Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji (1637 Views)

'give Me Power To Spend Security Votes Like Govs' - Wike Lobbies Lawmakers / Gov Adeleke Inspects Osun House In Abuja abandoned for 12 years by APC (pics) / Orji Uzor Kalu Meets Abaribe, T.A. Orji As They Receive Certificate Of Return (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by ojikeebere12: 5:24pm On May 17, 2020
*All payments made in cash

*Gave N5.760b to Abia lawmakers, N7.2b to informants

*Made payments to traditional rulers, others

A former Governor of Abia State, Senator Theodore Orji has furnished the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) with details of how he spent his N38.8billion security votes during his eight years in office.

Orji who was in charge of the state between 2007 and 2015 is being investigated by the anti-graft commission for corruption.

He said he collected N38.8billion as security votes during the period and not N48billion as alleged by the EFCC.

Orji who is currently representing Abia Central Senatorial District in the National Assembly said he shared much of the N38billion with members of the state House of Assembly, his security informants and traditional rulers.

He claimed to have also given part of the money to military units,the police,the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and security agencies as what he called statutory allocations.

In a tell-it-all statement to his interrogators, the former governor said he gave successive members of the State House of Assembly N5. 760billion, at N60million per month, in the eight years.

He also claimed to have paid N75million monthly to security informants in 15 of the 17 local government areas of the state within the same period.

The yet-to-be identified informants allegedly pocketed a total of N7.200billion between 2007 and 2015.

Some of the security agencies, according to him, received N2million per month.

However, he told the interrogators that he does not have a comprehensive list of all the beneficiaries of the largesse because the Government House staff who used to disburse the cash is no more.

He gave the man’s name simply as Felix.

Orji said he did not ask for the list from Felix at the expiration of his tenure as governor.

He only issued directives to Felix on how to share the security votes.

He also said he never collected cash either from the Director of Finance or the Cashier in Government House.

The EFCC insists that Orji collected N48billion in eight years.

It has retrieved five huge bags of documents from the relevant desks in Abia State on the ex-governor’s financial transactions.

Based on Orji’s confessions, the EFCC is expected to arraign him in court soon being in what a source described as “a straightforward case.”

The Nation gathered that the former governor made the revelations during a session on oath in the presence of his lawyer, who he referred to as Edmund.

It was the first time Orji would open up after many years of trying to make him respond to allegations against him.

Orji said he received N370million monthly as security votes in 2007 and N410million monthly from 2008 to 2015.

He said that from his assumption of office up to his exit the funds were distributed in cash. “There were also statutory funds to the security agencies,” he was quoted as saying.

He said the first Speaker in 2007 and the last Speaker in his second term confirmed the receipt of N60million monthly from his security votes.

He said the Majority Leader also attested to the receipt of the monthly cash although he claimed he did not know “ how they shared the money.”

He could not explain what the monthly cash to the lawmakers was meant for or remember the exact amount he was giving the traditional rulers monthly.

Orji admitted that all disbursements by the late Felix were based on his directives.

Usually, according to him, the funds were brought by the Director of Finance (DF)in batches.

The DF would then inform the ex-governor on how much had come and would then be kept in the accounts.

Orji would, in turn, issue directive to the late Felix on what to disburse and to whom.

He was quoted as saying “Felix comes to show me how disbursement is made. After disbursement, Felix keeps the list for safety. As I was leaving the Government House, I didn’t ask him for the list.”

He claimed that he never personally collected any cash from the votes whether from the Director of Finance or Government House cashier.

The funds were channelled through Felix “on my directives,” he said.

The EFCC is still working on the charges against Orji.

But a reliable source told The Nation that investigation had “reached an appreciable stage for trial.”

Continuing, the source said: “We have been on this case since March 2017. Our operatives were painstaking in cracking this case.

“We will arraign ex-governor in court any time from now because the charges are ready. The only challenge is COVID-19 but we won’t allow it to affect the arraignment.

“In the face of the law, he is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the court. The onus is on him to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he did not commit the financial recklessness.”

The source said the use of security votes was the first leg of the ongoing probe of Senator Theodore Orji.

The former governor has been under investigation since November 22, 2018 following a petition from a group, Fight Corruption: Save Nigeria Group

In the March 17, 2017 petition, the group alleged that Orji received and diverted various sums of monies that accrued to Abia State while in office.

