Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,061 members, 7,807,188 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. (1041 Views)

See The Man That Invented The Famous Alabukun Powder In 1918 / Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago / How Alabukun, 7up, Dry Gin And Lime Work For Abortion. Dos & Don'ts (must Read) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by noble2faith(m): 2:28pm On May 17, 2020
Alabukun, one of the oldest drugs in Nigeria and even still very relevant and popular today. However, not many know the Jacob Odulate aka Blessed Jacob, a Nigerian pharmacist, inventor and entrepreneur, the brain behind the brand.

The Alabukun powder is like St. Louis sugar, a product deep in Nigeria's pop culture. Without any advert or commercial, Alabukun remains insanely popular among generations in Nigeria. It has remained relevant through the years and it is very much a household name.

The medicinal powder which is cheap was discovered by a man called Jacob Sogboyega Odulate. He was born in 1884 in Ikorodu. When he was 14 years old, Odulate was determined to make a name for himself. He trekked from Lagos to Abeokuta in three months.

He then start his pharmaceutical business in the rocky city. In 1918 Jacob Sogboyega Odulate, the Blessed Jacob, sat at the work table in his laboratory, writing the notes which contained the formula for what would ultimately be known as his famous patented medicine, Alabukun Powder that is used to treat everything from a migraine to Myocardial Infarction. 

Odulate's laboratory was located in Sapon, Abeokuta in Ogun state. It was there he mixed ingredients from Liverpool which include acetylsalicylic acid and caffeine to create the powder. A packet of Alabukun is said to contain "760 mg of acetylsalicylic acid and 60 mg of caffeine making a total of 820 mg."

The success of Odulate's drug is down to the fact that it is a mix of European and traditional medicine. Throughout its 10 decades of existence, Alabukun has never been advertised but it is still very much in demand.

One reason why Alabukun was not advertised was because of its ingredients. It would have made it impossible for it to be in commercials. Pharmacists would have forced the drug out of business.

Another reason for Alabukun not having commercials was because it was wildly popular when it came out. There was a huge demand from consumers.

The enduring success of the Alabukun brand is now interwoven into the fabric of modern Nigeria medical history. The Alabukun Powder in particular is displayed and sold in thousands of pharmacies, markets and roadside stalls all over Nigeria. In many states in Nigeria, Alabukun powder is considered to be the obligatory cure-all for almost every ailment. 

In neighbouring countries such as Benin Republic, Ghana and Cameroon, the eye-catching Alabukun brand is to be seen advertised everywhere. Alabukun products are sold in several towns and cities in the USA, the UK, in Europe, Brazil, Jamaica, even as far away as China. You can buy Alabukun products on-line, off-line, under-bridges and over-expressways.

Apart from making the drugs, the energetic Blessed Jacob also produced other brands like Alabukun mentholine, other preparations and an annual journal called Alabukun Almanac which was widely distributed in Abeokuta and eventually all over Nigeria between the 1920s and 1950s.

He died in 1962 at age 78.

Alabukun is 102 years old this year. No Nigerian product comes to mind that is a century old and still relevant.

https://news-af.feednews.com/news/detail/01d6051e2108aad4315f36174028656f?client=news

Cc. Dominique

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by Ofemmanu1: 2:29pm On May 17, 2020
Igbo amaka!
Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by ojun50(m): 2:33pm On May 17, 2020
I knw no wetin my mama see for dat drug till day.

1 Like

Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by Amotolongbo(f): 2:34pm On May 17, 2020
Odulate's laboratory was located in Sapon, Abeokuta in Ogun state. It was there he mixed ingredients from Liverpool which include acetylsalicylic acid and caffeine to create the powder. A packet of Alabukun is said to contain "760 mg of acetylsalicylic acid and 60 mg of caffeine making a total of 820 mg."
So Alabukun is made up of Aspirin and Caffeine!

Little wonder one can’t have the liquid formula due to the instability of Aspirin in water.

I did take the drug while I was young to relieve me of headache.
Alabukun powder was so potent anagelsic then. I don’t know about now cos it has been long I took it.

1 Like

Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by heykims(m): 2:35pm On May 17, 2020
My mum used the hell out of that drug, Alabukun.
It is an NSAID, too much of it can damage the kidney.
Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by Amotolongbo(f): 2:35pm On May 17, 2020
ojun50:
I knw no wetin my mama see for dat drug till day.
That drug is so potent an anagelsic.

It is always hard for our parents to leave or deviate from what they are used to. They are so conservative

1 Like

Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by ojun50(m): 2:42pm On May 17, 2020
Amotolongbo:
That drug is so potent.

It is always hard for our parents to leave or deviate from what they are used to. They are so conservative
headache or pain she take the drug, I hardly see her with another drugs, at a point in time some 1 ask if she drinks and I said No, the person now said the drug is meant for people who drink too much I just left there because I know she doesn't drink.
Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by Amotolongbo(f): 2:44pm On May 17, 2020
ojun50:

headache or pain she take the drug, I hardly see her with another drugs, at a point in time some 1 ask if she drinks and I said No, the person now said the drug is meant for people who drink too much I just left there because I know she doesn't drink.
That is the effect of the caffeine in it

Perhaps she is addicted to the caffeine in it

1 Like

Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 17, 2020
More inventors like this are needed in Nigeria.
Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by Amotolongbo(f): 2:49pm On May 17, 2020
heykims:
My mum used the hell out of that drug, Alabukun.
It is an NSAID, too much of it can damage the kidney.
That is the Aspirin.

The Aspirin is NSAID, not the caffeine
Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by decatalyst(m): 2:50pm On May 17, 2020
Legendary drug

Alabukun and 7up are...

3 Likes

Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by AutosBay(m): 3:16pm On May 17, 2020
rubbish medicine
Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by DamnnNiggarr: 3:43pm On May 17, 2020
Damn Niggarr

He was a real Niggarr

1 Like

Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by Darato: 3:55pm On May 17, 2020
Wow
My family and I really consumed Alabukun oh. It’s no Alabukun no get advert but e dey sell like garri ijebu.
Other medicines like After 5, Yellow Fever, Karaole competed with Alabukun sha.
Pls is Alabukun still N10?
I will check aboki shop this evening to get one grin
Op help us with Mr Jacob’s Photo na
If you have not read the book Atonement you are missing.
Contact me for resume writing, cover letter, LinkedIn optimization, read my signature and call me NOW
Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by illicit(m): 4:34pm On May 17, 2020
This kind of man could have made something for Corona assuming he still lives....

His legacy leaves on
Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by adadike(f): 6:29pm On May 17, 2020
People that knows, Biko can alabukun be used for arthritis ?
Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by Oshlander: 11:00pm On May 17, 2020
Alabukun® the greatest analgesic of all time.

Bí àrá é kò bá yá lehín ójó mèji, lóri dókitá ré.

1 Like

Re: The Man Who Invented The Alabukun Powder. by Passionate888: 11:28pm On May 17, 2020
Wow. Yoruba Ajoke

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Coronavirus: 70 New Cases Recorded In Schools After Reopening / At Age 30, He Already Has A Degree In Medicine And A Distinction In Pharmacy / Flu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.