Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,449 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:39 PM

Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours (1644 Views)

Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. / Igbos And Yorubas Have Historical Ties – Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Biafrannuke: 1:34pm On May 17, 2020
Below are some of the common surnames shared by Igbos and their neighbours Idoma and in some cases, southern lgala
Onuh
Eneh
Ogbu
odoh
Egwu
Ugwu
Ugwuanyi
Oklobia/ okolobia
Oga
Idoko
omenka
okoh
ehi
ogbodo
Agbo
Oduh,
Egwu
Egbe
Ukah

Add more if you know. What other things do these ethnic groups share in common?
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by DrGoodman: 1:35pm On May 17, 2020
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by WeneWali: 1:40pm On May 17, 2020
True, but to an average yoruba man in Ibadan, all these names belong to omo ibo.

They want to rule nigeria, but they have ZERO knowledge about the country they want to rule. Make dem come carry am na. grin

1 Like

Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Armaggedon: 1:40pm On May 17, 2020
Not all. you missed some names I guess. Ada is a very common name between Igbo's and idoma.
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Biafrannuke: 1:50pm On May 17, 2020
Armaggedon:
Not all. you missed some names I guess. Ada is a very common name between Igbo's and idoma.
Yes. But I'm focusing on surnames as it is a stronger evidence of a shared history.
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by helinues: 1:53pm On May 17, 2020
WeneWali:
True, but to an average yoruba man in Ibadan, all these names belong to omo ibo.

They want to rule nigeria, but they have ZERO knowledge about the country they want to rule. Make dem come carry am na. grin

This thread is about Igbo's common surnames with their neighbors.

Don't derail this thread pls

1 Like

Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by dokiOloye(m): 1:56pm On May 17, 2020
Ogah/Ogar
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Biafrannuke: 2:01pm On May 17, 2020
dokiOloye:
Ogah/Ogar
it's there already.
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Nigeriabiafra80: 2:03pm On May 17, 2020
Hmm
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Nigeriabiafra80: 2:04pm On May 17, 2020
Elechi
Enenche
Amadi
Eze
Obi
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Biafrannuke: 2:10pm On May 17, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:
Elechi
Enenche
Amadi
Eze
Obi
Elechi and Amadi if Idoma at all bear them should be found around Oju and Obi LGA. Do Igbos bear Enenche? I don't think. Just like I doubt if idoma bear Eze and Obi
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by ThatFairGuy: 2:11pm On May 17, 2020
WeneWali:

Why are you always after Yorubas? Why? Have you forgotten during biafra war, Igbos raped and maim your people for refusal to be part of Biafra Republic (a.s.s licking) Which you're doing NOW
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Nigeriabiafra80: 2:24pm On May 17, 2020
Biafrannuke:
Elechi and Amadi if Idoma at all bear them should be found around Oju and Obi LGA. Do Igbos bear Enenche? I don't think. Just like I doubt if idoma bear Eze and Obi
Idoma bears
All this name with igbos
Am only considering enenche and igbos
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Nigeriabiafra80: 2:25pm On May 17, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

Why are you always after Yorubas? Why? Have you forgotten during biafra war, Igbos raped and maim your people for refusal to be part of Biafra Republic (a.s.s licking) Which you're doing NOW
Lies
People who are fighting on survival
Raped no one

1 Like

Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by ThatFairGuy: 2:27pm On May 17, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:
Lies People who are fighting on survival Raped no one
Go and dust your book of history again, seems you are not a student of history
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Nigeriabiafra80: 2:30pm On May 17, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

Igbos raped no one
Rape was a trait of Nigeria army till now
There are many instances where they rape and massacre sub igbo group
Asaba
Adekunle also prove it with his words
Even now idp camp is not spared from Nigeria army
So stop rewriting history
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Biafrannuke: 2:38pm On May 17, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

pls don't derail.
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Unik3030: 2:41pm On May 17, 2020
Biafrannuke:
pls don't derail.
did u caution d person that brought Yoruba to an Igbo thread?
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Okpotokpo: 2:44pm On May 17, 2020
Idoko
Ugbabe
Onoja
Odoja
Ogara
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Biafrannuke: 2:44pm On May 17, 2020
Unik3030:
did u caution d person that brought Yoruba to an Igbo thread?
He has been cautioned by someone already. let the sleeping dog lie.
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Biafrannuke: 2:59pm On May 17, 2020
WeneWali:

Raped who? Where and how?

Are you yorubas not tired of this your baseless propaganda. Where is Nzeogwu from? The one claimed masterminded the 'Igbo coup'. Is he not from the same SS where I come from?

Even my calabar friend who served with me in Ibadan, you yorubas labe them 'omo ibo'. So why are you deceiving yourself here?
pls let's not derail the thread.
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Biafrannuke: 3:02pm On May 17, 2020
Okpotokpo:
Idoko
Ugbabe
Onoja
Odoja
Ogara
Idoko is already there. I don't know about the rest except onoja, although I don't know the meaning.
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Okpotokpo: 3:49pm On May 17, 2020
Biafrannuke:
Idoko is already there. I don't know about the rest except onoja, although I don't know the meaning.
I equally don't know the meaning of those names, but it's very common in northern igbo communities i.e Nnsuka, Enugu ezike etc.
Re: Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours by Nobody: 7:13pm On May 17, 2020
WeneWali:

The most useless entity on Earth are Igbos.

Tomorrow you create another Moniker, claiming kwale in Delta.

This is your moniker for claiming Ikwerre.

What happened to your father's compound.

(1) (Reply)

50 Hausa Proverbs And Idioms / Meet Baba Kekere, A 135years Old Man Who Has Served 3 Alafin Of Oyo / Breaking News: Dr. Ado Ibrahim, The Ohinoyi Of Ebiraland Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.