The breakdown of the amounts allegedly received by him are as follows:

N383 billion revenue from federation accounts

N55 billion Excess Crude Revenue

N2.3 billion Sure – P

N1.8 billion Ecological funds

N10.5 billion loan from First Bank of Nigeria through the Ministry of Chieftaincy and Local Government Affairs.

N4 billion Loan from Diamond Bank

N12 billion Paris Club refund

*N2 billion Agricultural loan for farmers

*N55 billion ASOPADEC.

https://thenationonlineng.net/how-i-blew-n38-8b-security-votes-in-eight-years-by-ex-governor-orji/

https://thenationonlineng.net/how-i-blew-n38-8b-security-votes-in-eight-years-by-ex-governor-orji/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by PositiveDirect: 5:28pm On May 17, 2020
cheesy
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by kahal29: 5:55pm On May 17, 2020
Chai ..... There is God oooooo
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by AhoadaRivers: 5:59pm On May 17, 2020
T. A Orji and his son Chinedum should spend the rest of their lives in prison.

If that is the only project buhari will execute in the East, we'll thank the lord.

3 Likes

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by odiks: 6:01pm On May 17, 2020
Jesus
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by odiks: 6:02pm On May 17, 2020
AhoadaRivers:
T. A Orji and his son Chinedum should spend the rest of their lives in prison.

If that is the only project buhari will execute in the East, we'll thank the lord.

Amen

1 Like

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 17, 2020
Firstly it's not possible to ask a governor to explain how they spent security vote

This story is fualty

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by Flyingngel(m): 6:29pm On May 17, 2020
Hope it will not go the way of Uzor Kalu.
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by odiks: 6:46pm On May 17, 2020
Igbochief001:
Firstly it's not possible to ask a governor to explain how they spent security vote

This story is fualty

Thank God that you're not efcc

4 Likes

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by livitexguy(m): 7:01pm On May 17, 2020
odiks:

Gbam!! Exactly.

3 Likes

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by Nobody: 7:51pm On May 17, 2020
odiks:

Lol no wonder EFCC loses case anyhow

1 Like

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by GamalNasser: 7:53pm On May 17, 2020
Today Covid is the new security vote
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by merit455(m): 8:11pm On May 17, 2020
All former Governor's are currupt. You that will come here and abuse the man,your own Governor is also currupt......
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by BlueBanana: 8:40pm On May 17, 2020
I have noticed a very sad development being carried out by some people here and I wish to bring that to your notice

I wish to bring to the notice of all nairalanders that there are some imposters posing as Igbos with the sole intent of dividing us and the South South.. I have noticed the schemes of some monickers who hide under the cloak of being Igbos to sabotage the buoyant relationship that exists between the South East and the South south. These monickers are relentlessly trying to bring disunity between Igbos and South south states especially Rivers state.

I do not know the reason for this their malevolent acts but I just want us all to be wary of their machinations and not fall victim of their tricks.

These monickers include Crixx, Kìnematics, KINEMATÌCZ, RIVERS1stson, Portharcourt1stsòn etc

Say No To Divide And Rule

South East and South South Are One

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by kahal29: 2:41am On May 18, 2020
merit455:
All former Governor's are currupt. You that will come here and abuse the man,your own Governor is also currupt......

Mmmmm
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by Injera(f): 2:47am On May 18, 2020
Ibos will leave him but call Tinubu all kinds of names

4 Likes

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by kahal29: 3:18am On May 18, 2020
Injera:
Ibos will leave him but call Tinubu all kinds of names

Hahahaha cheesy
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by Afamed: 4:21am On May 18, 2020
The hypocrite Abaribe senator never bothers if his state is autioned on E bay but would come on the floor of the senate to question every decision of the president.
Number 1 hypocrite in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by JAMO84: 4:29am On May 18, 2020
I have problem with the judiciary. Despite how bad this case looks for Mr Orji, the court might see nothing wrong in it and discharge him.

I AM DONE TALKING

1 Like

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by kahal29: 4:32am On May 18, 2020
Afamed:
The hypocrite Abaribe senator never bothers if his state is autioned on E bay but would come on the floor of the senate to question every decision of the president.
Number 1 hypocrite in Nigeria

No mind that one......

