Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,833 members, 7,806,343 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words (6507 Views)

20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing / 7 World Famous Words That Originated In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Adefemi404: 9:44pm On May 17, 2020
1. Amen: In Yoruba Language it is pronounced "ase" while in Igbo Language it is pronounced "ise" but they both mean "so shall it be" (a term used at the end of prayers).

2. Ear: The Yorubas called ear "eti" in the their dialect while the Igbos call it "nti" but they both means ear which is a part of the body used for hearing.

3. Fever: In this case, both in yourba and Igbo Language, Fever is called "Iba"....

Check out more words
[https://real-global-info..com/2020/05/8-igbo-words-that-have-sound-and.html]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by espn(m): 10:11pm On May 17, 2020
Nice write up...

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Starthemes(m): 10:27pm On May 17, 2020
espn:
Nice write up...

This is just crazy grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Yustash001(m): 11:12pm On May 17, 2020
Hausa share lots of word with Yoruba......

Keke meaning bicycle

Rakunmi meaning Camel

Ada meaning Cutlass

Ishana meaning matches,Hausa call it ashana

Titi meaning road

Alubosa meaning onion

Atarudu, a variety of pepper. ..Yoruba call it atarodo

Tatase too, another variety of pepper

All share the same name in Hausa and Yoruba

10 Likes

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by espn(m): 11:16pm On May 17, 2020
Yustash001:

Keke meaning bicycle

Rakunmi meaning Camel

Ada meaning Cutlass

Titi meaning road

Alubosa meaning onion

nice one...

3 Likes

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by YungMillionaire: 11:19pm On May 17, 2020
No big deal. Yoruba, Igbo and Igala used to be the SAME language. In fact Igala still sounds exactly the same as Yoruba.

8 Likes

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by otipoju(m): 11:21pm On May 17, 2020
That shows you how connected we all are. The more enlightened you become, the more you realize the foolishness of tribal bigotry.

37 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by emorse(m): 11:30pm On May 17, 2020
otipoju:
That shows you how connected we all are. The more enlightened you become, the more you realize the folly of tribal bigotry.

GBAM!!!!

The sooner we all realise this, the better for all of us. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening anytime soon because the political class will continue to deliberately steer our thoughts in the opposite direction.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by emorse(m): 11:34pm On May 17, 2020
otipoju:
That shows you how connected we all are. The more enlightened you become, the more you realize the folly of tribal bigotry.

GBAM!!!!

The sooner we all realise this, the better for all of us. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening anytime soon because the political class will continue to deliberately steer our thoughts in the opposite direction.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Raydos: 1:13am On May 18, 2020
espn:
Nice write up...

You don spoil market for OP cheesy

5 Likes

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Iscoalarcon: 4:44am On May 18, 2020
Yustash001:

Keke meaning bicycle

Rakunmi meaning Camel

Ada meaning Cutlass

Titi meaning road

Alubosa meaning onion

most of those names you mentioned were copied by Yorubas from Hausa especially Tatase, Atarugu and albasa you guys only modified them to suit your taste

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by ybalogs(m): 6:13am On May 18, 2020
otipoju:
Not sure a saner observation will be made on NL today. May God bless you for this.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Yustash001(m): 6:17am On May 18, 2020
Iscoalarcon:
most of those names you mentioned were copied by Yorubas from Hausa especially Tatase, Atarugu and albasa you guys only modified them to suit your taste
What's this one saying?
Did I deny the fact?...Is it today languages borrow words from one another?

Even Hausa borrowed uncountable words from Arabic.....

2 Likes

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Haywhymido(m): 6:38am On May 18, 2020
Yoruba - enu ( mouth) Ibo - onu(mouth)

1 Like

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by jidxin(m): 6:39am On May 18, 2020
Yustash001:

Keke meaning bicycle

Rakunmi meaning Camel

Ada meaning Cutlass

Titi meaning road

Alubosa meaning onion

some of this words are borrowed from the hausa.. Eg rakumi and alubosa

1 Like

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Haywhymido(m): 6:44am On May 18, 2020
Iscoalarcon:
stop feeling funky. Do you actually think those words are hausa words?Most of them and other words are borrowed from arabic.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by agadez007(m): 7:27am On May 18, 2020
Iscoalarcon:
Except for maybe Atarodo,Ata is pepper in Yoruba don't know what it is in hausa
Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Meto1234(m): 7:54am On May 18, 2020
NICE ONE
Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:35am On May 18, 2020
But they don't have the same sounds nah undecided

Those things you wrote up there does not have the same sounds!!!

Eti and nti undecided ; ase: Ise have the same sounds

Maybe na me no understand English again grin cheesy grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by pek(m): 8:42am On May 18, 2020
They don't have the same sounds.
Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by laivwire(m): 8:47am On May 18, 2020
Yustash001:

Keke meaning bicycle

Rakunmi meaning Camel

Ada meaning Cutlass

Titi meaning road

Alubosa meaning onion

Òrò àyálò
Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Randy100: 8:49am On May 18, 2020
There was a time I visited Kajola in Ondo state for a clinical outreach. We were to stay one week sha. In the evening as per say I love footbal. I went to play with the boys. I was shocked when I was bouncing the ball with my legs and I heard one yoruba guy say "gba boolu" I swear that was Igbo language. I later learnt that Yoruba stole or more like borrowed gba(shoot) from Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Iscoalarcon: 9:30am On May 18, 2020
Haywhymido:
stop feeling funky. Do you actually think those words are hausa words?Most of them and other words are borrowed from arabic.
yes I know Hausa borrowed them from the Arabs and modify them but then the Yorubas borrowed the Hausa Version and modify it again to suit their taste
Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by adzone: 9:32am On May 18, 2020
Very interesting similarities

Advertise for free on www.adzone.ng

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by 1shortblackboy: 9:39am On May 18, 2020
Nairaland resident tribal bigots will not like this

1 Like

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by ABCthings: 9:53am On May 18, 2020
I've since notice it. A lots of word look similar.

More;
Eng : Yoruba : Igbo

Soup: Obe. : Ofe

Stone : Okuta. : Okwute
Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by ceereelee: 9:54am On May 18, 2020
English-palmwine Igbo-paammi yoruba- pami
Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Haywhymido(m): 9:56am On May 18, 2020
Iscoalarcon:
yes I know Hausa borrowed them from the Arabs and modify them but then the Yorubas borrowed the Hausa Version and modify it again to suit their taste
expicit enough
Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by UndauntedYOCA(f): 10:32am On May 18, 2020
Yustash001:

Keke meaning bicycle

Rakunmi meaning Camel

Ada meaning Cutlass

Titi meaning road

Alubosa meaning onion

Wow, this is good, however, the word for onions is borrowed from the Arabic word "basl/bsal/albasl/albasl/albasal". Hausa's borrowed it from the Arabs and I guess Yoruba's in turn did same.

1 Like

Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Island01: 10:39am On May 18, 2020
Sign up in chipper and start making 1000 and above, you will get an instant 250naira after sign up, the money can also be paid out to your account, check my signature and thank me later.. have a blessed week
Re: 8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words by Edopesin: 10:55am On May 18, 2020
Yustash001:

Keke meaning bicycle

Rakunmi meaning Camel

Ada meaning Cutlass

Titi meaning road

Alubosa meaning onion

Some parts of Edo also call alubosa onions

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This Giant Wolf Head From 40,000 Years Ago Was Discovered In Russia(pics). / See How To Get Bluesky Invite Code For FREE In 5 Minutes / University Of Abuja Latest News.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.