Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,704 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:27 PM

NASA Spacecraft Leaves Our Solar System - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / NASA Spacecraft Leaves Our Solar System (635 Views)

China's Mission To Mars 2021: Unveils Spacecraft, Vehicles And Mock Base (Pics) / Israel's ₦36 Billion Spacecraft Crashed Into Pieces During Moon Landing / NASA Spacecraft Snaps Incredible Photo Of Earth And The Moon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NASA Spacecraft Leaves Our Solar System by supercase1(m): 9:53pm On May 16, 2020
Humanity first left the solar system in 2012 when the Voyager 1 probe passed into interstellar space decades after leaving the planets behind. Now, there’s a second spacecraft beyond the limits of our solar system: Voyager 2. Luckily, Voyager 2’s instruments are in somewhat better shape than Voyager 1’s, so scientists were able to observe the transition from the heliosphere, which is dominated by the sun, to the interstellar medium (ISM). 

Both Voyager probes launched in 1977, with Voyager 2 heading into space a few weeks before Voyager 1. The two probes are physically identical, but they took different paths through the solar system. They took advantage of the “Grand Tour,” an alignment of the planets that occurs only once every 175 years. Voyager 1 visited and got gravity assists from Jupiter and Saturn before heading off toward the edge of the solar system. Voyager 2 swung past Jupter, Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus. It made its last planetary observation of Uranus in 1989, almost a decade after Voyager 1 had started its long march toward the edge of the solar system.

When Voyager 1 reached the edge of our solar system, known as the heliopause, it no longer had a functional plasma spectrometer. As a result, there was some debate about when, exactly, the probe left our solar system. So, we missed the expected transition from warm solar plasma to the denser cold plasma of the ISM. Eventually, measurements of local electrons and magnetic field shifts confirmed it was in interstellar space. 

Voyager 2 has just sent back data proving that it has also crossed the heliopause, and it had a fully functional plasma spectrometer. The transition happened about a year ago in November 2018, and the changeover was roughly in-line with what scientists expected based on Voyager 1’s indirect readings. As Voyager 2 crossed from the heliosphere to the ISM, it detected a 20-fold increase in plasma density. 

The approximate positions of Voyager 1 and 2.

Voyager 1 and 2 crossed the heliopause at roughly the same distance from the sun, 121.6 AU and 119 AU, respectively. However, their exit points were about 150 AU apart. Scientists are studying the discrepancies in the data in hopes of gaining a better understanding of the boundary between our solar system and the wider galaxy. For example, Voyager 2 detected a continuous change in magnetic field directions as it crossed into the ISM, whereas Voyager 1 did not. Voyager 2 has also continued to see low-energy particles from the sun in the ISM, but Voyager 1 didn’t. 

It will be some time before we have more data to study. The only functional probe that has any hope of reaching the heliopause is New Horizons, which is currently flying through the Kuiper Belt. It could leave the solar system around 2040, but we don’t know if it will maintain communication with Earth that long.

Re: NASA Spacecraft Leaves Our Solar System by GamalNasser: 9:54pm On May 16, 2020
Nice
Re: NASA Spacecraft Leaves Our Solar System by Gentlemanforyou: 9:58pm On May 16, 2020
Make una sha no find your nonsense reach the apple tree way God say male bros adam no chop . Coz I no know wetin una dey find upandan

The world has been in existence since billions of years ago . Na your own generation una wan find wetin dey cry inside radio
Re: NASA Spacecraft Leaves Our Solar System by Nobody: 10:08pm On May 16, 2020
Wow nice one for them
Re: NASA Spacecraft Leaves Our Solar System by Empato: 10:12pm On May 16, 2020
Make them go find another planet

We dey come
Re: NASA Spacecraft Leaves Our Solar System by pacino26(m): 10:55pm On May 16, 2020
Gentlemanforyou:
Make una sha no find your nonsense reach the apple tree way God say male bros adam no chop . Coz I no know wetin una dey find upandan

The world has been in existence since billions of years ago . Na your own generation una wan find wetin dey cry inside radio

Guy I tear serious laugh at this old joke. Given the time it has taken both probes to leave our solar system na to kuku try Benin Airways for Interstellar travels be that.

If it were one funny country like that, they would have pulled out funding for the research or one pot bellied f00l will use the funds to buy Lexus SUV. Here a project initiated long before the launch year is still being monitored and studied for improvement.

2 Likes

Re: NASA Spacecraft Leaves Our Solar System by lordm(m): 12:25am On May 17, 2020
I think the universe had no end. Its full of space. That spacecraft won't even leave our galaxy. But I also find this interesting. I which I could travel to space one day and explore, because from space there are no boundaries
Re: NASA Spacecraft Leaves Our Solar System by kay10: 4:22am On May 17, 2020
What nasa should be aiming at now is how our highly tech space craft can reach another galaxy during our lifetime ,I want to believe that we are not alone in this universal, I believe there is another civilization in somewhere hidden after our galaxy or beyond which will take our highly tech spacecraft 70 to 150 years to reach. Again the people on this earth should start think of colonizing another planet in the next 150 years as earth will start having challenges of unknown invasion from outer space, this earth will not continue forever, it only obstacles is when our star (sun) and other planet within our solar system starts having issues among theirself, and also when our sun get older, that is, when it has burns all his fuel, then, there could be a problem for earth. However Our civilization has to continue.
Re: NASA Spacecraft Leaves Our Solar System by supercase1(m): 11:05am On May 18, 2020
lordm:
I think the universe had no end. Its full of space. That spacecraft won't even leave our galaxy. But I also find this interesting. I which I could travel to space one day and explore, because from space there are no boundaries
Buhari and tunubu can help you fund your travel and make your dream come true just tag buhari on twitter wink

(1) (Reply)

UK Tests Jet Suits For Paramedics (Photo, Vid) / The Sun Is Over 4.5 Billion Years Old / How To Download Udemy Paid Courses For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.