2 Likes

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by Yankee101: 5:05am On May 18, 2020
How do you allocate money without records?

And pay only little amounts to security outfits from so called security votes?
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by jidamsel43(m): 5:37am On May 18, 2020
All politicians are corrupt but the one that is cut is a thief
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by Modphase: 6:13am On May 18, 2020
merit455:
Will this have been you comment if the fraudster is not Igbo ?! Some of you foolish Igbos think you are smart but the foolishness you exhibit radiate brighter than the sum.

I can just imagine if this topic is about Buhari son's bike or Tinubu bullion van. I wonder how many bullion van will contain 49 billion looted by the bastard Theodore Orji foolish Igbos worship.
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by Modphase: 6:18am On May 18, 2020
odiks:

But it is possible for foolish Igbos like you to query Tinubu over his own money he carried in bullion van ba ? Pls according to your pathetic Igbo analysis how many bullion van will. Be needed to ferry 49 billion naira ? Is just 2 like we saw in Tinubu's compound or do will need up to 200 or more of it. If we need more why do foolish Igbos insult Ganduje n Tinubu more than a Theodore Orji that is clearly a multithief that can never be rivaled by Aneinih or Shima Rambo ?!

1 Like

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by neoclassical: 6:23am On May 18, 2020
In as much as I know that T. A. Orji is a thief, it is however necessary to state that every Nigerian Governor is guilty of this. Security vote is like Pocket money to them.
If EFFC wants to prove how security vote is spent by Governors, then all of them will go to jail.

1 Like

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by kahal29: 6:35am On May 18, 2020
neoclassical:
In as much as I know that T. A. Orji is a thief, it is however necessary to state that every Nigerian Governor is guilty of this. Security vote is like Pocket money to them.
If EFFC wants to prove how security vote is spent by Governors, then all of them will go to jail.

At least they have started with this one when they are tru with him then they will go after the other ones.
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by kahal29: 6:37am On May 18, 2020
Modphase:
Foolish unwise Igbos will not open thread on this but keep having nightmare over Lagos.
If you are not a foolish Igbos, should you be discussing such nonsense on thread about how the cursed Abaribe watch Theodore Orji loot Abia to wretch ?! Your head no correct walahi
Foolish Igbos are avoiding this thread I will make sure to cc all the bastard Igbos that rather ignore looting happening right underneath them but instead travel miles away in a foreign n be wailing over Tinubu or Buhari.

Shee?
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by ojikeebere12: 6:40am On May 18, 2020
ojikeebere12:
*All payments made in cash

*Gave N5.760b to Abia lawmakers, N7.2b to informants

*Made payments to traditional rulers, others

A former Governor of Abia State, Senator Theodore Orji has furnished the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) with details of how he spent his N38.8billion security votes during his eight years in office.

Orji who was in charge of the state between 2007 and 2015 is being investigated by the anti-graft commission for corruption.

He said he collected N38.8billion as security votes during the period and not N48billion as alleged by the EFCC.

Orji who is currently representing Abia Central Senatorial District in the National Assembly said he shared much of the N38billion with members of the state House of Assembly, his security informants and traditional rulers.

He claimed to have also given part of the money to military units,the police,the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and security agencies as what he called statutory allocations.

In a tell-it-all statement to his interrogators, the former governor said he gave successive members of the State House of Assembly N5. 760billion, at N60million per month, in the eight years.

He also claimed to have paid N75million monthly to security informants in 15 of the 17 local government areas of the state within the same period.

The yet-to-be identified informants allegedly pocketed a total of N7.200billion between 2007 and 2015.

Some of the security agencies, according to him, received N2million per month.

However, he told the interrogators that he does not have a comprehensive list of all the beneficiaries of the largesse because the Government House staff who used to disburse the cash is no more.

He gave the man’s name simply as Felix.

Orji said he did not ask for the list from Felix at the expiration of his tenure as governor.

He only issued directives to Felix on how to share the security votes.

He also said he never collected cash either from the Director of Finance or the Cashier in Government House.

The EFCC insists that Orji collected N48billion in eight years.

It has retrieved five huge bags of documents from the relevant desks in Abia State on the ex-governor’s financial transactions.

Based on Orji’s confessions, the EFCC is expected to arraign him in court soon being in what a source described as “a straightforward case.”

