Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,914 members, 7,806,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:57 PM

The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions (6975 Views)

South West And Calculations Ahead Of 2023 Presidency / Kogi 2019: Dino Melaye Storms Kogi West And Central (Video) / Israeli Man Tags Nigeria A "Terrible Country" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Simbrixton(m): 7:38pm On May 16, 2020
diplomat058:
More glaringly than ever, it has become a consensus across many divides in the country, ethnic, religious, class and so on, that Nigeria is plagued with such dysfunctional nationalism that the clause, "All is well" can conveniently pass for a legendary joke. From education, welfare, agriculture and other structures that form the major components of the basic Man, to such advancement projects as technology, sports and development, and the political architecture that provides a reflective coordination, the country's ranking has been despicable, to say the least, far below what is found in the ebb of the "right thinking" world.

Responsively, many identify several factors which they believe to be causal of these national anomalies. While some allege the incompatibility of the Nigerian Peoples, spurred by an age long culture of a repressive diversity and differing practices and orientations, others believe that, since the banes of national prosperity cut across ethnic and religious divides, we are better off, together, fighting these setbacks.

While some see these rots as systemic problems, calling for a thorough overhauling cum restructuring to allow increased devolution and regional self determination as thriving instruments of federalism, others understand the entity called Nigeria as a contraption, a product of a foreign conspiracy and a doom that must be outrightly terminated.

In Western Nigeria which is the Yoruba Mainland, various camps have been pitted against each other, to these ends. Some Yorubas are not really keen on Yoruba nationalist affiliations. They believe that the reasons for the current underdevelopment that the country is experiencing are a Nigerian or wholly thing, and that Yorubas may not fare any better in a separate country of their own; after all, we have many corrupt Yorubas in charge, here in the South West, stealing and siphoning the funds meant for the development of the Yoruba nation. Hunger, unemployment, dearth of infrastructure and many other negative indices of development are also registered in the South West, and are partly caused by the greed, resourcelessness and maladministration of those in power in the region.

Having explored these varying mainstream perspectives, the essence of this piece is to collect opinions on some salient emerging issues. These issues are matters arising from the present state of things, and they have been mostly contextualised in inquisitive forms. Some include:

1. What do we Yorubas really want? Is it Restructuring, Oduduwa or neither?

2. If we are to restructure, how do we go about it? Emeka Anyaoku, then Secretary General of the Commonwealth of Nations, once suggested that the present six geopolitical zones be made into federating units, with resource control and fiscal federalism. Do you agree with him?

3. If You, as a Yoruba person, want neither of Restructuring and Oduduwa, are you happy with the status quo? If "NO" is your answer, what other options would you recommend to salvage this sinking ship?

4. If the Yoruba nationhood is to be given a sovereign political expression, would you rather the new nation state is a monarchy or a republic? If Yorubas are to have a republican state, what happens to Ooni, Alaafin, Alake, Awujale and others? Are they to continue being, constitutionally, unrecognized as kings in a Republique, as it is now in Nigeria?

5. How do we ensure we are not creating another Nigeria? Do we go authoritarian to enforce discipline by imposing such capital reprimands as death on corruption and unauthorized outflow of our hard earned forex, or we simply continue the business of hailing and giving 'twales' to our highly esteemed kleptocrats cum politicians and their collaborators?

6. What happens to the other regions and what will our post dissolution relations with them be like?

Please, in a civil fashion, let the opinions roll in.

Cc: Lalasticlala
Mynd44,
Front Page, please.
I support total abolishment

2 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by diplomat058(m): 7:40pm On May 16, 2020
nijabazaar:
Total bullshit

Only an igbo person can restructure this country and that is why the northern oligarchy and its south western puppets are bent on preventing this.

Most Nigerians greatest fear about igbo presidency is not the domination of igbos actually but the fact that an igbo president might mean the end of Nigeria as it is
What gives you the conviction that only an Igbo person can restructure this country? If you didn't know, there are strong willed Yorubas who are hell bent on restructuring. Some are even championing outright secession. Ever heard about the Yoruba World Congress?

12 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Iceberg3: 7:43pm On May 16, 2020
diplomat058:
So, we should move beyond the pettiness of who occupies Aso Rock and focus on how to lift millions out of poverty and leave a prosperous nation for the unborn generation

Good idea. But that's only gonna be possible by God's grace and individual effort, not this bloody zoo.
And again,more importantly,how's that gonna be possible when you yorubas keep bringing retrogressive and backward people to power?

2 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Iceberg3: 7:45pm On May 16, 2020
diplomat058:
What gives you the conviction that only an Igbo person can restructure this country? If you didn't know, there are strong willed Yorubas who are hell bent on restructuring. Some are even championing outright secession. Ever heard about the Yoruba World Congress?

Well what about the yorubas causing division and bad blood in the south?

