Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? (4066 Views)

Reps Reject Motion To Allow Citizens Carry Arms / Mohammed Ahmad: Allow Citizens To Carry Guns, Bandits Not Ready To Surrender / Wanted Kidnapper Who Shoots With 2 AK-47 Guns At The Same Time, Arrested. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Explorers(m): 11:39am On May 17, 2020
From here:

https://www.nairaland.com/5863062/armed-robbers-invade-home-abuja

I saw this scary video on twitter yesterday evening and i couldn't sleep all night. Even though my family is all i have.

What would have happened to the family/occupants of that building if those animals were able to breakdown that strong front door(robbed, raped, murdered)

Imagine there're toddlers/kids, teenagers(girls), pregnant woman, person(s) with HPB, just imagine you're behind that door watching the CCTV, unarmed with something or nothing to give as they were scaling the fence with their long matchete

No 911 to dial.....

They cannot go to our leaders homes because they know they're well guarded/protected.

What about us? They don't care, but we voted them into power/office.

So sad that masses are always the victim of attacks like these(not only robbery) because they know we're not armed and there's no way we can fight back or defend ourselves and families.

They are also aware that rescue/police won't respond in 30mins - 1hr and that's if they will respond at all.

About 2 years ago, robbers invaded my second parents' home around 2am, they scaled the fence but couldn't break the front door just like this.

They tried breaking the door with huge stone which they left behind.

It lasted almost an hour, they screamed, shouted and no one to call, no one came till they left.

I don't blame some men of the PoliceNG who are willing to serve with all they have but performing below expectation.

Are they well equipped(Modern weapons, communication equipments, vehicles, insurance)

A station protecting thousands of citizens living in an area having just 2 old patrol vans.

If police can be 5 - 10mins away from every house/neighborhood in the country, then will all stay safe and there won't be need for this.

I saw a documentary on U.S. Police response sometimes back and i learnt that Beverly Hill, Cali. has the fastest 911 response in U.S.

If you dial 911 in BH, the first responder will arrive in 30-40seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNZVAUeD0ZI

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Explorers(m): 11:39am On May 17, 2020
I'm not talking about AK-47, DSS F2000, or AR-15, M16, M4, or any military grade weapons.

I'm talking about low capacity guns like 9mm handguns, glocks, shotguns, barrels, revolver, cockk&shoot hunting rifles etc.

Years back, you can obtain license for double/single barrel, and shotguns.

Not anymore since the present Administration came onboard. So i heard.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Explorers(m): 11:40am On May 17, 2020
Possession of these weapons will be checked and controlled:

* Gun stores will be government approved/licensed, 2-3 stores in each state with each store having data base, keeping records, transaction history of customers or buyers.

* A family/household cannot purchase/posses more than two guns, (just one gun for single individual) with limited ammo.

* Before an individual or family could purchase one, they must have passed psychiatric tests from a government hospital.

* Occupation, what you do for a living, residence, next of kin will also be checked before purchase and attached to the transaction(Touts, aliens or undocument beings from Niger cannot just walk into the store to purchase). Incase of crime committed with the gun, the bullet casing can be used to trace the owner.

* Citizens cannot carry weapons in public places.

* Parents will have a strong safe with code lock to keep guns out of reach of children.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Explorers(m): 11:40am On May 17, 2020
Government approved/licensed sooting ranges in majors cities of each state in the country.

Citizens, families 18+ can visit, pay and acquire shooting skills.

With this, robbers will think twice before invading people's homes, only when they're aware no one is at home.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Explorers(m): 11:41am On May 17, 2020
Incredible footage showing the moment a Georgia woman rushed out of her bed in the middle of the night and opened fire at three armed men who broke into her house, killing one.

The surveillance footage, released by the Gwinnett County Police Department, shows the intruders all of whom are carrying guns bursting through the front door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvN1EvrYYkk [YouTube] The hottest video right now, don't miss it. (Sharing from UC Mini)

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Nobody: 11:41am On May 17, 2020
Yes, you can. I have 2 Nigerian manufactured AKs at my house in Abeokuta.

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Explorers(m): 11:41am On May 17, 2020
'She exercised her right to defend her livelihood and property,' said Cpl. Deon Washington with the Gwinnett County Police Department.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Zuluhead(m): 11:41am On May 17, 2020
you can have a pump action or double barrel lincense gun.

4 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by AfroMighty(m): 11:42am On May 17, 2020
Most Nigerians are frustrated already bro, they will kill with those guns at a slight provocation

41 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Aboks(m): 11:42am On May 17, 2020
The Fulani man no go gree u want to kill em boys finish

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Cuddlebugie(f): 11:42am On May 17, 2020
Well, the UN says over 70% of illegal firearms in West Africa are in Nigeria....

Firearm acquisition is such an onerous task, yet, bandits/criminals brandish sophisticated firearms with which they maim and kill citizens.

7 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Ningen(m): 11:42am On May 17, 2020
It'll be suicidal to approve. My reasons being;

1. Nigeria as a country is simply too corrupt for the accreditation system to work to perfection.

This implies approval will only empower thugs, psychopaths and fanatics with lethal firearms.

2. We don't have the technology or money to employ the use of ballistic record & fingerprint in case of misuse. Crimes will go unpunished.

3. Our surveillance system is nonexistent. So how do you intend we monitor and regulate distribution of firearms on such a large scale??