The Nation gathered that the former governor made the revelations during a session on oath in the presence of his lawyer, who he referred to as Edmund.

It was the first time Orji would open up after many years of trying to make him respond to allegations against him.

Orji said he received N370million monthly as security votes in 2007 and N410million monthly from 2008 to 2015.

He said that from his assumption of office up to his exit the funds were distributed in cash. “There were also statutory funds to the security agencies,” he was quoted as saying.

He said the first Speaker in 2007 and the last Speaker in his second term confirmed the receipt of N60million monthly from his security votes.

He said the Majority Leader also attested to the receipt of the monthly cash although he claimed he did not know “ how they shared the money.”

He could not explain what the monthly cash to the lawmakers was meant for or remember the exact amount he was giving the traditional rulers monthly.

Orji admitted that all disbursements by the late Felix were based on his directives.

Usually, according to him, the funds were brought by the Director of Finance (DF)in batches.

The DF would then inform the ex-governor on how much had come and would then be kept in the accounts.

Orji would, in turn, issue directive to the late Felix on what to disburse and to whom.

He was quoted as saying “Felix comes to show me how disbursement is made. After disbursement, Felix keeps the list for safety. As I was leaving the Government House, I didn’t ask him for the list.”

He claimed that he never personally collected any cash from the votes whether from the Director of Finance or Government House cashier.

The funds were channelled through Felix “on my directives,” he said.

The EFCC is still working on the charges against Orji.

But a reliable source told The Nation that investigation had “reached an appreciable stage for trial.”

Continuing, the source said: “We have been on this case since March 2017. Our operatives were painstaking in cracking this case.

“We will arraign ex-governor in court any time from now because the charges are ready. The only challenge is COVID-19 but we won’t allow it to affect the arraignment.

“In the face of the law, he is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the court. The onus is on him to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he did not commit the financial recklessness.”

The source said the use of security votes was the first leg of the ongoing probe of Senator Theodore Orji.

The former governor has been under investigation since November 22, 2018 following a petition from a group, Fight Corruption: Save Nigeria Group

In the March 17, 2017 petition, the group alleged that Orji received and diverted various sums of monies that accrued to Abia State while in office.

The breakdown of the amounts allegedly received by him are as follows:

N383 billion revenue from federation accounts

N55 billion Excess Crude Revenue

N2.3 billion Sure – P

N1.8 billion Ecological funds

N10.5 billion loan from First Bank of Nigeria through the Ministry of Chieftaincy and Local Government Affairs.

N4 billion Loan from Diamond Bank

N12 billion Paris Club refund

*N2 billion Agricultural loan for farmers

*N55 billion ASOPADEC.

https://thenationonlineng.net/how-i-blew-n38-8b-security-votes-in-eight-years-by-ex-governor-orji/

https://thenationonlineng.net/how-i-blew-n38-8b-security-votes-in-eight-years-by-ex-governor-orji/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by Racoon(m): 6:42am On May 18, 2020
shocked Yet this is allegedly one of the crooks sitting in the NASS making law for Nigeria? We have lost morality.Orji Uzor Kalu and TA Orji must go behind bars.

1 Like

Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by ojikeebere12: 6:45am On May 18, 2020
Modphase:

But it is possible for foolish Igbos like you to query Tinubu over his own money he carried in bullion van ba ? Pls according to your pathetic Igbo analysis how many bullion van will. Be needed to ferry 49 billion naira ? Is just 2 like we saw in Tinubu's compound or do will need up to 200 or more of it. If we need more why do foolish Igbos insult Ganduje n Tinubu more than a Theodore Orji that is clearly a multithief that can never be rivaled by Aneinih or Shima Rambo ?!

You don see am nah
Re: How I Blew N38.8b Security Votes In Eight Years By Ex - Governor T. A Orji by kahal29: 6:46am On May 18, 2020
Racoon:
shocked Yet this is allegedly one of the crooks sitting in the NASS making law for Nigeria? We have lost morality.TA Orji must go behind bars.

So you know

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Government Declares Resumption Date For Schools / Buhari To Continue As Nigeria's President If Election Fails To Hold (photo) / The Deadly Alliance Between Nnamdi Kanu And Ambazonian Terror Group.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.