4 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by diplomat058(m): 7:45pm On May 16, 2020
Odingo1:
Yoruba don't want anything in Nigeria, they are just satisfied with Igbo marginalization and hoping that power will keep on rotating between yoruba and north but in 2023 they will kiss the dust in Nigeria politics and they will never recover in the long run. No future, no ambition, nothing just hope to be receiving monthly allocation from Abuja from Niger delta oil and thats all.
Lol. You should know that, as it stands now, western Nigeria is way prosperous without the oil.

13 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Iceberg3: 7:47pm On May 16, 2020
Simbrixton:
I support total abolishment

Yep,by attacking and criticizing those who are vocally championing same cause,how perfect!
Somebody please say amen o!!!

1 Like

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Odingo1: 7:48pm On May 16, 2020
flokii:

We had it once you know.. until the Nzeogwu coup and emergence of Aguiyi Ironsi as Head of State.

What makes you think another "ironsi" won't rise tomorrow to abolish the true federalism?

This is the reason why I said that Yoruba don't want anything in Nigeria
. If you talk about how to make Nigeria a better place they will start telling you that one Nzeogwu 60 years ago did a coup and Ironsi abolish this that, in next 1 million years they will keep on telling you the same thing. They don't have the braveness to transform their current situation. Imagine Germans saying that it was Hitler that divided their country and bring war,till today they would have remain a backward country today.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Iceberg3: 7:49pm On May 16, 2020
diplomat058:
Lol. You should know that, as it stands now, western Nigeria is way prosperous without the oil.

And you should also know that the prosperity is 90%+ in the hands of northerners

1 Like

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by diplomat058(m): 7:50pm On May 16, 2020
Iceberg3:

Good idea. But that's only gonna be possible by God's grace and individual effort, not this bloody zoo.
And again,more importantly,how's that gonna be possible when you yorubas keep bringing retrogressive and backward people to power?
Are you implying that inept candidates do not come from other regions? And I think your choice of zoo is derogatory. Nigeria is the people that make it up. You are also referring to yourself as part of the zoo

1 Like

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by PeterUdeme: 7:51pm On May 16, 2020
Asgard13:

Osibanjo lost focus.. is clear to him that Hausa Fulani won’t let restructuring sail through and won’t want to be on the blac book of Hausa Fulani ... not that restructuring is not visible.

OBASANJO know say it take strong will to achieve.. not that it can be achieved...

Is a race between rAt and cat... who will bell the cat...

Will take a no nonsense strong willed Nigerian to restructure this country and it stand ... Yoruba’z Have shown is something almost impossible for them..

This is something any strong mind from old eastern state..

One of the major fears of Igbo presidency

Then why didn’t igbo backed gej achieve it?

6 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Iceberg3: 7:52pm On May 16, 2020
Odingo1:

This is the reason why I said that Yoruba don't want anything in Nigeria
. If you talk about how to make Nigeria a better place they will start telling you that one Nzeogwu 60 years did a coup and Ironsi abolish this that, in next 1 million years they will keep on telling you the same thing. They don't have the braveness to transform their current situation. Imagine Germans saying that it was Hitler that divided their country and bring war,till today they would have remain a backward country today.

It's just a hopeless situation with them!!!!!!

They've become so strange

3 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Odingo1: 7:55pm On May 16, 2020
diplomat058:
SW are not more prosperous, don't be deceived by Lagos. Lagos is what is it today because it is the former capital of Nigeria. The white developed it and handed it over to Nigeria as its capital. Lagos and Abuja was developed by Nigerians.

How is Ondo, Ogun, Osun, Oyo, Ekiti faring with other parts of Nigeria, is not the same thing apart from Abuja and Lagos.

5 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by diplomat058(m): 7:56pm On May 16, 2020
Iceberg3:

It's just a hopeless situation with them!!!!!!

They've become so abominable to us other south.
It's like a curse.
what do you mean by yorubas are abominable down south? Pls, stop promoting needles bigotry. The South is as superficial as the entity called Nigeria

9 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Simbrixton(m): 7:58pm On May 16, 2020
Iceberg3:

Yep,by attacking and criticizing those who are vocally championing same cause,how perfect!
Somebody please say amen o!!!
what is your problem
Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Iceberg3: 7:58pm On May 16, 2020
diplomat058:
Are you implying that inept candidates do not come from other regions? And I think your choice of zoo is derogatory. Nigeria is the people that make it up. You are also referring to yourself as part of the zoo

Be honest,who on earth would've thought someone as retrogressive and backward and tribal as buhari will ever be President?!!!

But simply cos you yorubas wanted to spite the igbos, you did.

Well I'm sorry and not sorry for using the term zoo cos right now I'm fuckn sweating profusely and fanning myself with my cloth,in total darkness!!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by diplomat058(m): 7:59pm On May 16, 2020
Odingo1:

SW are not more prosperous, don't be deceived by Lagos. Lagos is what is it today because it is the former capital of Nigeria. The white developed it and hand over to Nigeria as its capital. Lagos and Abuja was developed by Nigerians.