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by oluwadabira111(m): 11:43am On May 17, 2020
Government can never approve it don't ask me Why!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by RoyalBlak007: 11:47am On May 17, 2020
The outcome will

be catastrophic

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by starbuck(f): 11:47am On May 17, 2020
Honestly i need a short gun too... I went to police station make enquiries and they said they don't issue licenced guns and even if it's possible, the process will be tedious for me because of my gender...

Sadly, my dad has submitted back his double barrel he had, i can remember him using it on an armed robber that came to our house back when we were little, can't remember if the robber survived it..

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by MaziAlaye(m): 11:50am On May 17, 2020
Herdsmen get already
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by pastie(m): 11:51am On May 17, 2020
Nigeria is not mature for this, let's first eradicate religion and tribal sentiment... They kill more than robbery

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by MJBOLT: 11:52am On May 17, 2020
the average nigerian does not know how to deal with stress,anger and frustration,they take it out on the next available person.imagine what would happen if these average nigerians had easy access to guns,the gun violence in america will look like child's play.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Nobody: 11:53am On May 17, 2020
sad

There are so many important issues to us as a nation other making laws for citizens to own guns.
Over their in the USA the second amendment requiring citizens to own sophisticated weapons is still even under debate,some Democrats even want the act repealed due to cases of frequent mass shootings.

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by flyingpig: 11:54am On May 17, 2020
Cuddlebugie:
Well, the UN says over 70% of illegal firearms in West Africa are in Nigeria.

Tell that to our politicians who during election season, distribute firearms to their thugs for armed intimidation of opponents.

Also, tell that to our security chiefs who don't secure our borders and let armed foreigners invade the country, especially from the North East and North West axis.

Summarily, it is our elites (who ensure we don't live in peace, do farm work and sleep peacefully at nights) that are responsible for sponsoring these undertakers and allowing them into our country.

They don't care because they can secure their households, but they don't let us secure ours by appropriate use of firearms.

5 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by MJBOLT: 11:55am On May 17, 2020
all these you listed dont even work in america,what makes you think it will work in a country like nigeria?

Explorers:

* Gun stores will be government approved/licensed, 2-3 stores in each state with each store having data base, keeping records, transaction history of customers or buyers.

* A family/household cannot purchase/posses more than two guns, (just one gun for single individual) with limited ammo.

* Before an individual or family could purchase one, they must have passed psychiatric tests from a government hospital.

* Occupation, what you do for a living, residence, next of kin will also be checked before purchase and attached to the transaction. Incase one committed a crime with the gun, the bullet casing can be used to trace the owner.

* Parents will have a strong safe with code lock to keep guns out of reach of children.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Nobody: 11:57am On May 17, 2020
undecided

They will not approve because

1~ You will decimate fulani bandits
2~You will exterminate boko boys when they attack

Those in government sponsoring thugs & those killers will never allow it. ever!

Now, a simple solution.

Get a nice gun probably illegal
when some one attacks ur House, shower them with bullets & then make it look like the assailants are the owners of the guns.
Nigerian Security agencies don't do forensics, so you are good to go.

Then go get another gun again, Repeat as often as possible grin

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by chelseamann(m): 11:58am On May 17, 2020
Nigeria is not yet ripe for this..they will just abuse the previlage.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Tissaia(f): 11:59am On May 17, 2020
My Dad have Guns my elder brother too
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by GodPunishBiafra: 11:59am On May 17, 2020
It'd be misused.

Crime rate will increase exponentially.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by GodPunishBiafra: 12:01pm On May 17, 2020
Explorers:

* Occupation, what you do for a living, residence, next of kin will also be checked before purchase and attached to the transaction. Incase one committed a crime with the gun, the bullet casing can be used to trace the owner.

And one night, thieves or politicians thugs will robb the store and pack all the guns...

5 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by merieam16(f): 12:04pm On May 17, 2020
Cos we are wicked people! u'll just be seeing dead people everywhere. even the police dat has d licence u can see how its been misused
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Explorers(m): 12:05pm On May 17, 2020
Zuluhead:
you can have a pump action or double barrel lincense gun.

One user made a comment that it has been suspended. He paid for license and money was later returned. Still searching the handle that first posted the video yesterday.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by LordShiva97(m): 12:05pm On May 17, 2020
Nice idea bro but knowing this country and it's citizens very well, I honestly don't think that this will work. The result will be catastrophic.

Gun ownership for citizens can only work in developed countries, not here. We have a very big problem with keeping records and data in this country, keeping record of who owns what and keeping track of issued weapons will be a very big challenge.

6 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Dackrapper(m): 12:14pm On May 17, 2020
Very soon I'll get a gun, licenced or illegal.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Exmilitant(m): 12:18pm On May 17, 2020
Here in PH City we don't need no licence from government to own kala... Wait till you see ma armoury... But whether you have all the guns in the world, you can still be robbed, kidnapped, raped or assassinated. 'the unexpected beats even the man of valour'.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Government Allow Citizens To Posses Guns At Home For Defence? by Exmilitant(m): 12:21pm On May 17, 2020
starbuck:
Honestly i need a short gun too... I went to police station make enquiries and they said they don't issue licenced guns and even if it's possible, the process will be tedious for me because of my gender...

Sadly, my dad has submitted back his double barrel he had, i can remember him using it on an armed robber that came to our house back when we were little, can't remember if the robber survived it..
you serious 'bout needing one?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Black Axee And Eiye They Opened This Guys Hand His Bone Is Showing - PHOTOS / Dead Bodies Of Three Suspected Robbers Found Floating On Canal In Igando. PHOTOS / Is There Any Nigerian Law Against Civilians In Camouflage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.