.

Okiro while giving details of how the crime was perpetrated revealed that "two days ago (Wednesday) I got the information that a large sum of money was likely going to be moved out of a certain office from Force Police Headquarters. I asked my men to swing into action and what you just saw is as a result of that action. Some men came to me and said in furtherance of wiping out corruption from the fabric of the Police Force this is what we heard and we want to help you to fight this corruption. The men were put under surveillance and early yesterday (Thursday) morning the men were arrested".

Okiro said the action was in line with his administration's determination not to tolerate corruption especially within the Police Force. "The arrest of some police officers with over N21 million is the effect of our action. As to who owns the money and what the money is meant for is a matter for investigation to unravel. It is too early for me to preempt the result of an investigation. It is not in my habit to tell you the result of any investigation if I tell you anything I have to be sure and I stick to it; so I cannot tell you who owns the money and what it was meant for but the fact is that the money was found," he said.

Okiro aside revealing that three suspects have been arrested, however, refused to reveal their names stressing that "the investigations might bring in more (names) and because those arrested might not be the culprits and so at the end of the day we will have those arrested and those found culpable in the case."

A source at the Police Headquarters revealed to THISDAY on condition of anonymity that the orderly and driver of the Commissioner of Police in charge of Budget, Mr. John Obaniyi had made useful confessions.

He revealed that the men have been under investigation since June 1. He said the men had penultimate Friday night come into the Force Headquarters with two Jeeps allegedly belonging to the former IG, Sunday Ehindero and loaded the vehicle with money mainly hard currency and this was caught on camera. Part of the money was said to be the ones meant for those on UN Peace Missions. They were paid two months instead of six months.

The source also revealed that Ehindero bought the official IG's house for himself against Police management advise that it should be bought for keeps as official residence of the IG. It was also alleged that Ehindero sold the former DIG Admin official residence at Aso Drive to the Executive Chairman of EFCC, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

Though Obaniyi was part of the press conference yesterday, inside source reveals that he has been arrested and placed at the Pent House at the Police Headquarters.

(1) (Reply)

Oil Spillages In Nigeria? / The Man Peter / I Will Become The Nigerian President Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.