Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

Nigerian National Symbols - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian National Symbols (31935 Views)

Flags, Coats Of Arms, Symbols And Monuments Of Nigerian States (2023) / Flags, Coats Of Arms, Symbols And Monuments Of Nigerian States / Nigerian National Symbols (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian National Symbols by jayworld15(m): 8:48pm On May 18, 2020
rottencorpse:
1. Nigerian Coat of Arms

To give its own meaning, there are various things found on the Nigerian Coat of Arms which include .2 white horses, a shield, 2 bands, an eagle and a green plant (cactus) at the down part of the shield.

The white horses symbolize dignity, the black shield represents fertile soil, the eagle means strength, the bands which look like the letter Y represent River Niger and Benue, and finally the green plant symbolizes rich soil and beauty of the land. The Nigerian Motto which is written boldly on the coat of arm is ‘’Unity and Faith’’.

2. Nigerian National Flag

The Nigerian National flag was for the first time raised on 1st October 1960 after it had being designed in the year 1959 by Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi who was from Ibadan the capital of Oyo State in the western part of the country. He was a student in London. There are two colours on the Nigerian Flag which are Green and White whereby it’s vertically divided into three equal parts. The Green represents agriculture while on the other hand, the white represents peace and wealth and prosperity of a country.

Rules that guide the Nigerian Flag

There are some rules governing the hoisting of the Nigerian Flag and its maintenance which are listed below:

First of all, on no account should any other flag be raised higher than the Nigerian flag. On the other hand, it must be raised at sunrise and lowered at sunset.
Another rule is that the Nigerian flag must be hung on important days or any important event and should be hoisted at half-length to respect the fallen heroes.
Finally, if for any reason, the Nigerian flag gets torn, it must be destroyed and replaced immediately.

3. Nigerian National Anthem

The Nigerian National anthem was adopted in 1978 and composed by the then Nigerian Police Band which includes Eme Etim Akpan, John A Ilechukwu Sota Omoigui, P. O. Aderibigbe and B A Ogunnaike led by Benedict E. Odiase. The Anthem has two stanzas where by different words were put in place to make sure that something must be sung in the country to show respect and honour.

The anthem raises the faith of Every Nigerian and also reminds us of our unity as well as common goals which must be achieved. It also talks about the aims and aspirations for the coming generation.

Here is the Nigerian National Anthem:

Ist Stanza

Arise, O compatriots
Nigeria's call obey
to serve our fatherland
with love and strength and faith.
The labour of our heroes past
shall never be in vain,
to serve with heart and might
one nation bound in freedom
Peace and unity.

2nd Stanza

Oh God of creation,
direct our noble cause
Guide thou our leaders right
Help our youths the truth to know
In love and honesty to grow
And living just and truth
Great lofty heights attain
To build a nation where peace
And justice shall reign

4. National Pledge

In September 1976, the National pledge was written by a Nigerian Professor, by name Prof (Mrs) Felicia Adebola. The Nigerian National pledge is known to be an oath of compliance of support of the country. Most times, the National anthem is sung followed by the National Pledge.

It has therefore being decreed that in all schools, students should recite the National Pledge every day. It is always recited on attention, moreover, it is one thing to say it and it is another thing to abide by what it says.

This is the National Pledge below:

I pledge to Nigeria my country

To be faithful loyal an honest

To serve Nigeria with all my strength

To defend her unity

And uphold her honour and glory

So help me God

Nigerian Naira

The Central Bank of Nigeria is the only authorized issuer of the Naira. On different denominations of the Nigerian Naira, the pictures of heroes of the Nigerian country are inscribed. The 50 naira note most especially denotes unity in diversity where different major tribes are seen in it.

Furthermore, we all know that every country in the world also have their own legal tender which symbolizes their currency. For instance, USA uses Dollar, Benin republic uses Franc, Ghana uses Cedis and Nigeria uses Naira. The naira is Nigeria’s official symbol of legal tender since 1973 so where ever you see the Naira, one should know that it’s for Nigeria.

You forgot to add
Corruption
Embezzlement
Low self esteem
Wicked leaders
Myopic Citizens
Kidnapping
Fulani militia
Terrorism
Militancy
Cultism
Hoe-low-show-ism
Nairaland miscreants grin
Agberoism
Police drunken master in snake’s shadow
Arm robbery
G Niggas and G+
Husband murderers
Bastard children givers
Etc
These are also Nigerian symbols. Don’t you think so? grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Hotspotbro(m): 8:50pm On May 18, 2020
I pity Those poor horses that have been standing since 1960 and our leaders can't maintain them.... B4 they collapse from Nigerian stress.
Op who cares about a shitty flag? I know a guy whose Nigerian Flag is so dirty...... Who fucking cares?

Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Evergreen4(m): 8:51pm On May 18, 2020
PrincessB1:
Hmmm
one of the definition from Merriam Webster dictionary

Re: Nigerian National Symbols by tomju(m): 8:54pm On May 18, 2020
Op you didnt mention the Nigeria National flower! Its found on the coats of arms. Natural yellow in nature but painted red! in coats of arms
The National Flower of Nigeria: Costus Spectabilis. The national flower of the country is Costus Spectabili, in other words, it is Yellow Trumpet. The flower is painted on the Coat of Arms but for an inexplicable reason, the flowers are painted red.
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Alvelt14(m): 8:59pm On May 18, 2020
jrjfjfj:
All I know is Oduduwa Republic #OduduwaRepublic
Keep on deceiving urself
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Alvelt14(m): 8:59pm On May 18, 2020
jrjfjfj:
All I know is Oduduwa Republic #OduduwaRepublic
Keep on deceiving urself
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Queenyprinxex(f): 9:03pm On May 18, 2020
dairykidd:

There was even 50 kobo note cheesy
Macsjebs:

Yeah, there was, lol
It must have worth a fortune back then, I consider #20 a waste of note let alone #1.
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Nobody: 9:05pm On May 18, 2020
Queenyprinxex:

It must have worth a fortune back then, I consider #20 a waste of note let alone #1.
Yeah, 5 naira is technically gone too, can't even buy anything again

1 Like

Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Starhearts: 9:08pm On May 18, 2020
Over to u

I will wait for my comment to comment itself
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Starhearts: 9:10pm On May 18, 2020
Yeye post .

Nairaland have turned to dumping site
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by lawalbo(m): 9:17pm On May 18, 2020
The Nigerian flag don suffer for some organization. Dem no dey lower the thing at all. Once it has been hoisted come rain come sun na dere e dey remain. Some Don turn brown sef
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by alphaRego01(m): 9:18pm On May 18, 2020
Nigeria na SCAM
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Jahwinaboy(m): 9:20pm On May 18, 2020
PrincessB1:
State or Country?
State can also be likened to country or nation

1 Like

Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Jahwinaboy(m): 9:23pm On May 18, 2020
jayworld15:

You forgot to add Corruption Embezzlement Low self esteem Wicked leaders Myopic Citizens Kidnapping Fulani militia Terrorism Militancy Cultism Hoe-low-show-ism Nairaland miscreants grin Agberoism Police drunken master in snake’s shadow Arm robbery G Niggas and G+ 419 Husband murderers Bastard children givers Etc These are also Nigerian symbols. Don’t you think so? grin grin grin

I think so buddy. You damn right. Especially Myopic citizens.
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Jasparrow1: 9:36pm On May 18, 2020
lawalbo:
The Nigerian flag don suffer for some organization. Dem no dey lower the thing at all. Once it has been hoisted come rain come sun na dere e dey remain. Some Don turn brown sef
I swear grin grin that flag go dey say "had I know"? grin
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by highbee02: 9:48pm On May 18, 2020
The Op didn't tell us about the alteration on the flag, the one up there was not the original flag designed by Taiwo Akinkunmi, it has red colour in form of sun shine
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Nobody: 10:10pm On May 18, 2020
Liposure:
Nigeria is the greatest nation on earth
i believe you
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Heineken(m): 10:13pm On May 18, 2020
See as the flag fine.. I need wallpaper sef but na taboo to use am... The phone fit blow because of corruption.
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by merits(m): 10:32pm On May 18, 2020
The symbol that cannot provide palliative for her citizens during this lockdown is not a good symbol.

Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Legendguru: 11:38pm On May 18, 2020
Oh
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Nobody: 12:05am On May 19, 2020
my own version of nigerian national anthem A RISE O COME PATRIOTS NIGERIA'S CALL OBEY TO SERVE OUR FATHERLAND WITH LOVE AND STRESS AND FAITH THE LABOUR OF OUR HEROES PAST IS ALREADY IN VAIN TO SERVE WITH HEART AND MIND ONE NATION BOUND IN POVERTY HUNGER ND STARVATION. I PLEDGE TO NIGERIA MY COUNTRY TO BE FAITHFUL LOYAL AND HONEST TO SERVE NIGERIA WITH NONE OF MY STRENGHT I DONT CARE ABOUT HER UNITY I WONT UPHOLD HER HONOUR AND GLORY SO HELP ME GOD TO LEAVE NIGERIA #AMEN
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Asiwaju9ja(m): 1:37am On May 19, 2020
rottencorpse:
1. Nigerian Coat of Arms

To give its own meaning, there are various things found on the Nigerian Coat of Arms which include .2 white horses, a shield, 2 bands, an eagle and a green plant (cactus) at the down part of the shield.

The white horses symbolize dignity, the black shield represents fertile soil, the eagle means strength, the bands which look like the letter Y represent River Niger and Benue, and finally the green plant symbolizes rich soil and beauty of the land. The Nigerian Motto which is written boldly on the coat of arm is ‘’Unity and Faith’’.

The Nigerian National flag was for the first time raised on 1st October 1960 after it had being designed in the year 1959 by Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi who was from Ibadan the capital of Oyo State in the western part of the country. He was a student in London. There are two colours on the Nigerian Flag which are Green and White whereby it’s vertically divided into three equal parts. The Green represents agriculture while on the other hand, the white represents peace and wealth and prosperity of a country.