How is Ondo, Ogun, Osun, Oyo, Ekiti fairing with other parts of Nigeria, is not the same thing apart from Abuja and Lagos.
Lagos is part of the SW, I suppose. And on par with most others, Ogun and Oyo are faring very well, more than most actually. The averages are Osun and Ekiti, with Ondo being a petrodollar oil economy. So, the region is still the most prosperous.

12 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Simbrixton(m): 8:00pm On May 16, 2020
Bro secession is the only hope and building stronger ties with the igbos

Please sw youths join opc

That is the only advice I can give

5 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Iceberg3: 8:00pm On May 16, 2020
diplomat058:
what do you mean by yorubas are abominable down south? Pls, stop promoting needles bigotry. The South is as superficial as the entity called Nigeria

Oh you damn well know what I mean.

I'm going to pretend.

4 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Simbrixton(m): 8:06pm On May 16, 2020
nijabazaar:

Mention Biafra and see hordes of hellbent Yorubas attack you.

I find it hard to believe that there is a strong willed Yoruba influential enough to convince his own people about the need for secession. I am most likely to get my Dog to talk than see that kind of Yoruba individual
dude we support biafra

3 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Deputy1111(m): 8:06pm On May 16, 2020
angry
Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by diplomat058(m): 8:06pm On May 16, 2020
Iceberg3:

Be honest,who on earth would've thought someone as retrogressive and backward and tribal as buhari will ever be President?!!!

But simply cos you yorubas wanted to spite the igbos, you did.

Well I'm sorry and not sorry for using the term zoo cos right now I'm fuckn sweating profusely and fanning myself with my cloth,in total darkness!!!!
Well, the choice of Buhari wasn't irrational, to me, in 2015. GEJ performed below expectations and people decided to try Buhari. You know the rigidity of his tenure in the '80s also helped give credence to the APC campaign narrative that Buhari would stamped out corruption, and it worked of course. You can't deter people from exercising their rights of choice.

Besides, the SW is a liberal region, not conservative like many others. The voting ratio was 60:40 in favour of Buhari, but you guys don't talk about the 40% at all. That is prejudice, I think.

And you and I are not zoo inhabitants

12 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by TheRareGem1(f): 8:06pm On May 16, 2020
Presidency is going to Southwest come 2023. Hausa as VP.

Looking at Osinbajo/Zulum. Good choice

1 Like

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by SpecialAdviser(m): 8:07pm On May 16, 2020
Thanks op. Most times I have always been shocked how Yorubas oppose the idea of break up. Most of them spend their time insulting Nnamdi Kanu all over social media. Is it a crisis of confidence or that of courage?

If only we Igbos have what Yorubas have. I mean sea border and economy and perhaps a region is calling for a break up of dysfunctional Nigeria. We would help them take to the street and shout it louder.

I salute the courage and confidence of the Igbos. I now believe they may have played a good role for independence from the British.

Truth be told, Nigeria is heading no where. Have you taken records of the number of kids the north produce every day? They are projecting Nigeria to be more than 500million by 2050. On which resources? Oil from Niger Delta? Any major crisis in Nigeria now, we will start from square one. Look at ordinary Corona. Mtcheeew. Wake up Yorubas. Waiting for 2023 is an insult to being educated. How did Obasanjo presidency help your region.

It is either restructure or total break up.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Iceberg3: 8:07pm On May 16, 2020
Kanu made some statements that didn't go down well with some people. But he didn't make them out of hatred for them.
He did.out of exasperation,out of being fed up with their lackadaisical and lukewarm approach to the shyyyyt from these retrogressive mallams..

And instead of those people to see the bigger picture,they were acting on those words and calling for his head!!!
Calling for the head of the only person bold enough to look the oppressors straight in the eyes!!

Th y even dared him never to set feet on their domain!!!
Sad thing is,they even have what Kanu is fighting for as their agenda!!!

Tell me if that ain't an abomination

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by stonemasonn: 8:08pm On May 16, 2020
Simbrixton:
are the yorubas, ijaws that were killing itshekiri in warri, what about gelegele in edo state

Na bigotry dey worry u

And we yorubas no send we are looking for a way out of Nigeria

Myopic fool
No insult please, let everybody pour his mind.
Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Iceberg3: 8:08pm On May 16, 2020
TheRareGem1:
Presidency is going to Southwest come 2023. Hausa as VP.

Looking at Osinbajo/Zulum. Good choice

Hallelujah
Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by nijabazaar: 8:10pm On May 16, 2020
Simbrixton:
ode u no get sense mumu guy

Dear diplomat guy, you see exactly what I am pointing at.

The mere mention of Biafra will have palisades of Yoruba vagrants lurching for ur neck.

Diplomat, the yoruba want Nigeria, liked it as it is and will die for Nigeria even if it turns to a Zoo.

Let's all shun the pretence

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF / Happy 48th Birthday Governor Amaechi. / Osun Sponsors 20 Youths To Germany For Agricultural Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.