There are some rules governing the hoisting of the Nigerian Flag and its maintenance which are listed below:

First of all, on no account should any other flag be raised higher than the Nigerian flag. On the other hand, it must be raised at sunrise and lowered at sunset.
Another rule is that the Nigerian flag must be hung on important days or any important event and should be hoisted at half-length to respect the fallen heroes.
Finally, if for any reason, the Nigerian flag gets torn, it must be destroyed and replaced immediately.

The Nigerian National anthem was adopted in 1978 and composed by the then Nigerian Police Band which includes Eme Etim Akpan, John A Ilechukwu Sota Omoigui, P. O. Aderibigbe and B A Ogunnaike led by Benedict E. Odiase. The Anthem has two stanzas where by different words were put in place to make sure that something must be sung in the country to show respect and honour.

The anthem raises the faith of Every Nigerian and also reminds us of our unity as well as common goals which must be achieved. It also talks about the aims and aspirations for the coming generation.

Ist Stanza

Arise, O compatriots
Nigeria's call obey
to serve our fatherland
shall never be in vain,
Peace and unity.

2nd Stanza

Oh God of creation,
direct our noble cause
And justice shall reign

4. National Pledge

In September 1976, the National pledge was written by a Nigerian Professor, by name Prof (Mrs) Felicia Adebola. The Nigerian National pledge is known to be an oath of compliance of support of the country. Most times, the National anthem is sung followed by the National Pledge.

It has therefore being decreed that in all schools, students should recite the National Pledge every day. It is always recited on attention, moreover, it is one thing to say it and it is another thing to abide by what it says.

To defend her unity

So help me God

Nigerian Naira

The Central Bank of Nigeria is the only authorized issuer of the Naira. On different denominations of the Nigerian Naira, the pictures of heroes of the Nigerian country are inscribed. The 50 naira note most especially denotes unity in diversity where different major tribes are seen in it.

Furthermore, we all know that every country in the world also have their own legal tender which symbolizes their currency. For instance, USA uses Dollar, Benin republic uses Franc, Ghana uses Cedis and Nigeria uses Naira. The naira is Nigeria’s official symbol of legal tender since 1973 so where ever you see the Naira, one should know that it’s for Nigeria.

All of these na wetin we learn for primary school those days. Now many adults nor know am because of the bastardize educational system.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Nobody: 1:57am On May 19, 2020
OsuIgboIpob:

Could have been a complete package if you added our coins too.
Go and create your own thread and then add the coins. Mtchewww
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Nobody: 2:00am On May 19, 2020
mmars:
The Nigeria flag for my secondary school na dey always wash am after the every term ends that flag suffer the soap wet i use wash bleach the flag every thing just turn to lemon he get one time the flag tear nobody even replaced am for a whole term after end of year party me and head master went to go and remove the rag after that day our school never had another flag
That one self still.dey my house i DE use am mop floor
I'll make sure you get arrested for this!. Lol...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian National Symbols by OsuIgboIpob: 4:18am On May 19, 2020
rottencorpse:
Go and create your own thread and then add the coins. Mtchewww
Then, you created a stupid and thread for only cheap attention then.
Now take your likes and shares to the banks boi.
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by dukeprince50: 6:56am On May 19, 2020
PrincessB1:

State or Country?
He is correct, Nigeria can be called a state, a sovereign nation
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Emperormartin(m): 7:10am On May 19, 2020
"I pledge to Nigeria my kpomkwem
25 Kobo ruler and pencil
To serve Nigeria is not by force
To defend is Stupidity
And appolo abiala my country
So help me God"

That was how we derided and mocked the national anthem in the 80's and 90's as kids in the East...

Forget story! Patriotism is long lost!
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by letu(m): 7:56am On May 19, 2020
rottencorpse:
1. Nigerian Coat of Arms

Ist Stanza

Arise, O compatriots
Nigeria's call obey
to serve our fatherland
shall never be in vain,
Peace and unity.

2nd Stanza

Oh God of creation,
direct our noble cause
And justice shall reign

4. National Pledge

To defend her unity

So help me God

Nigerian Naira

Well the latest Agu nechemba Ala Biafra in action. grin grin grin grin

Re: Nigerian National Symbols by ADBA3005(m): 9:05am On May 19, 2020
Being a bona fide Nigerian, I cherish singing and reciting my national anthem and I endeavour to be a patriot!
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Stomoney(m): 9:55am On May 19, 2020
Na only ibo and yoruba dey sit dey compose, wetin the arewa fit do self or na to just loot the country like there papa "abacha"
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Rainbow219(m): 11:51am On May 19, 2020
Hmm this is Nigeria where the symbols are no longer important
Re: Nigerian National Symbols by Nobody: 12:05am On May 20, 2020
OsuIgboIpob:

Then, you created a stupid and thread for only cheap attention then.
Now take your likes and shares to the banks boi.
See this mumu o.. E be like say you dey craze

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Arrest CAN President Ayokunle, Danjuma La’ah - Council Of Imams / Customs Intercepts Container-Load Of Guns In Lagos / $460,000 Forfeiture: Tinubu Qualified To Contest, It Was A Civil Matter - PEPT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.